Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2006, 01:47   #4606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power
Rev,

Go for sealed box, it will sound better.
You should have to go for Monoblock amp from Pioneer Or JBL.

Mugen.

what size box if you could dimensions would be great and regarding the amp i dont have the budget for a monoblock.so which 2 chann amp ?
Old 3rd November 2006, 06:44   #4607
Distinguished - BHPian

Pyle audio is alright, not a bad brand. I definitely think you need to lower your bass mid and treble. Closer to 0 is better.
The Sony amplifier is grainy and the pioneer speaker a bit harsh. Nice to see someone taking such a detailed interest in his equipment. Keep it up.
Old 3rd November 2006, 09:11   #4608
Team-BHP Support

Sam, thanks for the compliment. Always had an interest in ICE and it's grown even more after T-BHP.

When you say the amp is grainy what exactly does that mean?

Should i lower the low, mid and high or the bass and treble too? They both are similar in terms of frequency but 2 different settings on the HU.

What about the amp input level, is it set correctly? I tried increasing the input level to around 1V or 2V but i then the volume needs to be cranked up more from the HU as a result with fader set to 0 stresses the front 4" speakers.

I've tried setting the frequency also in between all the ranges for low, mid and high but wasnt sure if this is the way to do it.

I have 4" dual cones in the front instead of 2-way coax since i had a pair of kenwood KSC-ST30 tweeters already and going for coax would give too much treble.

Theres also an option called NON FAD which I'm not sure about. I have tried it out but dint notice any difference in sound.

And the frequency settings
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:26   #4609
Senior - BHPian

Hi Vid,

I have same HU & slightly similar setup(2 way sony explode fronts & Pioneer 6X9 at rear) with sony 554ZR amp & 12inch sub

I am using following settings on my HU

The HU settings are as follows with EQ-EX enabled:
Fader:F4
EQ-LOW: +2 (varies from +6 to -6)
EQ-Mid: +4 (varies from +6 to -6)
EQ-High: +4 (varies from +6 to -6)
Bass: +3 (varies from +6 to -6)
Treble: +3 (+6 to -6)
Loud: MID (low, mid, high, off)
Sub W: On at 80 Hz +2(-6 to +6)
HPF: on at 125

Never knew the following settings were configurable, can you tell me how to ? Also what do you mean by "all set to Q1W (2N,1N,1W,2W) for Q-factor settings."

Quote:
frequency settings:
Low: 80Hz (40,80,100,160Hz)
Mid: 1KHz (200,500,1K,2KHz)
High: 10K (3k,8k,10k,12kHz)
all set to Q1W (2N,1N,1W,2W) for Q-factor settings.
Bass frequency: 100Hz (40,63,100,160Hz)
Treble frequency: 6KHz (2K,4k,6k,10KHz)
Thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd November 2006 at 10:28.
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:57   #4610
Team-BHP Support

Hey Technocrat,

Thats the best part of the tuning all the frequency settings and adjusting the Q-point of the frequency curve. They have a small but very discernible effect on the sound.

To enable EQ-EX you need to be in custom mode, then keep the SW button on the HU pressed, the EQ-EX light will turn on on the display unless it's already on in which case it will go off. You need to make sure it's on.

Once the EQ-EX light is ON you need to keep the AUDIO button pressed for a few seconds and a new menu comes up with all the frequency settings.

Using these settings you can change the shape of the curve to suit your listening. There are various center frequency option with which you can play around with here.

The Q-point can be configured to 4 positions 1N being the narrowest curve and 2W being the widest curve.

This Q-point is for your high, mid and low frequencies. If you want a tight output then it should be set to narrow (1N or 2N) so the curve will be narrow around the center frequency if you want it a little loose then you can select wide (1W or 2W) to get a wide curve around the center frequency.

Go ahead play around with it. It's a lot of fun.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd November 2006 at 10:59.
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:16   #4611
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
what size box if you could dimensions would be great and regarding the amp i dont have the budget for a monoblock.so which 2 chann amp ?
if you are on a tight budget bridge a sony 502/552. it wont make a lot of noise but it will drive the sub ok.

like i said a 40liter sealed box is a good place to start.
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:35   #4612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
Should i lower the low, mid and high or the bass and treble too? They both are similar in terms of frequency but 2 different settings on the HU.

What about the amp input level, is it set correctly? I tried increasing the input level to around 1V or 2V but i then the volume needs to be cranked up more from the HU as a result with fader set to 0 stresses the front 4" speakers.

Theres also an option called NON FAD which I'm not sure about.
tone controls should NOT be used a volume control. by setting all your controls to +3 or +4 all you are doing is increasing the entire level. First set all your controls to 0. then raise the volume level to a level you normally listen at. then boost/cut each frequency to taste.

it does make more sense to let the HU be "cranked up". if your 4" speakers are overloading is it due to excessive bass and this can be rectified either be using the fader or by using bass blockers (a pair of 470uf electrolytic caps wires back to back).

The Non Fad option if for the subwoofer. this is so that the subwoofer level remains constant and does not fade as you fade front rear to front.
Old 3rd November 2006, 11:43   #4613
Senior - BHPian

@vid6639: Man its been excatly one year now that I got this HU & am still finding more & more features, I can not express how much happy I am with it infact so much that I plan to keep this one till the time it gives up on me

I know the rest of the settings i.e. EQ-EX & custom mode etc even the various options when audio button is pressed with HU off & even I wasn't sure of the various option there like the NON-FAD but nice to know

Hmm is fiddling with these settings dangerous? I mean my fronts aren't powered by amp & I have kept the fader slightly front to get front soundstage. So I hope I dont burn the fronts, dont know whether this would matter but just asking since I dont know.
Old 3rd November 2006, 14:45   #4614
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
tone controls should NOT be used a volume control. by setting all your controls to +3 or +4 all you are doing is increasing the entire level. First set all your controls to 0. then raise the volume level to a level you normally listen at. then boost/cut each frequency to taste.
Navinji that's why i settled for +3,+4,+3 for low, mid high instead of full +6. That would just increase the level so i settled for a mid band value. Anyways, shall reduce all to 0 and tune it after that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
it does make more sense to let the HU be "cranked up". if your 4" speakers are overloading is it due to excessive bass and this can be rectified either be using the fader or by using bass blockers (a pair of 470uf electrolytic caps wires back to back).
I'll increase the input level of the amp. that way the rear sound will reduce and put the fader to the rear that way the front should still be little better.

The 470uF caps would filter out the low frequencies. Till what frequency will it filter out to?
Old 3rd November 2006, 15:55   #4615
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When you say the amp is grainy what exactly does that mean?

ooops sorry forgot to mention my rear 6X9 pios are boxed and not on a mdf tray.

Anwar(Autofusion), advised this would be the best option.
Old 3rd November 2006, 16:08   #4616
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639
The 470uF caps would filter out the low frequencies. Till what frequency will it filter out to?
2 x 470uf/63V in series (back to back) makes 235uf. ginve your speakers are 4 ohms nominal it would filter out stuff below about 150Hz at 6db/octave.
Old 4th November 2006, 06:39   #4617
Team-BHP Support

Guys, I am getting an Alpine 9830 here in Pune for Rs. 14,500 with B/W the other considered option is a Pioneer 6850 without B/W (Rs. 9100/-) . Which one should I go for?
The setup is:
Front components - JBL GTO 607
Rear 6x9's - JBL GTO 937
Speaker Cables - Monster
(No amp)
__________________________________________________ __________

Upgrade planned in December -
Amp - JBL GTO 75.4 (Front components and Rear ovals)

Upgrade in March -
Subwoofer - JBL GTO 1204BR (Dealer is too excited to sell the Bass Reflex box)
Amp - JBL GTO 300.1

Any other suggestions for sub woofers?

Last edited by moralfibre : 4th November 2006 at 06:43.
Old 4th November 2006, 08:11   #4618
Senior - BHPian

moralfibre, you look pretty set, buddy. That's a real good system you got planned out there.

Personally, I would go for the Alpine. I think with the speakers+amps you got planned, the Alpine would fit in better with better SQ to complement the speakers & amp. And a grey Pioneer is a no-no anyway.

And for the Sub's amp, don't you mean the CS300.1?

And after you're done, do post the details (and some snaps if you can) in the "What ICE & at what Price" thread. It will be of help to others looking to setup their ICE.

BTW, what car are you getting the ICE done in?

Last edited by hydrashok : 4th November 2006 at 08:15.
Old 4th November 2006, 11:48   #4619
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes Moral? WHich monoblock do you intend to buy? There is no GTO300.1

There is a GTO301.1 and a CS300.1. Which one is your JBL? lol.
Old 4th November 2006, 19:15   #4620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok
Personally, I would go for the Alpine. I think with the speakers+amps you got planned, the Alpine would fit in better with better SQ to complement the speakers & amp.

And after you're done, do post the details (and some snaps if you can) in the "What ICE & at what Price" thread. It will be of help to others looking to setup their ICE.

BTW, what car are you getting the ICE done in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Yes Moral? WHich monoblock do you intend to buy? There is no GTO300.1

There is a GTO301.1 and a CS300.1. Which one is your JBL? lol.
The car is a Fiat Palio 1.6 Sport which I took delivery of yesterday. I am sorry I meant the CS 300.1 .

I will be starting off with a basic system and then upgrade slowly. I am still unsure whether I should go for a bass reflex box.

Can someone please guide me for installation of 6" speakers in the front door pods of the Palio? The stock size is 5.25" and most of the dealers do not know alterations that need to be carried out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks