Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 23:36   #196
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

MG has priced the product competitively and the car is feature packed when compared to the base variant of the Tiago EV.
The Tiago EV seems to be the more practical car of the two(fast charging, better boot space,4 doors) especially for families.
The Comet seems to be targeted for a niche group of consumers and should appeal to them with the features it is offering.
I expect it to do fewer sales numbers than the Tiago EV.
Old 27th April 2023, 00:18   #197
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

I can see a lot of criticism and comments on how it looks. But clearly it is not meant to be a family car. It is definitely not for us, who think that we will be judged by the car we drive.

MG is not hiding the fact that they are targeting college students and young professionals (read Gen Z) who may find it alright. Its has got cool gadgets, funky exterior, cool interior, green and clean moreover less running costs than a motorcycle.

I would have interested in it, if I was 10 years younger, now I am too old for it.

Last edited by rapid_fire : 27th April 2023 at 00:19. Reason: Punctuation
rapid_fire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 00:27   #198
BHPian

I really wish this is a massive success especially among the youth. This car will have a lot riding on its marketing and PR. They can make or break the market for this car.
The Nano also tried to target the youth at a later stage but it was a bit too little and a lot very late. The damage was done and no amount of marketing efforts could reverse the damage.
MG has a good opportunity to make this car a success and pave way for more micro cars to enter the Indian Market.
Let's just accept that most of us are not the intended TG and move on.
Maverick1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 00:44   #199

I for one am seriously considering this car. It's radical, inspired by the Smart of Mercedes which is a 2 seater runabout for the city. It will also be interesting to compare the features of the model launched with Tiago, I think a tiago this loaded might have a premium of around 4 lakhs. Yes it's smaller but then cheaper by 4 lakhs, mostly I am travelling alone or maybe a co-passenger, plus anyone buying an electric car today isn't buying them as their only car. The added benefit would be buying a car which is going to be a head-turner, conversation starter wherever you go. The cost of running per km would be around 65 paise, which is borders onto 2-wheeler territory. I sure am going for a test drive & see if its practical enough to go for it.
AnandSancheti is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 00:48   #200
BHPian

I am interested to buy this. I think this would become the activa of 4 wheelers. But, what i don't get is how could the same car give 30 more kms from the indonesian model. Looks like indian power grid really packs the punch or MG would have tuned it differently for india. They have priced it a lot lower than in Indonesia though.

-Krishna
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-screenshot_20230427_003255_chrome.jpg  

kittigadu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 02:04   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
. A tiny car that looks like THAT will never sell in India. You want to compete with WagonR and Tiago and you look like an autorickshaw! It’s never gonna work. This product was always going to be dead on arrival.
I totally echo your thoughts. It's frustrating because the interiors look so good in comparison to the Tiago. I want to understand why couldn't they make this in a NORMAL car body like the Tiago or even smaller Alto?
RaiAnish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 03:20   #202
BHPian

This is a micro version of the living space ev idea, similar to say the Buzz. It's an excellent design in the sense that it doesn't compromise on practicality, even at the expense of aesthetics. I've always wanted 'this' car.

The problem?
India already has a vehicle with the same philosophy: the autorickshaw. There'll always be a resemblance if you take that path.

MG clearly knows that even the 2nd car market won't fulfill their targets. So they're going after the rich college kids. I mean, we have enough rich boomers (affectionately) on this forum. Would you buy your zoomer kids this thing? Or would you rather have them dropped off by a driver? This should be a poll.
I don't think anyone is gonna beg for this like for their first motorcycle, regardless of gender. So this is still going to be a parental decision.

I think that Comet would be safer than most Hyundai Kias and Maruti Suzukis, but sometimes even safety ends up being just a perspective, that is bigger is always safer.

Things could have been different if they did something, at least a little bit of thing with that rear end. It looks just too cheap to Indians.

Last edited by Formula1 : 27th April 2023 at 03:21.
Formula1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 06:32   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I am pretty sure that if I suggest this car to my wife, I’ll have to sleep on the sofa for the foreseeable future.
I guess All those "Thanks" are from previous such experiences.

Jokes apart, its really not such a bad option. There were (are) a lot of people who liked the Reva/E2O. This one is a bit better than that car surely, and its compact dimensions are definitely attractive. Its like buying an Ather 450X for 2 adults to be seated comfortably, and then some.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 27th April 2023 at 06:35.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 06:40   #204
BHPian

The pricing is right for the tech, safety and interiors it offers. The screens are better than some of cars in 25L+ segment.

It is wrong to compare it with Nano, cheapest failed car of India (both as per marketing and as an actual product!)

SAIC has seen success with this form factor in China since 2019. Their E series even went on to become top selling car in EV segment. Further, this form factor is picking up sales in congested cities like London where parking is a big issue.

MG seems to be targetting two customer groups - (1) Young gen. looking for cheap yet funky car with all the tech of 2-3 segments above cars (2) Office goers in congested cities like Bengaluru and Mumbai. This will sell the most in BLR!

They could have gone for Jimmy like design they are introducing as Baojun Yep in China. This Yep form factor is more traditional and many here would have been able to convince their spouse.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-yuptheyep11068x801.jpg  

manpreetsj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 06:51   #205
BHPian

My father has been driving a Nano for the past 11 years. He is almost 70 now and he was super excited to see the walk around videos of the Comet. For him the things that he dislikes about the Nano are lack of refinement, lack of any comfort features and lack of power from the engine, all of which are solved in the Comet. I am seriously considering buying this for him in the near future when Nano is to be replaced.
Night Raven is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 07:14   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1 View Post
The problem?
India already has a vehicle with the same philosophy: the autorickshaw. There'll always be a resemblance if you take that path.

MG clearly knows that even the 2nd car market won't fulfill their targets. So they're going after the rich college kids.
I am willing to bet that rich kids are never going to touch this. You don’t want to be seen arriving in this weird little thing when your friends are driving BMWs and Wranglers and Range Rovers and Mercs.

Honestly, my wife had this exact concern when I suggested her the Tiago EV. To her, it was a Tiago. End of story. The green number plate and EV credentials did not matter. She’d rather drive a Sonet than a Tiago for the same price (no subsidy in HR), and it’s a valid logic. It is only us enthusiasts who understand and appreciate the technology here. For the casual buyer, size, street cred and perception are very important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I guess All those "Thanks" are from previous such experiences.

Jokes apart, its really not such a bad option. There were (are) a lot of people who liked the Reva/E2O. This one is a bit better than that car surely, and its compact dimensions are definitely attractive. Its like buying an Ather 450X for 2 adults to be seated comfortably, and then some.
I don’t think there is going to be much overlap between fancy electric scooter buyers and 9L Rupee car/EV buyers. The E2O was a lot more conventional looking than this, especially from the back. It was a rare Mahindra of that time which is actually nicely styled. Comet’s ARAI range of 230 means 110-120 in the real world, which is about the same as E2O +.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manpreetsj View Post
It is wrong to compare it with Nano, cheapest failed car of India (both as per marketing and as an actual product!)

They could have gone for Jimmy like design they are introducing as Baojun Yep in China. This Yep form factor is more traditional and many here would have been able to convince their spouse.
The Nano connotations come only and only from the styling, the dimensions, the proportions and the tiny wheels. And that, in turn, reminds you of autorickshaws. Nano was still a relatively much cleaner and aesthetically pleasing design.

A more conventional design like the Yep would have led to better acceptance.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 27th April 2023 at 07:31.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 07:53   #207
BHPian

At this price and a micro shape, I suspect will be seen as an expensive Nano or the forgotten Reva. My guess is, at 5 lakh bracket could have replaced two wheelers as the errand car. May be taxes and global inflation has taken its toll on pricing.
Old 27th April 2023, 08:06   #208
BHPian

I had genuinely liked this 1 door car when I first saw the video 6 months ago.

But the Comet EV? Repulsion at first sight.

The micro car has to be better thought out than this. This design was alright 10-15 years back when you had constraints like the Nano had to contend with (like thinking about where the engine should go) placing screens cannot fix this issue.

How different is it to the E2O? What makes this desirable over the E2O? With 40 odd hp (barely more than a Nano) and no fast charging, this is anyways not going to the highway. Why not just use the quadricycle regulations and go wild with possibilities? Why did they have to make it a full service car with high strength steel and the full suite of safety features adding weight and cost if the intended usage was just to be an Urban commute? I bet Tata can make a Nano based Pixel EV with all the same features and creature comforts as the Comet EV for 25% less and still turn a profit. They aren't doing it since there is no market demand. Maybe they should and show the world how it's actually done.

Who again is the target customer, the gen Z is it? I understand that Gen Z don't have kids yet, but they do have friends (I really hope they do). I wouldn't want to be seen dead in one of these. I could maybe consider the Microlino because it's just too cute and is literally the easiest car in the world to park with the door opening towards the sidewalk, but this? Hard pass from me.

India is too crowded with too little parking for cars like these to be running around. As I write this I found this oxymoronic so scratch this one but the initial thought was that it it isn't making a car smaller, it's making a scooter bigger. I live in the 2nd most congested city in the country, and I find very little value in having this over the current crop of cars.

Anyways, enough ranting. Clearly I do not understand the value proposition of this car and am not the intended audience so I will refrain from any further comments. The reason this post exists was to reiterate that this was not the most efficient way solve the micro EV problem. I just showed 2. One that is cheaper and the other that just solves the problem better.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 08:10   #209
BHPian

To me, at first glance they've done a Japanese kei car appearance and size. It is quirky and it would definitely find home in people's garages as their second or third car.

Waiting for the tbhp review!

Last edited by lemedico : 27th April 2023 at 08:11.
lemedico is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2023, 08:33   #210
BHPian

I would consider this a perfect first car for many families. Let me take my example. We currently have a hatchback, which I bought a few months before marriage. In the 10 years of ownership, the car has crossed 1.25 lakh kilometers, with 90% of that within the city. In most cases, one or two seats have been used.

If I were in the market to replace my car, I would buy a small electric car with features for office commute and buy a bigger used car to keep as a second car for times when we need more than 2 seats. Cars like the Comet allow you the luxury of having two cars for the price of one. Even if the maintenance cost might be slightly higher than having one car, the total cost of ownership would still be much less than having one large petrol car.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks