Attached Thumbnails
"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195834.jpg  

Old 19th December 2010, 21:57   #333
Senior - BHPian

re: "In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile

Ok, and here it is;

The 6" Hybrid Ovation went into the Mid bass Stock Location
The 1" MT 22 Tweeters went into the Tweeter Stock Location

Now the Biggest confusion was placement of Mid Range Driver, CDM 88. As most of you know the Mid range should be placed above the mid bass and lower than the tweeter. So we were pondering over various options.

Option one: Place the Mid Range above the Midbass by cutting the Door pads. But challenge we faced was the diameter of the Midbass was tad to high to be fit in Door. Also, the Fiesta's inner Door handles were intruding so much space and even if we placed there, 8 out of 10 times the person opening the door have a chance to hit the driver

Option two: Make a nice fiber glass in A pillar accommodating both Mid range and tweeter. I ve already done it once so know the pros and cons of this model. Pros were of course, super imaging, your options to choose (on axis or off axis based on driver response) . But the cons were worrying me - First of all It will obstruct your driving when taking blind corners. Second, FG stuff in longer run can induce stains in the Pillar itself. Most importantly there is dearth of FG experts in Chennai (for a reasonable price and time duration) Period.

Then came a wild idea. I had thought it before when i had the i10, but never really voiced out, as i thought it is impossible to do such a thing. Infact i searched the web for more than a week and didnt find a single documentation on that wildest idea. In fact Saravanan (of Power Zone) was the only guy who echoed the same thing. It was more like a tacit conversation where you know what the other guy is thinking. He was supremely confident that the wild idea would work. In fact he said he too had the same idea some time back. We spoke to few reputed A/C Mechanics, prayed lord one last time and here, this is what we achieve

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195833.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195831.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195830.jpg
Old 19th December 2010, 22:40   #334
Senior - BHPian

Few more install pics;

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195838.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195829.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195823.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195821.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195824.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195827.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195825.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195826.jpg

"In Pursuit of Happiness" - The Journey of a True Audiophile-pc195832.jpg
Mi10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2010, 10:21   #335
Senior - BHPian

I was one of the first ones lucky enough to audition Mi10's new ICE. I am not sure if I am qualified enough to write a review but here goes. It was nothing like I had ever heard before. Previously, an 'active' setup was something theoretical in my head. After hearing Mi10 's setup, I can wholeheartedly say that an active set up is the way to go for people serious about SQ.

My own ICE journey started about a year back. I started auditioning stuff and nearly everything sounded great to me. My reference was my own stock setup in my Fiesta and a basic setup in my 800.

Looking back, I have to say that most of the setups I auditioned ranged from decent to average to downright crappy. That is because my reference level had gone up by several notches after my ICE was installed in the Fiesta. Even I have to admit that it sounded damn good after all the fine tuning, damping and polyfill work was complete. Far better than anything I had heard previously and much better than everything that was installed after mine. I could clearly identify the deficiencies in nearly every setup.

For the first time, what I heard last evening exceeded the SQ in my car. It was at whole new level. It was like the difference between GP2 and F1.

The sound stage

I'll start with my favorite part. The sound stage. This is one area where most setups screw up. In other words 'botched up. The perfect placement of the mid bass, the mid range and the tweeters naturally leads to the most perfect sound stage or image that I have ever heard. It was right in front of the driver without even the need to do any TA. Only minimal TA and EQ adjustments need to made to suit one's individual taste.

The front stage

I had heard a lot about Morels but this was the first time I am hearing one. The hype and the reputation that surround Morel was justified when they came alive. This is easily the most natural reproduction of sound that I have ever heard. Every single note is faithfully reproduced. From the highs to the lows to the mids. Mi10 had previously mentioned that Morel is not known for mid bass. That is BS. My own JL mid bass is no slouch either. They hit like mini subwoofers. The Morel does it even better. I don't have anything to say about the mid range. Just looking at their placement will tell you how good they should sound. The front stage is so alive that it is unreal.

The sub stage

A sub is my fave piece of ICE equipment. My mantra is that a good sub woofer will make its presence felt only when it is absent. In other words, a good sub will merge perfectly with the front sound stage and add the 'feel' that is so vital is so many songs. The Morel Ultimo sub is the most transparent sub that I have ever heard. After a while, you will even forget that there is a 1000W RMS monster in the boot. It sounds way too natural and boy, can it go low! The sub showed its class while playing Hosanna. The sub bass was switching on and off like some transmitter. I have never heard a sub that could cut out a note so quickly after it was muted in the recording. The note usually lingers in the air for at least a second more after it is muted. But not in the Ultimo. It was on-off, on-off. I have never heard anything like that before. It has to be heard to be believed. And crank up the volume and SPL can be heard a few streets away.

The Eclipse HU

I don't have to talk about the SQ. Its well documented and worth the hype. But I got to know the HU's ugly side as well. It has the most pathetic usability when it comes to browsing and song selection. It got incredibly frustrating after a while to search for a particular song or an artist. If Kenwood is like a Mac when it comes to usability, the Eclipse is like a Unix workstation from the 70s. But the SQ. Phew. No comments. Folks who are running an Eclipse in a passive setup have no idea what they are missing.

If one is looking for perfection, this is it. Genesis-Eclipse-Morel-Alpine. Can't get better than this. And a special word about the car. Not a single false sound even when 1300W RMS is moving around. Its like the car was built for ICE-ing. I was also surprised that the tuning took less than 5 minutes. I was expecting it to stretch on for hours. Crossover settings on the HU and the minutest of gains on the amps and the tuning was done.

Install

A word about the install. It was a top notch job. An 'open heart surgery' had to be performed to fit the mid range speakers and it would have taken nerves of steel to allow that on a brand new car. Mi10 's passion clearly showed in that. I must say that that along with the SQ, the install has also been taken to a whole new level. I can't think of too many installers who can take apart an airbag equipped dash and put it back together without lighting up the airbag malfunction light. Just looking at the WIP pictures gives me the creeps. Its as stealth as an install can get.

Mi10 enjoy your ICE. And get a P99RS for better usability and full 4 way active.
Old 20th December 2010, 16:26   #336
Senior - BHPian

Mi10 a very congratulations on getting the prefect ICE setup. It has been a long journey indeed. I am sure the system sounds great.

The FG enclosure looks like stock, a job very well done there. 1 question why have ya damped the rear of the enclosure ?
Old 20th December 2010, 16:33   #337
Senior - BHPian

Had the opportunity to experience this unique setup yesterday, and i must say, i was blown away, both with the install, and the amount of research which has gone into this project! The soundstage is perfect, and it appears as though this car was designed with ICE'ing in mind. (the position of the speakers)

The finish of install is again mindblowing. Everything looks OE, and at first glance, its impossible to notice the mids in the AC vents! The Sub integrates very well with the whole setup, and doesn't overpower the front at any time, and the tweeters are quite laid back. Just the way i like it! Hosanna never sounded so good previously!!

The only issue was that we Didn't have much high bitrate CD's yesterday, looking forward to another demo with proper CD's the next time!
Old 21st December 2010, 09:52   #338
Team-BHP Support

Very nice job Mi10. THis is the sort of install that I love to see. Innovative, well thought out and beautifully executed.

BTW your 88mm domes will now get cool air forced into their voice coils thereby increasing their thermal power handling.
Old 21st December 2010, 11:56   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Very nice job Mi10. THis is the sort of install that I love to see. Innovative, well thought out and beautifully executed.

BTW your 88mm domes will now get cool air forced into their voice coils thereby increasing their thermal power handling.
Thanks Navin, it means a lot to me coming from you.

No sir, we have taken out the full ducting itself. We didnt want to take a chance with water droplets getting in near VC.
So Mid Range is only as good as its specs say.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:23   #340
Senior - BHPian

Finally after a lot of thoughts going in for the install over the months has well paid off.
However I'd like know at what angle are the midrange crossing ? Did you try them with keeping it on axis ?

Wait for the drivers to get done with the brake in period. Both the midbass and sub will start to shine.

What freq. point are you running on the drivers?

Last edited by Invinsible : 21st December 2010 at 12:28.
Old 21st December 2010, 12:42   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Finally after a lot of thoughts going in for the install over the months has well paid off.
However I'd like know at what angle are the midrange crossing ? Did you try them with keeping it on axis ?

Wait for the drivers to get done with the brake in period. Both the midbass and sub will start to shine.

What freq. point are you running on the drivers?
Thanks, Invinsible.
We powered up the mid range and tweeter by placing in the A/C vent by sitting in front seat - the imaging was as perfect as it can get (for me). So didnt bother going the FG way.

XO is like this;
Woofer: 80 Hz @ 12 db
Mid bass: 80 Hz @ 12 db to 800 Hz @ 12 db
Mid Range: 800 Hz @ 12 db to 3800 hz @ 6 db.
Tweets pick on after than

Sounds divine. I think you should hear the Ultimo - Its a unique expereince altogether
Old 21st December 2010, 15:06   #342
BHPian

PERFECT.
This is the only word that comes to my mind looking at the installtion pics. Not a thing seems to be out of place. You can claim the car was delivered with the ICE and everyone will believe it for sure. Please convey my best wishes to the installer.

I just went like 'oh ....' when i saw the dashboard stripped and steering removed. If i write what i thought, i will get an infraction for sure. Nothing but Sheer madness and absolute craziness would have made you do this to a brand new car, that too with Airbags.

Congrats buddy, your passion fulfilled and dream has really come true.
Hope your search for the 'budget audiophile' has come to an end. With your tight budget, i hope you have to live with this simple setup.

ok tell me now, where have hidden the extra battery?
Old 21st December 2010, 15:08   #343
Senior - BHPian

MAN, this is pure orgasm! I am very very very impressed. I cried when I saw the dash stripped out.
I have only word to say now

CARPUTER.

Signing off.
Old 21st December 2010, 15:45   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoneer View Post
PERFECT.
This is the only word that comes to my mind looking at the installtion pics. Not a thing seems to be out of place. You can claim the car was delivered with the ICE and everyone will believe it for sure. Please convey my best wishes to the installer.

I just went like 'oh ....' when i saw the dashboard stripped and steering removed. If i write what i thought, i will get an infraction for sure. Nothing but Sheer madness and absolute craziness would have made you do this to a brand new car, that too with Airbags.

Congrats buddy, your passion fulfilled and dream has really come true.
Hope your search for the 'budget audiophile' has come to an end. With your tight budget, i hope you have to live with this simple setup.

ok tell me now, where have hidden the extra battery?
Lol, No extra battery - Running Stock battery only, In fact the whole of the car cries stock

Wait till you hear this thing - eager to give you an audition

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
MAN, this is pure orgasm! I am very very very impressed. I cried when I saw the dash stripped out.
I have only word to say now

CARPUTER.

Signing off.
Wish you were here - I am sure the Visual orgasm would have translated into Audio orgasm :P
Old 21st December 2010, 16:11   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi10 View Post
Thanks, Invinsible.
We powered up the mid range and tweeter by placing in the A/C vent by sitting in front seat - the imaging was as perfect as it can get (for me). So didnt bother going the FG way.

XO is like this;
Woofer: 80 Hz @ 12 db
Mid bass: 80 Hz @ 12 db to 800 Hz @ 12 db
Mid Range: 800 Hz @ 12 db to 3800 hz @ 6 db.
Tweets pick on after than

Sounds divine. I think you should hear the Ultimo - Its a unique expereince altogether
Sounds just perfect.
You will diffidently get a call on my next trip to your town. Make sure u remove some time out

Crossover point at set at best. However I would have liked if if the midrange were set a bit lower and higher. Midrange upto 5k hz would work the best in my opinion. And since the tweeter is set next to the midrange you could use steeper slope to cancel any phase issue. You could probably try this later once the drivers passes the break in period.
Might make some improvement in imaging.

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks