Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2007, 10:50   #5356
Senior - BHPian

if i remember right, doc has one infinity sub in his Getz and had one for sale.
Old 13th February 2007, 12:17   #5357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi Harmon,

I have JBL speakers in my car (Swift) and have the Infinity Ref 1200 (Reference Series) bass tube. I had asked the JBL boys for the Kappa but was told that it was discontinued. However, im pretty happy with the Ref 1200. Is it available in Madras? Do compare the two and let me know.

Epic
Epic, if I make an order, the guy says he can get it for me. This is CATS, Chennai, sole dealer of JBL and infinity range of speakers.

Iam not looking at the tube but the model which somes with a custom enclosure from Infinity.

Anyone heard the Infinity Kappa sub, i was interested in the Perfect, but I guess too much cost involved.
Old 15th February 2007, 12:39   #5358
BHPian

Hi SAm ;
I know u recoment JBL but what's the best front speakers for ma zen as i have a cracked up budget singged to 1500..plz advice.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:04   #5359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
Hi SAm ;
I know u recoment JBL but what's the best front speakers for ma zen as i have a cracked up budget singged to 1500..plz advice.
I don't recommend JBL. I say, NOBODY should buy JBL.

For 1500 bucks, you can get Pioneer or Sony 4" speakers. Of the two, Pioneer would be a better choice.
Old 15th February 2007, 13:31   #5360

Hey Sam!!

I am plannin to put infinity or jbl compo's in my swift, both front and rear door!! Keepin the mullah factor inmy mind , What wud u recomend ?? and what exactly is the price diff b/w the both the brand's compo's??
I m also plannin to put two GTO series series amp. in, to drive compo's and the existing GTO1200cs bass tube??
Old 15th February 2007, 13:45   #5361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzly View Post
Hey Sam!!

I am plannin to put infinity or jbl compo's in my swift, both front and rear door!! Keepin the mullah factor inmy mind , What wud u recomend ?? and what exactly is the price diff b/w the both the brand's compo's??
I m also plannin to put two GTO series series amp. in, to drive compo's and the existing GTO1200cs bass tube??
Hello Grizzly Bear, welcome to this side of Team-BHP and welcome to the site as a whole. lol.

Keeping the mullah factor (OK, all religion based jokes are coming to my mind, *SLAP myself*) Keeping the moolah factor in mind, JBL CS and GTO are cheaper than Infinity Reference (which is the entry level)
Both are different, with different kinds of sound.
There is no real need to buy a GTO amplifier for your CS bass tube. A CS monoblock will serve you nicely.
Keep the extra money for your old age and prostrate operation.
Old 18th February 2007, 00:15   #5362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Keep the extra money for your old age and prostrate operation.
See that is why I DIY!
Old 18th February 2007, 15:01   #5363
BHPian

Connect a sub, 2 ovals, 2 4" & 2 tweeters to a 4 channel amp

Hi Team-bhp Members,
I am an absolute newbie here. You guys were kind enough to accept me as a member yesterday, thanks a ton. My 1st post was in the “Introduce Yourself” forum yesterday. And here I am today with my 1st post in the ICE sub-forum, where I think I am going to have a whole lot of fun & probably also make a perfect pest of myself with a never-ending stream of questions.
Can I start right away?
OK. I drive a Santro ’02 & my ICE set-up consists of:-
HU Sony CDX-MP50 with 2 pairs of pre-amp outs of 2 volts
Pioneer TS-D690R 6 x 9 inch 2-way ovals, nominal input 80W, with built-in crossovers LPF -6db/ octave & HPF -12db/ octave, woofer cone is aramid fiber (yellow colour) - mounted on a thick MDF tray at the rear
Pioneer TS-G1010R 4 inch, 2-way, nominal input 20W, no built in crossovers, mounted in the dash (which in the Santro means firing at the knees)
Pioneer TS-S250 40 mm ceramic horn tweeters, nominal input 50W, with built-in -6db/ octave capacitor, mounted on top of the dash
At present all the speakers are driven by the HU & guess the 4 inch speakers & tweeters are connected in parallel.
Now I have got it in my brain to add a 4-channel amp with integrated active & variable low & high pass crossovers (budget 15K) & a 10 inch sub in a factory fitted enclosure (budget 10K).
I would connect the sub to the bridged rear channels of the amp.
I would connect the front left 4 inch speaker with the rear left 6 x 9 inch oval in parallel (total impedance 2 ohms) & connect to the front left channel of the amp.
The front right 4 inch & rear right 6 x 9 inch speakers would similarly be connected to the front right channel of the amp.
My first question (sorry, there are many more), can I also connect the tweeters somehow to the amp e.g. connect a tweeter to a 4 inch in series (impedance 8 ohms), then connect that in parallel to the oval (total impedance 2.7 ohms?). At my budget I can’t think of an amp, stable at less than 2 ohms).
Thanks in advance guys. It’s a great team.

The most exciting phrase in science is not "Eureka!" (I found it!), but probably "That's funny...."
Old 18th February 2007, 23:07   #5364
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Now I have got it in my brain to add a 4-channel amp with integrated active & variable low & high pass crossovers (budget 15K) & a 10 inch sub in a factory fitted enclosure (budget 10K).

The front right 4 inch & rear right 6 x 9 inch speakers would similarly be connected to the front right channel of the amp.
My first question (sorry, there are many more), can I also connect the tweeters somehow to the amp e.g. connect a tweeter to a 4 inch in series (impedance 8 ohms), then connect that in parallel to the oval (total impedance 2.7 ohms?). At my budget I can’t think of an amp, stable at less than 2 ohms).
Lets say you have a 25K budget for amp, sub, damping and RCA wires. damping the front doors (4K) and 2 pair of RCA (2K) wire will run you 6K so you have 19k left.

13K would get you a nice amp and 6K would get you a 10" sub that you can install IB or you can get a tube.

Now the wiring....
connect the sub and the 4" and tweeter to the amp and run the rears of the HU.

a) the 4" are probably less sensitive than the 6x9 and could use an amp to bring their level up. also you can HPF the amp at say 100hz and save your 4" from the bass.

b) this will allow you some chance of moving your soundstage to the front. if you connect the 6x9 to the amp and the 4" to the HU your 6x9 will drown out the 4" completely.

Connecting all speakers to 2 chs. of the amp will rob you of a fader and also stree your amp. Actually you tweeter will not stress the amp to much as it is only in cicuit above 5K or so. It is the 6x9 and 4" which will be in parallel that will stress the amp (the amp will see 2 ohms across most of the audible range). connecting the tweeter in series to a 4" is something I would not advise (the reasons are too varied to detail for now).

hope this helps. the gurus will chip is later.
Old 19th February 2007, 14:17   #5365
BHPian

Zen Ice Query

Hi Sam & Navin;
I know i might be the n'th person to aks this....but plz do help...
For ma Zen i have a 5850 HU + 12"JBL bass tube + 6x9 oval pioneer speakers + 4 channel sony xplod 500 watt amp
now am planin to buy front speakers 2day itself(as got sal 2day he heee)
now i want suggestion for front speaker....
my budget for that is 1500 - 2000
1) What 4" front speaker do u suggest me? JBL CSO/BLAPUNK/PIONEER as Sony is NO NO.....
2) Now how the connection shud be so that i get the fadder effect too?
(Shud i connect the 6x9 oval pioneer speaker to HU
& Front Speaker and Bass Tube to my 4 channel amp
Plz correct me if i am wrong........)
3) Now last but not least plz specify me the settings done in the HU as i prefer Bass and Vocal ..
]am Confused with HPF SUB (80HZ / 125HZ) and Equilizer setting(low, mid ,high) and also the FRQ settings (which we get when fuction key kept pressed continously...
Plz help me ........

Last edited by ASH-WINS : 19th February 2007 at 14:31.
Old 19th February 2007, 15:24   #5366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASH-WINS View Post
my budget for that is 1500 - 2000
1) What 4" front speaker do u suggest me?
2) Now how the connection shud be so that i get the fadder effect too?
(Shud i connect the 6x9 oval pioneer speaker to HU & Front Speaker and Bass Tube to my 4 channel amp
3) Now last but not least plz specify me the settings done in the HU as i prefer Bass and Vocal ..
]am Confused with HPF SUB (80HZ / 125HZ) ....
1. Choose between JBL CS and Blaupunkt.
2. You are right.
3. a 4" will prefer a HPF of 100 or 125Hz. 80hz is ok if you dont play too loud.

Sam and co. will chip in shortly.
Old 19th February 2007, 15:44   #5367
Team-BHP Support

Hey ASH-WINS,

For 2K it is difficult to get any decent soundstage towards the front.

one suggestion is to go for the JBLCS-2165 6" 2 way coaxial speakers. these cost around Rs.2700. These may not fit in the stock location in which case you will have to mount them on a spacer ring.

In the zen stock location you can put the JBL-GTO527 5.25" 2 way coaxials. These will be around Rs.3K.

As far as the connections are concerened, try amping the front speakers and see if you like the sound. Since these speakers dont have great power handling capabilities it may not make much of a difference. Power the rears with the HU.

If your not happy then just amp the rear speakers and let the fronts run directly run off the HU. This is what I have done in my alto. My front 4" are running off the HU and the rears are amped. I have tuned it so that the soundstage is as towards the front as possible.
Old 19th February 2007, 15:47   #5368
BHPian

Thnz for replyin so fast Navin...
year surely i will look for JBL CS / BAPUNK...
1) what approx they will cost me...?
2)In the amp there is settings in HPF & LPF where i need to use a screw driver...(it reads as 1,2,3....) is it the gain?
how much shud it be kept to?
3)Am not clear with the HU settings can you please be a bit more specific on the HU settings issue keeping my taste for Loud Thump & Vocal in mind..
That would be really greatful...
And still waiting for Sam's advice...
Sorry for looking so confused........
Old 19th February 2007, 16:12   #5369
Team-BHP Support

Navinji, Will amping the fronts i.e. 4"coax make much difference. I tried it out and you need to set the gain really low on the amp to get some sound out of the rear ovals which will be on the HU.

In my case I dont have a sub and my 6X9 takes care of that to some extent.

I have set the level close to 1V. I can crank up volume up till half from the HU. I get decent vocals from the front and decent bass from the rears.
Old 19th February 2007, 16:27   #5370
BHPian

Hi VID6639;
Dude...things getting way out of my problem....i have sub too....so no poblem...i think Navins right for my case...
But as u dont have SUB ur setting is optimized for you supposibly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks