Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 18:10   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
I have been using ADSL connection since so many years and last month I finally decided to go for FTTH.
Few days back, the couple of guys came and laid the optical cable to my house.

Can someone tell me, what are the next steps? Any action required from my side? I asked this to the person who came for cabling, they told me to contact BSNL.
Also, do I need to buy the modem/router from BSNL only? Or can I buy on my own?
Any other things that I need to be aware of?
The BSNL person will come and terminate the connection from the black fiber cable into a small white fiber box. The output of the fiber box will be a thin yellow cable with green end which will plug into the ONT router.

You need to buy the ONT router from BSNL only. Cost me around 2800 IIRC. They do not know how to configure any other ONT device. They gave ONT router from company called Genexis. Wifi coverage is poor. So if you want extended coverage then turn off the Wifi and connect an external wifi router to it.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 18:13   #902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
They do not know how to configure any other ONT device..
Hard-coded for BSNL, these fibre modems. Soon after I got my FTTH, I had tried to look up the specs and search for compatible modems. But then gave up that approach.

Using a separate wireless router is the way to go.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 18:41   #903
BHPian

Quote:
The BSNL person will come and terminate the connection from the black fiber cable into a small white fiber box. The output of the fiber box will be a thin yellow cable with green end which will plug into the ONT router.
This task has been completed by the cable person. Now, the yellow cable with blue end is lying on my table.

Quote:
You need to buy the ONT router from BSNL only. Cost me around 2800 IIRC. They do not know how to configure any other ONT device. They gave ONT router from company called Genexis. Wifi coverage is poor. So if you want extended coverage then turn off the Wifi and connect an external wifi router to it.
After I posted my message here, I got a call from BSNL person. She asked me to send my Aadhar, emails ID and passport size photo through whatsapp. She also told me that the modem will cost Rs3500. I forgot to ask her if I can buy the modem from outside. But it looks like it is not possible. Not an issue, I do have one spare wifi router. So, I will connect it to the modem and use it.
Thanks for your response.
Old 13th December 2021, 23:13   #904
BHPian

I got router from a company called Alphion (1443) (cost me 3.5k and no bill till today). Connection via cable is good with 100+ mbps but WiFi is a pain. Starts with 80+ mbps and gradually goes down to 0.5 mbps. Calling the franchisee results in resetting from their end which gets back to the speed. Sometimes power off/on does the work but this has become a daily chore. When called they said someone will attend but none turned up. Today registered complaint in BSNL site but I suppose it was routed to the same guys who promptly reset the router and closed the complaint. Now what? Anyting I can do on my own?
Old 14th December 2021, 11:16   #905
BHPian

I spoke to the BSNL person and I have been told that this (https://www.amazon.in/Netlink-HG323D...9460575&sr=8-1) is the modem that they are going to provide. I also raised my concern about the wifi issues with that person. For that she said, those issues will not be there with this modem. I need to pay 3500 for this modem and out of which 2000 will be refunded at the time of disconnection.
kavensri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:37   #906
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using ADSL connection since so many years and last month I finally decided to go for FTTH.
Few days back, the couple of guys came and laid the optical cable to my house.

Can someone tell me, what are the next steps? Any action required from my side? I asked this to the person who came for cabling, they told me to contact BSNL.
Also, do I need to buy the modem/router from BSNL only? Or can I buy on my own?
Any other things that I need to be aware of?
I migrated from BSNL ADSL to FTTH almost a year ago.

Being a central government organization, the process was not so seamless.

I had to visit the nearest BSNL office, hand over them an application for conversion. This is needed to convert the existing Caution deposit to new account. I also retained my existing Landline # as it was a bit fancy.
For every zone, they have a 3rd party contractor who carries out this job of laying cable and establishing connection and configuration.

In the link below, you will find the list of FTTH ONTs that support BSNL connection.
https://bsnlteleservices.com/ftth-gp...configuration/
You wouldn't have have any such names in any online portals like Amazon or Flipkart etc. You have to buy the Modem only from the Contractor to avoid headache of configuring and ASS. You may do some research on choosing the right one.

So, the set-up I have made in my home is as below;
Alphion ASEE 1443 (Modem) + TPLink Archer C6 (Router) + TPLink Extender for multiple floors

The Wifi in the BSNL modem is a bit weaker for longer ranges, hence had to opt for a separate router. Take care on pairing between modem and router by defining the router as access points for all network connections and preferably keep the modem wifi in off condition.

Hope this helps !!
Rolling_Stock is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 14:41   #907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoLXI View Post
I got router from a company called Alphion (1443) (cost me 3.5k and no bill till today). Connection via cable is good with 100+ mbps but WiFi is a pain. Starts with 80+ mbps and gradually goes down to 0.5 mbps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolling_Stock View Post
So, the set-up I have made in my home is as below;
Alphion ASEE 1443 (Modem) + TPLink Archer C6 (Router) + TPLink Extender for multiple floors

The Wifi in the BSNL modem is a bit weaker for longer ranges, hence had to opt for a separate router. Take care on pairing between modem and router by defining the router as access points for all network connections and preferably keep the modem wifi in off condition.
Did you purchase the PLink Archer C6 (Router) and TPLink Extender separately? Any assistance needed from BSNL for the configuration?
Old 14th December 2021, 18:01   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Did you purchase the PLink Archer C6 (Router) and TPLink Extender separately? Any assistance needed from BSNL for the configuration?
Responding out of turn.

I got the wifi router on my own.

you need to configure the BSNL modem to modem only (with no wifi) and make the TPLink the wifi - this gives you much better coverage.

Hope this helps.
sanjbmw2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:19   #909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjbmw2001 View Post
Responding out of turn.

I got the wifi router on my own.

you need to configure the BSNL modem to modem only (with no wifi) and make the TPLink the wifi - this gives you much better coverage.

Hope this helps.
How do I turn the WiFi off on Alphion ASEE 1443? Do I login (192.168.1.1) and change or a connection via ethernet cable to external router do?
Old 14th December 2021, 18:59   #910
BHPian

Quote:
How do I turn the WiFi off on Alphion ASEE 1443? Do I login (192.168.1.1) and change or a connection via ethernet cable to external router do?
you need to into configuration to switch off Wifi and just use it as a modem. then connect a normal Lan to the wifi router and you are good to go.
sanjbmw2001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 19:22   #911
BHPian

Quote:
This is needed to convert the existing Caution deposit to new account. I also retained my existing Landline # as it was a bit fancy.
Few minutes back, I got an email from BSNL with the new landline number, user name and password. Even I have an existing landline number which I have been using since more than 20 years now. I hope I can link this new FTTH connection to my existing landline number.

Quote:
In the link below, you will find the list of FTTH ONTs that support BSNL connection.
https://bsnlteleservices.com/ftth-gp...configuration/
Thanks a lot for this information. I have been told that they will get HG323DAC modem from Net Link. They also told me that this modem does not have any issues with the wifi.
Quote:
Hope this helps !!
I do have one spare wireless router and wireless repeater with me. So, in case i find the range to be insufficient, I will use these devices to extend the range.
Thanks again for all the information.
Old 14th December 2021, 21:03   #912
BHPian

Quote:
Few minutes back, I got an email from BSNL with the new landline number, user name and password. Even I have an existing landline number which I have been using since more than 20 years now. I hope I can link this new FTTH connection to my existing landline number.
The new landline will be specific to the FTTH connection. The existing LL will remain unchanged.

Regarding integrating Modem and Router, I found the below YouTube link useful.

I'm happy with the BSNL FTTH connection. I had faced network downtime mostly because of Server issues and these were very seldom.
Rolling_Stock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:13   #913
BHPian

Quote:
I bought the Router and Extender from Amazon. Thanks to WFH package given by my wife's company.
I did the configuration myself using the YouTube video shared in my earlier post.

Cheers !!
Rolling_Stock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 12:05   #914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

You need to send the disconnection request for the old landline number. BSNL provides an option to map your old number to your new number at Rs.30 per month. So calls to the old number will get redirected to new number. No headache of informing everyone that your number has changed
Old 15th December 2021, 12:14   #915
BHPian

Quote:
You need to send the disconnection request for the old landline number. BSNL provides an option to map your old number to your new number at Rs.30 per month. So calls to the old number will get redirected to new number. No headache of informing everyone that your number has changed
Thanks for the information. I will explore that option if they are not able to get back my old landline number linked to this FTTH connection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks