Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2008, 00:24   #181
BHPian

Gunbirji
the sleeve thing is sorted,seems the i10 has its own sleeve and Zohir had done a good job installing and securing the HU correctly

B&T
Aiee where were you sirji when i had been considering this for so long??
went to boom today and chalked out the SWWS plan using the GZ 12 incher(which btw fits in perfectly;the mounting depth of just 5.5 inch approx helps )
Zohir's thought of a way to avoid damage as you say ( btw he too has the same apprehensions as you about the SWWS and choice of woofer)

Now your apprehension clubbed with his makes me go HMMM.. all over again!

should i drop the SWWS story or review my woofer choice?
Old 16th June 2008, 12:50   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magma View Post
Now your apprehension clubbed with his makes me go HMMM.. all over again!

should i drop the SWWS story or review my woofer choice?
I'm sorry I worded my previous post incorrectly. Whichever woofer you use, the bass will not be correct unless you properly seal the wheel well. Just throwing a plank over it is not the perfect solution.
Old 16th June 2008, 14:10   #183
Senior - BHPian

In agreement with Ajay Bhai the SWWS is not the way to go if you want good SQ. It is anyday better to go for a sealed box.
Old 16th June 2008, 21:57   #184
BHPian

Darn!! there goes my space saving alternative down the tube!
i thought you guys would encourage me to build a fibreglass enclosure using the Spare wheel mould!( i guess the volume would be too small)
what about a mould around the spare wheel including the wheel itself! -or is that too out there?
Old 23rd September 2008, 16:19   #185

Im sorry but the h/unit install in this getz is disgusting what are you doing with all those cable ties and plug's.As a car audio and security installer myself i would like you to fill me in on how soldering your connections is not the rite way to connect cables of this gauge.And im not sure i understand why you are running the speaker cables through a drainage hole in the door jam not only does it look VERY VERY dodgy you are also encreasing the chance of cable breakes running the wire's like this.the correct way to do this is to run the cable through the factory door jam loom and if the loom has a sealed plug on the kick panel end drill an 8mm hole trough a blank spot in the plug.PLEASE HUMOUR ME WITH YOUR RESPONSE
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:07   #186
Senior - BHPian

Dear Grant,

First off, welcome to TBHP's ICE section. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant View Post
As a car audio and security installer myself i would like you to fill me in on how soldering your connections is not the rite way to connect cables of this gauge.
Soldering is fine. We normally use an after market harness when available. In this case, the harness wasn't available when that pic was taken. So instead of cutting / splicing any cables (and risk warranty being void by car mfr) we made a temp harness. Even now, this car has an aftermarket harness which just plugs into the stock harness. Connections thereafter to the HU are either soldered or 3M tap on.

Quote:
And im not sure i understand why you are running the speaker cables through a drainage hole in the door jam not only does it look VERY VERY dodgy you are also encreasing the chance of cable breakes running the wire's like this. the correct way to do this is to run the cable through the factory door jam loom and if the loom has a sealed plug on the kick panel end drill an 8mm hole trough a blank spot in the plug.
I know drilling through the molex style connector is what every installer does by the streetside, but that is not kosher with me. Again, I try to keep my car's electricals as stock as possible.

BTW, the hole we used to route the cable is not a drainage hole. I have a thick 14ga (OD 10mm) cable going through this location. The car is now in its 50th month and done almost 90000 KM, the cables are holding up fine, no issues whatsoever.

I appreciate your eye for detail, but there is no ONE way to do anything. You have your way, I have mine. Rest assured, If I find your way is better ( = safer, convenient, customer friendly, reversible) I will do it your way.
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:33   #187

how is wireing an aftermarket h/unit plug into your car going to void warranty and if you are trying to keep your electrical system as stock as possible why are you running a new set of speaker wire's into your door what sought of rms is the amplifier you are running giving to the speakers in the door's as the stock cabling in the door's is good for anything upto around 60rms.im not sure i get what you mean by calling me a street side
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Dear Grant,

First off, welcome to TBHP's ICE section. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Soldering is fine. We normally use an after market harness when available. In this case, the harness wasn't available when that pic was taken. So instead of cutting / splicing any cables (and risk warranty being void by car mfr) we made a temp harness. Even now, this car has an aftermarket harness which just plugs into the stock harness. Connections thereafter to the HU are either soldered or 3M tap on.

I know drilling through the molex style connector is what every installer does by the streetside, but that is not kosher with me. Again, I try to keep my car's electricals as stock as possible.

BTW, the hole we used to route the cable is not a drainage hole. I have a thick 14ga (OD 10mm) cable going through this location. The car is now in its 50th month and done almost 90000 KM, the cables are holding up fine, no issues whatsoever.

I appreciate your eye for detail, but there is no ONE way to do anything. You have your way, I have mine. Rest assured, If I find your way is better ( = safer, convenient, customer friendly, reversible) I will do it your way.
Old 23rd September 2008, 17:55   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how is wireing an aftermarket h/unit plug into your car going to void warranty and if you are trying to keep your electrical system as stock as possible why are you running a new set of speaker wire's into your door what sought of rms is the amplifier you are running giving to the speakers in the door's as the stock cabling in the door's is good for anything upto around 60rms.im not sure i get what you mean by calling me a street side
Peace!!!Chillax Grant,he did not called you a "Streetside weather directly or indirectly",its here in India you have streetside installers that play around with the car electricals and ruin them by taping it all over and everywhere which is possible.

We have Car HU sockets available for almost all models available in India which "click-lock" in the socket provided by the company and then the Head Unit is attached,by the means of crimps/connectors/soilders or 3M taping.

Ramie
Old 23rd September 2008, 18:18   #189
Senior - BHPian

Hi grant, and welcome to the forum. Nice to have an installer from another part of the world on here. I hope we will all get to learn from you. Do share pics of installs etc. I am sure car audio in Oz must be in a different league altogether.
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:05   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello Grant,

Like B&T said, nice to have a car audio professional from another country.
Why don't you set up an introduction thread - perhaps with a few pictures of what you do and stuff. It would be nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
"Streetside weather directly or indirectly",
We have the same weather literally everywhere in India.
Old 24th September 2008, 10:44   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Im sorry but the h/unit install in this getz is disgusting what are you doing with all those cable ties and plug's.

VERY VERY dodgy you are also encreasing the chance of cable breakes running the wire's like this.

PLEASE HUMOUR ME WITH YOUR RESPONSE
Grant,
We do appreciate your comments and I see that Gunbir has responded most maturely to them. However I find no need to use the rather strong language and sarcastic tone you have used.

We understand that in Australia installers are better equipped and have larger workshops (space constraints are few) but in my view most Indian installers are doing a fantastic job given the limitations in infrastructure they face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Do share pics of installs etc. I am sure car audio in Oz must be in a different league altogether.
B&T,

'Oz', US, Germany, and even less developed countries like Malaysia and Thailand have far more developed and demanding user base than India. However the Indian customer is getting more discerning (and willing to pay for quality) and this will 'inspire' Indian installers to raise thair game. Evolution is a process.

Grant,
Like Sam, Gunbir, and B&T, I too would love to see YOUR installs from Oz, I am sure most here at TBHP would welcome these pics.
Old 28th September 2008, 15:46   #192

my problem is that install's such as these are often brought to my work and they frustrate me with a little bit more time taken the job can be done 100% neater than this
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Grant,
We do appreciate your comments and I see that Gunbir has responded most maturely to them. However I find no need to use the rather strong language and sarcastic tone you have used.

We understand that in Australia installers are better equipped and have larger workshops (space constraints are few) but in my view most Indian installers are doing a fantastic job given the limitations in infrastructure they face.

B&T,

'Oz', US, Germany, and even less developed countries like Malaysia and Thailand have far more developed and demanding user base than India. However the Indian customer is getting more discerning (and willing to pay for quality) and this will 'inspire' Indian installers to raise thair game. Evolution is a process.

Grant,
Like Sam, Gunbir, and B&T, I too would love to see YOUR installs from Oz, I am sure most here at TBHP would welcome these pics.
Old 29th September 2008, 08:37   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my problem is that install's such as these are often brought to my work and they frustrate me with a little bit more time taken the job can be done 100% neater than this
care to post some of your neater install pics?
Old 3rd October 2008, 14:34   #194
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Absolutely in agreement with you Grant. Just that here in TBHP we prefer to be a bit more..hmm... sensitive/diplomatic :-)
Old 7th June 2009, 16:06   #195

Hi, Gunbir, need help. I am in Delhi and my Getz CRDI is due by the end of this week. Can you help me by providing the contact details who can install the ICE as per your instructions. Any help will be appreciated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks