Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2012, 23:22   #46
BHPian

re: Flipkart takes over Letsbuy. End of Competition? EDIT: Flipkart now buys Myntra!

Lets buy has been closed by flip kart. End of story. I wonder what is the use of buying?
Old 26th June 2012, 08:13   #47
BHPian

re: Flipkart takes over Letsbuy. End of Competition? EDIT: Flipkart now buys Myntra!

Latest Forbes cover story is on Flipkart ("Indias e-commerce darling is headed for a fall")
As per the article both Flipkart and LB had same set of VC's who asked LB to sell off to Flipkart.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:08   #48
BHPian

Now if you see, the prices in flipkart are no longer attractive, as it used to be earlier.

I was checking for PS3 move bundle, and previously you could get at least a game free at filpkart.

Now they are selling PS3 move bundle for MRP 19,999 without any freebies. I would rather buy at brick and mortar store and still get some freebies.

On the other hand snapdeal is selling same at 1700 Rs discount for Rs 18,200.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:43   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Now if you see, the prices in flipkart are no longer attractive, as it used to be earlier.
Yes. Flipkart has a got a loyal customer base all over India. Far east India too. It's a natural progression. Pay extra for quality service.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is why after the takeover of Letsbuy, I haven't bought anything from Flipkart-Letsbuy combine.
I prefer buying from ebay. The prices are almost the same plus the discount coupons on ebay make it a attractive deal.
Just last week I bought a lens from ebay after lots of head scratching on whether to buy from Flipkart.
But then I am absolutely happy with the experience I have with ebay till now. No reasons to complain.
Old 26th June 2012, 09:57   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Yes. Flipkart has a got a loyal customer base all over India. Far east India too. It's a natural progression. Pay extra for quality service.
Agree here to some extent, in order to remain profitable they have to do away with huge discounts and focus on quality.
I too have very good experience with them in all of my purchases.

But I still maintain the view that online stores should sell cheaper than the brick and mortar stores. They can do that as they save on rentals and manpower.

Just imagine the cost stores like Reliance Digital or Chrome incur on leasing
huge spaces in malls, and depend on army of salespersons to generate sales.
Old 26th June 2012, 14:17   #52
BHPian

Quote:
But I still maintain the view that online stores should sell cheaper than the brick and mortar stores.Just imagine the cost stores like Reliance Digital or Chrome incur on leasing huge spaces in malls
Reliance retail, croma & other pan India biggies on the lines of Reliance and tata source directly from companies and in huge quantities (quite naturally given their multi stores).

Huge quantities means good margins (actually so good that it doesn't matter if those products dont sell even for 2.5 years, so much so that if this happens they get rid of this unsold maal for less than half of the original MRP printed on the box) I've seen this happen in Bangalore.

Regarding leasing spaces in malls and the like. Do you know that big brands actually pay biggies for showroom space? This way bargains to be had on visiting a brick and mortar shop is much easier than these online companies. They source directly too, but not in the quantities big guys manage.
Old 26th June 2012, 15:02   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Now they are selling PS3 move bundle for MRP 19,999 without any freebies. I would rather buy at brick and mortar store and still get some freebies.

On the other hand snapdeal is selling same at 1700 Rs discount for Rs 18,200.
Yep your right. I just got my PS3 over the last weekend & i was in the same dilemma of whether to buy online which is invariably flipkart or get it from a brick & mortar store cause i wanted my unot to be 2012 manufactured which i wouldn't get to know if i bought it online.

But with Flipkart pricing the doubt was cleared & was not comfortable buying it from Snapdeal even with the amazing discount, finally got it from Planet M close to my work place where he offered the Rs.19990 modle for 19000 & the Rs.16990 one for Rs.16140. So got myself the latter.

But yeah for games guess i will be back on the Flipkart site.
Old 26th June 2012, 23:04   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Latest Forbes cover story is on Flipkart ("Indias e-commerce darling is headed for a fall")
As per the article both Flipkart and LB had same set of VC's who asked LB to sell off to Flipkart.
Just finished reading the article, and somehow it smacks of a smear job. You must consider that the whole premise of the article is largely around the fact that GAP refused to infuse funds into Flipkart at its expected valuation of $1 billion. And, this valuation was late last year. Since then revenues at Flipkart had grown around 400%. Also, some thing seems fishy in the timing of the article and the low level criticism being levelled against the Flipkart founders. Obviously there are issues in Flipkarts operations, but then which startup does not have teething troubles. Writing off Flipkart may be erroneous just yet.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:51   #55
Senior - BHPian

I was scouting the internet for a book , and found that flipkart is selling atleast 20% more expensive than other retailers like homeshop18 or India plaza.
I wonder for how long customers will buy based just on the "Service" tag , which , btw, is slipping somewhat in my personal experience last month. Barring that 1 experience though, their service to me was exemplary.

PS : Flipkart needs big money to keep delivering - The Times of India
Old 17th July 2012, 15:50   #56
Team-BHP Support

They recently increased the prices of books across the board due to falling margins. Here is another piece on the problems they face !

Forbes India Magazine - Can Flipkart Deliver?
Old 18th July 2012, 00:06   #57
BHPian

Forbes article reveals a lot of bitter truth, and I have seen that very close.
Old 18th July 2012, 00:09   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunishsamuel View Post
I have seen that very close.
Are / were you an employee ?
Old 18th July 2012, 00:16   #59
BHPian

Yes Eddy, I was.

Was going through one section of the article that said

"Are you going to put Das’ name next to all these allegations?” Sachin asks me during an interview in which Binny and CFO Karandeep Singh were present.
“Yes,” I tell him.

“Hmm!!! Usko toh dekh lenge [We’ll deal with him],” he says to Binny, before being pacified by Singh to let matters rest.

Read more: Forbes India Magazine - Can Flipkart Deliver?"
Old 19th July 2012, 07:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

And now the inevitable - shipping charges are charged to the customer for purchases under 300/-

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks