Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2005, 11:28   #286
BHPian

I looked around for Finolex or Anchor in Bangalore's biggest electrical market. While they do stock the stuff, they expect you to buy it in bulk. Now, what will I do with that much wire? I checked out the Polycab stuff. There are a couple of distributors near my house but they do not sell in small quantities. I got some cable (1.1KV rating) but the thing is too stiff. So, I said forget it and bought the kit.

By the way, getting spare fuses for the +12V line seems to be so difficult. Does anyone know where I can get the stuff? I misplaced the fuse that came with the kit. So I looked around and got one from an installer who had one fuse box lying around. This is 40A rating. I hope this is okay.

I am starting the installation in a day or two (or more). I have some questions.

1) Will the power wire and remote turn on wire run under the door frame or below the carpet?
2) I removed the boards in the boot and saw that there is no bolt to ground the amp. Do I just drill a hole into the body?

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 15th November 2005 at 11:31.
Old 15th November 2005, 12:03   #287
Senior - BHPian

Vivek you can run the power cables along the side, under the carpet. Please ensure you dont hinder seat adjustment / movement, seat belt operation. Vivek I forget what car you have... In case the 5mtr power cables end up shorter than desired, you can run them along the center of the car. This can sometimes liberate a few valuable inches of cable.

As for grounding, dont drill a hole in your boot. Simply bacause you may accidentally drill into your fuel tank. Again, if I could remember what car, I could be a more specific. Usually you will find plenty of existing grounding points (like rear seat belt anchor point) below the rear seats. Paint can sometimes hinder good grounding. It is strongly suggested you scrape away some paint from such a point, exposing metal, and then use this point.

Enjoy...
Old 15th November 2005, 12:53   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Palio Eyeballer - New Lighting, New HU!

Old 15th November 2005, 13:34   #289
BHPian

@sam: nice pics sam, was wondering whether u made use of a nucleur reactor to power the lights and all those monstrous speakers.

How much power do they consume..am curious!
Old 15th November 2005, 13:53   #290
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

goodness me...the eyeballer has become more jhakas since the last time i drove it..and the P1Y..love it sam,just love it..hehe..seriously not kidding..and btw one of the pics in a different thread looking at which i senced sams gone thin by quite a lot..what sam dieting ya shaadi ki intezaar thats making u slim down..

PS : just waiting to get my hands on the eyeballer this time when it comes to bangalore..sam how about some strobes and neons under the car too..now what a crowd puller that will be..and imagine the eyeballer and the disco 82 cruising in unison..
Old 15th November 2005, 14:38   #291
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni
How much power do they consume..am curious!
Approximately 150A of current, 12V-14V, depending.
Old 15th November 2005, 17:30   #292
Team-BHP Support

Sam, you should have taken pics of the 150A secret under the car! :-)
Old 15th November 2005, 19:52   #293
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Sam, you should have taken pics of the 150A secret under the car! :-)
here u go navin :

Old 16th November 2005, 00:18   #294
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir
Vivek you can run the power cables along the side, under the carpet. Please ensure you dont hinder seat adjustment / movement, seat belt operation. Vivek I forget what car you have... In case the 5mtr power cables end up shorter than desired, you can run them along the center of the car. This can sometimes liberate a few valuable inches of cable.

As for grounding, dont drill a hole in your boot. Simply bacause you may accidentally drill into your fuel tank. Again, if I could remember what car, I could be a more specific. Usually you will find plenty of existing grounding points (like rear seat belt anchor point) below the rear seats. Paint can sometimes hinder good grounding. It is strongly suggested you scrape away some paint from such a point, exposing metal, and then use this point.

Enjoy...
I have an Alto. Is there any good ground point you can suggest?

Sam, nice pics.
Old 16th November 2005, 09:49   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
here u go navin ..
ha ha ha. is there any place where that camera of your does not travel :-) now I know your naughty mind will come up with some witty answer.
Old 16th November 2005, 09:51   #296
Team-BHP Support

BTW did anyone notice the size of the inductors on those crossovers?
My biggest disappointment at this show was MB Quart.
Old 16th November 2005, 10:38   #297
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
My biggest disappointment at this show was MB Quart.
ouch..u hit the nail right on the top yaar..ya the MB Quarts skoda was a big let down..specially the subs box design with all that tissue paper flying around..well JB and myself had an oppurtunity to have an exclusive demo in that skoda but we were nonetheless very disappointed..as a matter of fact my car has way better SQ than any of these cars actually better than most cars that i have heard till today..
Old 16th November 2005, 11:59   #298
BHPian

Gunbir, where are you? I was hoping you would tell me where I can find a grounding point for my Alto.
Old 16th November 2005, 12:06   #299
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Gunbir, where are you? I was hoping you would tell me where I can find a grounding point for my Alto.
hey vivek gunbir has already mentioned to look at the rear seat anchor point and below the seats for a grounding point..i grounded it to a place under my seat,thats the best place u can get..suggest u take out ur seat and im sure u will find a suitable grounding point..if u find it too difficult to take it out let me know,maybe we can visit my garage(in ur free time i must add) and get the workers to remove the seat for us and all..u can do only the electrical work and leave all the dirty work for them ..
Old 16th November 2005, 12:14   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885
hey vivek gunbir has already mentioned to look at the rear seat anchor point and below the seats for a grounding point..i grounded it to a place under my seat,thats the best place u can get..suggest u take out ur seat and im sure u will find a suitable grounding point..if u find it too difficult to take it out let me know,maybe we can visit my garage(in ur free time i must add) and get the workers to remove the seat for us and all..u can do only the electrical work and leave all the dirty work for them ..
Vivek... I suggest you make some time for this and visit McLarens garage. If possible I will revert soon with pics

Most Viewed