Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2023, 11:42   #31
BHPian

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
Would a first time car buyer buy an 20/25KWh EV as their primary vehicle with an ex-showroom cost upwards of 10L? I don't think so and that is not the market this car is chasing. I can imagine many folks are eagerly awaiting this as a potential 2nd car to potter around in a congested city. 2 door is not a deal killer for such a use case.
Upward of 10L, there is Tiago EV and Citroën eC3 with four doors. The Tiago EV will be as good in congested city. So which market is this car for? Forget Tiago EV volumes, I doubt if this will even sell as much as the eC3, which is expected to sell well below Tiago EV volumes.

I think success of 3 door Thar in an entirely different segment doesn't say anything about market acceptance of 2/3 door small city cars. The 3-door Gypsy was also doing well when many of the 2/3 door small cars were failing.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 12:04   #32

Re: MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV

Considering it as a second car, the speculated prices are on a higher side, I think. 10 -11 lakhs OTR will be a good price for such a car in my opinion if it spec and feature list is good enough for a tiny premium car.
Old 6th March 2023, 13:26   #33
BHPian

Comet sounds like the name of 150cc bike. And that is also fine, since there are worse name out there, but the car is just hideous.

If Mahindra can copy wrangler, why isn't Tata or MG copying Fiat 500 and launching it at a sub 15L price here?
Old 6th March 2023, 14:30   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
Upward of 10L, there is Tiago EV and Citroën eC3 with four doors. The Tiago EV will be as good in congested city. So which market is this car for? Forget Tiago EV volumes, I doubt if this will even sell as much as the eC3, which is expected to sell well below Tiago EV volumes.
This will be a niche car, which may not do big volumes. Target customers would be those who already have 2-3 cars premium/luxury cars and this will add a novelty to their garage . Remember what happened to Nano booking in the initial days?
Old 6th March 2023, 15:31   #35
BHPian

The name Comet, I have seen in old Ashok Leyland National Permit trucks. This Comet looks like a toy Chinese dabba and don't think it can sustain in our market with a 2-door option. The vehicle screams lighter builds and don't instill confidence even for a city commute, unless I am proven wrong. People looking for entry level EVs will still prefer 4-door options as the first car, and this can be your second or even third vehicle in the garage.

As many have iterated, with EV infrastructure yet to get matured, it doesn't really make sense for first time car buyers opting for this one and Comet can become a Reva and be seen only in the galaxies
Old 7th March 2023, 16:59   #36
BHPian

Hi, my brother owned Tata Nano and everyone who sat in Nano surprised with the space inside (except boot space). I think the biggest problem with Nano was autorickshaw kind noise from engine due to placement of engine at the rear. If Nano came with engine at front covered with proper bonnet like other cars, it my not face this kind of end.

Regarding MG Comet, I have seen few videos and found it brilliant. Interior is promising and will age well. Although majority of people like longer cars due to status associated with their cars, but compact, good looking & spacious cars like MG Comet will find good number of buyers, if priced well. MG Comet is silent to drive and have very good interior quality and if MG price it between ex-showroom price of 8.50 lacs for mid variant, 9.50 lacs for mid+ variant and 10.99 lacs for top end variant then I am sure young (under 35 years urban) male & female will attract to this.

The only problem I foresee is many of young urban generation lives in a high rise apartments where they may face charging issues. For rest of the people, it will be a perfect 2nd or 3rd car in the family, if priced sensibly.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 7th March 2023 at 17:15.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 12:43   #37
BANNED

Autocar just dropped the review of Comet
ottocycle is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 13:25   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Autocar just dropped the review of Comet https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=yZ75XnQpU2U
- Gets all LED lights, including a full length light bar both at the front and the rear.

- It is a microscopic 3-door car, with a length of 2974 mm, width of 1505 mm and height of 1637 mm. Wheelbase stands at 2010 mm. It rides on puny 145/70 R12 wheels. The kerb weight is 815 kilograms!

- Interiors are exceptional; the Comet gets dual 10.25 inch screens and auto AC. The quality of materials used is unbelievably good. However, it misses out on a glove box!

- Rear seat space is comparable to most hatches. It gets a good amount of headroom, decent kneeroom and average underthigh support. There is, however, no dedicated bootspace; you have to flip down the seats (50:50 split seats) to store your luggage.

- Gets features like dual 10.25 inch screens, drive modes, rear parking camera, electric parking brake, power folding mirrors, keyless entry and an electronic tailgate lock. Safety features include dual airbags, ABS, ESP, TPMS and hill start assist.

- The Comet is powered by a 17.3 kWh battery pack, which is claimed to deliver a range of 200-250 kilometres on a single charge. It produces 40.7 hp and 110 Nm of torque. Top speed is rated at ~100 km/h. It takes around 8.5 hours to charge the battery from 0-100% via an AC charger. No option of a DC charger here.

- Ride comfort is quite decent, however, large potholes will mess with the composure of the car. It is no corner carver. Quick lane changes or cornering will lead to body role. Acceleration is linear and you don't get the kick as you would in other EVs. Braking on the other hand is quite strong.

- The Comet is expected to be priced from around 8 to 12 lakh rupees, ex-showroom. This pricing puts it in the vicinity of the Tata Tiago EV and the Citroën eC3.

It seems like a competent product from MG. Really looking forward to the car

Last edited by CentreOfGravity : 13th March 2023 at 13:48.
CentreOfGravity is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 15:10   #39
BHPian

If it is priced reasonably ,I would love to own one. I was looking at Jayem Neo which was on sale on OLX. It was priced around 3.5 lakh but then had my doubts on the reliability so ditched the plan. The dimensions of Comet makes it perfect for our congested cities, even though it is more of a quadricycle, it does not scream I am an evolution of the humble auto rickshaw design wise like the Bajaj Qute.
Old 13th March 2023, 17:29   #40
BHPian

I am really looking forward to this MG Comet. I am searching for a replacement of my 11 year old Honda Brio and I feel it would be perfect for my wife and mom. Hope it gets an ok ground clearance for tackling potholes.
Old 13th March 2023, 18:41   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreOfGravity View Post
-
- It is a microscopic 3-door car, with a length of 2974 mm, width of 1505 mm and height of 1637 mm. Wheelbase stands at 2010 mm. It rides on puny 145/70 R12 wheels. The kerb weight is 815 kilograms!

-
6-7 lakh! That's the sweet spot based on what it offers!
kartikthum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 18:44   #42
BHPian

This is fantastically positioned segment city car with my wife ,father(old age) being the target audience who always have parking issues and are occasional weekend drivers.

In-fact for me if it is priced less than 10lakhs ,it will loose aspirational value and i would never buy it .I will prefer to buy it between 10 -12 lakhs with all the segment first features, good ride quality and larger battery pack. This car being already small and if priced low -it will end up being a nano /cheap car positioning.
vishal9999 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 18:52   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal9999 View Post
This is fantastically positioned segment city car with my wife ,father(old age) being the target audience who always have parking issues and are occasional weekend drivers.

In-fact for me if it is priced less than 10lakhs ,it will loose aspirational value and i would never buy it .I will prefer to buy it between 10 -12 lakhs with all the segment first features, good ride quality and larger battery pack. This car being already small and if priced low -it will end up being a nano /cheap car positioning.
Ditto my thoughts on this car. Its perfect for City ride and if priced at 10 lakhs with all the bells and whistles, I would love to have it. I want a small car but I dont want to have a cheap feeling car.
Old 13th March 2023, 19:28   #44
BHPian

Looks interesting and I don't mind new cars being launched even if they are going to fail, it still provides an option to some people.

But, I think this will be a sales dud owing to Tiago EV.

They need to make sure there messaging/marketing pitches it as premium and aspirational. What would have helped is, if they launched the convertible version in limited numbers (even direct imports would have worked) first. Made lots of hype with media drives in Goa, Pondicherry, maybe even Manali, Mussorrie wherever you can see imagine people enjoying with the winds in their hair.
Then they could have brought this in as a more practical alternative and would have hyped this for the buyers. Street-cred and VFM is what sells in India.
Attached Thumbnails
MG Motors to launch an EV at Rs 10 to 15 lakh by end of next fiscal. EDIT: Named Comet EV-wulingcabrio1.jpg  

Last edited by learning_cars : 13th March 2023 at 19:33.
learning_cars is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 21:15   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

If they do plan to sell it for 12 lacs, would be great if they give it the ADAS Level 2 features, specially the Traffic jam assist feature in Hector, that will do it's job perfectly for the intended usage of the car.

I am also tempted to get this for my wife and also for me while driving in the city, this is the perfect car.

On a side note Time is ripe for tata to revive Nano in EV guise, catchy colors, decent range and a decent price, with tag line "The Perfect City Car" and not the "Cheapest car you can buy" and see it sell well.
AtheK is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks