Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:55   #12436
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

Hello everyone,
I use a Honda Civic 2008,

I am just back home after installing a HU:- PioneerAVH-X8590BT.

Now there is one problem and one question I want to ask.

Firstly since I just came back, I realized my radio on the stock worked like a charm, and now the radio after the installation works shitty, the "kheer kheer" sound keeps coming, also the volume becomes high/low on its own. I realized this is because the wire connecting the HU to the stock anteena socket is faulty. The scenario is this wire was meant for accord but the installer did some modification and installed in civic, I am very unhappy with the radio output. It worked fine when I was at the installers place, only when I was travelling I realized. Now I know one thing for sure that the installer does not have that wire made for civic, so I dont mind taking efforts to buy a new one and ask him to get it installed. Can anyone please tell me where would I find that particular wire? If i have to find it online, what should i search for? Like what is that wire called?

Secondly I did not do any speaker upgrades yet, because my Dad feels the original speakers in Civic are just too good, my question is are they genuinely good enough? My requirement is to listen to radio everyday on my way to work at low volume and play bluetooth songs on volume higher than usual only once a week. Is upgrading worth it?

Please help asap,
Thanks.
Regards!

Last edited by yashcosmos : 23rd February 2014 at 21:57. Reason: A few spelling and grammatical mistakes
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:20   #12437
BHPian

Re: Car Audio Advice from the Audio Gurus: Use "Search thread" before posting a new Q

With an ever growing itch to upgrade, I would like to identify the weakest point in my current setup:
Alpine 117, Rainbow Dreamline (Comp+Coax) front and rear, DD c4c and DD CM 600 for iD v3 D4, AV rca and speaker wires, dyna mat extreme.

What I find missing ? honestly the sound is pretty good but
Old 24th February 2014, 13:53   #12438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_sun View Post
... I would like to identify the weakest point in my current setup:
Alpine 117, Rainbow Dreamline (Comp+Coax) front and rear, DD c4c and DD CM 600 for iD v3 D4, AV rca and speaker wires, dyna mat extreme. ...
The Alpine HU IMHO - you could do with some Time Alignment. Also, not sure of the bit-rates of your media, but 320kbps and above or loss-less like FLAC / ALAC might help.
Old 3rd March 2014, 10:39   #12439
BHPian

Need Woofer Advice URGENT!!!

Hi everyone, I am planing to upgrade my current setup and i need help with it.

I want to install 2 woofers but I am confused which one to choose, should I buy TWO Infinity - Reference 1220SE http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infi...12-inch/659126 or ONE Infinity - Reference 1220DE Dual 12"http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infi...dual-12/659123

Which is a better option?

And for amp.. I am thinking of JBL - GTO 751EZ - Mono Channel Amplifier (1200 W) http://www.snapdeal.com/product/jbl-...nnel/834618175

Any suggestion regarding amp or woofers is welcome.

Thank you.
Old 3rd March 2014, 13:31   #12440
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Woofer Advice URGENT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantv2003 View Post
... I want to install 2 woofers but I am confused which one to choose, should I buy TWO ... or ONE Infinity - Reference ...
Buying the 2-woofers-in-box is better than buying 2 of the single-woofer-in-box. The reason is the impedance of the first option: 2ohms. If you have 2, you will either get 1 ohm (in parallel) which most amps will not support, or you will get 4 ohms (in series) which will limit power being pushed. With the 2nd option, at least a mono (like you want to buy) will be able to drive it at 2 ohms.

Quote:
... JBL - GTO 751EZ - Mono Channel Amplifier (1200 W) ...
Good choice
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2014, 22:19   #12441
Senior - BHPian

I have a 2008 Fiesta running with OEM HU, OEM rear speakers and Kicker ES 6.2 front component speakers, with dynamat damping on the front doors. I still do not have the bass i desire from the front components.

Should I -

-Retain the HU without the USB option ( to retain the stock looks ) and get an amplifier?

- Change the HU with a powerful aftermarket one, that has sufficient pre-amp to provide the bass I am looking for?
Old 4th March 2014, 23:16   #12442
BHPian

Thank you DerAlte

now i am thinking to upgrade everything.. not just woofers.
i would really appreciate if you can help me with it.

I want Quality setup. although on a budget still i don't wish to compromise much.
N' yes, i love playing music very loud time to time so.. basically i am looking for Quantity(high volume) and Quality as well.

now, my confusion is...

For Front 6.5 Components

1.Polk Audio - DXI6500 around 10K
2.Infinity - Kappa 60.11cs around 8.5K
3.Polk Audio - DB6501 around 8.5K
4.Focal - KIT 165A1SG around 7K
5.Hertz - ESK 165.5 around 7K
6.JBL - GTO S649C around 7K

Rear 6x9

1.Polk Audio - MM691 around 10-11K
2.Infinity - Kappa 693.11i around 7K
3.Rockford Fosgate - Punch Series - P1692 around 6.5K
4.Polk Audio - DB691 around 6.5K

4ch Amp

1.JBL - GTO 804EZ - 4 Channel Amplifier (940 W) around 10K
2.GROUND ZERO - 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - IRIDIUM SERIES GZIA 4115HPX around 8K
3.JBL - GX-A644SI around 7.5K

Mono Amp

1.JBL - GTO 751EZ - Mono Channel Amplifier (1200 W) around 14K

need suggestion

Woofer

1.Infinity - Reference 1220DE Dual 12" around 20K

need suggestion

sorry for such a long post.
Old 5th March 2014, 12:20   #12443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... now, my confusion is... For Front 6.5 Components ...
1.Polk Audio - DXI6500 around 10K - Audition
2.Infinity - Kappa 60.11cs around 8.5K - Nice
3.Polk Audio - DB6501 around 8.5K - Very bright the last I heard
4.Focal - KIT 165A1SG around 7K - Nice
5.Hertz - ESK 165.5 around 7K - Bright
6.JBL - GTO S649C around 7K - Not heard, but likely to be bright

Quote:
... Rear 6x9 ...
1.Polk Audio - MM691 around 10-11K - Good bass
2.Infinity - Kappa 693.11i around 7K - Very good
3.Rockford Fosgate - Punch Series - P1692 around 6.5K - 'OK'
4.Polk Audio - DB691 around 6.5K - bright. Also, I thought DB series is costlier than MM, so check prices again

Quote:
... 4ch Amp ...
Given your preference for a loud system:
1.JBL - GTO 804EZ - 4 Channel Amplifier (940 W) around 10K - 1st choice
2.GROUND ZERO - 4 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER - IRIDIUM SERIES GZIA 4115HPX around 8K - 2nd choice
3.JBL - GX-A644SI around 7.5K - 3rd choice

Quote:
... Mono Amp ...
The JBL Mono is good. You could also look at Kenwood KAC 8105D or Ground Zero GZIA 1.600HPX.

Quote:
... Woofer ...
That Infinity is a prefinished box. You could also look at:
1. Prefinished boxes from Polk, Focal and Ground Zero (all will be 20K+)
2. Buying the subwoofers (Infinity Kappa / Reference, JBL, Ground Zero, Focal, Polk etc.) and getting a custom ported box made. Buy 4 ohm single VC subs (wire them in parallel), or 2 ohm Dual VC subs (wire VCs of each sub in series, and wire the 2 subs in parallel)
Old 5th March 2014, 21:49   #12444
BHPian

So, finally..
Front - Infinity - Kappa 60.11cs around 8.5K(any other advice?)
Rear - Infinity - Kappa 693.11i around 7K
Amp 4ch - JBL - GTO 804EZ - 4 Channel Amplifier (940 W) around 10K
Amp MONO - JBL - GTO 751EZ - Mono Channel Amplifier (1200 W) around 14K

now, for the woofers..
option 1. Prefinished boxes from Polk, Focal, Infinity etc are as you said above 20K

option 2. Two Single/Double Coil Woofer with custom made box (vented). so now which 2 woofers?
A.Rockford Fosgate - Punch Series - P2D2-12 - 12'' P2 2 Ohm DVC Subwoofer
B.Focal - SUB P 30 - 12''
C.Polk Audio - DB1240 SVC
D.Polk Audio - DXI124 DVC
E.Infinity - Reference 1262W - 12 inch Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer (1200W)

all of these 12" subs are between 6-10k.
i am very confused now.
regarding my Mono Amp.. please suggest best solution... which woofer? single/double coil? 2/4ohms?

or should i go for one or may be two 15" subwoofer? may be Rockford Fosgate - Punch Series - P1S4-15 - 15'' P1 4-Ohm SVC Subwoofer? the cost is around 9K

please advice
Old 6th March 2014, 11:55   #12445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
... I still do not have the bass i desire from the front components. ...
Wrong expectation. 6.5" speakers do have some bass, but that cannot be called great punchy bass. What you should do is:

1. Get 6x9 coaxes on the parcel shelf (may need MDF adapters, if the hole provided is round. Would cost you 4-6K - JBL, Infinity, Polk, Focal, Bull ...

2. Drive it through the existing HU. See if this satisfies some of your bass urge

3. Add a 4-channel amp (~6K), and a 12" sub in a sealed box (6-7K) in the boot. When you add the amp, the ovals will still be on HU. The amp will drive the front components and the sub

Quote:
... i am very confused now.
regarding my Mono Amp.. please suggest best solution... which woofer? single/double coil? 2/4ohms? ...
Which car do you have? A single 15" is good, but you should have space for that. Ditto for 2 subs in the boot.

Check the price of Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub. It fast, it is loud and it goes really low. Should be 10K or less. It has selectable impedance. Set it for 2 ohms if you are buying 1, or 4 ohms if you are buying 2 (and connect both in parallel). Use a ported box. For box internal volume and port size, check the manual. Driven by a mono, it should satisfy your need for loud powerful bass. IMHO even 1 will do.
Old 6th March 2014, 12:16   #12446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Wrong expectation. 6.5" speakers do have some bass, but that cannot be called great punchy bass. What you should do is:

1. Get 6x9 coaxes on the parcel shelf (may need MDF adapters, if the hole provided is round. Would cost you 4-6K - JBL, Infinity, Polk, Focal, Bull ...

2. Drive it through the existing HU. See if this satisfies some of your bass urge

3. Add a 4-channel amp (~6K), and a 12" sub in a sealed box (6-7K) in the boot. When you add the amp, the ovals will still be on HU. The amp will drive the front components and the sub
Thanks DerAlte, by bass, I do not mean sub like bass. I am just looking for decent bass, like the OEM Honda City's front speakers put out.

And I am not really inclined to have a sub, as I feel the boom coming from the rear and the highs alone from the front somewhat disrupts the whole music stage

What I have in mind at the moment -

Option A- Continue the current set up - ( OE HU, OE rear speakers, Kicker front components) with an Amp to run all the four speakers.

Option B- Change the OE HU with a good HU, that has pretty powerful pre-Amp to produce sufficient bass till I save up enough money for an Amp.
Old 6th March 2014, 13:04   #12447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I feel the boom coming from the rear and the highs alone from the front somewhat disrupts the whole music stage ...
No, that is not true. In a decently tuned system the sub bass integrates with the front stage, and the whole system sounds the way the music was intended to be heard. Without a sub, you are missing a few critical parts of the track. Sure one can do without salt, but not having a sub is like missing salt in food.

Perhaps you should listen to good ICE systems in cars - any experienced installer will be able to give you an audition.

Quote:
... What I have in mind at the moment -...
IMHO neither of your options is going to give you what you want - not enough bass is being produced in the car for you to hear. It is the existing speakers which are at fault - they don't produce enough bass. Bass loudness is proportional to speaker cone area. Even if you use an external amp, those speakers won't do otherwise. You just *need* speakers that make good bass - either 8" mid bass (not practical) or 6x9 ovals (cone area same as 8" round).
Old 6th March 2014, 14:18   #12448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Which car do you have? A single 15" is good, but you should have space for that. Ditto for 2 subs in the boot.

Check the price of Infinity Kappa 120.9 sub. It fast, it is loud and it goes really low. Should be 10K or less. It has selectable impedance. Set it for 2 ohms if you are buying 1, or 4 ohms if you are buying 2 (and connect both in parallel). Use a ported box. For box internal volume and port size, check the manual. Driven by a mono, it should satisfy your need for loud powerful bass. IMHO even 1 will do.
I have Swift LDI 2010 Make (Not the current one available but the model just before. Boot Space around 230Ltrs)

the sub you mentioned is available online for 11K http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infi...12-inch/659134

The manual for the box volume/ size will be provided with the sub? and what if i plan to use 2 subs? simply double the size/volume given for 1sub?

i really appreciate your help, sorry for so many questions.
i just want to be 100% sure to get best bang for my buck.

also.. the other components i mentioned (front/rear speakers,amps) should i finalize them?

thank you so much for helping me
Old 6th March 2014, 15:29   #12449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have Swift LDI 2010 Make ...
also.. the other components i mentioned (front/rear speakers,amps) should i finalize them? ...
Sub manual - download from here.

Box would be 2 boxes in one enclosure (with a common wall) - like .

Swift with dual sub box in boot = no space left in boot!!!
Old 6th March 2014, 15:39   #12450
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need Woofer Advice URGENT!!!

Quote:
ONE Infinity - Reference 1220DE Dual 12"http://www.snapdeal.com/product/infi...dual-12/659123

I run this Woofer set-up in my car with Mono and Bass/Punch is too good. Just make sure you get a good Amp to realize the true bass of this set-up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks