Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2007, 12:04   #5296
Senior - BHPian

Epic, I think (as everyone here has already said) that fixing the problem is simply a matter of :

1) Losing the 6x9s
2) Connecting the front comps to the front channels of the 75.4, and the rear comps to the rear channels of the 75.4
3) Tuning the amp properly & setting the gains properly

Maybe the amp driving the Infinity sub also has the gains set to 100% (shudder!). This must be why the bass was overwhelming the rest of the sound in the first place. If there's a bass boost on that amp, maybe that was also set to the max, making things worse. You'll need to look at the gains on this mono amp and set them properly also, without which the sound may not improve.

You can also probably get your installer to check whether the polarity of the connections are right. Very basic, but these are the things that are usually overlooked while troubleshooting.

You have good equipment in your car. I don't think you need to change the equipment in any way (except for removing the 6x9s). I'm sure the car will sound good if you get the connections right, and the gains and filters (LPF & HPF) right.

Last edited by hydrashok : 6th February 2007 at 12:05.
Old 6th February 2007, 12:23   #5297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
a) 6 speakers connected to a 4 ch. amp? Now I am confused funnily I have seen someone else do this as well. the components were connected in parallel to the front channels and the 6x9 to the rear. have you done this as well? Do what the Gurus above have suggested.
Hmm..unless two speakers are connected in parallel to one pair of terminals on the amp.. if the amp has enough juice to run the a speaker with half the regular impedance, it should be ok.. with a good enough placement it can give a good even sound field as both seem to be placed in the front.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:22   #5298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
with a good enough placement it can give a good even sound field as both seem to be placed in the front.
Placement-wise, I guess he has one pair of comps in the front door, the other pair of comps in the rear door, and the 6x9s in a parcel tray behind the rear seats. That's the only way of getting all this in the car without any major cutting & modding.
Old 6th February 2007, 13:54   #5299
Distinguished - BHPian

Please allow me to clarify something for you Epic.

JBL works on a clear national-level distribution model and one can buy their products from almost any car audio dealer at any country. Apart from this, there are JBL brand stores in select cities that are mainly Home Theatre and Multimedia products, also some car audio products, as it is a "brand" store.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Would you believe if i tell you that my system was installed and setup by JBL engineers themselves?
There are no JBL engineers/car audio installers in India, trained and certified by us that operate a JBL approved car audio installation centre.

Ajay Kamat is a member here and is reading what you are posting. His Nick is Bass & Trouble.

However I do remember B&T calling me up to discuss your case about 6 or 8 months ago. You had purchased a lot of equipment from a JBL store in Bandra and the installation was less than satisfactory. It seems like there's no progress since then. It's been a long while, that's weird.

Once again, I advise you, as would anyone. You say things like "I like my amp gains on full, as I like the sound to fill up my car" These are technically erroneous statements and that is why I recommend you take it to a professional. And please do not take it back to the franchise at Bandra you bought it from, they do not know how to install good car audio equipment well. Yet. As of now, they are a bunch of monkeys when it comes to car audio.

I advise you again, please take your existing (very good, if I may add) equipment to a professional car audio installer and it will sound terrific.

If Ajay Kamat agrees to install it for you, or help you get it installed, there's quite nothing like it as he is a true professional.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 6th February 2007 at 14:01.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:54   #5300
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
with a good enough placement it can give a good even sound field as both seem to be placed in the front.
like Hydra said, we all suspect one pair is installed in the front door and the other pair in the rear door. If as I suspect they are wired in parallel as a driver he will hear overwhelming bass and many degrees of distortion (depending on how loud he turns it up). At this point everything is hypothetical. We dont know enough so we'll have to wait for Epic to post.

Epic, we are all falling over ourselves to help you. We enjoy the challenge and the warm feeling we get when we help someone. Please help us to help you. We need those clarifications.

Or you can take a short cut and go to Ajay. He has more active neurons than I; and, I supect, the people who originally installed your stereo. :-)
Old 6th February 2007, 18:14   #5301
BHPian

ok..i got to this conclusion seeing the F and R and thought they were front and right .. and as i mentioned my overworked neuron is yet to notice that the front is usually the windshield and a speaker there is not really ideal !

when will I ICE my thinking..
Old 6th February 2007, 19:13   #5302
BHPian

I feel that Hydra has rightly diagonised the problem. The reason Epic said he went for 6x9s was bass drowning voice from components. That must have happened mostly because the sub was too loud (later confirmed by the gain turned all the way up confession).

So Epic, your installation was properly done by JBL folks (Sam, please keep that whip down). But instead of just reducing the gain on the mono, putting more sound (6x9) to overpower the basstube was a, er, mistake.

Experts, about the 4 ch for 6 speaker confusion, may be a pair, most probably the 6x9s are driven from the HU? Reason: The 2 pairs of components must have consumed all 4 channels in the first installation. And the later when he went back for the add-ons, JBL guys must have hooked them to the HU. Else something crazy like Navin mentioned.

But, all is well that ends well. Guess you have fixed it Epic.
Old 6th February 2007, 19:20   #5303
BHPian

Shooter/ Navin/ Hydra,

Epic has mentioned the location of the components is in his first post.

Quote:
Components (F) - JBL - GTO 606Ce
Components (R) - JBL - GTO 606Ce
My components are installed in the doors as per the space provided in the Swift
Old 6th February 2007, 21:54   #5304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
Epic! No matter where and how it was installed, it cannot be called an ideal setup.

Can you please make it clear whose idea was to add the 6X9s to your previous setup?

As requested by many, please explain how the speakers are connected.
Hi Speedzak,

Well, it was my idea to install the 6X9s to my previous setup as the bass tube seemed to drown the vocals and treble of the components. I believed that i was facing this problem as the components were placed in the doors and that too below ear level. On installing the 6X9s, there was a major improvement in the sound.

The components are connected in parallel and the 6X9s have a dedicated channel. The two pair of components are place in the front and rear doors as per the provision provided in the Swift. One set of tweeters are place on the dash and the other on the rear pillar above the rear headrests. The 6X9s are on the parcel shelf.

Epic
Old 6th February 2007, 22:14   #5305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Please allow me to clarify something for you Epic.

JBL works on a clear national-level distribution model and one can buy their products from almost any car audio dealer at any country. Apart from this, there are JBL brand stores in select cities that are mainly Home Theatre and Multimedia products, also some car audio products, as it is a "brand" store.
If Ajay Kamat agrees to install it for you, or help you get it installed, there's quite nothing like it as he is a true professional.

Hi Sam,

Yes, i purchased my JBL equipment from Sahil International, a JBL Brand Store at Bandra (W). I was made to believe that the so called engineers were trained professionally by JBL so i left my car totally in their hands and their trust. Little did i know they would screw it up.

As for al you guys, im really glad ive joined this team and now that i know Ajay is also part of the clan has given me more confidence. I was directed to Ajay by Deepak Asrani and immediately met up with him. Ajay has seen the setup and heard the system and was not happy with the same and blamed the excess speakers the installation and also suspectd the quality of wiring. He also noticed that the components in the doors were not packed well and could have been the cause of the jarring. He suggested the i get the whole system install checked and the tuning too and had advised that we spend a day together doing the same. I unfortuntely have not got the time in my busy work schedule to make this happen as i don't want to hurry Ajay or myself in this matter. And so a couple of months have passed and ive not taken any action on this yet. But yes, i will be hooking up with Ajay sooner or later and getting this sorted.

Epic
Old 6th February 2007, 22:22   #5306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by determinus View Post
I feel that Hydra has rightly diagonised the problem. The reason Epic said he went for 6x9s was bass drowning voice from components. That must have happened mostly because the sub was too loud (later confirmed by the gain turned all the way up confession).

So Epic, your installation was properly done by JBL folks (Sam, please keep that whip down). But instead of just reducing the gain on the mono, putting more sound (6x9) to overpower the basstube was a, er, mistake.

Experts, about the 4 ch for 6 speaker confusion, may be a pair, most probably the 6x9s are driven from the HU? Reason: The 2 pairs of components must have consumed all 4 channels in the first installation. And the later when he went back for the add-ons, JBL guys must have hooked them to the HU. Else something crazy like Navin mentioned.

But, all is well that ends well. Guess you have fixed it Epic.

Hi Determinus,

Let me clarify my install. The 4-channel amp drives 6 speakers because the 2 pairs of components are connected in parallel, which still leaves one channel for the 6X9s. Again the gain is set to full, but on the 4-channel amp driving the speakers and not on the monoblock driving the sub. All speakers are driven through the amp, nohing is driven through through the head unit.

Epic
Old 6th February 2007, 22:50   #5307
Team-BHP Support

Epic your on the right track. B&T (Ajay) has pointed out the problem.

Now that you clarified that you have connected the 4 speakers to 2 channels of the amp it is clear that they are not able to handle the current since now the amp sees only half the impedance.

The gains should not be set to 100%. You are lucky the amp hasn't blown.

Reducing the gains, removing the 6X9 and connecting all the compos to individual channels should make it sound better.

The idea is that you should turn up the volume knob from the HU as much as possible. If you set all the gains to 100% and turn the volume till 10 or so to get loud jarring sound is of no use and you are stressing out the equipment.

Once all this is done you should get reasonable sound at mid volume levels. After that you can fix the installation issues.
Old 7th February 2007, 00:49   #5308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, it was my idea to install the 6X9s
Exactly my point, Epic. If you visit a barber and tell him precisely how to cut your hair, you can't blame him if the result looks bad. I wish you had visited this forum earlier.

What should have actually happened is, the guys at the showroom (that's not Sahil International, just BTW) should have advised you against buying and installing the extra speakers in your car. I remember calling them and they said that you wanted the ovals. Anyways, like I said, they're a bunch of blundering baboons. Now. Not for long.

NVM, Epic, we're gonna sort you out, not to worry.
Old 7th February 2007, 08:20   #5309
Senior - BHPian

Here is another Octy install, done by the same guy

Old 7th February 2007, 08:57   #5310
Senior - BHPian

Nice clean install. Close to zero loss of luggage space.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks