Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2023, 12:10   #91
BHPian

Re: Tata Tiago Electric Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
But what is true highway range? One person can get 250 the other can't get 200, there's too much variation on that since it depends on lot of factors:
1. Speed of vehicle
2. Additional weight on the vehicle
3. Road condition.
4. Elevation changes
5. Traffic (stopping and accelerating)
6. Environment conditions - Wind speed, rain
Of course, you are right! Which is why test design is so important. You need to set objectives clearly. My suggestion: EV highway (or city) range test objective in India should be that 75 percentile drivers can meet that range. Yes, it means 25% may still fail to meet this range, but just less than 75% will also exceed that range to varying degrees. I think that is a good target instead of trying to aim for an impractical 90-95 percentile. (Carmakers will ask for a lower threshold at 50 percentile or so.)

That means test conditions should reflect the most common real-life conditions. For highways, it could be:
  • Perhaps 2-3 people and 2 bags per car.
  • Since majority of the time weather is dry in India, we could do the tests in dry weather, dry road conditions.
  • Not much traffic stop/go is used in highway range (it is particularly important for city range).
  • Seasonal average wind speeds across India are also known.
  • Traffic police speed gun and number plate camera data can also provide things like average speeds.

My or your suggestions here could reflect our own bias. ARAI can easily do studies on actual national and state highways and tollbooths to reset test conditions rigorously to match 75% percentile expectation. Frankly, this is needed even for petrol/diesel cars as current ARAI method is completely unreliable. ARAI numbers are essentially fake, in terms of their total disconnect from reality.

Note that we are only talking about setting a realistic marketing claim. It does not stop individual vehicles from tuning their own range prediction further, e.g. using laden weight sensors + TPMS + driver driving pattern/ battery power pattern + navigation data to adjust for slope and real time traffic conditions. Possible to do with much higher precision for EVs than petrol/diesel vehicles.
guptad42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 08:25   #92
BHPian

Test drove the car at KHT Domlur even though we had booked at Kropex. The latter hasn't been responsive at all.

TD was brief but enough to get a feel for the car. Interiors look good for this segment. The regen level 3 helped me drive with one pedal on the inner ring road in Bangalore. And that's a good thing.

Didn't really need the S mode as I felt the normal mode for city was adequate.

Switched our booking to KHT who has promised delivery in 10-15 days for XZ+ LR variant.
teknicsand is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 08:57   #93
BHPian

Tded the Tiago EV yesterday.

Pros :
Nicely peppy drive on city roads
Quite spacious inside for such a small car
No rollback issue on slopes. My building multilevel parking has a fairly steep incline and there was no rollback even from standstill with three adults inside.
The car came to me with 75% charge showed range of 115, i drove fast but without useless agression. Ended with 73% charge with range of 120. So responsible driving should be able to eke out decent range of 180km range on city roads.
Steering is precise, no play or lag in response.

Cons

Rear bench has poor under thigh support and I am only 5'7". Taller folks will be uncomfortable.
The drive and regen graphic animation on the dash is very primitive. Doesn't feel modern like a ev should.

Neutral :
Suspension is firm without being harsh.
Dealer wants to invoice before Jan 31st, so market response maybe be lukewarm. Wondering if to wait a few months for some price correction like the Nexon.

Overall : should be competent city vehicle.

Last edited by srgntpepper : 25th January 2023 at 08:59. Reason: Added one point
srgntpepper is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:25   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
Switched our booking to KHT who has promised delivery in 10-15 days for XZ+ LR variant.
One dealer told me that booking can't be switched. Did you transfer same booking to KHT, or made a new booking at KHT? If you made new booking, would you be eligible for introductory pricing?
maverick.vkv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 15:59   #95
BHPian

would like to add a few points on the test drive:

-I felt the rollback was not much on a slope, much lesser in D mode and completely absent with the use of a handbrake. 2 people were seated in the backseat , approx 200 kg.

-It was fun to drive, though not as much as the nexon in sports mode but should do the job for a city car.

-tropical mist colour looks better when viewed in person than in pics

-AC was quite powerful

-I liked the ride quality over bumpy roads and also its driveability through narrow roads.

-The issue I discussed in the other tigor breakdown thread: That of the vehicle gaining speed in the N mode (absence of the P mode is felt here). I was unable to change from N to D mode while the vehicle was in motion as there was a bit of a slope. If there was a p mode, the vehicle was have remained stationary on a slope too. In my xl6 automatic, I don't face an issue moving from N to D even if the vehicle is slightly moving due to a slope.
oli.ferns is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 15:50   #96

Did a TD and was really impressed with the car, although it was not a big ask to impress me since I have been driving Hyundai EON 0.8 L for past 11 years

Went ahead and booked the XZ+ LR version in Tropical Mist.

However since the car does not have a spare tyre, came across below article which mentions "once you’ve used the tyre repair kit, the tyre can’t be reused or repaired"

https://soyacincau.com/2023/01/25/ki...sealant-price/

Is this applicable for the stock tyres on Tiago EV, anyone has any idea?.
If so, it definitely makes sense to purchase a spare tyre.
Old 26th January 2023, 18:52   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick.vkv View Post
One dealer told me that booking can't be switched. Did you transfer same booking to KHT, or made a new booking at KHT? If you made new booking, would you be eligible for introductory pricing?
Made a new booking at the introductory price.
teknicsand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 19:27   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
Made a new booking at the introductory price.
Is the introductory price still available?
Old 27th January 2023, 09:41   #99

The article also mentions that those tyres have a special coating to prevent noise and the normal tyres wont have this issue. As per specifications mentioned in Tata's website, the Tiago EV uses the same tyres used in the ICE version.
gsriram.avis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 10:29   #100
BHPian

A naive question ... but have the deliveries started for the Tiago EV?
Ajay_Sensei is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 12:44   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsriram.avis View Post
The article also mentions that those tyres have a special coating to prevent noise and the normal tyres wont have this issue. As per specifications mentioned in Tata's website, the Tiago EV uses the same tyres used in the ICE version.
Googled quite a bit after using the sealant whether the tyre needs to be replaced, could not find a definitive answer but most of the replies point to replacing the tyre, irrespective of normal or special tyres with coating to reduce noise. Also found an old TBHP thread which discusses tyre sealants and it also points to the same thing, as using the sealant can lead to wheel balancing issues, or TPMS sensor to fail.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...es-work-3.html (Ultraseal tyre sealant - Does it work?)

So I guess to be on the safer side, will need to buy a spare tyre seperately.
chivasblue is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:06   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_Sensei View Post
A naive question ... but have the deliveries started for the Tiago EV?
Nope. I have been calling my sales guy thrice every week, in December he was pretty sure that the first deliveries would be on 26th Jan to "coincide" with the national holiday. However, he says that no units have been dispatched/billed from the plant yet. He is unwilling to commit on a tentative delivery date now.

AFAIK the Tiago EV is under production at the Gujarat Tata plant, same as the Tigor EV. Being in the same state, I hope to get the delivery to be within a few days of dispatch from the plant.

What about other states? Any updates?

Side note: in Gujarat we still have the 10000 per kWh state subsidy capped at 1.5lakh. Tiago EV should be eligible for it, however it needs to be included in the FAME list here which has the Tigor EV and the Nexon EV. However, no signs of the Tiago EV on it yet.
crazydevil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 02:10   #103

Hi,

I have booked Tata Tiago EV on the very first day and one of the lucky customer whoes vehicle has already been alloted.
The model I booked is Tata Tiago EV XT LR.
In the brochure and website of the vehicle it was mentioned that the car will be having Electric Adjustable ORVM with Auto Fold Function. But recently saw a video of which says Auto folding is not available. Even the in the Imaginator shows that Auto fold fuctnality is available. Can anyone confirm if Auto Fold function is avaliable in Tiago EV XT LR model.

Attached Thumbnails
Tata Tiago Electric Review-screenshot_20230128_020049_chrome.jpg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-screenshot_20230128_013003_wps-office.jpg  

Tata Tiago Electric Review-screenshot_20230128_012915_chrome.jpg  

Traveller2705 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 02:48   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post
Nope. I have been calling my sales guy thrice every week, in December he was pretty sure that the first deliveries would be on 26th Jan to "coincide" with the national holiday. However, he says that no units have been dispatched/billed from the plant yet. He is unwilling to commit on a tentative delivery date now.

AFAIK the Tiago EV is under production at the Gujarat Tata plant, same as the Tigor EV. Being in the same state, I hope to get the delivery to be within a few days of dispatch from the plant.

What about other states? Any updates?.
I am from Kolkata, West Bengal. My vehicle has already been alloted. Delear has already mailed the Engine No. and VIN on 25th January
Traveller2705 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 08:12   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydevil View Post

What about other states? Any updates?

Side note: in Gujarat we still have the 10000 per kWh state subsidy capped at 1.5lakh. Tiago EV should be eligible for it, however it needs to be included in the FAME list here which has the Tigor EV and the Nexon EV. However, no signs of the Tiago EV on it yet.
Received a call from the dealer yesterday evening informing me that the car has been allotted.
Since I was traveling, I told them I would meet them in a couple of days.
John is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks