Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2006, 00:07   #4906
JPL
BHPian

Hi Again, coming to maximum bang for the Buck

Hi Again,

Previously my budget was 35k, including the HU that I alreayd have. Later I increased my budget for the speaker to 25k. And I did for got advice from all, especially hydra; a dtailed post.

Now, coming to today, 24/12/2006 ( lol its 15 mins to 12 now) I have increased my budget for the speakers amps and cables to 40k so that comes to 55k in total.

So, hydra, coming to bang for the buck, I have decided on the insane 100w rms blau velocity's and you guessed it right.

I want to drive that using the JBL cs60.4 to drive that at 80w rms at 2 ohms, now the question is how do I do that to drive at 2 ohms for 80wrms?

Also, the velocity will cost me Rs.9800/- for a pair, can you suggest something that is better for the same price or a better speaker for a little higher price.

I really dont know where I can get a demo for Hertz Esk 165 also, also I will be playing classic rock and heavy metal and ocassionally some heavy bass hip hop.

I really did not notice the metallic sound, still a newbie right, anyways Hydra your comments are god send for me . Also other experts please help me out.

You guys know now, how I desperate Iam in search for the sound of music in my car.

Please advise,

Thanks again.

JPL
Old 25th December 2006, 13:24   #4907
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post

BTW, Sam, can one get the Perfect 10.1 with B&W in India? I couldnt find any in Pune. How much does it cost? I heard they discontinued it for the 10.1 DVC. True? Crutchfield has a buy one get one free on the 10.1 which brings the price to $75!! (drool)
No you cannot buy the perfect from a store in India, however it can be ordered from a JBL store. The Kappa perfect 10" at $75 is a steal, go for it. How will you bring them down?
Old 25th December 2006, 14:00   #4908
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Also, the velocity will cost me Rs.9800/- for a pair, can you suggest something that is better for the same price or a better speaker for a little higher price.

I really dont know where I can get a demo for Hertz Esk 165 also, also I will be playing classic rock and heavy metal and ocassionally some heavy bass hip hop.
You can go to Sprocket to check out most of these brands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
No you cannot buy the perfect from a store in India, however it can be ordered from a JBL store. The Kappa perfect 10" at $75 is a steal, go for it. How will you bring them down?
Our RSJaurr got a pair from the US too... he has a brand new Kappa 10" lying around... he only used one of them. Why not pick it up from him...

Last edited by gunbir : 25th December 2006 at 14:04.
Old 25th December 2006, 14:53   #4909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPL View Post
Previously my budget was 35k, including the HU that I alreayd have. Later I increased my budget for the speaker to 25k. ..... I have increased my budget for the speakers amps and cables to 40k so that comes to 55k in total.
Budget-breaking is what the ICE section in famous, uhhh... notorious for :-)

JPL, you can't use an amp at 2 ohms to drive a regular speaker at 4 ohms. The installers do some parallel/series wiring magic to get subs and amps to work across various impedances, but not regular speakers (comps, co-axes etc.). You'll be able to get the 80w RMS @ 2ohms only when you drive a 2 ohm speaker. AT 4ohms, the CS60.4 puts out 60w RMS.

Between the Velocitys and the Hertz ESK165s, I personally would go for the ESK165s -- I fell in love with their sound the first time I heard them. You can also consider Infinitys but they may be a bit costlier. And they sound a little laid back (less bright, but more mature). I think Gunbir has pointed out where you can check out the ESKs. You'll most likely get to listen to Velocitys and other brands too there. Again, please make sure you listen before you buy! Everybody is a little different (see, you didn't think the Velocitys sounded a bit metallic, but I did). The ESKs run to 9100/- so you'll probably end up saving 800/- if you ask the seller to round it off to 9K.

So it is 40K for speakers, amp & sub, right?

Fronts: 9100/-
Rears: 5400/- (If you go for ESKs buy ECX130s for the rear)
Sub: JBL CS1204T (6500/- Bass Tube -- listen to this and see if you like the sound) or the CS1204B (8000/- Sub-in-a-box if you don't like the tube's output)
Amp: If you like the Tube, the JBL CS60.4 (@8000/-) will be ok. If yo go for the Box, I'd recommend the JBL GTO75.4 (@13,000/-)over the CS60.4.
Cables: About 4000/- (It maybe lesser, since you plan for Pyle).

Total = 33,000/- if you go for the tube and the 60.4
OR 39500/- if you go for the box & 75.4
OR 38000/- if you go for the tube & 75.4 (I'd recommend the 75.4 over the CS60.4 anyway).

(The JBL GTO75.4 puts out 104w RMS x 4chs @ 4ohms).

The Velocitys will drive up the total by about 1500/- if you go for a Velocity combination (front & back)

You'll get the install done within this price if you buy everything from the same place (though you may not get too much of a discount if he installs for free).

You might need some sound damping soon, so plan to spend another 4K on damping soon. Or go for the tube & 75.4 and get it also done in a single go -- 2K extra :-) over budget. (You may save some money from discounts, so this may stay within budget).

EDIT: I think we ICE folks deserve a party when your install is done :-)

And JPL, I think you should stick to this 40K and not increase it any more (except for say 2K plus to finish this job). The car is new, and you have lots of time to add more stuff later after you listen to your setup. Adding stuff after you listen to the install for a while will help you make decisions you won't regret later. My 2 cents :-)

Navin, do excuse the extra smilies. Long post...

Last edited by hydrashok : 25th December 2006 at 15:07.
Old 25th December 2006, 22:52   #4910
JPL
BHPian

Well Iam not surprised now !!

Thanks again Hydra,

Thanks for evertyime you sit on the comp and type the response to my post in a detailed way. I think I will only install the same after I listen to the Hertz,

Party, definitely and In my car.

Thanks again and apologies for eating your head (especially Hydras, Thanks man)

Thanks everyone and I guess this christams I will gift myself a what I always dreamt of..thanks to you all ( and special thanks to Hydra)

MERRY CHRISTMAS and Have a AWESOME NEW YEAR.

I hope one day I starting giving recommendation like Hydra on here and help noobs like me to get a price=performance system

Take care,
JPL
Old 26th December 2006, 00:07   #4911
Senior - BHPian

------------------------ OT ----------------------
@determinus, Just saw your signature. You watched HEAT and liked it too huh? DeNiro spoke a lot of sense :-)

--------------------------------------------------
Old 26th December 2006, 00:17   #4912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
------------------------ OT ----------------------
@determinus, Just saw your signature. You watched HEAT and liked it too huh? DeNiro spoke a lot of sense :-)

--------------------------------------------------
Yeah hydra, one of my all time favorite lines.
Old 26th December 2006, 12:31   #4913
Team-BHP Support

Ok, I was out of town so I will not quote the above posts. Here are some comments relatd to the above 5-6 posts not in any particular order.

Determinus, JBL 75.4 does cost more than the Infinty 7541 but I'd get the JBL anyway. Now please dont ask any embarassing questiosn about why? :-) Listen and you will find.

If you are importing an amp see if youc an get one of the older Alpine amps (240, 345, or even the 5 channel 450). I still see a few shops carrying this. They are nice value and from what little i have heard are more listenable than their newer amps.

JPL, I suggest you do what Gunbir suggested with the budget you got it might be better to spend sometime listening (please do some long sessions not those 3 minute sessions) before buying. Hertz, Infinity, Blau-Velocity etc...cater to different tastes. In mosts cases one can fine tune the speaker's sound by tinkering with the crossover. So first you got to find which speaker you like best or dislike least (that is what I do) and then work around the dislikes to make the speaker sound more to your tastes.
Old 26th December 2006, 13:07   #4914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Our RSJaurr got a pair from the US too... he has a brand new Kappa 10" lying around... he only used one of them. Why not pick it up from him...
Thanks. Guess RSJ must have got the same deal. But how do I do this? As in (a) How do I contact RSJ? (b) Where is RSJ located?

Thanks in advance.
DT
Old 26th December 2006, 13:23   #4915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Determinus, JBL 75.4 does cost more than the Infinty 7541 but I'd get the JBL anyway. Now please dont ask any embarassing questiosn about why? :-) Listen and you will find.

If you are importing an amp see if youc an get one of the older Alpine amps (240, 345, or even the 5 channel 450). I still see a few shops carrying this. They are nice value and from what little i have heard are more listenable than their newer amps.
Sticker price in most cases denote quality (keyword being most). So I kind of guessed that JBL GTO must be better than the Infinity in discussion. But I always thought that Infinity > JBL in *all* cases. Hence the repeated (and yes, embarassing) questions :-) My wrong.

My first choice in amps was Alpine, but for the power I need they tend to be expensive. I will look out for the ones you suggested. I have also found some good deals on 75.4 II online.

So do I take it that Alpine's old F series is better than the GTO series? Why I ask is because I may not get a chance to audition these before buying. I trust you guys on this.

DT
Old 26th December 2006, 13:33   #4916
Team-BHP Support

I have heard the 340 and the 75.4 in the same car and the 340 sounded sweeter but the 75.4 had more brawn.
Old 26th December 2006, 13:49   #4917
Senior - BHPian

I am not an audio guru but below three things for me states JBL > Infinity:

1. If you get a warranty their support is good and if there is no dealer in your area or dealer refuses to give warranty you can purchase online easily. JBL store. One of our esteemed TeamBHP member bought online and got the delivery within a week.

2. Sam Kapasi an avid audio enthusiast representing JBL is always here on TeamBHP and can solve any of your problems concerning JBL. Take me experience only. I never knew that there was dealer on JBL in Chandigarh pmed Sam got a reply in 5 mins with hpone number and guess what the dealer was the one i knew for long time. But he do not provides warranty etc.. so you can always go to point no. 1 and buy online and avail warranty.

3. Haha this will make a lot of JBL owners, wanna be JBLfyed and Sam Kapsi a bit more Happy about JBL. Check the pic below.

If you can make out wat's written above the "The Worlds Best Car Audio".. then it speaks JBL..

Sorry for the pic quality as its take from a mobile camera....

P.S. I am not saying Infinity is bad or may not be better than JBL. I have heard a lot of gr8 reviews about infinity..

Quote:
Sticker price in most cases denote quality (keyword being most). So I kind of guessed that JBL GTO must be better than the Infinity in discussion. But I always thought that Infinity > JBL in *all* cases. Hence the repeated (and yes, embarassing) questions :-) My wrong.
DT
Old 26th December 2006, 13:56   #4918
Team-BHP Support

abhibh, Infinity ans JBL are both owned by Harman Intl. Infinity (speaker atleast) cater to a different audience than JBL. Harman Intl. owns a bunch of other brands as well.

Last edited by navin : 26th December 2006 at 13:59.
Old 26th December 2006, 14:01   #4919
Senior - BHPian

plz someone shoot me in the head.... shoot me.. damn this new year thingy is making my head go crazy...

But i will still say.. JBL.. JBL... Jinga Boom Lala

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
abhibh, Infinity ans JBL are both owned by Harman Intl. Infinity (speaker atleast) cater to a different audience than JBL. Harman Intl. won a munch of other brands as well.
Old 26th December 2006, 14:15   #4920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But how do I do this? As in (a) How do I contact RSJ? (b) Where is RSJ located?
You can contact RSJ by PM'ing him. And AFAIK he's located somewhere in Punjab.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks