Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 07:43   #61
BANNED

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

If that ugly car from our hostile neighbors can work, what is stopping TATA to make a electric version of the NANO.
The body tooling etc must till be there.
norhog is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 09:17   #62
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

The micro car with a real world range of 200-250kms can cover a 5 day Noida - Gurgaon run easily with office & home slow charging.

Price with safety features is the key. Hope MG surprises us and then delivers the cars quickly instead of boasting of 12,24 36 months waiting period.
Old 12th April 2023, 14:47   #63
Senior - BHPian

Latest teaser of the Comet EV shows the twin-screen layout that houses two 10.25-inch screens.

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230412_144712.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 16:18   #64
BHPian

Here is the video of teaser.
https://twitter.com/MGMotorIn/status...252527619?s=19
Old 12th April 2023, 21:20   #65

Re: Camouflaged XUV700 and Thar 5 Door spied testing at Mahindra World City, Chennai

Hi, couldn’t find an appropriate thread so posting it here, i have some unconfirmed news of MG launching affordable EV in April.
I have some pictures from reliable source that would like to share with other enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-e971be33ec794d62a7255d735f4a3a33.jpeg  

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-350206b997ce4caabd0efadaa3ca37ac.jpeg  

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-be33a138486b4ff99c1a595dbb6e77bc.jpeg  

Aagi_88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 10:50   #66
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 14th April 2023 at 08:50.
clementw is offline   Received Infraction
Old 13th April 2023, 10:58   #67
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
If its priced right around 4-5 lakhs will be a killer product.
No chance of that happening! It costs 13lak in Indonesia (Wuling Air) and similar price elswhere. It will probably be priced at 8-10lak (ex-showroom) for base model here
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 11:19   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Latest teaser of the Comet EV shows the twin-screen layout that houses two 10.25-inch screens.

Attachment 2439276

Link
I would not call it a sneak peak as it is just rebadging of Wuling Air from Indonesia.
Dhillon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 13:18   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by clementw View Post
If its priced right around 4-5 lakhs will be a killer product.
With all due respect,
2 to 3 iPhone Pros will cost this much. Spare a thought for EV manufactures costing a bit.
Riderulz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 14:56   #70
Senior - BHPian

MG India starts production of the Comet EV, with the first unit rolled out from its Halol plant in Gujarat.

MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-20230413_145532.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th April 2023 at 14:58.
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 19:00   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
Well I am not sure if enough market study and product fitment is done for launching this car. This is taking us back to the Reva E2O era - two door car, 100 kms drivable range etc. For a small family of 2+1 kid, this car will not be a good choice.
It cannot be compared with Reva because of the timing of launch. There are many factors that differentiate the present EVs with Reva viz., power, features, availability of charging stations etc. There are many buyers who search for a office-commute car and these small EVS fit there exactly. Do you think that buyers of Tiago EVs bought it because its 4/5 seat configuration? More over, today, buyers think about an EV more than just car: may be as a social status or as a connected device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsreecharan View Post
A high quality micro car I am sure will sell well. A lot of people are now Environment conscious and pained by commuting in city. This can surely be a second car for zip zap zoom like driving on the city roads especially for one person travelling in a large car that is struggling to fit in already busy roads.
Well said! Many consider it as the replacement for their two wheeler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsreecharan View Post
Our own Nano would have been too, had it not been positioned as the "Cheapest" car and had it come with high quality interiors and engine of today's TATA Cars.
I think, its engine noise made many people to compare it to auto rickshaw than a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
I am not sure Indian auto market is advanced enough to adapt to micro cars, where the trend is mostly SUVs and crossovers. Also with more and more people looking for safer cars, I am not sure how this car will fare in crash tests.
Even in mature markets like EU, the micro cars only have a very small fraction of sales, esp. in bigger cities where parking is a premium.
Will wait and watch how this story evolves.
The market will answer this. However, I think, micro-cars are the best for Indian traffic conditions. Also, it is not correct to draw parallelism to the European market. Further, who really bothers crash tests for a city car?
On4Wheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 21:48   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

There are enough lessons to learn from history when it comes to small cars. Avoid nano, reva, s presso, eon theme. Go with kwid, classic zen.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 22:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
MG India starts production of the Comet EV
Its correct name is Wuling Air EV.

Its a Chinese product masquerading under Morris Garage.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuling_Air_EV
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2023, 19:27   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Training is underway, car will be launched on 19th April.
Old 17th April 2023, 13:05   #75
BHPian

My primary interest lies in the battery pack and battery management system. Upon researching the Wuling Air, it seems to utilize a lithium iron phosphate battery pack. More details can be found at this link: https://wuling.id/en/blog/press-rele...ndurance-tests. I hope the battery pack features liquid cooling, but I haven't been able to find any information confirming that.

LiFePO4 batteries have a reputation for being more thermally stable and having better thermal management compared to other lithium-ion chemistries. They have a lower risk of thermal runaway and can generally tolerate higher temperatures. However, this doesn't mean they are immune to the effects of heat.

High temperatures can still cause accelerated aging, capacity loss, and reduced performance in LiFePO4 batteries. As a result, it is crucial to ensure proper thermal management for the battery pack. Air cooling can help to some extent, but its effectiveness in a tropical climate may be limited. Passive air-cooling systems may not be sufficient to keep the battery temperature within the optimal range, especially during high-load operations or fast charging.

In tropical climates, a more effective thermal management solution might be liquid cooling, which offers superior heat dissipation capabilities. Liquid-cooled battery packs use a coolant that circulates around the battery cells, absorbing and transferring heat away from the cells. This method can maintain the battery temperature within a safe and optimal range, improving performance and prolonging the battery's life.

My other areas of interest is the battery management system. The battery management system (BMS) in an electric vehicle (EV) is critical to its success for several reasons like ensuring optimal performance, prolonging battery life, safety, thermal management, state of charge estimation, balancing cells, diagnostic and prognostic capabilities.

I sold my E2O+ as it was unreliable and the BMS wasn't smart enough. I am hoping the MG Comet is more modern and addresses these areas of concern.
ohaak is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks