Team-BHP - How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   How Fast Is Your Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/1380-how-fast-your-internet-service-provider-isp-connection-22.html)

My local cable guy just got bought out by 7Star - which I think gets it's connection from Airtel, I'm not sure.

Currently on a 512kb/s connection, which SUCKS! I really want someone who'll provide a better service here. Before they were bought out, my ISP used to give me 50Mbps up and down. Pretty sweet.

Any recommendations for an ISP in Andheri East, right near the highway?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingeljell (Post 3110252)
My local cable guy just got bought out by 7Star - which I think gets it's connection from Airtel, I'm not sure.

Currently on a 512kb/s connection, which SUCKS! I really want someone who'll provide a better service here. Before they were bought out, my ISP used to give me 50Mbps up and down. Pretty sweet.

Any recommendations for an ISP in Andheri East, right near the highway?

Try 5net. 1mbps u/l plan for 700/mo. Download speeds upto 4 mbps on sites like YT, Microsoft, etc. You also get a hub connection with 500-600 tb shared data from users all over Mumbai, where the download speed ranges from 2-6 mbps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 3110311)
Try 5net. 1mbps u/l plan for 700/mo. Download speeds upto 4 mbps on sites like YT, Microsoft, etc. You also get a hub connection with 500-600 tb shared data from users all over Mumbai, where the download speed ranges from 2-6 mbps.

Thanks Prateek. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a franchise that supplies in Andheri east, so I've written to the service provider for Santacruz East.

*Fingers Crossed*

On 27th April I changed my ISP to ACT Broadband. They are Bangalore's local fiber optic high speed broadband provider. Honestly I am amazed at the speeds that showed up on my computer after the connection.

Name:  speedtest.png
Views: 1340
Size:  31.9 KB

As you can see from above I am getting above the quoted speed of 15 mbps, and I have heard from other folks using the connection for last 6 months that its pretty reliable as there are no disruptions.

Plan: ACT Abundant
Speed: 15mbps
FUP: 50GB (Only downstream)
Rent: 1259 pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by motomaverick (Post 3110562)
On 27th April I changed my ISP to ACT Broadband. They are Bangalore's local fiber optic high speed broadband provider. Honestly I am amazed at the speeds that showed up on my computer after the connection.
As you can see from above I am getting above the quoted speed of 15 mbps, and I have heard from other folks using the connection for last 6 months that its pretty reliable as there are no disruptions.

Rent: 1259 pm

Thats pretty good speed. I saw an ad in today's paper that they are offering 15Mbps speed at Rs.999/- and offering two months free. No mention of FUP though. If it is reliable, I will go for it too and get rid of Airtel. No probs with airtel though, but the current plan provides FUP of 50GB, speed of 8mbps and rent of Rs.1299 per month..

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrman (Post 3110624)
Thats pretty good speed. I saw an ad in today's paper that they are offering 15Mbps speed at Rs.999/- and offering two months free. No mention of FUP though. If it is reliable, I will go for it too and get rid of Airtel. No probs with airtel though, but the current plan provides FUP of 50GB, speed of 8mbps and rent of Rs.1299 per month..

I think 999 FUP is 40GB while 1099 FUP is 50GB, these are excluding taxes. Just check with them on the feasibility. The connection is working at these speeds since past 1 week so it should be good. The best part is torrent download at 700 Kb/s, now I need a new HDD asap. :D

Mine is a constant 2 Mbps till 18 GB and then a constant 1 Mbps all-you-can-eat from Tikona 4G. Very nice service - been using it since a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 3110718)
Mine is a constant 2 Mbps till 18 GB and then a constant 1 Mbps all-you-can-eat from Tikona 4G. Very nice service - been using it since a year.

That is on paper right. What's the actual speed test result on average.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prateekm (Post 3110311)

Heard back from them. No 5net providers in my area. Sucks! Still on the lookout for a decent ISP in Andheri east, near Garware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingeljell (Post 3110805)
Heard back from them. No 5net providers in my area. Sucks! Still on the lookout for a decent ISP in Andheri east, near Garware.

Reliance provides 2 mbps u/l for 999/month. No idea about their reliability though.

I use AirTel broadband. 16 mbps upto 30 GB and 512 kbps afterwards. Tariff - 1699 plux taxes.

Anyone using BBNL Broadband here in Bangalore? Rs 999+tax for 10 Mbps (without FUP) sounds brilliant!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bingeljell (Post 3110805)

I stay in Goregaon and have been using Tikona for close to three years now.
I'm paying 1600 for 4 Mbps and am getting consistent speeds and there are no crappy limits (my monthly downloads are around 100-150 GB).

I say this very rarely about any company, but service quality is also very good.

With no U/L plan on offering from Airtel, I switched to MTNL around 8 months back - 1 mbps U/l with no limits at 999/-. I get download speeds upto 145 kbps and there has been absolutely no downtime so far, may be because of the locality I live in.

However, one of my friends switched from MTNL because the service in his area was very very poor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleEye (Post 3110949)
I stay in Goregaon and have been using Tikona for close to three years now.
I'm paying 1600 for 4 Mbps and am getting consistent speeds and there are no crappy limits (my monthly downloads are around 100-150 GB).

I say this very rarely about any company, but service quality is also very good.

Thanks for this. I've had Tikona come and test their service at home, when I first moved in. It sucked even on their test line.

I also have a few friends who live near Goregaon / Malad in the west who have Tikona. They have nothing nice to say about their service. :/

Might be worth calling them over one more time to see if things have changed, at least in my area.