Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2023, 12:41   #151
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

My wife drives a Polo GT. She has decided her next car will be a small EV hatchback. She has recently seen Tiago.ev on the TV during IPL matches, and liked it immediately. When I told her that MG has launched a small car at 8L, she immediately said it would be a micro car like nano. When showed her the pictures, she immediately said “No thanks! I think I will prefer Tiago.” and ended the conversation.
Comrade is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 12:43   #152
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

Nice, I think this would become that kind of car which everyone wants that his/her friends buy but they will not buy it for themselves!! (e.g., Punto!)
Sach_511 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 12:47   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
My wife drives a Polo GT. She has decided her next car will be a small EV hatchback. She has recently seen Tiago.ev on the TV during IPL matches, and liked it immediately. When I told her that MG has launched a small car at 8L, she immediately said it would be a micro car like nano. When showed her the pictures, she immediately said “No thanks! I think I will prefer Tiago.” and ended the conversation.
I am pretty sure that if I suggest this car to my wife, I’ll have to sleep on the sofa for the foreseeable future.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 12:48   #154
BHPian

I think the comparisons with the Nano may be unwarranted. When the Nano was launched, it did sell, but many Tata-esque QC issues existed. There were reports of smoke and fire, the car would not start, electrical issues etc. Had a Suzuki kei car been launched at the same price point, with typical Suzuki reliability, it could have been a whole different story. Tata was new at making cars then, and they made many mistakes.

MG is different in that they've found success selling reliable, upmarket SUVs that people seem to love, creating an upscale, positive brand image. An MG badge on a small car can still liven it up, lend it a bit of luxury. The other difference is that unlike the Nano, the Comet does not have much competition. The Nano competed with the Maruti 800 and Alto, and the latter still outsells most other cars in the market. The EV market in India is tiny right now, with fewer than 10,000 EV cars sold every month. Plenty of people may want a cheap, low running cost EV that's not the Tiago (for whatever reason), and the only option they'll have is the Comet. The fact that monthly running of 1000km would only cost Rs. 500 (idk if it's true but pretty crazy if it is) would draw many people in.

The last thing is that in the past 10 or so years, the Indian consumer may have changed a bit. There are more yuppies who live in urban areas than before, and many of them feel no attraction to cars. They just need one because it's hard to get around without one. To them the small footprint, the negligible running cost, the cute vibe might really appeal. I may be totally wrong about this, but I sure would love to see most cars in our cities get replaced by cute, tiny EVs that don't contribute to the air or noise pollution and take up less space in little streets and gullies.
karanddd is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 12:50   #155
BHPian

I think the pricing is fine for this vehicle.

Tiago ev however feels more finished product than Comet ev. But comet having advantage of easy maneuverability than any other vehicles. This is good for new drivers especially for city runabout.
I would say practically it's a good choice as a second car. Interior overall looks really cool!!
Old 26th April 2023, 13:14   #156
BHPian

Perfect car for city errands and college/school drops. Easy to live with.

This should fly off the shelves if priced right.
TorqMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:32   #157
BHPian

The car is rear wheel drive!!!! I would buy it for that reason only!
rascalangel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:37   #158
BHPian

Been looking out for a small ev for city / office commutes for quite sometime.
Definitely dropping by the MG showroom to have a look at this! I feel MG has priced this 1-1.5L more than what it's worth. Will be very interesting to see how the market reacts to it
Old 26th April 2023, 13:42   #159
Senior - BHPian

Competitive pricing. All the more achieved, I guess, because of localisation of the battery pack by Tata Autocomp. For any EV the battery pack consumes the lion's share of cost.

This will work. It will not sell in millions, but definitely be in the consideration set of those who are early adopters, needs a funky city runabout with pretty neat interiors and a decent range.

Let's see. Let time be the witness to the Comet's retail performance.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:54   #160
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_v3 View Post
IMO, no fast charging option at all will cause exponential range anxiety even for usage within the city. Will take a bit of courage to invest in this. Will take 5 hrs from 0-80%.
You are going to travel 150+ km in city?
DarthVeda is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 13:55   #161
BANNED

As a person suffering from slip disc, cars like Comet really help in short distance travel since 2 wheelers are not recommended, but the price is high for a vehicle it's size. Looks like I have to search for a pre owned Nano.
Piyush Kanthak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:04   #162
BHPian

I have a question for everyone, would you rather buy this (Comet EV) or the Kwid EV at the same price? Assume the Kwid EV has the same range and price at the Comet EV and the same feature set as the ICE Kwid.
sf71hvettel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:17   #163
BHPian

The pricing seems to be very much reasonable considering the package it offers. An electric car which is offering reverse parking camera, 3 point seat-belts, ISOFIX child mounts, Wireless Android Auto/Apple carplay, TPMS cannot be priced lesser is what I feel.

The car's compact dimensions are a boon for the city usage. I can imagine that the car is going to be like driving an auto cutting through tight corners with ease(4.2m turning radius!). But, at 8L, a strict 4-seater with practically no boot(on 4 passengers) puts this car in a spot where many would tilt towards not worth the risk.

Regarding comparisons with Nano, I would say things have changed a lot from Nano days. Getting a second car was pretty rare then which is not the case today. In my apartment, folks who didn't opt for second parking at the time of purchase are looking for rental options now. City traffic and parking woes have worsened big time in big cities. So, this is where I feel this car will fit. A safer option for folks who use two wheelers for city usage. So, with the pricing and the limited seating option, in my opinion, the car is definitely not going to be a big success, but it won't be a flop as well. It will fit a niche segment and will do decent numbers is what I feel.
skarthiksr is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:38   #164
BHPian

I think most of the folks here are evaluating this from a second / third vehicle perspective.

I don't think that's the target segment as far as MG is concerned. Have a look at the language used in the brochure.

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-screenshot-20230426-2.20.46-pm.png

The usage of terms like 'fam, flex, legit, vibe-check, slaps';

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-screenshot-20230426-2.22.30-pm.png

Further lingo - 'Slay, FTW', the age group / outfits of the models, the 'colour packs' being provided, are all dead giveaways.

I mean some of this may be trying too hard but I doubt anyone older than millennials has heard of some of these terms, let alone use them or relate to them.

MG wants to target a demographic that may find the Tiago EV too boring. If they manage to attract the office goers as well, that may be an added bonus.

It's an entirely different matter whether they'll succeed.
Coyote is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th April 2023, 14:47   #165
BHPian

Those steering controls immediately reminded me of ipod controls!

Attachment 2443604
TallBoy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks