Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2007, 11:41   #196
Senior - BHPian

hey I have driven the TL and the scorpio.... I like the big fill of the TL but the engine is 10 year old.... it shows when driving with other vehicles [ in fact a partly loaded Eicher 10.90 truck is quicker and fcan sustain speed better than the TL ], it was fine in the safari and seirra when there where no other options, but now..... I don't think so....
Old 30th August 2007, 11:42   #197
Senior - BHPian

hey I have driven the TL and the scorpio.... I like the big fill of the TL but the engine is 10 year old.... it shows when driving with other vehicles [ in fact a partly loaded Eicher 10.90 truck is quicker and can sustain speed better than the TL ], it was fine in the safari and seirra when there where no other options, but now..... I don't think so....
Old 30th August 2007, 12:07   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinar View Post
hey I have driven the TL and the scorpio.... I like the big fill of the TL but the engine is 10 year old....
The TL engine first appeared in the Tatamobile in 1988.
So it's 19 years old!
Old 30th August 2007, 12:20   #199

"The TL engine first appeared in the Tatamobile in 1988.
So it's 19 years old!"

I own one TL 4X4, and the feel is very good, in fact I would go ahead and say that, this is the only Indian vehicle I liked after the Peugeot 309 in terms of getting in and out of a turn and handles well at 120Kmph.

The engine has undergone a lot of ugradations and is a proven load hauler!

Tata's sell about 200 a month in Africa! And also sells in Europe, Australia too!
Old 30th August 2007, 13:05   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8guy View Post
"The TL engine first appeared in the Tatamobile in 1988.
So it's 19 years old!"

I own one TL 4X4, and the feel is very good, in fact I would go ahead and say that, this is the only Indian vehicle I liked after the Peugeot 309 in terms of getting in and out of a turn and handles well at 120Kmph.

Tata's sell about 200 a month in Africa! And also sells in Europe, Australia too!
Hey, I never criticised the engine; I only stated facts!
It is a very successful engine no doubt. Apart from the Tatamobile, it has powered the Sierra, Tata Estate, the still-born Calypso, Sumo, Safari and now the Winger.

But then 19 years is a long time and a replacement is long overdue!

Last edited by directinjection : 30th August 2007 at 13:09.
Old 30th August 2007, 14:54   #201
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
The TL engine first appeared in the Tatamobile in 1988.
So it's 19 years old!

dude I am talking about the engine in TL it's turbo 2L the one found in the safari/sumo turbo/ seirra turbo.....not N.A one which was launched in the tatamobile 207....
Old 30th August 2007, 15:12   #202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
dude I am talking about the engine in TL it's turbo 2L the one found in the safari/sumo turbo/ seirra turbo.....not N.A one which was launched in the tatamobile 207....
Well, they are two versions/ratings of the same engine (designated as TATA 483), just like Fiat's JTD 1.3 comes in ratings of 75, 90 and 105 BHP. The engine remains the same, doesn't it?
Old 4th September 2007, 15:45   #203
Senior - BHPian

When Tata put a turbo on to the 2L engine they had to lower the compression ratio, new pistons/piston rings to handle the power, stronger con rods, stronger bearings,valve springs, new high flow oil pump to cope with the extra oil to the turbo, better water pump design and radiator to handle the extra heat generated by turbocharging an engine, stronger manifolds, better oil filter,etc.
Yes the block and the head design remained same as the old N.A. version but thats it, every thing else changed. If you consider them to be the same engines, than the new 2.2L engine to be launched is base on the 2l engine,that does not mean they are the same.
As for Fiat multi jet engines, they were designed for that power differences from day one.... same metallurgy goes in all the versions. not the case with tat engine, when the 2L engine was designed it was with the best materials/technology available that time [1988]......

Please do not consider them to be same engine.
Old 4th September 2007, 16:41   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you consider them to be the same engines, than the new 2.2L engine to be launched is base on the 2l engine,that does not mean they are the same.
The upcoming 2.2L engine does not seem to be derived from Sumo's, looking at the specs available.

Quote:
Please do not consider them to be same engine.
Well, I wouldn't, if that's what pleases you!

Cheers!
Old 5th September 2007, 00:05   #205
Senior - BHPian

In fact the 2.1 L petrol presently doing duty in the safari is also based on the same 2L engine from the sumo/207. the Head makes the difference. 4 valve/cylinder, direct injection.......
Old 5th September 2007, 15:46   #206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In fact the 2.1 L petrol presently doing duty in the safari is also based on the same 2L engine from the sumo/207. the Head makes the difference. 4 valve/cylinder, direct injection.......
That's true. 2.1 L petrol engine uses a rebored Sumo engine block. While the stoke remains the same (90MM), bore is increased from 83MM to 86MM. Of course, the head is entirely different.

However, the upcoming 2.2 shares neither the bore nor the stoke dimensions with Sumo engine. Also, it is said to be an all-aluminium engine, unlike the Sumo engine.

Hence my inference that 2.2 is a completely new engine.
Old 5th September 2007, 16:45   #207
Senior - BHPian

Totally new engine from TATA....this sounds like more trouble for its buyers, when and if it will be launched. god be with them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
However, the upcoming 2.2 shares neither the bore nor the stoke dimensions with Sumo engine. Also, it is said to be an all-aluminium engine, unlike the Sumo engine.

Hence my inference that 2.2 is a completely new engine.
Old 6th September 2007, 09:18   #208
Senior - BHPian

I said it's based on the 2.0L engine, and by the way you have answered your own question of wether the 2.0L N.A. and 2.0L turbo engines are same or not...... different materials, have to change the compression so different pistons/ con rod, etc. same base different engines......get it.

by the way where did you get the info on the bore/stroke for the 2.2L, I know about the aluminum head and block.....and the power & torque fig, but everything else is still a secret of TATA MOTORS.
Old 6th September 2007, 10:01   #209
Senior - BHPian

It was exposed by me, translated from the TATA Italy site where they have posted the complete spec for 2.2L safari.

My post is here

Quote:
by the way where did you get the info on the bore/stroke for the 2.2L, I know about the aluminum head and block.....and the power & torque fig, but everything else is still a secret of TATA MOTORS.
Old 6th September 2007, 15:22   #210
Senior - BHPian

is it launched??? because today i saw uncovered Xenon in arai decorated with Garlands.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks