Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd October 2022, 21:17   #46
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Yes willl get the same ev specific low roling resistance Apollo tyres as in tigor ev. Tigor gets full led taillight though and one important change in the Tigor is the reverse light for tigor ev is also led compared to halogen one in the petrol tigor.
Does this pose higher skidding risks vs standard tyres?
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 22:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Does this pose higher skidding risks vs standard tyres?
For the power and limited top speed this tyre is more than sufficient. Ev specific tyres have stiffer sidewalls to reduce sidewall flex and thereby reduce rolling resistance.

I found the tyre performance to be adequate and the turn in response is better than petrol tigor due to lower centre of gravity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
I was going through your post on the Tigor thread just the other day and read about your experience with Trivandrum Motors. What is your opinion of Derik Motors and did you consider them during purchase evaluation?

I am thinking of booking Tiago EV but totally confused regarding which battery variant to choose - 19 or 24kwh? The claimed range for the 19kwh model is enough for city but worried about range drop as it gets older.
Trivandrum motors had ready stock so didn't think any further. Tata battery is LFP so don't expect any performance degradation over time. This has been discussed in depth in this forum itself. I personally have booked the 19.2 kWh tiago XT as it is sufficient for my needs and I don't need the longer range battery nor am i willing to spend extra 90k on a bigger batter pack for a city runabout.

Last edited by Aditya : 3rd October 2022 at 05:10. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:13   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- No Park mode meaning you have to be vigilant and engage the handbrake every time to get out. Always in the back of your mind as to whether you accidentally forgot to engage the parking brake. MUST convey this to any parking valet if you hand over the car to them, which I don't obviously as never trust valets

- Rollback on steep slopes, unless you are really quick with the accelerator or use the handbrake
Ok, so the hand brakes have to be adjusted perfectly for its the only anchor holding the vehicle in a spot.

Is the roll back similar to what an AMT/AGS (without hill hold) does at a stop and go situation on a steep climb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover
Range:

Have covered close to 600 kms now with the car. Now I have never driven in an eco friendly manner. My go fast mode ( With Ac set at 24 degree all the time, 10 times use of S mode and a 60 km run on the by pass plus rest in city), you can expect a range of 130 kms . Mind you this is the worst and the battery charge was 100 to 18 % before i plugged it again.

In sensible mode, with ac on and reasonably swift progress you can get 170 kms in the city ( 100 to 20% drop). Didn't go below 20 % much as car has to run 60 kms plus a day and don't want to be stranded
Ok, so with the 26kwh Tigor (on ~80% charge) the range is 130km if driven in fast ICE mode and on mileage ICE mode its 170kms. This is the bit I am concerned about. In the 19kwh Tiago will this drop to 100Km and 140km respectively in the above driving modes? Is 24kwh better option even for city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover
Don't know if its my case, but some folks just don't like them being overtaken ( especially in S mode where you blitz past them) by an EV. They honk and try aggressive overtakes to prove that their cars are obviously superior to my milk float !
Happens the other way too, after the launch of Nexon EV Max

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd October 2022 at 11:15.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:23   #49
BHPian

I know these are somewhat of stupid-sounding queries (and perhaps premature, going by the limited experience with EVs in general), but nonetheless:
1. How do EVs fare in terms of remap feasibility/ benefits? (quite simply, can Tiago MR become LR with a software update?)
2. (This is more of an item on the wishlist than query) Like we did with aging mobile phones, would we have a facilit of getting a portable battery pack for long-distance journeys? ("MR for city, LR for long trips) Perhaps as batteries get lighter/more energy dense

Last edited by Nikhil Beke : 3rd October 2022 at 11:45.
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:46   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Beke View Post
1. How do EVs fare in terms of remap feasibility/ benefits? (quite simply, can Tiago MR become LR with a software update?)
As mentioned by a Bhpian in a previous post, MR uses 400 cells while LR uses 500 cells. So unless remap can facilitate procreation (which is currently limited to living beings only) of additional 100 cells from 400 cells of MR, a remap cannot help turning MR into LR.
speed79 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 11:55   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed79 View Post
As mentioned by a Bhpian in a previous post, MR uses 400 cells while LR uses 500 cells. So unless remap can facilitate procreation (which is currently limited to living beings only) of additional 100 cells from 400 cells of MR, a remap cannot help turning MR into LR.
No: should have explained more. The first point was regarding the power/torque figures as there are a lot of concerns with LR having lesser highway capabilities (see the prior thread). Of course I understand that the range would drop- as happens with many(not all) ICEs post remap.
IMHO, answers to these would be helpful to people who are presently(wisely?) sitting on the fence believing much better EVs are around the corner by 2025, thus making the present day car hopelessly outdated. Happens with consumer electronics all too often, after all! Remember Nokia/Sony, 2yrs pre-iPhone launch?
Procreation might just be the next big idea: it's to far off on the horizon as yet. https://ec.europa.eu/research-and-in...power-bacteria
Nikhil Beke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:46   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Happens the other way too, after the launch of Nexon EV Max
Rollback is there on steep slopes,yes. So might need to use the handbrake if you don't trust your accelerator brake juggling skills.

MR or LR Tiago depends entirely on the individual's usage pattern. I have tigor ev and petrol cars as backup so won't be needing LR Tiago.

As for range, this is the current status in full ac and normal reasonably swift driving with s mode usage. (135 kms covered with 28% battery remaining).Please note the tyre pressure for this period was 30 in the front and 33 in the back. Got it pumped to recommend specs just now ( 33 front and instead of 38 ,i keep 37 rear). So that would have some effect also on range.

Also note the odo reading has climbed to 1350 kms in a month of usage. No worries about wasting money on petrol.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_20221003_123710.jpg  

Nanolover is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 12:54   #53

Okay, a noob question.
I stay in an apartment complex in BLR, where there is no provision for EV charging, and let's say that it is something that is not going to get done anytime soon.

I do have a public charging option in ~5-10KM vicinity. Does it make sense to go for an EV? Based on my usage (primarily city driving not exceeding 50 KM per day), does it make a compelling case? also, EV (hopefully Tiago/ Tigor) will be a city beater. I have another ICE car for highway runs.
sa_goel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:06   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_goel View Post
I do have a public charging option in ~5-10KM vicinity. Does it make sense to go for an EV?
Unfortunately, in your case I would say No. Even assuming the one nearby your house is a fast charger, you will still have to spend upwards of an hour for every charge. Constant fast charging will also impact battery life.
If that is a slow charger, you'd have to do an alternate means of transport to leave your car there overnight (assuming it's safe to do so).
If you're willing to spend that much time and effort charging, only then you should consider it. But I don't think anyone will be willing to do that much for the small amount of gains on riding pleasure and doing their bit for the environment. (assuming the cost benefit will not be there due to high cost of fast charging or taking alternate transport to the charger)
Jekyl87 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also note the odo reading has climbed to 1350 kms in a month of usage. No worries about wasting money on petrol.
1350kms needs ~ Rs12000/- worth of Petrol with zen mode driving in my current 1.2 petrol automatic city car which is 11 years old. If I replace it with a brand new 1.0 petrol AGS city car it would still need ~ Rs6000 worth of Petrol to cover the same distance. Thats why I have not changed to a new 1.0 petrol AGS. Electric would be free for there's already a solar plant on the roof. The pull towards electric is strong with the Tiago. Book or not to book? My situation is like a coconut on a wall
Old 3rd October 2022, 15:42   #56
BHPian

Superb effort by TATA motors!! EV's will be a lot more accessible to many who are aspiring to own one. Only sore point i could find in this otherwise superb package is the lack of proper headrest for the rear occupants. I wish TATA motors had given it the rear seat back of the Tigor which has usable rear head restraints inspite of being fixed type IMO.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2022, 19:11   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Okay, a noob question.
I stay in an apartment complex in BLR, where there is no provision for EV charging.
I Think its in your hand to install a charging point near your parking by connecting through your meter. That's how it has been done by many EV owners in my residential society in Pune. Our society per se do not have a problem in owner installing charging points at his expense if that does not intrude with society rules.

If charging infra is available near your home that's an additional blessing. You can ask your society members/chairmen regarding your wish to install your EV charging point, then you will get clarity.

On Tiago EV: The prices are irresistible and provide a great value proposition. This is a great case of becoming a beater car and for city roundabouts. I am seeing other manufacturer will also compelled to join the EV hatch bandwagon once they see the Tiago EV success. Tata had to make their QC/ASS/Customer Experience right in deciding the success of Tiago EV.

Last edited by UD17 : 3rd October 2022 at 19:12.
UD17 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 01:01   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so the hand brakes have to be adjusted perfectly for its the only anchor holding the vehicle in a spot.

Is the roll back similar to what an AMT/AGS (without hill hold) does at a stop and go situation on a steep climb?
Max has hill hold, so for the other Tata EVs without hill hold this is a little bit of a different way they behave

If you are climbing a hill, leave the accelerator and dont press the brake, the EV will continue creeping up. This is because the motor is engaged and keep the car moving upwards. A little bit of accelerator will allow you control the upward move too if you feel the car is not able to creep up is what I have seen. This I have experienced in regular Mumbai flyovers

As soon as you hit the leg brake or pull up the hand brake, the motor stops and unless u hit the accelerator again the car will roll back like in neutral

Just FYI to all that when you pull up the hand brake and car is still in D, the car disengages the motor, so it's as good as N. Once you pull the hand brake down (without touching the leg brake or accelerator) when car is in D, the car motor is still disengaged and will stand still or roll back or forward depending on road slope. You will need to tap the accelerator or hit the leg brake to again reengage the motor and car will start creeping

Cheers
sahakar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 03:30   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay, a noob question.
Not yet. Not having a charging facility at your apartment is the deal breaker. You will never have peace of mind leaving your car so many kilometres away and its going to be a great bother getting to the charger and back. Guess you will have to look for a 10 year old hatch as a beater if you really want a beater. A few years down the line, either technology improves or your apartment folks give in, then you can have the electric. Its the teething troubles time for electrics that we are all going through now I guess.
TheARUN is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2022, 05:41   #60
BHPian

So there's nothing like a *park* mode or a *parking* gear for EVs? So how does one safely park an EV on a steep incline (like San Francisco downtown's famous steep incline streets)?

The hand brake of any car is not strong at all, it's a well known fact.
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks