Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 15:47   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

MG’s entry level EV for India uncovered.

The radical two-door vehicle aimed at millennials is likely to make its debut at the Auto Expo in January 2023.

MG to tweak Air EV for India

Quote:
the E230 will be modified and adapted for Indian conditions. In particular, the air con and battery thermal management system will be beefed up. Also, the Air EV will wear an MG badge and receive a new name for India.
Name:  20220608030353_MG_EV_ACI_EXCLUSIVE.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  61.4 KB

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-mgacp2.jpg

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-mgacp1.jpg

Quote:
Likely to be priced from Rs 10 lakh
To be packed with latest on-board tech
Expected to go on sale mid-2023
Quote:
the India-bound MG EV will have a 2,010mm wheelbase and will only stretch the tape to around 2.9 metres in length, making the EV about 400mm shorter than the Maruti Alto. MG India sees this small footprint as a virtue, especially in crowded cities where it is difficult to manoeuvre and park. The car will have a battery pack capacity of around 20kWh to 25kWh, which should offer a real world driving range of 150km. Power output would stand at 40hp.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th June 2022 at 15:51.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 15:54   #17
BHPian

re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

A Wagon R EV would be far better than this ?
In India, you always want to go out with family comfortably and 2 doors will not work.
PreludeSH is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2022, 12:53   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

New MG compact EV spied in India.

To be positioned as a high-tech urban runabout; will be revealed at Auto Expo 2023.

This two door EV is likely be priced ~ INR 10 lakhs.

Name:  20220629120326_MG_EV_India.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  100.1 KB

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 29th June 2022 at 12:55.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 16:47   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

MG Comet EV trademark registered for India spec car.

Quote:
MG Comet EV name confirmed for their new India-spec electric vehicle
MG Comet EV trademark has been registered by MG Motor India. It is likely to be the electric car that is specifically being made for the Indian market. It is expected to be a small car. Whether it is going to be the production name of the MG Air City EV or a different car altogether, it will be confirmed at the upcoming 2023 Auto Expo next week.
MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-mgcometevtrademark.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 5th January 2023 at 16:48.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

MG India confirms its upcoming compact electric city car will be called Comet.

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230302_131451.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 2nd March 2023 at 13:18.
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 13:36   #21
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like Reva V 2.0. We all know that 2 door cars have never work in India. Even the Nano had 4 doors for ease of ingress/egress.
They should have got in a Baleno/Altroz/i20 size vehicle which would have good traction in the market.
Old 2nd March 2023, 15:59   #22
BANNED

Name reveal video from MG.

Last edited by ottocycle : 2nd March 2023 at 16:06.
ottocycle is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 20:02   #23
BHPian

If today, 2nd Gen Nano eV gets launched in India, it would be a super hit.
groom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 22:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by groom View Post
If today, 2nd Gen Nano eV gets launched in India, it would be a super hit.
I don't think it's going to happen, atleast under Nano monicker.
Tata sold the rights to Jayem motors and they infact delivered quite many Nano EV's rechristened as Jayem Neo isn't it?

Old 3rd March 2023, 11:31   #25
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Looks like Reva V 2.0. We all know that 2 door cars have never work in India. Even the Nano had 4 doors for ease of ingress/egress.
They should have got in a Baleno/Altroz/i20 size vehicle which would have good traction in the market.
You may possibly be correct, but after seeing the success of the Mahindra Thar 2-door, I think India's mindset may have changed on that factor.

For me personally, I drive a distance of about 15-20 km daily by myself from office to back. There are times I occasionally ferry friends and family members if going out at night, but that's not very often. I have my Corolla Altis if I need to seat 4-5 in comfort.

A tiny car that can easily fit through gaps in traffic, and can be parked with ease (essentially Nano-sized or smaller even) would be ideal.

The MG Comet would have to be the second car in my garage, but it would be absolutely perfect for my needs.
kadanaJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 11:37   #26
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
You may possibly be correct, but after seeing the success of the Mahindra Thar 2-door, I think India's mindset may have changed on that factor.

For me personally, I drive a distance of about 15-20 km daily by myself from office to back. There are times I occasionally ferry friends and family members if going out at night, but that's not very often. I have my Corolla Altis if I need to seat 4-5 in comfort.

A tiny car that can easily fit through gaps in traffic, and can be parked with ease (essentially Nano-sized or smaller even) would be ideal.

The MG Comet would have to be the second car in my garage, but it would be absolutely perfect for my needs.
The reason for Thar 2-door sales is that its almost always the 2nd car in the garage. Even for many who bought the Reva, it was a second car. This can be a second car for someone.

But the bulk of the car buyers are first time buyers or single car owners. For them, this will not work.
m8002? is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 13:44   #27
BHPian

Would a first time car buyer buy an 20/25KWh EV as their primary vehicle with an ex-showroom cost upwards of 10L? I don't think so and that is not the market this car is chasing. I can imagine many folks are eagerly awaiting this as a potential 2nd car to potter around in a congested city. 2 door is not a deal killer for such a use case.
Hells Bells is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 14:36   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
The reason for Thar 2-door sales is that its almost always the 2nd car in the garage. Even for many who bought the Reva, it was a second car. This can be a second car for someone.

But the bulk of the car buyers are first time buyers or single car owners. For them, this will not work.
With the infrastructure (or lack of) for EVs currently in India, an EV as a primary car does not make sense.

I know people have done road trips with their EVs, but it seems like an extreme hassle. I would dread such a trip. Constant range anxiety plus never knowing which charging points are working. On top of that, locating a fast charger would be required to make the trip feasible (which is still slower than filling petrol, and requires a wait time of about an hour).

To anyone thinking about having an EV as an only car, I say "do not". An EV only makes sense if one has dedicated home parking with a plug point, and zero requirements for outstation trips.

With those above restrictions in mind, I am assuming an EV buyer today would already have another car in the garage.

Giving myself as a personal example again, I have dedicated home parking and installing a plug point if required would be a simple matter. Yet, if restricted to only one car, that one car would be a hybrid / diesel. Even weekend trips to Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, etc, would require too much planning with an EV.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:13   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
With those above restrictions in mind, I am assuming an EV buyer today would already have another car in the garage.
I concur, and I don't think this market segment is that small. Of course, it is not as big as the first car market but I believe there will be considerable interest for an EV that can do city commute but does not feel like a tin-on-wheels.

Most Nexon EV owners brought the car because it is the only decent entry level EV currently in market.

Personally, I am looking forward to trying out the MG Comet, but I do want some extra bells and whistles in it. If MG can throw in some of their usual stuff like large screens etc. I would totally go for it as my city runner.
astrodex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 16:21   #30
BHPian

Is it just me or is this vehicle one of the most hideous looking cars that might ply on the Indian roads?
I understand the need to have a vertical upright design to give the semblance of space inside and not let people feel claustrophobic but when the limit of length is more than a metre above the current length of the vehicle, the breadbox nature of the design is surprising. A straight up pluck and plonk of some "phoren" car into India.

A year down the line, when the model fails to get enough production orders, there will be threads on this forum and also discussions by the brand itself on why the model failed, perhaps the Indian audience is not ready for such "futuristic" cars.

The fact remains that for about 90% of the people, how the vehicle looks does have some bearing on their buying decision. And this car has highly polarizing looks, even those who might like it, have to accept that.
kosjam is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks