Team-BHP > Technical Stuff > DIY - Do it yourself
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2016, 11:53   #61
BHPian

Re: DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Is it not possible to buy the IRVM with completely new type of bracket right from the bottom portion where it is stuck on the glass?
I have done exactly the same. I took off the old IRVM of my Fiesta classic from the glass, it was pasted directly into the windscreen using double sided foam tape sort of adhesive. I informed the same to the seller. The seller then said I can go with any bracket but I chose to the most common bracket available with him(the flat type). Be sure to ask him to send the base as well to you when he ships the mirror.

Once the package arrived, I took it to the windshield exclusive shop and stuck the base which is made of steel to the windshield glass. They use some chemical called urethane to stick the metal piece. After 24 hours of this job, you can happily mount the new IRVM.

The windshield guy took 100/- to fix that metal base to the glass.
saikatmandal04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2016, 11:58   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
I have done exactly the same.
Awesome. Can you please post any pictures of the flat base, mount/ things if you have?
Old 18th April 2016, 15:27   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome. Can you please post any pictures of the flat base, mount/ things if you have?
Sorry... didnt click pictures of the flat mount that came with the IRVM.
Old 18th April 2016, 19:06   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Is it not possible to buy the IRVM with completely new type of bracket right from the bottom portion where it is stuck on the glass? That way, none of us have to care for what is OEM bracket but simply trash the OEM and fit this new IRVM?
Actually I wanted to do the same and I asked the seller Bing Chen about it on my birthday, April 7th as I wanted to buy it for myself as a birthday gift

He told me that he would supply bracket number 1 and one other bracket so that I could fit it on the windshield.

The main concern of mine is this - Whether the glue that I'll be using to stick the IRVM to the windshield will be strong or not. That when I'm driving over potholes and other undulations on the road, will the IRVM I fixed remain stable or keep shaking.

My first attempt at DIY so I'm a bit nervous

Quote:
I have done exactly the same.

Once the package arrived, I took it to the windshield exclusive shop and stuck the base which is made of steel to the windshield glass. They use some chemical called urethane to stick the metal piece. After 24 hours of this job, you can happily mount the new IRVM.

The windshield guy took 100/- to fix that metal base to the glass.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. However, It won't be possible for me I guess as I live in a remote rural area where shops like these are non-existent. I could try buying urethane somehow and try I guess

Last edited by Zappo : 18th April 2016 at 19:50. Reason: No back to back posts please. Use the Multiquote and Edit buttons to respond to everyone in the same post. Back to back posts merged.
Old 20th April 2016, 07:35   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadewilson View Post
It won't be possible for me I guess as I live in a remote rural area where shops like these are non-existent.
You can also check with your car's ASC. I initially went to Ford ASC, where they suggested I visit the windshield guys to paste that piece of metal because Ford uses a double sided tape kind of adhesive for all of the IRVM mounted on the windshield. They said they can provide me that, but the new IRVM being heavier than the stock, it may fall down.

The new IRVM was close to 300 gms when I weighed it on the scale and the ford stock IRVM was roughly 180 gms. So I did not take chance and went to the windshield experts.

My alternate plan was to source a glue from Amazon UK initially had the other arrangement failed. Evo-Stik 320130 2ml Rear View Mirror Adhesive

Cheers!!
saikatmandal04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 08:42   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My Kwid's IRVM doesn't seem to have any screws holding it, but rather seems to be attached the the windshield using glue. Is there any hope for installing an Auto Dimming mirror for Kwid owners?
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
What you'll need to do is, use a mallet and knock the IRVM off the windshield.
Quote:
But I'm afraid that after knocking off the IRVM off the windshield, I won't be able to attach the bracket back as it is held by glue :(
Please dont knock off the mirror
You might end up cracking the windshield. The mirror is attached to the mount and the mount sits on a metal bracket which is pasted to the glass.
Just slide the mount upwards and the metal bracket will be exposed. This metal bracket is pasted really well onto the windshield. No sort of replacement will be as strong as the original bond unless you replace the windshield itself. Once you have the mount in your hand, choose a similar one when you order the mirror. Never try to break the metal bracket out of the glass. Leave it as it is.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 13:48   #67
BHPian

Quote:
You can also check with your car's ASC.

Cheers!!
Hey, I got it off by following audioholic's method. Thank you by the way, it seems I won't be needing the glue anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Please dont knock off the mirror
You might end up cracking the windshield. The mirror is attached to the mount and the mount sits on a metal bracket which is pasted to the glass.
Just slide the mount upwards and the metal bracket will be exposed.
My God!!!! Audioholic, You are a genius man. Seriously, all this time I was scratching my head wondering how to knock the mirror mount with hammer without damaging the glass.

After reading your post, I slid the mount upwards and it came off without any problems. All it needed was just a slide up, hehe

Thank you so much, now I can go ahead with ordering the IRVM for my car
wadewilson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 16:00   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My God!!!! Audioholic, You are a genius man. Seriously, all this time I was scratching my head wondering how to knock the mirror mount with hammer without damaging the glass.

After reading your post, I slid the mount upwards and it came off without any problems. All it needed was just a slide up, hehe

Thank you so much, now I can go ahead with ordering the IRVM for my car
Ah nothing close to genius. Some personal experience and being in the industry always helps. Enjoy your 'DIY' but do give a thought before you make any permanent changes to the car, or before you get tools like hammer or drill gun close to your car The metal is pasted pretty good so as to not come off in any case. Hence if you try to overpower the bond, the metal will come to your hand with some part of the glass, which is an ideal example of a DIY gone wrong.

Last edited by audioholic : 20th April 2016 at 16:02.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2016, 20:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Ah nothing close to genius. Some personal experience and being in the industry always helps. Enjoy your 'DIY' but do give a thought before you make any permanent changes to the car
Thank You. I'm sure with God's grace and help from knowledgeable members like you will ensure my DIY goes smoothly without any problems as I'm a total noob to DIY

I got the model which has a display for the rear view camera along with the auto dimming function. I'm still undecided about the camera, Could you or other knowledgeable members help me out with that as well?

I've attached pictures of the IRVM I bought alongwith the camera I'm planning to buy. I wanted to buy a night vision camera without any LED lights, though I'm confused how do the night vision camera without LED lights work. Could someone shed some light on that as well? Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-aliexpress.jpg  

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-nightvision-camera.jpg  

Old 21st April 2016, 19:10   #70
BHPian

I am super impressed with the DIY listed here for IRVM & ORVM.

I have a Storme EX. And the IRVM comes with manual setting to make it anti-glare.

When I see the pics shared here for the auto anti-glare IRVM, the amount of glare reduced is still less.

Well for the ORVM, I am struggling to find a pair for Tata Safari/storme. If anyone has the links, kindly share here. Thanks.
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:04   #71
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
I am super impressed with the DIY listed here for IRVM & ORVM.

When I see the pics shared here for the auto anti-glare IRVM, the amount of glare reduced is still less.
Thank you Sir for the appreciation.

Regarding your second point of the dimming effect is not too pronounced and isn't sufficient, I fee it is the right amount of dimming that the IRVM is programmed for.

Reason, the manual D/N IRVM that was in my car when turned to the dimming setting, it never lets me know there are objects that are existing without lights or may be dim lights (For Eg: pedestrians, bikers or anyone with no lights functioning etc) all these aren't seen clearly in the IRVM which is dangerous at times but the Auto-dimming IRVM dims the right amount to neither hurt my eye nor make me blind of what is happening at the rear end.

PS: How is the IRVM mounted in your car? Do remove it if you can share the mounting bracket picture. If there is a suitable bracket then you can get one from AliExpress.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2016, 14:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post

Reason, the manual D/N IRVM that was in my car when turned to the dimming setting, it never lets me know there are objects that are existing without lights or may be dim lights (For Eg: pedestrians, bikers or anyone with no lights functioning etc) all these aren't seen clearly in the IRVM which is dangerous at times but the Auto-dimming IRVM dims the right amount to neither hurt my eye nor make me blind of what is happening at the rear end.
Couldn't agree more with you on that. I 've had some panic moments while driving in nights in city with the two wheeler(w/o headlights on) behind us.

While on Highway I purely enjoy it 100%. I think Storme has bracket to the roofline, not definitely on the glass.

By any chance do you know how to procure anti-glare ORVM + auto folding ORVM for Storme ?
Old 24th April 2016, 19:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kams_cars View Post
I think Storme has bracket to the roofline, not definitely on the glass.
Edit: Just checked, Storme also has the IRVM stuck to front shield. It is not on roofline.
Old 29th June 2016, 10:01   #74
BHPian

Hi guys!

I was hoping someone here could help me out with my DIY!

We have a 2016 Ford Figo Titanium automatic. I am posting the photographs of the IRVM mount which is fixed on the windshield.

Can someone please help with following:

1) Share the mount type I have to order along with the IRVM on Aliexpress?
2) How does the existing IRVM come off? Is it just fixed with high strength glue to the windshield or can I slide it off?

I tried moving it all axes, but doesn't budge. I was worried I might break something and hence posting here.

Thanks in Advance!
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-img_5889.jpg  

DIY Install: Auto-Dimming IRVM & Anti-Glare ORVMs-img_5892.jpg  

Last edited by laxmanrk : 29th June 2016 at 10:03.
Old 2nd October 2016, 17:47   #75
BHPian

Followed this thread religiously! I did the DIY this weekend and I am impressed with the results. No more panic situations at night! In my opinion, the mirror has the right amount of dimming to avoid glare, yet see any objects behind uds. The only annoyance now is with the ORVM's becoming more prominant to eyes. I am inclined towards doing the same on the ORVM's too. Thanks a lot a4anurag I seriously suggest everyone to do the same. Drive safe! Anyone with the previous gen swift can also go with Type #26 mount.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 2nd October 2016 at 17:49.
bhp_maniac is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks