Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2016, 00:30   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Amazon Prime Video in India!

I viewed my first movie on Amazon Prime. Since the website is acting funny on my laptop, installed Amazon Prime app on my android tab and the movie played fine. Good quality, quick streaming. What I loved is

1. When the movie is playing, it shows the actor name / character name when they come in the frame.

2. There is a resume button (to start from where we stopped) and works well. I stopped the movie on tab and tried on laptop, it showed resume from where I had stopped on tab (the user is signed in)

3. Shows the name of the song when it's being played

4. Also shows some trivia when the movie is running

5. Option to download the movie (for offline watching I guess), just like hotstar

Overall, a positive experience with the first movie. Hope they bring in much newer titles and also more titles.

There are no Malayalam movies in the list, that's a negative for me. However, Hotstar will come for my rescue there. Fact is, I feel 499/- is an extremely cheap package for a 1 year subscription which will come handy for other purchases also on the website.

Hotstar is an equally compelling proposition with it's bunch of new (hit) free movies. But the premium service is expensive by almost 1.5 times than Prime, at 1200/- per year. Let's see if they bring in any interesting package to counter this attack.

However, we, customers are blessed with such options being launched.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th December 2016 at 00:32.
Old 16th December 2016, 10:11   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
5. Option to download the movie (for offline watching I guess), just like hotstar
Have tried it yesterday.

Streaming was very smooth even at low bandwidths on 4G.

Can you kindly educate how to download for offline view ? Noticed the option in settings, but couldn't download anyone.

Appreciate help
Old 16th December 2016, 10:17   #18
BHPian

Any idea how much bandwidth does a HD stream use (say 720p)?

I saw a plan on BSNL with no volume limits, but limits bandwidth to 2Mbps. Wondering if it makes sense now with so many OTT options.
Old 16th December 2016, 10:19   #19
BHPian

I viewed my first movie yesterday (Kabali), enroute home (hey no, I was not driving ). Quality is very good and it streams very well compared to Hotstar. I used the fast forward 10 seconds option quite a few times, it works very well without any buffering, wherein it used to take 5 seconds of buffering in Hotstar to forward 10 seconds
Old 16th December 2016, 11:16   #20
rbp
BHPian

I have the Amazon Fire Stick, I have linked my Amazon Account [is prime enabled] on the stick, but still only the US content shows up. Is there anything else that I should be doing?
Old 16th December 2016, 11:54   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Any idea how much bandwidth does a HD stream use (say 720p)?
According to Amazon, here are the bandwidth requirements:

-Standard Definition (SD) videos: 900 Kbits/sec
-High Definition (HD) videos: 3.5 Mbits/sec
Old 16th December 2016, 12:06   #22
BHPian

Another info - Amaozn does not support chrome-cast devices. You can however mirror your laptop screen - but generally the results are bad.

A Fire TV stick bought from US does also not work as of now. They might start selling those in India. On the phone, I feel there is a stutter while playing videos.
Old 16th December 2016, 12:27   #23
rbp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Another info - Amaozn does not support chrome-cast devices. You can however mirror your laptop screen - but generally the results are bad.

A Fire TV stick bought from US does also not work as of now. They might start selling those in India. On the phone, I feel there is a stutter while playing videos.
Thanks for confirming that the US brought fire sticks don't work but it is weird for sure.

Regarding stuttering on the phone, I played kabali and it ran without a hitch, extremely smooth, by the way I have a 75Mbps ACT fibernet.
Old 16th December 2016, 13:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Thanks for confirming that the US brought fire sticks don't work but it is weird for sure.

Regarding stuttering on the phone, I played kabali and it ran without a hitch, extremely smooth, by the way I have a 75Mbps ACT fibernet.
I downloaded an episode of a series, wan't even streaming. I don't know how practical is it for anyone to consume slightly lengthier media on a phone. I mean I find it unsatisfying to view it even on a laptop - just does not do justice. Things on youtube are perfect for a phone (small, funny, news videos).
Old 16th December 2016, 13:40   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I downloaded the Amazon Prime video app and as expected , there's no chromecast support in the app . Casting the entire screen is no good really.

Wishful to think that chromecast support will be added in the future . I guess Amazon will start selling their fire stick soon .
I am already a Prime member, but without Chromecast, I have not even attemped to watch any content.
Amazon if you are listening, add chromecast support at the earliest.
Old 16th December 2016, 13:42   #26
BHPian

Has anyone tried streaming The Grand Tour in 4K, does it work? I have LeTV X55 and decent enough internet, around 20m speed! 1080p has been good but I want to watch 4k!
Old 16th December 2016, 15:30   #27
BHPian

Any idea if Roku is supported ?
Old 16th December 2016, 22:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

I took the plunge and enrolled for 1 month free trial. Since there is no commitment required and no credit card details given, its a free trial for 1 month and thereafter if i need to renew i will have to explicitly pay Rs. 499 for 1 year.

But sad to see no Chromecast option.
Old 16th December 2016, 22:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I took the plunge and enrolled for 1 month free trial. Since there is no commitment required and no credit card details given, its a free trial for 1 month and thereafter if i need to renew i will have to explicitly pay Rs. 499 for 1 year.

But sad to see no Chromecast option.
I wonder if i can enroll for the free trial on amazon.in, and use it in Ireland?

amazon.co.uk asks for a credit card for the free trial.
Old 17th December 2016, 14:24   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

After 2-3 days of struggle, finally was able to stream "FAN" on my desktop. However, the quality was so bad that I chose to close it after watching for just 10 mins. I think they are still working on the desktop application. This is so in contrast to the Android app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
...Can you kindly educate how to download for offline view ? Noticed the option in settings, but couldn't download anyone.

Appreciate help
I am not too frequent on the Android. Let me check this next time I use this tab and get back to you. Gonna take a couple of days though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks