Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2017, 23:23   #14506
M35
BHPian

Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpb View Post
Has anyone used Rokinon 14MM F 2.8 prime lense I plan to buy the same. Reviews are looking really great, Just wanted to check first hand user experience. Thanks
I had a 14 2.8, Nikon mount and now regret it for letting it go ! Loved it on my D610 ! One needs to manually focus though, which isn't any issue especially when you are at f/8 or so mostly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
I bought D 5200 With 18-55 m lens. What is the essentail difference between this 3200,3300 series to 5200,5300 series cams?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
D5xxx have
. Swivel screen
. 14 bit RAW vs 12 bit RAW
. Connectivity, now in D3400

Rest is same.

In short if you do not want gizmos and better build D3xxx is as good as the D5xxx and D7xxx as they all have same or similar sensor.
I thought D5xxx have more focus points; 39 against 11, the only reason why I would pick a D5xxx instead of D3xxx. BTW, this is what I do !

Last edited by M35 : 11th July 2017 at 23:25.
Old 12th July 2017, 10:00   #14507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
D5xxx have
. Swivel screen
. 14 bit RAW vs 12 bit RAW
. Connectivity, now in D3400
Rest is same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I thought D5xxx have more focus points; 39 against 11, the only reason why I would pick a D5xxx instead of D3xxx. BTW, this is what I do !
Adding to what M35 has listed - not only more focus points, but a better AF system (Multi-CAM 1000 in 3xxx vs Multi-CAM 4800DX in 5xxx), a better metering system (420-pixel RGB sensor vs 2016-pixel RGB sensor), bracketing capability, Image sensor cleaning (3xxx does not have the sensor cleaning via vibration), More options in Active D-Lighting (if you use that).
Old 12th July 2017, 12:27   #14508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
I had a 14 2.8, Nikon mount and now regret it for letting it go ! Loved it on my D610 ! One needs to manually focus though, which isn't any issue especially when you are at f/8 or so mostly.
Thanks M35! this was really useful. I have ordered the lense.
Old 20th July 2017, 15:30   #14509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Space is not an issue for me. Only concern is that I currently have 18-55mm and 55-200mm with me. Will it be worth buying a 50mm or 18-140 for ladakh trip
You dont need to buy another lens for the trip unless you are anyways planning to upgrade from your kit lens. In that case, it might help if you prepone your buying decision. Also, doubt 50 mm lens' usefulness on such a trip. Would recommend getting a tripod for the trip, should be possible to get some excellent long exposure shots at night.

Do share pics post trip! cheers.
Old 21st July 2017, 12:18   #14510
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone used Rokinon 14MM F 2.8 prime lense I plan to buy the same. Reviews are looking really great, Just wanted to check first hand user experience. Thanks
Where are you getting it? also at what price are you getting this lens? I am also seriously considering getting this one. Firstly for the price and also because it can be used later if I decide to upgrade to a FF body. I am currently using a Nikon D5300. My lens collection consists of the standard 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 Prime. After using the prime lens, don't feel like using anything but that.
Old 25th July 2017, 12:09   #14511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrisharm View Post
Where are you getting it? also at what price are you getting this lens? I am also seriously considering getting this one. Firstly for the price and also because it can be used later if I decide to upgrade to a FF body. I am currently using a Nikon D5300. My lens collection consists of the standard 18-55 kit lens and the 50mm 1.8 Prime. After using the prime lens, don't feel like using anything but that.
I have sourced Rokinon 14mm lense from US, I will get that in hand by this weekend and keep you posted about it, my gear includes Nikon D90, 18-105, 70-300, 50mm F1.8 and 14mm Rokinon is new addition to the gear
Old 25th July 2017, 17:08   #14512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've been using one for couple of years now. Very sharp lens and nice ultra wide perspective for various scenarios of Landscape photography (Which is what I'm using it for). The colors and contrasts are pretty good too. It took me sometime to get used to changing the aperture manually as I used to keep forgetting to change to required aperture initially. I'm used to manual focussing but the scale on the lens that I have is not exactly to the correct scale it seems.
But the big problem is that I can't use my graduated filters (or any other filters for that matter) on this lens and I end up changing to 17-40mm once the need for GND's arise.
Old 28th July 2017, 14:57   #14513
Senior - BHPian

Monochromes: nature shots

Been selling some prints. People seem to have a preference for monochrome. And very few folks like tiger prints (not talking about rare tigers here, that one is different). Guess there is a certain level of discomfort if one has to look at tiger photos every day :-)

A couple were old shots i.e. taken with ancient cameras. Sometimes even 150 dpi is ok for prints.

The DSLR Thread-trainlinethroughaforest_vertical.jpg

The DSLR Thread-bullgaur.jpg

The DSLR Thread-elephants2.jpg

The DSLR Thread-terns.jpg

The DSLR Thread-dawn.jpg

The DSLR Thread-swallow1.jpg
Old 29th July 2017, 08:32   #14514
BANNED

I was a regular in monochrome until both film and printing paper went out. The amount of flexibility in Mono is phenomenal. I have take a part of a frame (less than 1/4) from a 35mm negative, and blown it up to 15"x12". But then the film was Ilford PanF (50ASA), my own processing (using basically Neofin Blue), and printing on a Durst F30 and with an EL Nikkor 50/f4. My experience is that most lower end enlarging lenses cannot cope with with these extreme requirements.
Old 11th August 2017, 21:49   #14515
Senior - BHPian

All,

I need some urgent help. I already have the 50mm 1.8 (the original) but that lens has issues and it wont talk to the camera anymore and I cannot adjust the aperture. The canon service center says it is much better to buy a new one rather than fix this. I kind of agree. Does not make sense to spend 4k for repairs when you can get a new one at about 8k.

I have placed on hold a canon 50mm 1.4 lens. I am hearing mixed reviews about its NOT so true USM motor. Now I am in doubt whether to move to 85mm 1.8. I shoot from a crop sensor at the moment. I really like the 50mm focal length on the crop sensor. The only reason to think about moving to 50mm 1.4 is because of the better bokeh. Canon 85mm 1.8 can also produce this, or is said to be better???

Is it wise to invest in 50mm 1.4? Should i buy the newer 50mm 1.8 with metal mounts and save some money? The only criteria is better bokeh. Is there anything in this general price range that I am looking at? Should I be looking at 35mm? Would 85mm be too long on aps-c?

Edit: I am look for a fast prime with a nice bokeh

Last edited by govigov : 11th August 2017 at 22:18.
Old 12th August 2017, 01:39   #14516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
All,

I need some urgent help. I already have the 50mm 1.8 (the original) but that lens has issues and it wont talk to the camera anymore and I cannot adjust the aperture. The canon service center says it is much better to buy a new one rather than fix this. I kind of agree. Does not make sense to spend 4k for repairs when you can get a new one at about 8k.

I have placed on hold a canon 50mm 1.4 lens. I am hearing mixed reviews about its NOT so true USM motor. Now I am in doubt whether to move to 85mm 1.8. I shoot from a crop sensor at the moment. I really like the 50mm focal length on the crop sensor. The only reason to think about moving to 50mm 1.4 is because of the better bokeh. Canon 85mm 1.8 can also produce this, or is said to be better???

Is it wise to invest in 50mm 1.4? Should i buy the newer 50mm 1.8 with metal mounts and save some money? The only criteria is better bokeh. Is there anything in this general price range that I am looking at? Should I be looking at 35mm? Would 85mm be too long on aps-c?

Edit: I am look for a fast prime with a nice bokeh
You wrote so much but didn't mention what you want to shoot? E.g. 70% X, 30% Y?

Edit: or whether there are any plans to move to a full frame?
Old 12th August 2017, 11:13   #14517
BHPian

So I have been using an EOS 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses for the past (almost) five years now. Its realy upgrade time for me now and I find myself preferring to use my phone's camera these days to the 1100D.

Now, I cannot spend a lot at all. I really want to get a new camera and get going again. I was looking at the Nikon D5300 with an 18-55 and a 50mm prime. There's also someone I know selling a well kept 3 years old D7100. I also have the Sony a6000 in my shortlist. My goal is to really learn photography and a bit of videography too. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

My Dad uses a Pentax K3 with a 70-300mm lens and I would love to take that one off his hands when he upgrades. However, find a service centre here is hard and cannot find Pentax K mount lenses online too. The Pentax, otherwise, is a great camera:
The DSLR Thread-imgp6323.jpg

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 12th August 2017 at 11:21.
Old 12th August 2017, 13:43   #14518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
So I have been using an EOS 1100D ...
1100D is a great starter camera. Maybe you should keep it and try upgrading the lens kit.

Quote:
I was looking at the Nikon D5300 with an 18-55 and a 50mm prime. There's also someone I know selling a well kept 3 years old D7100....
I would suggest stick to Nikon or Canon if you are into serious photography reason being the lenses are more easily available compared to other brands.
Of the 2 choices you have given I would chose D7100 if it is well maintained as it is more advanced one. However you would lose out on Wifi connectivity, GPS and high ISO range of D5300 if these matter to you.
Old 12th August 2017, 18:17   #14519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
So I have been using an EOS 1100D with 18-55 and 55-250 kit lenses for the past (almost) five years now. Its realy upgrade time for me now and I find myself preferring to use my phone's camera these days to the 1100D.

Now, I cannot spend a lot at all. I really want to get a new camera and get going again. I was looking at the Nikon D5300 with an 18-55 and a 50mm prime. There's also someone I know selling a well kept 3 years old D7100. I also have the Sony a6000 in my shortlist. My goal is to really learn photography and a bit of videography too. What should I do? Thanks in advance.

My Dad uses a Pentax K3 with a 70-300mm lens and I would love to take that one off his hands when he upgrades. However, find a service centre here is hard and cannot find Pentax K mount lenses online too. The Pentax, otherwise, is a great camera:
Attachment 1665894
1. Don't think about Pentax. They will be out of the market in a few years. They won't sustain ongoing investment, this is a minor sideshow for the parent company, Ricoh.

2. If you want to get into video, you should think about Sony or Canon. I am a Nikon shooter, but Nikon is not really serious about video, at least in the non-pro segments.

3. D7100 is old now. There are better sensors. And video is not that great.

4. D5300 gives minor delta benefits. Not worth getting into Nikon if you buy a D5300. And in any case, a D5300 doesn't give too much control with dedicated buttons. For that, you have to move to the D7x00 series, if you think of Nikon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayantvs View Post
1100D is a great starter camera. Maybe you should keep it and try upgrading the lens kit.

I would suggest stick to Nikon or Canon if you are into serious photography reason being the lenses are more easily available compared to other brands.
Of the 2 choices you have given I would chose D7100 if it is well maintained as it is more advanced one. However you would lose out on Wifi connectivity, GPS and high ISO range of D5300 if these matter to you.
1. GPS: how is that useful? Do most of the folks take those special shots that make geotagging an imperative? And what is the delta benefit over a mobile phone that can do geotagging? I always get into aeroplane mode when out in the field. I want to maximize the battery life.

2. WiFi: how is that useful? Are you a pro sports photographer, who needs to transfer photos to your parent company in a few minutes? :-)

3. D7100: if one is in the Nikon ecosystem, it makes sense, if one wants to learn. But moving from Canon to Nikon: why? Why not a 70D?
Old 12th August 2017, 19:12   #14520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
You wrote so much but didn't mention what you want to shoot? E.g. 70% X, 30% Y?

Edit: or whether there are any plans to move to a full frame?
It should be mostly children / adults in an indoor setting / semi-outdoor setting. (That is, not open parks / fields; more like marriage halls). I also do a bit of a street photography when I am abroad. The full frame upgrade will be there, so looking only at FF compatible lenses. But there is still so much to learn on the humble 60d, that I cant justify buying full frame, yet!

Last edited by govigov : 12th August 2017 at 19:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks