Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Et Cetera

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 21:53   #14356
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Official non-auto Image thread

Gulmohar tree - I couldnt resist the those red flowers highlighted against the sky. D800, 50mm 1.4G, AWB
Attached Thumbnails
The Official non-auto Image thread-red.jpg  

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th May 2012 at 21:55.
Old 17th May 2012, 22:26   #14357
Senior - BHPian

Nice shot on the V1, TG!

Lens- Minolta 50mm, strobist- external flash fired from an angle
The Official non-auto Image thread-_dsc4676.jpg
Dedicated to the doomsdayists..

Last edited by clevermax : 17th May 2012 at 22:33.
Old 18th May 2012, 02:54   #14358
BHPian

@R2D2
Congrats on the D800! You must checkout its focus system for fast moving objects. One word, incredible. I tried shooting flying Swallows ( they r so fast, almost impossible to shoot) and that too, with really turbulent water in the background. I put the focal point selection mode to auto and turned on 3D tracking and the autofocus sytem was automatically picking up the bird(provided i manage to get it within the 51 points), instead of the waves, way more often than any camera I have ever shot with. Really impressed! I wish this focus system trickles down the Nikon line up.
The Official non-auto Image thread-7214795382_024daf73eb_b.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-7214796306_7fda4b78a8_b.jpg

Few monochromes, all shot on the D800 with the 70-200 f2.8 VR.
The Official non-auto Image thread-7215077890_cc11cea176_b.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-7215069328_733237bc78_b.jpg
The Official non-auto Image thread-7215073740_d84807a6da_b.jpg

Regards,
TG.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:10   #14359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@R2D2
Congrats on the D800! You must checkout its focus system for fast moving objects. One word, incredible. I tried shooting flying Swallows ( they r so fast, almost impossible to shoot) and that too, with really turbulent water in the background. I put the focal point selection mode to auto and turned on 3D tracking and the autofocus sytem was automatically picking up the bird(provided i manage to get it within the 51 points), instead of the waves, way more often than any camera I have ever shot with. Really impressed! I wish this focus system trickles down the Nikon line up.
Few monochromes, all shot on the D800 with the 70-200 f2.8 VR.
(Neat photos TG, as always).

Thanks and congrats to you as well. I am sure you would have waited a while for this camera as have many others including myself. My wait was nearly 2 months long.

Yes, it has a really classy focus system arguably one of the best there is today. Imagine it focuses in -2 EV which is bright moonlight! Though I find the D4 a tad faster to lock on and track especially with the 24-70 and 70-200 VR2. Possibly because of the larger battery. BTW have you got your D4?

Cheers!
Old 18th May 2012, 21:37   #14360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Shot on the V1.
Love this shot better than the D800 one I was meeting an established PRO today and he gave me a shock when he said his previous wedding assignment was done completely with a V1 (having D700 & D300 in the bag same time). He uses all his PRO lenses with its adapter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Gulmohar tree - I couldnt resist the those red flowers highlighted against the sky...D800, 50mm 1.4G, AWB
Are we not eligible to see some of your better shots with this kind of gadgets at your disposal ? May be you never want to show the best to poor public I am confused here now, did you get a D4 or D800 ?
Old 18th May 2012, 21:53   #14361
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Are we not eligible to see some of your better shots with this kind of gadgets at your disposal ? May be you never want to show the best to poor public I am confused here now, did you get a D4 or D800 ?
Sorry mate, I lost over 3/4ths of my library in a multiple HDD (3 drives in 2 separate RAID arrays ) crash and restored some from backup. Some of my most precious photos, mostly of family, are gone. Now starting literally from scratch. I am seriously thinking getting a Mozy or SOS online backup account.

As for the bodies - it is the D4 and the D800 which was added 12 days back. I am now patiently waiting for some moolah to add some CF/SD cards. Sigh! These expenses never cease.

PS - Hasten to add that I am not even half as talented as you and other guys like TG and of course Rudra.

Last edited by R2D2 : 18th May 2012 at 21:58.
Old 18th May 2012, 22:08   #14362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
......it is the D4 and the D800 which was added 12 days back. I am now patiently waiting for some moolah to add some CF/SD cards......I am not even half as talented as you and other guys like TG and of course Rudra.
Oh my Oh my, I am almost fainting (I will be royally banned here if I type here what comes to my mouth as a first reaction reading your first line)!!!! I will send a request to Nikon not to launch anything new for sometime

You can confidently leave me out of that elite class any day, I am far from even the mid point !
Old 18th May 2012, 22:27   #14363
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will send a request to Nikon not to launch anything new for sometime
Know what? That would be a great idea pal! No temptations!

Quote:
You can confidently leave me out of that elite class any day, I am far from even the mid point !
Elite? What elite?! Remember, owning a Ferrari doesnt make you a Schumacher. I am learning from talented TBHPians like yourself!
Old 18th May 2012, 22:46   #14364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....owning a Ferrari doesnt make you a Schumacher. I am learning from talented TBHPians like yourself!
That was the quote of the week, loved it ! Remember, if the Guru dakshina is a D4 or D800, any idiot can become a talented teacher overnite
Old 18th May 2012, 23:44   #14365
BHPian

Quote:
(Neat photos TG, as always).

Thanks and congrats to you as well. I am sure you would have waited a while for this camera as have many others including myself. My wait was nearly 2 months long.

Yes, it has a really classy focus system arguably one of the best there is today. Imagine it focuses in -2 EV which is bright moonlight! Though I find the D4 a tad faster to lock on and track especially with the 24-70 and 70-200 VR2. Possibly because of the larger battery. BTW have you got your D4?

Cheers!
@R2D2
I decided against the D4. The full frame video on the D4 is very soft. The D800 is much sharper. The 2.7 crop on the D4 is good, but it is pretty limiting, as i wanna shoot video on the full frame. I tested both cameras over a weekend and decided to go for the D800. With the D800, the only issue is the frame rate. But its ok as I dont depend much on framerate to get a moment, as i time my shutter release quite decently.

Quote:
Love this shot better than the D800 one I was meeting an established PRO today and he gave me a shock when he said his previous wedding assignment was done completely with a V1 (having D700 & D300 in the bag same time). He uses all his PRO lenses with its adapter.
Come on, you cant compare a macro and a portrait really, that's not fair to either of them I love the V1, just that for pro use I prefer a dslr for clients who need larger prints. And putting the dslr lens on the V1 is restrictive if u wanna get close to the action, and its great for the reverse. If I shoot for any event like a wedding, i like to be right in the middle of the action and for that i prefer a full frame for shorter working distance. Possibly because I do it in a photo-journalistic style and i go close to my subjects.
The Official non-auto Image thread-7214797318_16ffa945b8_b.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-7214801818_66aa3c4549_b.jpg

The Official non-auto Image thread-7214804192_8c42a158bd_b.jpg
Regards,
TG.
Old 19th May 2012, 09:48   #14366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Come on, you cant compare a macro and a portrait really, that's not fair to either of them........i like to be right in the middle of the action and for that i prefer a full frame for shorter working distance......
I can only compare what is available to me right ? I agree with that 'right in the middle of action' part and tried doing that in few weddings, issue here is the DSLR crowd (paid vs hobby) , lack of space and restless hands & heads of purjaris & relatives that kill the frame. Sometimes I feel we should tie the hands of relatives before the ceremony starts, everyone gives directions to everyone

Fashion, Lifestyle & Food are something I really want to experiment from now.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:30   #14367
Distinguished - BHPian

From fellow bhp'n Jeeva's Car.

The Official non-auto Image thread-dscn7126-1copy.jpg
Old 19th May 2012, 13:28   #14368
BANNED

Sunset from my native

The Official non-auto Image thread-twilight.jpg
Old 19th May 2012, 13:45   #14369
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.....Fashion, Lifestyle & Food are something I really want to experiment from now.
And here another learning process starts, I am completely new to this genre, so forgive the technical drawbacks, I may not know what to do with my models for a while, I promise I will pick up fast
The Official non-auto Image thread-rah06.jpg
Old 19th May 2012, 15:00   #14370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats c300. This is why we keep saying "Sleep like a baby", she is a tiny angel.
Quote:
Congrats C300 on a beautiful baby! She is surely a blessing.

Best wishes,
Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Congrats c300 on the new addition to the family . An angel she looks.

God Bless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
Congrats C300 and absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing.
Thanks for your wishes folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Congratulations C300 . It'll be good to see you document her growing up. It'll be a nice project and will give you so many memories. Just ensure you do not use flash till she grows up a bit (4-5 months). There's no scientific explanation/facts of any damage that might happen, but why take a chance?
Thanks HW. Its only 3 weeks and my memory card is almost full with lots of photos and videos. Haven't used the flash yet. Thanks for pointing it out. Wide aperture of 31/1.8 and ISO performance of K-5 helping a lot.
Only pain point is the lack of AF during video mode. Pentax has now added this feature to the mirror-less K-01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Setting Sun.

Attachment 927434
Lovely shot ampere.

Most Viewed