Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2008, 19:12   #4381
Senior - BHPian

Some more clicks from London....
The Official non-auto Image thread-img_7166.jpg
This pic has been editted in Picassa. Can some one color the whole sky for me keeping everything else black and white.

The Official non-auto Image thread-img_7167.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-115.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-102.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-119.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-089.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-075.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-083.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-35.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-picture-054.jpg

Last edited by extreme_torque : 9th December 2008 at 19:15.
Old 9th December 2008, 21:07   #4382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Thank you Torque, one more thing to qualify the man behind the camera matters. U know when I first started on this hobby of tigers, I had a EOS 300D with aTammy 70-300mm. If you guys would like to see the first tiger pic i took, then I would you that. It was in 2003 Kanha.During this sighting the tiger stopped faced our absolutely open gypsy and growled, I almost pissed in my pants.By myself I wouldnt dare to even bring it in front of public.
For me the man, his photographic sense and " nerves" added matters.Look at the shake, messed exposure, wrond focal length and everything gone wrong when you hear the blood curdling roar..
I have got only 1GB
Only place I have been to is Kanha.
Brought Sigma 170-500 just for this trip that woo a day before I left for the trip.

Old 9th December 2008, 21:38   #4383
BHPian

^^^ both are exceptionally sharp pics. I guess this lens is no more available. And not sure if the new 150-500mm, is this good.
Old 9th December 2008, 23:37   #4384
BHPian

[quote=me_sid;
Right sreeraj, I also do believe that its the man behind the lens and not the gear, I also " Depend" on my 70-300 mm for my tiger stints as you have correctly mentioned affordability. But then again meeting some of the masters of the trade in the jungles and their gears, I sometimes do get biased, normal human tendency ehh.... I havent tried bird shoots, but If i ever try i would love to take pictures like you. So let peace prevail and let the " Tigers Live". One for all of you, and @rjvora I have almost 8 GB of tiger snaps see if you like this one .[/quote]

Holy Cow!! Amazing shot!!! And heavenly light. Dont get biased, Most of the award winning Wildlife photos are created by the same 70-300 you are mentioning. Remember Jayanth Sharma's, elephant charging photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Neither Sreeraj nor me are Nikonian or Canonian. We belong to the family that is often pooh-poohed for having a smaller sensor than APS-C, but the lenses are worth worshipping.
You Bet Samurai, not to start an argument here, But Olympus 300 2.8 is any day a winner over Nikon and Canon equivalents. I have used all of them. Olympus for just one week. But it will coast you one arm and leg

Quote:
@Samurai: Come on.Advance photo System type "classic" is a tiny winy bit of a sensor. Oh I also I tried my hand on bird photography, only once and this is what I shot.
Class capture again, It would have been out of this world if a head turn towards you and some catch light on eyes. But then, Bird photography has its own challenges

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Some more clicks from London....
Attachment 78126
This pic has been editted in Picassa. Can some one color the whole sky for me keeping everything else black and white.

Attachment 78127

Attachment 78129

Attachment 78130

Attachment 78131

Attachment 78132

Attachment 78133

Attachment 78134

Attachment 78135

Attachment 78136
Lovely shots!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyonblackybx View Post
I have got only 1GB
Only place I have been to is Kanha.
Brought Sigma 170-500 just for this trip that woo a day before I left for the trip.
Now that's some excellent shots.

Two More from My side.

Montagus Harrier On Morning Light
The Official non-auto Image thread-motagu2.jpg

Black Shouldered Kite
The Official non-auto Image thread-black_shouldered_kite_hgetta.jpg

Both are from Last Weekend, will keep you updated after next weekend.
First time, an Off-Roader accompanied me for a birding trip. Suresh Stephen Was there with me.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 9th December 2008, 23:38   #4385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
^^^ both are exceptionally sharp pics. I guess this lens is no more available. And not sure if the new 150-500mm, is this good.
150-500 is better and pricer than 170-500. 170-500 is available at 30K where are 150-500 is priced at 45k or so.

Here is the link where you can view more from 170-500 :d

Last edited by guyonblackybx : 9th December 2008 at 23:45.
Old 10th December 2008, 09:21   #4386
BHPian

Good morning gentlemen! Awesome set of Pics posted by guyonblackybx, particularly the flames.The tiger pics are sharp but why did you crop the face?

@Sreeraj, you are right for tigers you dont need fixed tele as I feel u get a bit crippled by focal length, I mean you loose the flexibility.Am happy with her performance. By the way yesterday I got myself a second body, a D200 second hand with shutter cycle of 1218 for 28K . Olympus is one of the best , before landing into the digital age I had a OM1, and as per lenses, I feel though Nikon is trying very hard but canon lenses (particularly L series ) are better. And all 300/400 f2.8 would cost you an arm and a leg, ok make it two. For tiger photography a short zoom maybe 18-70 and a mid zoom 70-300 is enough. And needless to say priceless pics again.

@Samurai: Yes, I am aware, I went to periyaar in 2005 for my honeymoon.Stayed in a hotel called Aranya Niwaas by KTDC.They have a thing called night safari, where poachers turned conservationists take you in a walking tour thru the jungle. Managed to patao my wife to come with me , and trust me not even a growl. Only pug marks that too a day old.Even in Corbette, I wasnt satiated frankly

From my archive 2006 May, Sidhababa Female, late evening, crossing the road after a lazy day in the muck/pool. What a life
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-dsc_1102_filtered.jpg  

Old 10th December 2008, 09:40   #4387
BHPian

Quote:
150-500 is better and pricer than 170-500. 170-500 is available at 30K where are 150-500 is priced at 45k or so.
Tell me more about this f6.3 aperture. Do the autofocus work? BTW, i might have missed this one... what body are you using?

Quote:
Here is the link where you can view more from 170-500 :d
Where is the link?

Quote:
What a life
Yup... what a life.

Guys... i am proposing a T-BHP outing with photography as a theme. I know few auto-photography outing has been done before. Lets do some "nature" thing this time... there are too many good photographers here. Would love to meet them all...
Old 10th December 2008, 09:43   #4388
BHPian

Quote:
Good morning gentlemen! Awesome set of Pics posted by guyonblackybx, particularly the flames.The tiger pics are sharp but why did you crop the face?

@Sreeraj, you are right for tigers you dont need fixed tele as I feel u get a bit crippled by focal length, I mean you loose the flexibility.Am happy with her performance. By the way yesterday I got myself a second body, a D200 second hand with shutter cycle of 1218 for 28K . Olympus is one of the best , before landing into the digital age I had a OM1, and as per lenses, I feel though Nikon is trying very hard but canon lenses (particularly L series ) are better. And all 300/400 f2.8 would cost you an arm and a leg, ok make it two. For tiger photography a short zoom maybe 18-70 and a mid zoom 70-300 is enough. And needless to say priceless pics again.

@Samurai: Yes, I am aware, I went to periyaar in 2005 for my honeymoon.Stayed in a hotel called Aranya Niwaas by KTDC.They have a thing called night safari, where poachers turned conservationists take you in a walking tour thru the jungle. Managed to patao my wife to come with me , and trust me not even a growl. Only pug marks that too a day old.Even in Corbette, I wasnt satiated frankly

From my archive 2006 May, Sidhababa Female, late evening, crossing the road after a lazy day in the muck/pool. What a life
nice photo sid.Is that tiger working in a paint booth?
Old 10th December 2008, 09:55   #4389
BHPian

Awesome pics guys!
@guyonblackybx
The flames are so powerful!

Another one from my modest H50
The Official non-auto Image thread-d.jpg
Old 10th December 2008, 10:27   #4390
BHPian

@Torque, wonderful, green tree snale is it?
@Jerish, I didnt have guts to ask her from a distance of 20 ft. Trust me
@Gkrishn, what a wonderful idea, am in lets plan.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:36   #4391
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid
Thank you Shazikon, why is it so? Spotting tigers is not that difficult,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Spotting tigers in the South is lot more difficult.
Samurai is right.. its more difficult to spot tigers in jungles of karnataka because of the dense foliage and forest officials wont allow comman man like me to venture deeper in to the core zones where you actually have more possibility of sighting tigers. the closest i have been is in Nagarhole,where i could hear a tiger in some dense patch of trees and shrubs but could not see it.
Old 10th December 2008, 10:42   #4392
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Montagus Harrier On Morning Light
Attachment 78199
Nice shot Sree.. wanting to ask this? where do you go to sight these birds?
Are there popular well known places or just plain luck?
Old 10th December 2008, 10:45   #4393
Senior - BHPian

Wax apple

Wax apple aka love apple aka 'Champakka' (in malayalam)
Seen in my flickr album:

Bigger image: Flickr Photo Download: Wax Apple, Love Apple

Last edited by clevermax : 10th December 2008 at 10:51. Reason: adding link to bigger image
Old 10th December 2008, 11:10   #4394
BHPian

Quote:
I did not crop it its un edited pic thats 500mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Tell me more about this f6.3 aperture. Do the autofocus work? BTW, i might have missed this one... what body are you using?

Where is the link?
Yeah f6.3 let us down in low light situation.

This was first time I was using the lens, and had to use Auto Focus. However auto focus on this lens is slow. But its aint effective for small subjects like birds :P

I use Canon 400D

Here is the link

Sigma 170 - 500 mm APO DG - a set on Flickr
Old 10th December 2008, 13:45   #4395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This was first time I was using the lens, and had to use Auto Focus. However auto focus on this lens is slow. But its aint effective for small subjects like birds :P
Is slow AF a problem with all Sigma lenses? Whenever possible, I use autofocus, and it is lightning fast and accurate with my 18-70mm kit lens. In some low light situations, I use manual focussing when AF fails.

Most Viewed