Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2017, 10:07   #196
BHPian

Re: The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyghost View Post
I really feel 1000KM per charge is like a holy grail.
I would like to differ on this taking analogy of feature phones vs smart phones. With feature phones, charging once every 4-5 days was the norm while smartphones positively need to be charged every night. Yet, nobody complained that smartphones need to have large battery life. In fact terrible battery life of phone spawned a totally new market of power banks, battery cases and so on. In restaurants, it is not uncommon to find mobile charging points right on tables, something which would have surprised people a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think EV era cannot take off without widespread charging infrastructure, and not just dedicated charging stations. Due to the time required to charge them, EV cars would have to be charged when their owners are busy with something else.
The best part about charging EV is that it does not need a dedicated infrastructure. Also, one need no wait till battery drops to 10% and then charge for hours till it reaches 100%. Say I go downtown for dinner which is 15 kms away. I can simply plugin my car while I eat and car would be full of juices before I can fill my tummy.

Further, since EVs are not mainstream yet, we don't know what kind of innovations will take place. One option is to have supercapacitor banks as charging infrastructure. These supercapacitors can charge slowly and then dump their charge in a flash to charge the battery. Just like we have varieties of petrol/diesel, there may be varieties of chargers depending on how fast they charge on line of Tesla superchargers.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2017, 11:04   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post

The best part about charging EV is that it does not need a dedicated infrastructure. Also, one need no wait till battery drops to 10% and then charge for hours till it reaches 100%. Say I go downtown for dinner which is 15 kms away. I can simply plugin my car while I eat and car would be full of juices before I can fill my tummy.

Further, since EVs are not mainstream yet, we don't know what kind of innovations will take place. One option is to have supercapacitor banks as charging infrastructure. These supercapacitors can charge slowly and then dump their charge in a flash to charge the battery. Just like we have varieties of petrol/diesel, there may be varieties of chargers depending on how fast they charge on line of Tesla superchargers.

Range anxiety is still very common in the land of 100kW Teslas and 310 mile Chevy Bolts. Charging will always be in the back of the mind of owners. Sure you can charge your car for the time you have dinner (could be 45 min or 2 hrs). But depending on how the BMS (battery management system) handles the voltage sag, you may end up with less power before you arrived. Vehicles that use packet cells (Li-Po) which are in the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Bolt, E2O can endup with that voltage sag issue.

There have been a few times with both my colleagues EV cars and motorcycles they throw the vehicle charge (Usually in the states its 240V and a continuous 20 to 30kW) and the pack BMS takes a bit to both balance the whole battery and also continuously provide charge.

In order to deal with supercaps, you need a battery pack that can handle much more than a 1C rating which is at roughly 1Ah (Amp hour). If packs get bigger that Ah curve gets really tough to handle. Not many packs out there come into that over 1C rating.
Bhatman510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2017, 18:18   #198
Distinguished - BHPian

Plug-In Electric Car Sales data (Jan - Nov-17).

- Car Sales Hit New All-Time Record – 141,000 in Nov 2017

- The year hasn’t ended yet, but sales already exceed one million (≈1,039,000)

- China's BAIC EC-Series is the topper while Tesla Model S and Toyota Prius Prime take 2nd and 3rd followed by the Nissan LEAF and the Tesla Model X.

- Chinese companies – BAIC (17,812) and BYD (12,869) make big splash. The only other company above 10,000 in November was BMW (10,873)

- BYD is in line to be #1 in 2017 ( assuming Dec sales of Tesla is average)

- Volkswagen is back in the Top 10, replacing Renault.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev1.jpg

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev2.jpg

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-ev3.jpg

Source

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th December 2017 at 18:20.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2018, 09:22   #199
BHPian

Below chart has the battery efficiency of EVs in different temperatures. EVs are very efficient between 10 to 38 degrees Celsius. This does not have temperatures above 38 degrees as this is from USA.
Attached Thumbnails
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-tesla_temparature_efficiency_celcius.jpg  

Old 9th January 2018, 09:29   #200

Came across this article and their business model sounds too good to be true ! some key points below,

1. People with good credit will be able to walk in a dealership swipe their credit card for Rs 600 and drive out with the IoT enabled car and Pay per day after that
2. Total Cost of Ownership model where you can expect getting an electric car in your home by paying just 6 to 8 rupees per km and no other hidden cost and zero down payments.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/62376651.cms

Their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pg/RT90EV
Old 9th January 2018, 13:39   #201
BHPian

KIA showed their Niro EV concept at the CES yesterday. While its still a concept, KIA announced that it will go into production and sale later this year. Concept is funky but expect the production version to be toned down.

Specs:
64 kWh battery,
150 KW electric motor,
238 miles (383 KMs) of range.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/k...-electric-car/
Attached Thumbnails
The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-niro.jpg  

Last edited by sri_tesla : 9th January 2018 at 13:42.
sri_tesla is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2018, 11:03   #202
BHPian

Global carmakers to invest at least $90 billion in electric vehicles

The push from the governments across the globe seems to have set the ball rolling. Automotive majors are planning nearly $90 billion investments in EV landscape with Volkswagen group having the largest pie of around $40 billion. Of course these are just investments committed till now and can grow if they see the market for EV's growing.

https://in.reuters.com/article/autos...-idINKBN1F505K
Old 16th January 2018, 14:25   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Samsung SDI Battery Tech On Display At NAIAS – 600 km Range, 20-Minute Charge!

Quote:
The key promise is new batteries that enables 600 km (373 miles) range and at the same time 20-minute recharge, which to our knowledge would require power of 300 kW or so.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2018, 12:39   #204
BHPian

Nature always surprises with its secrets and sometimes it seems we haven't even scratched the surface yet. In a recent development, researchers have studied a butterfly and how it absorbs sunlight and used the same in solar cells, thereby enhancing their light absorption rate.

Quote:
Sunlight reflected by solar cells is lost as unused energy. The wings of the butterfly Pachliopta aristolochiae are drilled by nanostructures (nanoholes) that help absorbing light over a wide spectrum far better than smooth surfaces. Researchers of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) have now succeeded in transferring these nanostructures to solar cells and, thus, enhancing their light absorption rate by up to 200 percent. The scientists report their results in the journal Science Advances.
Butterfly wing inspires photovoltaics: Light absorption can be enhanced by up to 200 percent

And in another field two researchers are toying with water (a saline solution) for cheaper and safer battery technology, though not as effective as Li-ion yet.

Quote:
In the quest to find safe, low-cost batteries for the future, eventually we have to ask ourselves a question: Why not simply use water as an electrolyte? Water is cheap, in abundant supply, doesn't burn and can conduct ions. But it has one major drawback: It is only chemically stable up to a voltage of 1.23 volts. In other words, a water cell provides three times less voltage than a customary lithium ion cell with 3.7 volts, which makes it poorly suited for applications in an electric car. A cost-effective, water-based battery, however, could be extremely interesting for stationary electricity storage applications.

For their experiments, the two researchers used the special salt sodium FSI (precise name: sodium bis(fluorosulfonyl)imide). This salt dissolves extremely well in water: seven grams of sodium FSI and one gram of water produce a clear saline solution (see clip). As all the water molecules are clustered around the positively charged sodium cations in a hydrate envelope in this liquid, there are virtually no unbound water molecules left. The researchers discovered that this saline solution displays an electrochemical stability of up to 2.6 volts -- i.e. nearly twice as much as other aqueous electrolytes.
A water-based, rechargeable battery

Last edited by vamsi.kona : 18th January 2018 at 12:54.
Old 1st February 2018, 16:50   #205
BHPian

Any benefits announced for EVs in 2018 budget?
Old 12th February 2018, 11:32   #206
BHPian

Request Information on E mobility motors

Hi! everyone

The 2018 Auto Expo has one thing common for almost all the manufacturers i.e Electric motor driven propulsion. I was wondering if some one could shed some light on the current technology of motors used in cars and bus with respect to following points

1. KW ratings and RPM
2. Synchronous or induction
3. cooling mechanism Air cooled / water jacket etc
4. Approximate weights
5. Controls
6. Degree of protection IPXX
7. Mounting arrangement
8. Shock withstand capabilities
9. Motor life
10. Efficiency

Any information will be helpful.

Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 10:30   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Just the beginning of the EV era, Lithium and Cobalt's future supply already in question!

Tesla's scramble for lithium :

Quote:
Tesla reportedly has been in talks with Chilean lithium supplier SQM to invest in the company and secure a steady supply of the metal. Lithium is a key component in lithium ion batteries used to power electric vehicles, and its future supply could be a major concern for long-term battery production
Link

BMW is looking ahead and aims to secure a 10-year supply of cobalt and lithium for EV batteries as part of a new strategy.

Quote:
The two metals are currently essential to the production of high energy density Li-ion battery cells and if no alternative is found in the next few years, the demand for those metals are expected to soar as Li-ion battery cells start to power more mass-produced electric vehicles.
Link 2
Old 13th February 2018, 16:59   #208
BHPian

This is a gamechanger!! Maharashtra has finally come up with a substantial electric vehicle policy (link) offering significant benefits to the customers. The document is in marathi though. Below is the translation of the policy in english from a new article:

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/ahead-...or-maharashtra

Excerpt:

Quote:
One, The first one lakh EVs to be registered in the state will be eligible for a 15 per cent subsidy from the government.
Two
, The first 250 charging stations in the state will get a 25 per cent capital subsidy from the government, subject to a cap of Rs 10 lakh per station.
Three, EVs will be exempt from road tax and registration fees.
Four, All EV manufacturers will be allowed to set up charging infrastructure at existing petrol pumps, subject to safety clearance from a competent authority.
Five, The electricity tariff for charging infrastructure will be on par with the rates for residential consumers and not commercial consumers.
Further, the policy document mentions that first 70 thousand two-wheelers, 20 thousand three-wheelers and 10 thousand four-wheelers will get subsidy of INR 5,000, INR 12,000 and INR 1 Lakh respectively.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 23:30   #209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
This is a gamechanger!! Maharashtra has finally come up with a substantial electric vehicle policy (link) offering significant benefits to the customers. The document is in marathi though. Below is the translation of the policy in english from a new article:

https://swarajyamag.com/insta/ahead-...or-maharashtra
Wow this is great news, hope these sops will propel the next EV revolution in Maharashtra. I sincerely hope that all other Indian states will follow soon.
Old 14th February 2018, 09:51   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Pure electric cars demand increased by 46% in Europe to 132,000 units in 2017. Tesla has almost beaten Renault !

The Electric Vehicle (EV) Landscape - A Deep Dive-dv7o4sdxkaafhjb.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks