Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2008, 20:37   #166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Any reason for sticking to blaupunkt speakers ?

If you are getting components upfront i recommend you getting a 4channel amp. Do you drive most of the time, if so why dont you get just front speakers?
I assume you already have a HU. Your best bet would be as follows.

Front comps 5-6k (IMO JBL/BULL is a better choice than Blau)
Rear coax 3-5k (JBL, BULL etc.)
4 channel amp 5-7k (JBL 60.4, Kenwood 8401)
SUB : 5-6k (JBL)
Wiring and installation 2-3k.

Your whole install should cost about 20 -25k. You will save about 3-5k if you skip the rear speakers.(Skip if the rear seat is not used much)
I will be driving alone most of the time but I like to go out on these trips with friends sometimes. We all appreciate a super music system in that case. That is why I will need the rear speakers (however basic they may be) to fill the gap at the back. The sub should take care of the lack in bass from the front+rear speakers.

The reason why I am only looking at an amp for the woofer is because regardless of whether I am alone or with friends, I dont listen to very high volumes. Therefore, I dont see any particular reason to amp the front co-axials too. I know an amp can also improve low volume performance in co-axials but I cant fit it in my budget right now.

My reason for going with Blaupunkt speakers is because I have heard that speakers of a particular brand are usually tuned relatively to match their HUs and other speakers. Of course, it is subjective how good the tuning is but I dont want to get into that confusion of selecting the front speakers again. I have already done too much on this.

So currently, I am looking for
<a> a decent budget subwoofer
<b> a decent yet budget 2-channel amp to drive the sub
<c> better 4-inch speakers than the Blaupunkt GTx 402 if there are any.

Thanks,
-Ganesh
Old 9th September 2008, 21:02   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_guns View Post
Hi again,

Since I am getting the HU and the speakers from Blaupunkt (GTc 542 components for the front), could you please suggest the largest and best speakers that I can fit into the rear stock location without any modifications?
Thanks,
-Ganesh

Ganesh,

the GTc 542 is pretty nice but I suggest that you top up 1.5k and get the Thc 542. I have used both in my palio and the Thc series is a significant upgrade especially in the bass department without becoming boomy and personally prefer the sound signature of blaupunkt to jbl which is a bit bright.

This is assuming prices are still the same when I was doing my purchasing the Gtc 542 was 2.5k and the Thc 542 was 4k

Regarding amp if you are looking at entry level amps I would recommend something other than Blaupunkt because I have one (Gta4) and it seems it is quite susceptible to external interferances and it picks up the odd electrical interference that I am still to get sorted out

EDIT:

Just noticed one of your earlier posts.

Quote:
I have finalised on the GTc 542 components for my front doors and GTx 693 for the rear. The dealer also told me that the car comes with company fitted tweeters in the space near the mirrors which are very difficult to remove and hence I would need to get the tweeters from the component installed on the dash. Is that true? Can't the tweeters be installed in the location provided near the mirrors?
There is a space provided for tweeters next to the mirrors but no tweeters installed. They can accomodate any 1cm sized tweeters so whatever component speaker you get please go ahead and install the tweeters in the stock location and do not go for any ugly dash mount

Last edited by bottle : 9th September 2008 at 21:14.
Old 9th September 2008, 21:09   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
Ganesh,

the GTc 542 is pretty nice but I suggest that you top up 1.5k and get the Thc 542. I have used both in my palio and the Thc series is a significant upgrade and personally prefer the sound signature to jbl which is a bit bright.

This is assuming prices are still the same when I was doing my purchasing the Gtc 542 was 2.5k and the Thc 542 was 4k

Regarding amp if you are looking at entry level amps I would recommend something other than Blaupunkt because I have one (Gta4) and it seems it is quite susceptible to external interferances and it picks up the odd electrical interferance that I am still to get sored out
I thought that the THc series was the entry level series and cheaper than the GTc series. Anyway, I shall try to demo both when I get the speakers fitted.

Any recommendations on the sub and the amp? You recommend that I do not get the Blau amp but can you suggest a couple that I could?
Old 10th September 2008, 00:18   #169
BHPian

I got my Palio ICED from Sound Factor and they did a pretty good job. I however have one issue.. the antenna. The Palio antenna is not available at the dealer and looked like the one available with Sound Factor did not fit. So I don't really have my FM working... Any suggestions on how I can get an antenna for the Palio and from where in Bangalore?
Old 10th September 2008, 03:17   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought that the THc series was the entry level series and cheaper than the GTc series. Anyway, I shall try to demo both when I get the speakers fitted.

Any recommendations on the sub and the amp? You recommend that I do not get the Blau amp but can you suggest a couple that I could?
Not sure about the amp am sure the other gurus can advice you better the blaupunkt sounds good but in a palio you need to take some time to make sure it doesnt pick up any interference.

and Th series is positioned above the GT series I upgraded from Gtc 542 to Thc 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
I got my Palio ICED from Sound Factor and they did a pretty good job. I however have one issue.. the antenna. The Palio antenna is not available at the dealer and looked like the one available with Sound Factor did not fit. So I don't really have my FM working... Any suggestions on how I can get an antenna for the Palio and from where in Bangalore?

Try and get it from an authorised service center
Old 10th September 2008, 10:08   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They can accomodate any 1cm sized tweeters
Most car tweeters have domes of 1" (2.5cm) and if you include the slight flange of the most compact tweeters the OD is more like 4cm. Some like Dynaudio have flanges of 10cm (4")!
Old 10th September 2008, 10:42   #172
Senior - BHPian

ah 1inch sorry.. i noticed that even the veleocity series from blau had tweeters that were quite large

anyways there is a mount for the tweeter inside the door mirror pad where the tweeter just clips in nicely .

Last edited by bottle : 10th September 2008 at 10:44.
Old 10th September 2008, 10:42   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Not sure about the amp am sure the other gurus can advice you better the blaupunkt sounds good but in a palio you need to take some time to make sure it doesnt pick up any interference.

and Th series is positioned above the GT series I upgraded from Gtc 542 to Thc 542
Gurus, could one of you please make a recommendation? I would also be grateful if anyone in Pune with a Palio can do me a demo of their setup.

-Ganesh
Old 10th September 2008, 12:05   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The reason why I am only looking at an amp for the woofer is because regardless of whether I am alone or with friends, I dont listen to very high volumes. Therefore, I dont see any particular reason to amp the front co-axials too. I know an amp can also improve low volume performance in co-axials but I cant fit it in my budget right now.
From my experience an amp not only increases the high volume performance of speakers but also increases the clarity at low volumes.
I suggest components in front.
Why dont you do your install in stages ?
A lot of people mix and match their speakers and HU. I have not heard of a certain brand HU playing well with the same brand speakers.
Old 15th September 2008, 16:55   #175
Senior - BHPian

THc 542 is a good buy. The coaxials on the rear door could be THx 542. The TH series is a higher range than GT series.

The GT4 Special Mark 2 is a competent amp. See if you can get a good deal along with the it - drive the front and sub with it. Others in the same category would be Kenwood KAC8401 and the JBL GT5-A504.

@bottle, a good installation (well shielded RCA cables, routed properly) does not suffer from interference.
Old 15th September 2008, 19:13   #176
Senior - BHPian

^ have already posted a lot of detail about steps I took earlier in this thread and the main ice thread.using audison power and rcas plus tried a lot of different ways to route the wires, power and rca are on opp sides of car and even tried the rcas loose over the seats and the amp+hu also removed and not touching anything but the moment the rcas are plugged into the amp the whining from alternator starts. i was recommended an installer who said he would need some time to sort it out but work is keeping me busy so yet to try it.

Last edited by bottle : 15th September 2008 at 19:15.
Old 19th September 2008, 10:15   #177
BHPian

Palio I.C.E.

Hi Guys,
Just bought a new Palio 1.6 and gonna ICE it now. i have read through most of the threads around and got a lot of inputs. i'm just not too sure of what is current in the market right now so would appreciate all the help you can give. Have got the stuff i want to put in figured out. Anyone who has used these components before plese provide feedback or suggestions regarding the same. also, if possible please give me the current pricing and good installer details for Pune.

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P6050UB
Front Components: GTO607c / GTO507c
Amp for Components (Front): GT5-A402
Rear Ovals: GT5-963 / T696
Amp for Ovals (Rear): GT5-A402
Cabling will be Connection Audision if available

With the above stuff, will i need a sub for good bass in the car or will this stuff suffice. and when i ask for bass, i dont want anything earth shattering, al i'm looking for is decent bass to compliment the mid and high freqs. so that the car doesn't sound like one of the cellphone radios..

Thanks in advance
Old 19th September 2008, 11:43   #178
Senior - BHPian

1. If you want to add a sub, then you would have to either change the front amp to A604 - a 4ch amp, or a mono to drive the sub only

2. For the sub you have the choice of getting a 12" JBL sub and get it mounted in a box, or buy a GTO1204B or BR (sealed or Bass Reflex), or even a tube GTO1204T (?)

3. Instead of buying 2 2-ch amps, it is better to go for 1 4-ch amp like A504 or A604 to drive both the front and rear

Do audition the speakers before deciding - your ears should be the final judge.
Old 19th September 2008, 11:47   #179
Senior - BHPian

If you drive most of the time you can skip the rear ovals for the time being and get a sub. Why do you want to get two 2 channel amps you can get one 4 channel instead.
You can get a config similar to this.

HU: Pio 6050
Front components: GTO 607/ illusion electra
AMP: JBL 1004/ 604
SUB: JBL cs 1204 in a sealed enclosure
Wiring: connection audison

The above setup would cost you around 35-40k(max). I am not too sure of individual prices so cant comment on the same.

It would help if you let us know your budget and the kind of music you listen to.
Old 19th September 2008, 12:00   #180
BHPian

amps

the reason i want to go for seperate amps for the comps and the ovals is a cleaner install. i have had an install done in my previous car where i had a 4 channel amp used for the fronts and the sub. the wiring turned out to be quite a mess.

what i had in mind was that since the head unit has 3 pre-outs anyways, i can use 1 for the front comps, another for the rear coax and if and when i get a sub, use the third one.

also, wondering if illusion comps are available in Pune and if so where..

Thanks

Last edited by lucifer919 : 19th September 2008 at 12:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks