Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th September 2012, 19:17   #121
BHPian

re: Flipkart takes over Letsbuy. End of Competition? EDIT: Flipkart now buys Myntra!

I had ordered the Karcher pressure washer on the 17th. When I didn't receive the order I mailed them on the 25th & they informed me that the product was out of stock & the payment would be credited back to my credit card account. On the 26th I receive an email that the order has been dispatched.
They are definitely slipping, time to get their act together now that the FDI will be in effect Amazon is gearing up huge for the change.
Old 27th September 2012, 20:05   #122
Senior - BHPian

re: Flipkart takes over Letsbuy. End of Competition? EDIT: Flipkart now buys Myntra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
When I didn't receive the order I mailed them on the 25th & they informed me that the product was out of stock & the payment would be credited back to my credit card account. On the 26th I receive an email that the order has been dispatched.
They are definitely slipping, time to get their act together now that the FDI will be in effect Amazon is gearing up huge for the change.
I thought FDI is not open for the e-commerce sector in the current reforms.

But the flipkart service has definitely slipped a bit, the pricing increased too. Had ordered some books from flipkart and today is the 19th day when I receive a call from them! That too after repeated inquiry. Since they are low cost items and since I wanted them anyway and since I don't much mind those getting late, I told them to reship. The courier service is also to be blamed in this case.
Old 27th September 2012, 20:34   #123
BANNED

Quote:
Is this fact or speculation - that Amazon is gearing up huge?
Old 28th September 2012, 10:38   #124
BHPian

For comparing prices, this is a good site http://cheapr.me/
Nowadays using Flipkart mostly as a wishlist manager. Able to get good discount in other sites. Recently ordered 2 books from Homeshop18. The book were priced significantly lesser than FK and on top of that got an additional discount through an offer from their FB page. Since it was my first purchanse from them, did COD. It arrived promptly with a compliment pen and another discount coupon

@Mods may be the thread should be renamed as Indian ecommerce sites or something like that
Old 28th September 2012, 13:52   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Is this fact or speculation - that Amazon is gearing up huge?
I was just interviewed by them for their Hyd location, they are ramping up to 500 headcounts by Dec '12, & further proposed to another 1000 headcounts in 2013. It has not been made official yet though.
Old 28th September 2012, 14:25   #126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was just interviewed by them for their Hyd location, they are ramping up to 500 headcounts by Dec '12, & further proposed to another 1000 headcounts in 2013. It has not been made official yet though.
Amazon has been in Hyd and Bangy for a long time now. In Raheja Mindspace here. But then what has that got to do with their ecommerce venture plans for India, if any?

Amazon has huge backoffice IT and other support work (even merchandising) happening out of India. I have attended many of their sessions which they hold from time to time here on their cutting edge work in IT. Amazon holds many patents for their various unique IT related work in the fields of neural networks, AI and such which they use for providing the kind of experience that they do for their buyers and sellers.

However, that has no connection to their online retail business plans for India. Indian FDI rules that came into force a few days back is absolutely not meant for online retail ventures. The policy states so very categorically. As far as Amazon is concerned they are still where they were last month or before in terms of any scopes for online presence here. Nothing has changed.
Old 28th September 2012, 15:12   #127
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Amazon has been in Hyd and Bangy for a long time now. In Raheja Mindspace here. But then what has that got to do with their ecommerce venture plans for India, if any?

Amazon has huge backoffice IT and other support work (even merchandising) happening out of India.
They also have developement centers in Hyd & Chennai. However, again this has nothing to do with their plans for retailing in India. Which is why my question to the OP.
Old 28th September 2012, 15:28   #128
BHPian

Quote:

Amazon has huge backoffice IT and other support work (even merchandising) happening out of India. I have attended many of their sessions which they hold from time to time here on their cutting edge work in IT. Amazon holds many patents for their various unique IT related work in the fields of neural networks, AI and such which they use for providing the kind of experience that they do for their buyers and sellers.

However, that has no connection to their online retail business plans for India. Indian FDI rules that came into force a few days back is absolutely not meant for online retail ventures. The policy states so very categorically. As far as Amazon is concerned they are still where they were last month or before in terms of any scopes for online presence here. Nothing has changed.
Like I said "nothing is official though". These details were given to me by the HR telling me about the company profile. They haven't stated anything specific to online retail business. Only their plans to increase headcount.
Old 28th September 2012, 16:25   #129
BANNED

Quote:
They haven't stated anything specific to online retail business. Only their plans to increase headcount.
Then, for it it's probably related to their development centers at Hyd and Chennai. They have been increasing headcount every year for many years now - unrelated to selling anything in India. The Chennai center does Kindle related work, I think.

Last edited by carboy : 28th September 2012 at 16:27.
Old 28th September 2012, 19:43   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I thought FDI is not open for the e-commerce sector in the current reforms.

But the flipkart service has definitely slipped a bit, the pricing increased too. Had ordered some books from flipkart and today is the 19th day when I receive a call from them! That too after repeated inquiry. Since they are low cost items and since I wanted them anyway and since I don't much mind those getting late, I told them to reship. The courier service is also to be blamed in this case.
Definitely. My order was picked for Delivery in Mahadevpura Hub today morning around 10am. And its almost 8pm and have not got the delivery yet. And my house is less than 5KMs from Mahadevpura, in Brookefield.

Called Customer care, simple reply - We see SAME status as you see in the online. Then why the hell they have a customer care?
Old 28th September 2012, 21:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post

Flipkart was prompt in trying to troubleshoot, and when nothing worked, have agreed to a replacement. I am expecting the replacement in a couple of days. I am thanking my stars for choosing Flipkart over Sulekha, though the latter was cheaper by one grand.
The replacement smart phone arrived in 3 days flat, and everything has been hunky dory for the past two days. The courier guy took back the old phone with all the accessories it had come with.

I've given them an outstanding rating on their online feedback form.

Quote:
Amazon has been in Hyd and Bangy for a long time now. In Raheja Mindspace here.
They have an office in Q City too, near Wipro/ Kanbay Circle, in Financial district, Gachibowli, Hyderabad.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:18   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

I ordered my first ever product from Flipkart ( Yeah, I know i am quite late) couple of days ago. It was a Nikon DSLR Remote.

What impressed me was it was shipped the same day I ordered and received it the next day.

Another impressive thing about flipkart is they keep you informed via. email the status including an email after delivery is made.

P.S: Having said above, I feel Flipkart is not the cheapest in terms of product pricing as there are many other online stores that offer same product for cheaper prices
Old 26th October 2012, 14:28   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
P.S: Having said above, I feel Flipkart is not the cheapest in terms of product pricing as there are many other online stores that offer same product for cheaper prices
Yes, they no longer hold the pricing advantage, even in case of books, their original business. Sometimes there is a difference of upto 20-25% between other websites like Indiaplaza or Infibeam compared to flipkart. Plus they provide free shipping too!
Old 12th March 2013, 13:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

Seems the initial enthusiasm of online shopping has died down or is it on our forum only? Meanwhile, flipkart.com has upped their shipping charges. "Free Shipping if total order amount is Rs. 500 or above. Add Rs. 50 otherwise."
Old 12th March 2013, 13:45   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I ordered my first ever product from Flipkart ( Yeah, I know i am quite late) couple of days ago. It was a Nikon DSLR Remote.

+1 Avi.

I ordered my Parrot Car Kit (Minikit+) from Flipkart for the first time last week and i received the package in 3 days. The whole experience was quick and easy and i could track my order easily as well.

On the pricing part, Infibeam was offering the same product for 1k less but they had some negative reviews so ordered from Flipkart instead.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks