Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2009, 14:19   #1726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

In spite of all these, things can go wrong... but it will be a thrilling experience if I can do it right.
I would have loved to act the assistant for the job, cool thing to do.
Just a small suggestion, you seem to be highly prepared, make sure your work table has good length and you move along the length of the table and back as you open, clean and close back, good way to avoid a lot of mistakes and extra screws and springs
Old 1st October 2009, 20:58   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburagohain View Post
I would have loved to act the assistant for the job, cool thing to do.
Just a small suggestion, you seem to be highly prepared, make sure your work table has good length and you move along the length of the table and back as you open, clean and close back, good way to avoid a lot of mistakes and extra screws and springs
You're welcome!!
Thanks for the suggestion... That's a very good idea... only thing is that the table should be long enough.

There is no start date or deadline for this project so, I will be relaxed while doing this, thus the possibility of ending up with an extra screw is minimized
Old 1st October 2009, 21:14   #1728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
This is something I always wanted to know.
Take for example 70-300mm lens, the zoom is around 4.28. If I understand it correctly 4.28 is the zoom range of this lens. But what is the magnification it provides on a 35mm equivalent camera? Some where I read the 1x magnification is 42 mm. Can we take the magnification(at 300mm) provided by this lens would be 300/42 which is around 7x?? Also on APS-C format with 1.5x crop factor, is the magnification 7X x 1.5X = 10.5x??? on a 4-3rds with a crop factor 2x, is the magnification 7X x 2X = 14X??
To add to what SPARK mentioned, it is better to convert 10x into x to y mm (like in 25mm to 250mm), rather than convert x to ymm into an x factor. Because, x to y is an absolute value where as the x factor is relative.

Also, since you mentioned about the actual magnification that different cameras provide, we also need to consider the crop factor of the camera. What i am trying to say is a Nikon (say d40) at 200mm (lens setting) may provide a different magnification than a Canon at 200mm (lens setting), as their crop factors may be different. (If i remember right most entry level Nikons have a CF of 1.6 and the entry level Canons have 1.5). So, an even better way of expressing the focal length is with respect to a full frame sensor equivalent value.
For example, on a Nikon D40, that has a crop factor of 1.5, with a 55 to 200mm lens, the Full frame equivalent would be 82.5mm to 300mm. This range is more appropriate to be mentioned when we talk of magnification.
Old 1st October 2009, 22:21   #1729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Also, since you mentioned about the actual magnification that different cameras provide, we also need to consider the crop factor of the camera. .....
You are right, that's the reason why I specifically mentioned 35mm equivalent(may be I should have mentioned it as full frame camera, to avoid the confusion, I am sorry).

BTW, the confusion would not be much rather once we are clear on the magnification factor, just multiply with the Crop factor you will get the magnification for that lens for that camera(provided, my assumption about the magnification was right!!!)
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:25   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
Sukiwa, I am trying to take an informed decision on camera. From the first feel I have, I guess we are not yet ready for an DSLR. With two little kids who are naughty as they can be, it is not a safe idea to carry delicate equipment.

Also, the lenses and all needed to click pictures for best results are difficult to manage with kids. For now I would rather stick to a High end digital (or a semi DSLR as some call it). Sticking to Canon for reasons of after sales service.

Do the focal lenghts have anything to do with the zooming capability? How are they correlated?
Dushmish, like said earlier SLR systems are built over a period of time. I started with Pentx K1000 serios film SLR, moved to Rebel series, then Elan 7E and now use a EOS20D. Elan 7E film camera is still my back up camera body. Lenses were also bought over time, starting with 50/1.8 normal to 70-200/4L. I do have a point and shoot Poweshot G5 camera when I cant carry stuff around. And all this happend in the last 12 years.So give yourself time to research and pick the ones that suit your style of photography.

If you are looking for some semi SLR type there are quiet a few options. They let you play with Aperture,Shutter Speed etc, change metering modes. Powershot G Series is one such camera from Canon. A similar range is available in Olympus. Pick one of those, identify what your style of photography is going to be and pick/build a DSLR System that suits you.

Good luck.

Nainar
Old 2nd October 2009, 12:34   #1731
Senior - BHPian

If you buy in grey then you can mix n match. A D40 with a 18-105 VR is a decent combi.

Just to help matters, my suggestion would be to go for a D5000 with the 18-105 VR. Would cost approx 46K in Delhi's grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I am not sure if you can buy the cheap entry level DSLRs without the kit lens, but if you can I would recommend you to do so and get a better lens. But then if you are just starting to experiment with photography get the cheap kit lens and buy better lenses as and when needed.

Even if they are discontinued I would agree with KKR2k2 about the D40 or the D40X. Get one if you could. Excellent cameras and very cheap especially now.
Old 3rd October 2009, 22:02   #1732
Senior - BHPian

My new gadget: Nikon D90 with kit lens 18-105 VR
Bought it from: Pixetra.com
Price: 65K (with Bill & Warranty)
Attached Thumbnails
The DSLR Thread-pics-038.jpg  

The DSLR Thread-pics-040.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2009, 22:06   #1733
Senior - BHPian

Ho nice , finally you pulled the trigger . Post some buying experience from them . Like their customer service, how did the box look like , sealed ,your reaction when they opened . Its black beautiful .Congrats.
Old 3rd October 2009, 22:25   #1734
BHPian

I will keep off grey market. I would rather pay more and be sure on warranty and peace of mind.

I have been vacillating between a DSLR and a High End Digital. Canon is decided.

What do gurus say about a D500? Expensive but loaded is how I see it. How much does digic 3 and digic 4 matter? More the merrier is what I understand. Is something like getting outdated happen in DSLR techno?

Lenses, I understand have to be VR and do not get dated.
Old 3rd October 2009, 22:38   #1735
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Black12rr!

Buying experience from Pixextra.com was nice!
I bought it online from their site, made the payment by credit card, received the acknowledgment immediately by email.
The camera was shipped in a nicely sealed box, got it in 2 days flat!
Old 3rd October 2009, 22:43   #1736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
My new gadget: Nikon D90 with kit lens 18-105 VR
Bought it from: Pixetra.com
Price: 65K (with Bill & Warranty)
Welcome to the DSLR world..! Happy clicking..! 18-105mm will cover a wide range of your shooting needs.
Old 4th October 2009, 08:06   #1737
BHPian

Help!!

I have been vacillating between a DSLR and a High End Digital. Canon is decided.

What do gurus say about a D500? Expensive but loaded is how I see it. How much does digic 3 and digic 4 matter? More the merrier is what I understand. Is something like getting outdated happen in DSLR techno?

Old 4th October 2009, 09:06   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Help!!

As someone who does a lot of personal travel photography and lived happily for many hears with Panasonic Lumix superzooms before updgrading to a D500. Here is my take:

What I really like about the D 500:
Quality of pictures is crisper and sharper. Low light shooting is amazing especially indoors and shooting moving subjects in low light. I doubt high end digital zooms can get there.

The camera has excellent results. Check out my pondicherry album

Genesis - soumya.org: Pondicherry - Enchanté

Most of the terms you are asking about are irrelevant to even semi advanced photographers. The way I think about it, we dont really need 15 mega pixels but will I take it if it is there...of course.

Other after effects to think about:

The sucking sound of money going into buying lenses and accessories...I added on a a 18-200 EF (I missed my 10x optical zoom in the lumix), a crumpler bag...lens hood, basically the possibilites and the tempation is endless...Dont underestimate how much more you will keep spending on lenses.

I have to be MUCH more careful with my DSLR than with the high end digitals, worrying about scratching the lens, moisture etc.
It is significantly larger to carry around.

I MISS not being able to shoot using the display screen and always peering into the viewfinder. (Something most people buying SLRs for the first time may not realise...Yes there is live view...but it is just about okay). I MISS not being to shove the camera outside the car and take photos with one hand (while parked )

I am able to many MORE photos indoors and under tricky lighting conditions.

My ending take:

The SLR opens up new possibilities for taking photos (fast, lowlight, experimentation) and is a whole new mind game. I love it.

However for a 'regular' users (which includes me 50% of the time) taking family, outdoor and landscape photos, the high end digital zooms bring it all in with great results and I would seriously consider them if money, ease of use and size is a factor. (I still keep my panasonic lumix tz3 in the camera case and if you did not know you sometimes cannot tell the difference between the results.)

Hope this slightly verbose commentary helps and does not confuse you further
Old 4th October 2009, 10:01   #1739
BHPian

Thanks Genesis for the detailed reply. Your comments have firmed my resolve to buy a DSLR.

My wife is looking for a camera where one can fit filters. Specially the polarising filter. I am not sure if it can be fitted in a high end Canon SX10/20.

Now the question is which model of DSLR to buy in Canon. D1000, D450, D500. I know it is a series of expenses I am entering. I have Canon Poweshot A95. Doesn't even have an image stabliser. As you mentioned, shall continue to use the basic camera as well.
Old 4th October 2009, 10:49   #1740
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Genesis for the detailed reply. Your comments have firmed my resolve to buy a DSLR.

My wife is looking for a camera where one can fit filters. Specially the polarising filter. I am not sure if it can be fitted in a high end Canon SX10/20.

Now the question is which model of DSLR to buy in Canon. D1000, D450, D500. I know it is a series of expenses I am entering. I have Canon Poweshot A95. Doesn't even have an image stabliser. As you mentioned, shall continue to use the basic camera as well.
Dushmish,

Good, if you are in the long run to spend money as Genesis wrote, welcome to the Club.

I think they all use a similar sensor with 1.6X unlike the Pro grade cameras. You have to multiply your regular lens focal length by this to get effective Focal lenght in 35 MM film terms.

Max shutter speed will be a differentiator. I think some have 1/4000 max but you need to see whether you will be covering a lot of sporting action to require 1/8000 as in EOS50D.

Some dont have LCD display on the top. You should visit the Canon showroom in Bridade road. Get a feel of the camera hold, access to controls, how you can manipulate. All this makes a huge difference. If your hands are large, you will feel a bit uncomfortable holding Rebel series as well as access control dials. That showroom does not sell, but showcase canon products. You can spend as much time as you want, trying your hands and then buy the one you like.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks