Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2022, 20:01   #166
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Assuming you charge it every week with a running of 100 kms, you will charge the vehicle only 384 times over a period of 8 years.
Practically then its purely for low mileage munchers.

In a city like Pune, including office commutes, weekend small trips excursions, relatives/friend visits you are almost 250-300 kms Sunday to Sunday

I was trying to check from a long term say 8 year, perspective, if an automatic petrol or electric is value for money and if the battery lasts the time and if more usage/charge cycles have any bearing on warranty

of course 100kms a week its a no brainer choice that EV is best.
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 20:57   #167
BHPian

Checked out the Tiago EV at Orion Mall, Bangalore today. We have booked one already and wanted to see the car at the earliest.

A few observations:
- Display car had a odometer reading of 54Kms
- Tiago EV LR XZ+ Tech Lux Variant in Signature Teal Blue Car was on display
- Thought Tata could have offered the 14 inch alloys on the top end variant. (They used to offer the same size alloys on the old Indigo, which didn't look too bad!) The hyper style wheels all though look acceptable not sure about long term durability, it does feel flimsy when you knock on it and feels like a fancy wheel cover.
- The interior space and finish feels like a segment above. It is adequate for 4 adults. The Leatherette Steering Wheel feels a delight to hold, it reminded me of the Tiago JTP.
- The Tata guys at the display arena were all very well informed and very polite. They had like 5 - 6 young guys maybe just out of college all holding iPads and responding to queries.
- The car was definitely grabbing a lot of eyeballs and seemed to be getting a lot of attention from passers by.

A few photos:

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8181.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8180.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8177.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8178.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8179.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8169.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8168.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8167.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8170.jpeg

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8173.jpeg
Mile10 is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th October 2022, 22:41   #168

Hey guys happy to announce that I received confirmation mail from TATA saying that I got the Tiago EV in the introductory price. I opted for Tiago XT EV MR (medium range).

As rightly pointed out by fellow BHPians, found that mail in the spam. Anyone waiting for your confirmatory mail may check the spam.
Aishven is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 02:58   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Just wondering, someone buying low range vehicle as primary car would obviously have to go through more charge discharge cycles whether fast or slow.

How would this affect the battery life?
I had the same thought. Since number of charge discharge cycles determine battery life, in theory cars with smaller battery packs would reach end of life sooner.

In reality, smaller battery pack EVs would be owned by people with estimated low running, so the frequency of charging (once a week etc) would be similar to people owning larger battery pack EVs. Thus things would balance out somewhat.
Sumedik is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:15   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumedik View Post
I had the same thought. Since number of charge discharge cycles determine battery life, in theory cars with smaller battery packs would reach end of life sooner.
I am cross-quoting from another thread, to answer your doubt.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5421653 (Tiago EV vs other Petrol AT hatchbacks)

1. For LFP batteries with efficient BMS and cooling systems, studies show that it takes atleast 3000 charge-discharge cycles for the capacity to degrade to 80% of its original capacity.

2. This means, if you charge the tiago.ev MR every night, it will take 8.2 years for battery degradation to be noticeable.

3. Needing to charge everyday would mean that you would drive atleast 100km daily. Doing that for 3000 days translates to 3 lakh km.

3 lakh km IMHO is a decent number. Most budget ICE hatchback chassis are not built to last that long or beyond that.

Worry about expensive battery replacement costs is simply paranoia for the unknown. As wocanak has mentioned in the above linked post, the battery probably would be the most valuable part of an EV when it is resold/eventually scrapped as the battery still has sufficient capacity to be reused for alternative applications e.g. grid power storage etc. I can easily forsee a higher scrap value for a 15yr run EV vs 15yr run ICE simply because the battery is worth much more than just scrap metal.
crazydevil is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:22   #171
BHPian

Does a strong self charging hybrid make more practical sense?

No range anxiety, great city mileage and much much lesser pollution.

For someone looking for a single car?
sagsaw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:24   #172
BHPian

Read somewhere that the Tata battery pack is designed for 3000 charge cycles. So even if you charge twice a week, it will take at least 30 years to reach that figure ! No need to sorry about any short term impact and anxieties.
Old 16th October 2022, 09:57   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagsaw View Post
Does a strong self charging hybrid make more practical sense?

No range anxiety, great city mileage and much much lesser pollution.

For someone looking for a single car?
I was in the same boat. Deciding between EV or a strong hybrid. What pushed me to book a tiago EV is mainly unavailability of a viable option in strong hybrid as of now. The only option in strong hybrid is the Grand vitara/hyryder which is not VFM in my opinion at the OTR price they're available at (govt. taxes in hybrids doesn't help). If you can wait a couple of years, it would be much easier to evaluate between the two as you may have more options in different price points for both technologies available.

On a side note, no mail (even the booking received one, let alone confirmation on introductory price) from Tata motors till now for a pre-booking made with the dealer on 28th september. I escalated on customer helpline yesterday, telling that I want to register a case of fraud against their dealer, which got the attention of the dealer's GM. The GM called me and told me he cannot do anything about the mails from Tata, but what he can do is send me a mail from the dealership ID saying they had punched in the booking on 10th along with the receipt for the 21k. I received the same and I guess that will have to do for now. Extremely bad booking experience. This is Autovikas at Wazirpur, New Delhi. Not sure if it's the dealer's fault or Tata Motors.
P. S. - I'm checking the spam folder also multiple times a day, but no luck yet
Jekyl87 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:03   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aishven View Post
Hey guys happy to announce that I received confirmation mail from TATA saying that I got the Tiago EV in the introductory price. I opted for Tiago XT EV MR (medium range).

As rightly pointed out by fellow BHPians, found that mail in the spam. Anyone waiting for your confirmatory mail may check the spam.
Thanks for the reminder, I forgot to keep looking in spam, found that I got the confirmation on Friday. But it is a generic mail, point to note, seems variant cannot be changed, only colour can be changed till 30th Nov.

Quote:
Dear <...>,

You have made a great choice in booking the Tata Tiago.ev and we thank you for choosing to go.ev.
We come bearing some great news for you and your family! We are pleased to inform you that your booking of Tiago.ev is confirmed at the introductory prices announced on 28th September 2022.
Further details regarding the delivery schedule of your Tiago.ev would be communicated to you in the coming days.

Key terms and conditions related to your booking:
1.Your Booking is confirmed and booking details including variant cannot be changed. You may however change the colour by 30th November 2022.
2.If you are an existing Tata EV owner or have been referred by a Tata EV Owner, then, the necessary valid details should be furnished in a timely manner to avoid forfeiting the introductory price offered.
3.Your booking is non-transferable.
4.Website terms and conditions applicable at the time of booking would apply in addition to the above terms and conditions.
5.If you desire to cancel the booking of your Tiago.ev, please contact the dealership chosen at the time of booking.
6.Please click here to go through complete list of terms & conditions related to your booking.

Thank you for booking the Tiago.ev !

Tata Passenger Electric Mobility Limited
wocanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 11:53   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile10 View Post
Checked out the Tiago EV at Orion Mall, Bangalore today. We have booked one already and wanted to see the car at the earliest.

A few observations:
-
-
- Thought Tata could have offered the 14 inch alloys on the top end variant. (They used to offer the same size alloys on the old Indigo, which didn't look too bad!) The hyper style wheels all though look acceptable not sure about long term durability, it does feel flimsy when you knock on it and feels like a fancy wheel cover.
-
-
Smaller wheel is supposedly better for the range (total wheel diameter being same). So not a bad choice for an EV. There have been discussions about this on Tesla and other EV forums, and infact if one configures their Tesla with larger wheel the EPA range displayed drops.

Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_8170.jpeg

These kind of alloying looking steel wheels are called structure wheels, you can read more about it here (Structure Wheels - Steelies that look like alloys!). On the plus side if the face is scratched a set of new wheel covers can refresh the looks!

Thanks for the pictures
Sankar is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:04   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Smaller wheel is supposedly better for the range (total wheel diameter being same). So not a bad choice for an EV. There have been discussions about this on Tesla and other EV forums, and infact if one configures their Tesla with larger wheel the EPA range displayed drops.
[
Elsewhere, I also read that alloy wheels are usually lighter than steel wheels, and they should add more range.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 12:15   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Elsewhere, I also read that alloy wheels are usually lighter than steel wheels, and they should add more range.
These structured steel wheels have less steel on them to begin with than traditional steel wheels. OEM mass market alloy wheels are not generally lighter than steel wheels they often weigh the same. The notion that alloys are lighter than steel started with magnesium-alloy alloy wheels and forged alloy wheels used in motorsports. They are completely different compared to mass market gravity die cast alloy wheels.
Sankar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 17:12   #178
bkc
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aishven View Post
Hey guys happy to announce that I received confirmation mail from TATA
Hey, may I know, at what time you got your first confirmation mail, about the booking?

I booked mine by 12:14pm, on launch day and got the confirmation mail. But, never got any mail about price guarantee. Anyone, who got mail or booked earlier, kindly update.

Attached screenshot below:
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago EV | A Close Look & Preview-img_20221016_170455.jpg  

bkc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 17:39   #179

sweet spot pricing at 10 lakhs. maybe a game changer. current ev sales average is 4k/ month. could help 2023 to 10k+/month. fully loaded small ev.
probably ensures the mg 2 seater is a non starter
Old 16th October 2022, 22:16   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Anyone, who got mail or booked earlier, kindly update.
It’s certain that you would have got introductory pricing. Check your spam folder. Email should have come at around 8.30pm on 14th October. Going to the spam folder for most.
tarunjain is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks