Team-BHP > Commercial Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:40   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Indian Taxi Pictures

Although I dont have any pictures to post but there are some fond memories of the loveable Fiat 1100(Premier Padmini). It's really sad to see the number of Fiat 1100 aka Premier Padmini taxis going down day by day on Bombay roads. I have been seeing and sitting in these since my childhood, I always complained then that these taxis should be scrapped as I use to hate to see every second taxi which was a Fiat 1100. When my father used to ask me why should they be scrapped I used to give a silly answer like there are too many of them I want to see some variety and my parents used to have a hearty laugh at my childish answers. My parents are very nostalgic and very fond of Fiat 1100 and always choose it among others whenever there is a need to take a cab. I remember once I had given my car for a yearly scheduled service and we wanted to go somewhere out and boarded a Hyundai Santro cab. My parents including me were not at all comfortable sitting in that cab. While coming back we got to sit in a Maruti Omni, this was worse than the Santro. On our way back my dad started telling me how I used to say that all Premier Padminis should be scrapped, I replied the Fiat 1100 was much comfortable than the taxis of today and had something different than these sissy new taxis(YES it was the rear wheel drive of the Fiat 1100).

One another occassion me and my dad had to take a taxi while we had to go out and again had to board the Maruti Suzuki Eeco nothing better than the Omni. While coming back we managed to get a Fiat 1100 taxi and both me and my dad were delighted. The driver was an old timer and had maintained the vehicle really well, the taxi in question was a late 70's model, side gear(gear stick next to the steering wheel). We started having a conversation with the driver and came to know that he has been driving the same car since the last 35 years and vouched by its reliability, easy maintainence, hauling capacity, etc. He told he is happy to retire himself and the taxi. He also shared the numerous complains he gets from his fellow cabbies about the new taxis. I know these guys are mostly not very educated and reluctant to accept the new technology cars, but the very fact that he was happy with his 35 year odd old Fiat 1100 makes sense as I hardly see any Esteems, Alto's, etc. that came into the taxi market during year 2000 or so. There must be something about these Fiat 1100 taxis that refuse to bow and go out.

(P.S. No offence to Santro, Eeco, Esteem and Alto owners)
Old 22nd March 2013, 20:38   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Although I dont have any pictures to post but there are some fond memories of the loveable Fiat 1100(Premier Padmini). It's really sad to see the number of Fiat 1100 aka Premier Padmini taxis going down day by day on Bombay roads.
Yes indeed, Mumbai is losing the Fiats and Premiers by the hundreds and these will be soon bygone, going by the present day trends.

Indian Taxi Pictures-picture-5832154.jpg

Those were the days

I had posted the picture of a Santro taxi in the "Unlikely Automobiles in Unlikely Places" thread sometime in 2009, when Premiers and Fiats ruled the roads.
But soon, I believe the Premiers and Fiats will vanish and maybe a Premier taxi will feature in the crowd among the new plasticky, ugly boxes (no offence intended at all) in the very same thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-places-8.html

(the Santro taxi features in post # 1 here)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd March 2013 at 20:42.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 22:54   #138

Anybody see Tata Magic being used anywhere?? Just curious.
Old 1st May 2013, 20:05   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Taxis from Kolkata, undoubtedly Ambassadors, even today, in 2013

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-002.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-006.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-007.jpg

Does the donkey's job too!

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-023.jpg

A brand new one

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-051.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-079.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-054.jpg

Interior of another few days old Amby taxi. The electronic meters have printers these days. A new one costs Rs 550,000 (1500 DSL Classic 5 speed and BS III compliant) and the old taxi if exchanged brings in a Rs 50 K rebate.

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-085.jpg

The Ambassador Grand has plastic bumpers (above) and has an almost nil demand lately in the Kolkata taxi market. The bumpers crack upon the slightest impact and make the owner poorer by Rs 3 to 4 K.

Indian Taxi Pictures-premier-taxis.jpg

Taxis from Mumbai, undoubtedly Premiers in 2008 (the picture) but now the winds of change are blowing with many Premiers getting scrapped and getting replaced by Altos, Santros, Wagon R's and so on.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st May 2013 at 20:16.
Old 1st May 2013, 21:25   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Yes indeed, Mumbai is losing the Fiats and Premiers by the hundreds and these will be soon bygone, going by the present day trends.

Those were the days

But soon, I believe the Premiers and Fiats will vanish and maybe a Premier taxi will feature in the crowd among the new plasticky, ugly boxes (no offence intended at all) in the very same thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Taxis from Mumbai, undoubtedly Premiers in 2008 (the picture) but now the winds of change are blowing with many Premiers getting scrapped and getting replaced by Altos, Santros, Wagon R's and so on.
I had a chance to speak to a cabbie who graduated from a Fiat / Padmini to a Santro and he told about 20-20 (Not Cricket). Once he upgraded to Santro, he earns, 20% more, Consumes 20% less fuel. Lateral benefits such as less maintenance, more speed, more trips etc compliment him.

There was an article in Mumbai Mirror around 6 months back. They surveyed various office goers and they voiced that they prefer to use Santros & Wagon Rs compared to Fiats/PAdminis.

I for one, In fact wait till i get a New-Gen taxi rather than flag down a fiat. When i use book my cab.com, i insist for a Santro / Wagon R
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:55   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I had a chance to speak to a cabbie who graduated from a Fiat / Padmini to a Santro and he told about 20-20 (Not Cricket). Once he upgraded to Santro, he earns, 20% more, Consumes 20% less fuel. Lateral benefits such as less maintenance, more speed, more trips etc compliment him.

There was an article in Mumbai Mirror around 6 months back. They surveyed various office goers and they voiced that they prefer to use Santros & Wagon Rs compared to Fiats/PAdminis.

I for one, In fact wait till i get a New-Gen taxi rather than flag down a fiat. When i use book my cab.com, i insist for a Santro / Wagon R
These are true facts about the New Gen cars no doubt. But Premiers/Fiats have a more than a six decade proven record in the taxi trade in Bombay and have their own rightful place. They have carved a niche and there are people who like only Premier taxis.The only problem is that the company has stopped production.

For a simple example, can we load any of the New Gen taxi with these items on their roof racks?

Indian Taxi Pictures-dsc02026.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 2nd May 2013 at 20:00.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 20:54   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Spotted these ones in Kolkata:

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-090.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-kolkataambazarirallyapr2013-092.jpg
Old 21st May 2013, 22:28   #143
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the city of Ambassador.
I stepped out of airport and was looking for some pre paid taxi counter. Looked around and found nothing other than Amby's. Though I am a great fane of it but was not really uncomfortable to bargain with the drivers. The driver also told me there is no prepaid counter. I looked at him suspiciously moved forward, asked someone and understood counter is inside gate 3C.
So later got a prepaid slip and came to the pick up point. They were again Ambassadors only .
Very surprised to see that there is no other cars in Airport.
A chat with driver revealed that the car we were travelling is 10 years old and he will comforably drive it for another 5 years. (State rule is we can use CV's only upto 15 years) The reason for their patron towards Amby was obvious now. I am sure no other car can be driven for 15 years - considering the way how these guys drives.

Indian Taxi Pictures-airport.jpg

Last edited by Ashley2 : 21st May 2013 at 22:30.
Ashley2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 07:21   #144
Senior - BHPian

With the market stagnating, it won't be surprising to see a lot more main-stream 'Personal use' vehicles being seen as Taxis. In the end, if a Company has to sell cars to stay afloat they definitely will sell since being alive today is more important than plans for the future :-(
Old 21st July 2013, 08:51   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

Indian Taxi Pictures-21072013.jpg

For both those who love the Amby, and for those who hate it - here's a piece of news in today's Hindustan Times, to make one feel a little more proud! As they say, the meek shall inherit the Earth (and win taxi races)...

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Autos/...1-1095830.aspx
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 09:09   #146
BHPian

I was watching the latest Top Gear UK series (20) the other day,
And In one of the episodes they planned to do a race of the best Cab in the world with cars like a Stretch Lincoln Limo, a Mercedes, a Ford Crown, a Black British Cab, a Mini, a VW Beetle and a HM Ambassador.
Guess what, who emerged as the winner ?
Our own HM Ambassador black and yellow Cabbie !
It was was the strongest and the best built of them all.
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Taxi Pictures-image3921182431.jpg  

Last edited by satyamkaushik : 21st July 2013 at 09:11.
satyamkaushik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 12:03   #147
BHPian

A panning shot of a Santro taxi
Attached Thumbnails
Indian Taxi Pictures-panning2.jpg  

Old 28th August 2013, 22:56   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pictures while surfing through google images:

Indian Taxi Pictures-2010100253720201.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-delhi-taxis.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-obty890_itaxi_g_20120731083931.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-taxistandatcentral.jpg

Indian Taxi Pictures-taxicabindia.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th August 2013 at 22:59.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2013, 11:31   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyamkaushik View Post
I was watching the latest Top Gear UK series (20) the other day,
And In one of the episodes they planned to do a race of the best Cab in the world with cars like a Stretch Lincoln Limo, a Mercedes, a Ford Crown, a Black British Cab, a Mini, a VW Beetle and a HM Ambassador.
Guess what, who emerged as the winner ?
Our own HM Ambassador black and yellow Cabbie !
It was was the strongest and the best built of them all.
Like all other similar contests conducted by TG, this was also rigged. It was no serious race, and replete with comical moments.
Old 29th August 2013, 11:34   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

Like all other similar contests conducted by TG, this was also rigged. It was no serious race, and replete with comical moments.
I completely agree with you mate

But alas it was only the Amby which standing in good shape after all that beating.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks