Team-BHP > In-Car Entertainment
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2005, 20:18   #271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Vivek, you shoudl be ashamed of yourself. a DIYer who cant DIY cables! Power cables can be DIYed using 8 SWG or 4 SWG wire and some spade connectors from MX. For speaker cables just interlock 3 sets of belden cable (like women platt their hair). Ok RCA requires a soldering rod but using nice wire (belden) you can do that too.
yaaay..like i said to vivek the deed is done..finally..after all the pondering and stuff..

btw navin u are right..he can make his own wires,we discussed that but one problem is we didnt want to take a risk with the car electricals..one mistake somewhere,one small short circuit and boom ur entire wiring,ur ECU,ur car goes kaput..so we decided to get some company made cables and stick to the safer side rather than experimenting..at home this can be done as its safer,u burn only the wiring but in a car the scenario is different..thats the only reason viveks buying cables and not making his own..but i know ud beg to differ on this..

PS : btw the last i heard from vivek he went back home to open up his newly bought amp to see whats stuff are used inside..thats some DIY spirit for u but id call that madness ..new amp and ud want to open it..naheee..
Old 10th November 2005, 20:20   #272
BHPian

I meant I did not want to take a risk with the DIY amp. The cables should not really be a big problem.
Old 10th November 2005, 20:21   #273
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivekphadnis
Will just 4 SWG electrical cable do for the +12V and ground? And I suppose I need to use a 60A fuse in the +12V rail.
hehe..there u go..a few hours before he says he will buy the cables from sony or some other company and now here we are contemplating about DIYed cables..yikes..vivek whats gotten into u..
Old 10th November 2005, 20:28   #274
BHPian

Just one word with Navin and this is what happens.
Old 10th November 2005, 21:26   #275
BANNED

Quote:
Just one word with Navin and this is what happens.
hhhmm..forgot to tell u guys..had been to viveks place today..saw his DIYed home theatre speakers..drool drool..im very impressed..after seeing that i too have decided to do some DIY guys..inspired by our DIYers navin and vivek..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 10th November 2005 at 21:28.
Old 11th November 2005, 09:30   #276
Team-BHP Support

4 SWG will do fine for 1 or 2 amps totaling about 400 W rms output. They will draw about 40A at full output so a 60A fuse is sufficient.

Get good stranded power cable. I use stuff we get Polycab with a poly sheath. I am trying to find some with teflon/poly combo sheath but so far have not been successful. remember the power cable should be felxible enough to run under carpet and around turns. At home I'd use 7x18 you can use that in a car. for RCA wire i first made my own using instrument 100/40 (sat) and 100/38 (sub) wire. instrument wire is usually OFC nad has 1 tinned so it is easy to trace.

I have some self developed odd colour code that i have followed since the 80s.

Power: Red for Power. Black for Ground. Blue for Remote.
RCA: Yellow for Sub amp. Purple for Front and Green for Rear.

Follow your own drummer Vivek, march to the beat in your head.

I have scant respect for the products of most manufacturers since they are built to a price point and target audience that I do not represent. I respect the manufacturers (not their products) as they have to turn a profit and have shareholders to answer to. As a DIY we have neither objective and we can design our systems to match our own taste. That's freedom.

Today there is a Audio show in Mumbai. I might visit after lunch.

Last edited by navin : 11th November 2005 at 09:35.
Old 11th November 2005, 11:13   #277
BHPian

I wonder where we get Polycab in Bangalore. I saw that Finolex makes power cables for automotive use. But I am not sure if it is available in small quantities. I need to get a fuse box also.
Old 11th November 2005, 12:51   #278
BHPian

Vivek

You need fine strand cable for DC use...minimum 4 guage if you want to have two amplifiers.
Old 11th November 2005, 15:22   #279
BHPian

Quote:
I wonder where we get Polycab in Bangalore. I saw that Finolex makes power cables for automotive use. But I am not sure if it is available in small quantities. I need to get a fuse box also.
Am sure u will find ur ploycab cables in SP Road( Majestic Area). The google search for polycab showed many places in Bangalore BVK Iyengar road, residency road, Malleshwaram etc..
Old 12th November 2005, 00:04   #280
BHPian

The problem with most of these fellows is that they will not sell branded cable in small quantities like 5m or 10m. Do any Bangaloreans know any particular shop where this will be available?

Does the fuse have to be that box kind of thing which comes with the branded wiring kits. Will the regular electrical stuff not be sufficient?

I just bought Boss interconnects for the HU to amp connection. Rs 450 each.

I think I will buy 4 SWG just in case I decide to add a sub and amp later.

Last edited by Vivekphadnis : 12th November 2005 at 00:06.
Old 12th November 2005, 16:26   #281
BHPian

I bought the power wires. The conductor is about as thick as a pencil and the shopkeeper told me it could carry 71A. That should be enough I think. And the strands are thin as JB said.
Old 14th November 2005, 09:14   #282
Team-BHP Support

Vivek it should have in excess of 100 strands.
Old 14th November 2005, 15:28   #283
BHPian

That bloody wire was so difficult to manage. I just went and bought a Boss 8 guage wiring kit.
Old 15th November 2005, 00:40   #284
Team-BHP Support

Naheee! Vivek, you bought a ki? you could not find stranded 4WG cable in Bangy? what kinda town you live in? :-)
Old 15th November 2005, 00:46   #285
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin
Naheee! Vivek, you bought a ki? you could not find stranded 4WG cable in Bangy? what kinda town you live in? :-)
arrey kya yaar navin banglaore ko ek town banadiya..its just that our man doesnt have the time to look for the necessary wires..thats the main hassle..also doesnt want to take any hassles or should i say chances with his car..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks