Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2013, 23:48   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Now Sygic Introduces HUD Feature!

Will that work in Indian conditions when most of the times the car coming from the opposite direction has 90/100 aftermarket bulbs on high beam?
Old 29th November 2013, 11:33   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Will that work in Indian conditions when most of the times the car coming from the opposite direction has 90/100 aftermarket bulbs on high beam?
No way. I had posted elsewhere that HUDs (in India), are effective only if we buy the separate translucent plastic film which allows the reflection without unduly blocking the driver's view.

Extra bright headlights will anyway make it unusable.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:05   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
No way. I had posted elsewhere that HUDs (in India), are effective only if we buy the separate translucent plastic film which allows the reflection without unduly blocking the driver's view.

Extra bright headlights will anyway make it unusable.
Do you have more information on the translucent plastic film you have mentioned above? Where do you get it? Have you tried it? I am thinking of purchasing this add-on just for the kicks. One more reason for my wife to think that I am losing my marbles.
Old 3rd December 2013, 21:20   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Do you have more information on the translucent plastic film you have mentioned above? Where do you get it?
Haven't tried it yet. Available online though:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Head-Up..._bxgy_e_text_y

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Head-up-disp...-/140778303797
Old 3rd December 2013, 23:08   #80
BHPian

re: Sygic India GPS Navigation

Will the translucent film not be an irritant at night or day, blocking a part of the visual.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:56   #81
BHPian

Hillman, I am sure it will be an irritant in the day - a patch of darker glass sitting like an odd man out. This has the potential to continuously distract the driver. Good point.
Old 4th December 2013, 10:58   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Thank you. Will check these out. Not sure why Thank You button is not appearing at the bottom of the post.
Old 4th December 2013, 13:14   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Will this mean end of navigation...err...road for products like Map My India for which I shelled 12K dew months earlier?
Old 4th December 2013, 13:44   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Will this mean end of navigation...err...road for products like Map My India for which I shelled 12K dew months earlier?
Map My India is a good product. I dont see there is anything to be worried about it. Dedicated navigation devices are any day better than mobile phones. One sole reason they will hook on to the GPS quickly and have better accuracy.

Yes these products are eventually heading for a slow death, because the phones are becoming better with every iteration. The speed at which innovation is happening with mobile phones has not happened with any other product till date. Both in terms of software and hardware.

PS. I'll still prefer Waze on my phone sitting in direct line of A/C vent
Only because I dont have to worry about map updates and these update automatically every week.
Old 4th December 2013, 18:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

Sygic India is in collaboration with Map my India maps but unfortunately they have not released a windows 8 mobile app which Map my India has for its own mobile version!!.
Old 4th December 2013, 20:43   #86
BHPian

Folks, just now I bought the Sygic HUD for 303 INR. Its really fantastic. Works beautifully. I used a Nexus 7 (2012) model to render maps. Took a few minutes to figure out how it works.

But still the driver distraction issue persists. When you look at the HUD, the outside display blurs. At any point of time, any one display only appears correctly. I will try in the day time tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Interesting tech by the way.
Old 4th December 2013, 22:03   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Folks, just now I bought the Sygic HUD for 303 INR. Its really fantastic. Works beautifully.
Since you tried on Nexus, can you please let me know if it's available for purchase at the Android store? If not there, do you mind sharing where else from? Personally, I am a big fan of Sygic and hence, cant wait to try it out. Thanks in advance!
Old 4th December 2013, 22:31   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Since you tried on Nexus, can you please let me know if it's available for purchase at the Android store? If not there, do you mind sharing where else from? Personally, I am a big fan of Sygic and hence, cant wait to try it out. Thanks in advance!
In Google Play Store you have two apps. One is MapMyIndia Sygic and the second is Sygic. What you need to do is download the Sygic app and then download the needed state maps. Within this app, and in My Sygic option, you get a buy HUD button, which takes you to Google's Play Store Payment Gateway...not to Play Store. You can finish off the purchase within the app itself. The HUD downloaded a couple of things and got activated immediately. Note that MapMyIndia Sygic app does not have this option. If Play Store says Sygic is installed, then click the Installed button AGAIN to install the app. Weird, but it works. Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes.

I use only Google Play Store. Haven't tried on other Android Stores like Amazons etc.
Old 4th December 2013, 22:45   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Guys please take all navigation aids with a pinch of salt. All tools are very good servants. But they can turn out to be very bad masters.

Its always good to do your home work online/off-line then and use GPS aids to direct you the point which you ask it to lead.
Very well said. This post should be on the top of every page in this thread - like a sticky post.

This can not be stressed enough. Its (GPS App) just a tool to aid in your planning. You have to thoroughly review the plans suggested, plot an optimal path, save it, activate it and do ded reckoning, all along the way.
Old 4th December 2013, 22:47   #90
Senior - BHPian

I have the paid version of MapMyIndia Sygic and funnily enough I do not get the HUD option while the free version gets it. Wonder why.

Most Viewed