Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2006, 10:03   #4876
BHPian

components for a Verna

Guys,
What size components will fit inside the Verna? Also suggest the best components whihc will match the Alpine9850 and amp to drive the components.

Thanks.
Old 22nd December 2006, 10:21   #4877
Senior - BHPian

Harmon,
The Verna takes 6.5" in front (stock location in doors) and 6x9" in back (stock location on parcel tray)

Speakers
Front: As always my recommendations are Hertz DSK165 or ESK165 or JBL CS2165c or JBL GTO607. All these are 6.5" 2-way components. Listen before you buy :-)
Back: Don't get comps for the rear. Co-axials will do. You haven't mentioned a sub, so you can fit 6x9 co-axials in the stock locations. If you are getting a sub, smaller speakers will do, but some modding will be needed with MDF to make the stock locations smaller. Not much of a problem -- no cutting needed. Try Hertz DCX690 or ECX690 or JBL CS3196 or GTO937 (all 6x9" 3-way coaxials).

Amp
JBL CS60.4 or GTO75.4. Wiring from Audison or Scosche or the JBL wiring kit.

The max the above recommendation can run to is 35k to 36K, if you go for the costliest options (in Speakers+Amp+Wiring). The least it can run to is 21K to 22K, if you go for the least costly options. Even the least costly options are very, very good, so don't worry about that.

Now comes the magic question: What's the actual budget? :-) If you have a higher budget, we have better recommendations.

Last edited by hydrashok : 22nd December 2006 at 10:25.
Old 22nd December 2006, 10:24   #4878
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Harmon,
The Verna takes 6.5" in front (stock location in doors) and 6x9" in back (stock location on parcel tray)

Speakers
Front: As always my recommendations are Hertz DSK165 or ESK165 or JBL CS2165c or JBL GTO607. All these are 6.5" 2-way components. Listen before you buy :-)
Back: Don't get comps for the rear. Co-axials will do. You haven't mentioned a sub, so you can fit 6x9 co-axials in the stock locations. If you are getting a sub, smaller speakers will do, but some modding will be needed with MDF to make the stock locations smaller. Not much of a problem -- no cutting needed. Try Hertz DCX690 or ECX690 or JBL CS3196 or GTO937 (all 6x9" 3-way coaxials).

Amp
JBL CS60.4 or GTO75.4. Wiring from Audison or Scosche or the JBL wiring kit.

The max the above recommendation can run to is 35k to 36K, if you go for the costliest options (in Speakers+Amp+Wiring). The least is can run to is 21K to 22K, if you go for the least costly options. Even the least costly options are very, very good, so don't worry about that.

Now comes the magic question: What's the actual budget? :-) If you have a higher budget, we have better recommendations.

Thanks for the immediate update. Please give me the price against eac of the speaker. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2006, 10:59   #4879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
....Now comes the magic question: What's the actual budget? :-) If you have a higher budget, we have better recommendations.
Wow! wtih posts like this I think i can stay out of the country longer! Hydra you impress me everytime.
Old 22nd December 2006, 12:26   #4880
Senior - BHPian

@navin, Thanks!

@harmon,
Hertz DSK165: 5500/- (approx)
Hertz ESK165: 9100/-
JBL CS2165c: 5000/-
JBL GTO607c: 6500/-

Hertz DCX690: 5000/- (approx)
Hertz ECX690: 8500/- (approx)
JBL CS3196: 3700/-
JBL GTO937: 5000/-

JBL CS60.4 Amp: 9000/-
JBL GTO75.4 Amp: 13000/-

Audison 8G power wiring kit (FPK300): 3500/-
Audison RCA cable set (2ch, 6 meters): 1000/-
JBL wiring kit: 3000/-

These prices are likely to be a little off by about 500/- or so this-way-that-way where I've mentioned "approx.". Not sure of exact prices in all cases (I don't sell this stuff you see ). And you may be able to bargain a better deal off your installer.
Old 22nd December 2006, 13:30   #4881
GTS
BHPian

Gurus, its time for you to help me out!

Its high time that I ICE-ed up my Baleno.

I have shortlisted the following, I need your valuable inputs:

Head Unit:
Alpine 9857/9856.
I dont plan to have any amps or subwoofer right now, but will this head unit allow me to expand later on. What would be the approx price for this HU in the grey market AND with B&W.

Front:
Boston S series or Infinity Ref series compos 5.25". What should be the right price for the

Rear:
Boston NX(?) or Infinity Ref series Coax

Plz let me know the cost for the Bostons and what should be the price for the Infinity Ref series.

I want the inifinty Ref series, the dealer says go in for Boston. I dont want the cost of the front and rear speakers to be above 20K. Boston is better than Infinity Ref? I havent heard Boston.

Sub to be fitted later on. God knows when!

Thanks and Regards
GTS
Old 22nd December 2006, 17:25   #4882
Senior - BHPian

Looking for Subwoofer Enclosure

Folks I have a Pioneer TS-W306DVC sub woofer in my car and currently it is fitted inside a local enclosure. I am looking for a good enclosure either an original Pioneer (model UD-W12) or any other good one for the sub. Please help me find one.
Old 22nd December 2006, 17:56   #4883
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Its high time that I ICE-ed up my Baleno.

I want the inifinty Ref series, the dealer says go in for Boston. I dont want the cost of the front and rear speakers to be above 20K. Boston is better than Infinity Ref? I havent heard Boston.

GTS
Boston is not what it was earlier. The newer ones are very much far inferior than the older generation Bostons.
I would suggest you to listen to both before deciding on this.

And there are more options available in the market for the same price range.
Old 22nd December 2006, 18:03   #4884
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
And there are more options available in the market for the same price range.
Zak, it would be great if you or the other gurus could tell me what the options are. I am clueless!
Old 22nd December 2006, 20:15   #4885
JPL
BHPian

Thanks Again. Hydra you ROCK !!

Hi Again,

Thanks hydra for your inputs, really appreciate. Since I have become a member here I have become more patient and a lot more in to research also.

And also my bad that I referred to Pyle cable as chinese, actually I did no know that Pyle is a branded and one of the other dealers said he will install Pyle RCA's and Pyle Power cables 8 gauge.

And about anwar, well I did ask him about hertz starting price and he told me it starts from 16k maybe he was referring to the higher components, and also the same about the cable..that what he said..but anyways I will call him and confirm the same..

Thanks again Hydra, please tell me are Blaupunt Velocity compos good or do i get better speaker for the same price BTW they pump out 100w rms each..

Thanks for the cable prices also Hydra I will check with some dealers about the pricing..

Thanks again and waiting eagerly to listen to the sound of music (lol cheesy)

Thanks again Hydra and all.

JPL
Old 22nd December 2006, 22:04   #4886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS View Post
Audio 101
you are going to listen to it, you are paying for it, why are you even considering your dealer's advice?

In fact I would go for far to recommend that even the advice on this forum should be verified by your ears with yoour music. Duke Ellington requires a different system from Dr. Dre.
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:44   #4887
Senior - BHPian

@GTS, from what I've heard of them, better avoid the entry-level Bostons.

Infinity Reference speakers will be really good. Infinity reference comps (5.25") would probably be around 9K-10K. The 6x9s (3-way coaxes -- 9613i I think) in The Infinity reference series are also 10K, if I'm not mistaken.

In that price range I guess the other brand you can consider would be the Energy series of Hertz. But the Hertz Energys are a bit brighter than the Infinitys. For similar sound (the Infinitys are a bit laid back), you should be looking at the Hertz Hi-Energy series which would be around 13K for the 5.25 comps, I guess. If you are going into that price range (or a bit higher), from what I've heard, Alpine Type-Rs would also be worthy of being checked out.

You have a good budget for your speakers. For 20K (front & back) you can get some seriously good sound. Like Navin said, listen to all your options (with a song you like, and are familiar with) before you decide.

You'll need to amp whatever you choose (in this range) for best effect. It will do if you add the amp later, but do keep in mind that to get the most value out of the speakers (in this price range), an amp is necessary. You can probably add the sub after that.

I'm afraid I have no idea of the pricing of Alpine HUs.

Last edited by hydrashok : 22nd December 2006 at 23:56.
Old 22nd December 2006, 23:58   #4888
Senior - BHPian

@JPL, if you are happy with the sound of the Velocitys, go for them. They are built well, and have a very good service backing. I have listened to Velocitys and they are quite good. Only, Velocitys generally need to be amped to perform their best. I think you are looking at the Vc172 (6.5" comps) right? As per their specs they are rated at 100w RMS (continuous). So plan on adding a 60x4 or 75x4 amp later when you can manage it. That way you will get maximum bang out of the buck you spent on Velocitys.
Old 23rd December 2006, 00:00   #4889
Senior - BHPian

@vikram_d, you seem to have chosen a good sub. I googled it and everybody seems to be giving it good reviews. Apparently the recommended enclosure size for this sub is 0.85 to 1.75 Cubic Feet. (Source: http://www.audioallies.com/GetItem.asp?Item=TS-W306DVC). Get one built with 0.75" MDF or 1" MDF and you're good to go :-)

Another place says 24 to 49.6 liters (I have no idea about converting CuFt to liters, so couldn't cross check earlier spec) is the ideal size. For the gurus who can calculate enclosure size, these are the specs:
Quote:
Features TS-W306C

* Frequency response 18 - 500 Hz
* Sensitivity (1W/1m) 89 dB
* Qts 0.42
* Recommended sealed enclosure (Litres) 24 - 49.6
* Lowest resonance frequency (FS) 32.6
* Maximum Power 1.000 Watt
* Nominal input power 400 Watt
* Vas 55.6 l
* Woofer size (cm) 30 cm
Link/Source: Pioneer TS-W306C 12" 1000W C-Type Subwoofer: Subwoofers - 12" - 30cm Subwoofers - TS-W306C - "car audio vehicle alarms suppliers and installers saving you up to 70 % discount compare with the high street stores"
and
Car Articles, Tips and Advice

OT: vikram's sub reminds me of lbm. He's busy overclocking his PC these days I guess :-)

Last edited by hydrashok : 23rd December 2006 at 00:03.
Old 23rd December 2006, 00:59   #4890
Team-BHP Support

I find the velocity a bit metalic in their presentation but this is really nit picking and not something that cannot be solved with a soldering iron and some new copper wire and MIT or Wonder caps. The velocity XO has ploy caps so the next step up can be pretty expensive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks