Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2023, 11:46   #106
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post

Price announcement on 26th May - Link
What is this trend of launch without price? It is not sending the signal that we are still clueless and need more time to figure out the pricing? Or worse the pricing is so bad, we don't want it to spoil the launch?

Is there no push back on this from media or public?

The good thing about the Tiago EV launch was the price announcement at the end.

Last edited by wocanak : 20th April 2023 at 11:47.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:43   #107
SRM
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

After all these years, they still want to include "Internet Inside" badge!

But a cute car and if priced competitively, could well be the city commute car and the most likely 2nd car of the households.
Old 20th April 2023, 12:54   #108
BHPian

Market demand aside, we must really appreciate MG for launching such a vehicle in the market. sure, the pricing could be a hard pill to swallow because of how our system is but our consumers deserve good choice in the market.

Personally, i would buy this very well as my commute will be mostly in the city on the weekend to a mall or friends' houses and would hire a taxi for long distance travels. but pricing is a very important factor here. anything more than 6 or 7 lacs is a no no.
flashgo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 12:56   #109
BHPian

If Nano had a kid with rickshaw (manual pedal one not even electric) this is what their offspring will look like.
I really do hope that brings back Nano with a revamped rear or if someone can just copy Fiat500 in India itl be just perfect.
Old 20th April 2023, 13:00   #110
Senior - BHPian

What I find very interesting is the massive success of it's brother in China - the Wuling Hongguang Mini EV. It is the vehicle which dethroned the Nissan Sylphy from it's perch of being China's bestselling car, after many years. In China, this sells around 350,000-400,000 per year. It is interesting because not only is China a very competitive market for EVs (atleast 250 models sell more than 1,000 per month), it is also a market where the average price of cars sold is much higher than India. In China, the BMW 5-series often enters the top-10 best selling vehicles list - for example.

The top 10 best selling cars in China consist almost entirely of vehicles that cost above Rs 15 lakh. BYD Song, Toyota Camry, Changan CS75, Volkswagen Sagitar (Passat), Haval H6, Tesla Model Y etc. Except this tiny Hongguang. Thanks to the success of Wuling, a number of other "Mini EVs" have entered the market and are all doing well. This is a country where auto-penetration is 10 times that of India and with no dearth of roads, roadspace, parking space.

We all can say with a lot of surety this will be a tough sell in India. But it could surprises us.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that this will do 1,000+ units per month as long as it is not priced outrageously expensive.
avishar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 13:58   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
What is this trend of launch without price? It is not sending the signal that we are still clueless and need more time to figure out the pricing? Or worse the pricing is so bad, we don't want it to spoil the launch?

Is there no push back on this from media or public?

The good thing about the Tiago EV launch was the price announcement at the end.
This is absolutely idiotic. Why should one wait for 1 month to know price. It should have been declared max after the embargo period.

Moreover so many cost cuttings compared to Air EV, I am sure it will not sell much if they price it even a little bit premium.
Old 20th April 2023, 14:11   #112
BHPian

I am sure that MG will surprise us all with a starting price of Rs 6 lakh OTR. For that price, there will be a decent number of takers for the car.
Silver Knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 15:07   #113
BHPian

What an absolutely brilliant concept (tiny sub 3-metre city car), let down by appalling looks and design.

I'm sorry to anyone who disagrees, but this thing is IMO U-G-L-Y. Having only 2-doors, the practicality aspect is compromised as well.

Price wise, I expect it to compete against the Tata Tiago. But for the life of me, I cannot imagine anyone choosing this over the much better looking 4-door Tata EV.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 18:23   #114
Senior - BHPian

MG Comet EV media drives begin.

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230420_182154.jpg

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230420_182203.jpg

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230420_182206.jpg

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230420_182222.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 18:29   #115
BHPian

While it is great to see companies bringing in their niche and successful products in India (to much delight of customers), it is not very clear if Comet EV can really ring the hearts of we Indians.
I feel the customer in this segment will be very image and cost conscious and not very much environmentally conscious (I might be completely wrong though). Selling a 2 door hatch has its own issues, how much ever practical it feels on the brochure.

Happy to be proven wrong and will love to see more of these on the road, but I will keep my fingers crossed. I feel it will serve more of a marketing game for MG rather than financial game.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:15   #116
Senior - BHPian

Comet EV getting Charged up.

Quote:
There are 40 of these in one parking lot!
MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230420_191412.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:18   #117
BHPian

Quote:
MG Comet EV media drives begin.
That manual parling brake is ugly.
No electric parking brake. The feature list is surely going from disappointing to irritating.

MG is really confused. On one side they want to introduce a lifestyle vehicle packed with 2 screens and on the other basic premium features like ACC and electric parking brake are missing.

Last edited by utkarshgoel : 20th April 2023 at 19:21.
utkarshgoel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:34   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Is it the camera angle or it looks really cramped... I don't remember sitting legs squeezed together like this in any small car i can think of...
EV Fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:36   #119
BHPian

It will be interesting to see how this one fares. This is not for me. I would never buy it- though on paper, this would be a perfect fit for my "pottering around in Bangalore" needs. ....and therein, I think, lies the problem.

Many companies provide 15 amp points for EV charging. A few e2o used to be the only ones using it, but last week, I saw a Tiago. Some companies have already started providing basic fast(er) charging points as well. So with increasing proliferation of charging infrastructure, I hope this does well.
Contrapunto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2023, 19:53   #120
Senior - BHPian

This is what Nano EV should have been. Pricing will be key here.

Quote:

(Last Image) The seating, from this photo, looks super uncomfortable. Hope the driver was just adjusting his seating position.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks