Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 10:27   #796
Senior - BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

One of my friends is using a BSNL BB 4 mbps connection. He is getting pathetic download speeds, sometimes in the order of few bytes per second.

Attaching a screenshot of the SNR stats from his modem - can any experts comment on these numbers, whether they are in the normal range or not.

BSNL BroadBand Issues-dsl2750ustatus.jpg
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:42   #797
BHPian

I just disconnected my BSNL 4 MBPS broadband connection, after being their loyal customer with them for more than 14 years.

I was having problems with speeds being very low and disconnection every few minutes for the past many months. Even after many complaints they never bothered to solve the problem.

Presently switched to using 3G by using my mobiles as a WiFi hotspot, not fast but works.

BSNL has gone back to being a 1970's type pathetic government-company.
Old 3rd April 2014, 13:04   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
I just disconnected my BSNL 4 MBPS broadband connection, after being their loyal customer with them for more than 14 years.

I was having problems with speeds being very low and disconnection every few minutes for the past many months. Even after many complaints they never bothered to solve the problem.

Presently switched to using 3G by using my mobiles as a WiFi hotspot, not fast but works.

BSNL has gone back to being a 1970's type pathetic government-company.
I am planning to disconnect my connection too. Will be retaining only the landline.
Could you help me out with the disconnection procedure? Is it possible online or physical presence at their office is required?
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:35   #799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
I am planning to disconnect my connection too. Will be retaining only the landline.
Could you help me out with the disconnection procedure? Is it possible online or physical presence at their office is required?
I had written a letter and hand-delivered it to their office.
It was disconnected a few minutes after they received my letter (surprisingly fast!).

I had completely cancelled including the landline for voice calls, I did not want anything to do with them.

There was also a facility on their web-site for submitting this request, but I doubt its speed, because the more the delay the more you pay for non-usage.

Now I am waiting for the refund of my security-deposit which may take months.

The last-mile wiring to my home remains as-it-is, I don't think they will bother to remove them (since they are a government-company).
Old 3rd April 2014, 18:50   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
One of my friends is using a BSNL BB 4 mbps connection. He is getting pathetic download speeds, sometimes in the order of few bytes per second.

Attaching a screenshot of the SNR stats from his modem - can any experts comment on these numbers, whether they are in the normal range or not.

Attachment 1226137
It looks like his connection is configured for 2.1 Mbps. Attainable rate downstream+upstream should be 4mbps. This normal for BSNL to cheat customer by deliberate configure lower speed but charge more. Going to nodal/appalete authority has no effect. Ideal way of resolving the problem is raise a complaint in http://www.pgportal.gov.in/ under department of telcome against BSNL. The issue will be resolved in no-time (says 2 days!).
Old 3rd April 2014, 22:36   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
This normal for BSNL to cheat customer by deliberate configure lower speed but charge more.
Getting low speed and other issues is one thing, but cheating is definitely not BSNL trait. Most likely it will be inadvertent mistake but once represented they will try to fix it (you will get solution for your problem is luck though).

BTW, the speeds of broadband are always "upto xMbps". Depending on number of users logged-in at that time, the speed differs.
Old 4th April 2014, 09:23   #802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamswift View Post
Getting low speed and other issues is one thing, but cheating is definitely not BSNL trait. Most likely it will be inadvertent mistake but once represented they will try to fix it (you will get solution for your problem is luck though).

BTW, the speeds of broadband are always "upto xMbps". Depending on number of users logged-in at that time, the speed differs.
Sorry! I don't agree with BSNL doing wrong configuration "inadvertently"! My experience with five different users (including me) who took 4Mbps plan having wrong configuration. They will promptly update your account with 4 Mbps plan, however same changes in backend is forgotten!

As I stated in my mail getting things fixed by approaching them is herculean task. But if you go to PGportal, your chances of success is high!

The speed is always between your modem to their server. And should always be near to plan speed as per TRAI.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:20   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Share your story when it is 'finally' disconnected.

Here is my story:
1. Paid annual charges in advance, as per advice from bsnl about discount (need to pay only for 10 months as annual charges if paid upfront)
2. Broadband was disconnected promptly after 10 months and one week, citing 'lack of payment'.
3. Calls bsnl helpline, asked to call in another number. Called that number, asked to call yet another number. Gets a reply over phone-"We will check and let you know". Nothing happens for two weeks and my broadband remains disconnected, so I call the same number again. This time asked to call a series of another set of phone numbers. This goes on for 2 months, and finally one bsnl person gives me a relevation, "You need to come here in person. We need to see your face, you see."
4. Goes to BSNL office, and explains. "Your annual payment is not shown on our COMPUTER." Luckily, I have the bill. After a lot of internal discussion, someone shows up at the desk, and informs me "Nothing can be done for the previous payment, but if you pay upfront for another year now (!), you need to pay only for 10 months". I said I do not need a reconnection, hence they can close my account. I ask for acknowledgement of disconnection, and get a reply "bsnl does not provide acknowledgements. Everything is there in our COMPUTER".
5. Another 3 months pass, suddently I get a letter asking for pending payment (Rs 1200+). The same cycle repeats. Finally, in the interest of my time, I agree for paying the amount if they provide me an acknowledgement for disconnection. I proudly walk home with the acknowledgement.
6. Another 4 months pass. I get a new letter, this time from the collector for pending payment and for initiating legal proceedings (Rs 689). The above cycle continues. Finally I asked my dad to visit a senior employee of bsnl, who was his student. Dad spent an hour explaining to him, and also made me explain to him over call. He has promised that 'no further notices will come to you, everything is solved.

God knows whether this is really solved or not. I have also lost the 1000 Rs refundable deposit, because "it is not showing in our COMPUTER" and I have misplaced the original bill that was received 5 years back.

PS: Though I was using the broadband, the connection was in dad's name. He didn't want to be bothered all the time, hence the 'compromise' for some extra payment 'if the issue gets solved once and for all'.
Similar incident happened to my friend in Bangalore also, so I believe this is standard practice at bsnl.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 4th April 2014 at 10:27.
Old 4th April 2014, 11:12   #804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
God knows whether this is really solved or not. I have also lost the 1000 Rs refundable deposit, because "it is not showing in our COMPUTER" and I have misplaced the original bill that was received 5 years back.
For any termination get any kind of documentation, NOC etc from the vendor. And more importantly keep it with you for at least 5-6 years! It does not matter which vendor. All are of the same pack.

I had a Reliance Mobile CDMA when I shifted to Airtel. I knew this would come up. So at the time insisted and got all the papers. And true to their colours; after 4.5 years, I got notification asking for settlement of dues. All I had to do was send a scanned copy of document of No Dues and I got mail back from them stating they closed the issue. Now I hold that e-mail too!
Old 4th April 2014, 11:46   #805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
It does not matter which vendor. All are of the same pack.

I had a Reliance Mobile CDMA when I shifted to Airtel. I knew this would come up. So at the time insisted and got all the papers. And true to their colours; after 4.5 years, I got notification asking for settlement of dues. All I had to do was send a scanned copy of document of No Dues and I got mail back from them stating they closed the issue. Now I hold that e-mail too!
I think this is easier with private players. I had a similar issue (of final pending amount) with Tata Photon, which got resolved in a day after sending an email to their customer support. As per them, I had used my internet for 2 extra days, for which the extra payment letter was served. They waived this amount with just one email to the customer support. (As a good will gesture, we are waiving ....)

Compare that with bsnl where the issue persists after showing payment receipts and acknowledgements (multiple times).

Last edited by jinojohnt : 4th April 2014 at 11:49.
Old 5th April 2014, 07:25   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Share your story when it is 'finally' disconnected.
I have submitted an online request for disconnection. Today I will call their customer care with the request number. Let's see how things unfold here on. Will keep you updated.
Old 24th June 2014, 20:32   #807
BHPian

This story goes back to 2006 when my friend had opted for BSNL broadband. His connection came with a 250 rental plan which had a 3 month lock in period. After 1 month he wanted to change the plan to unlimited 900 (256 kbps flat). He went there but BSNL refused saying that 250 plan lock in period is 3 months. He finally convinced them saying that he is going to pay more. They changed his plan to UL900 finally.

After the bill came, he was shocked. The bill was 11000+ rupees. They billed him using old plan. Fortunately he had proof that he has changed the plan to UL900 and he went with a printout and got it settled to Rs. 1200.

Next bill came as 12500. Again same process. Finally he changed plan to Home 500 and then it stopped. BSNL is totally pathetic company just because the employees have secure jobs and they won't get fired for misleading customers.

However, in 2014, things have much improved. Just now heard that BSNL has made their Combo 650 plan a true 512 Kbps broadband with just 25 Rs. increase in rental. So for 675 Rs. (excluding service tax) monthly, you get 512 Kbps flat speed for whole month.

Going off topic, I have seen people in Mumbai using MTNL+Cablenet connections using Dual WAN failsafe routers. MTNL is offering good speeds but due to unreliable connections many people have opted for this workaround.
Old 25th June 2014, 11:04   #808
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
...BSNL is totally pathetic company just because the employees have secure jobs and they won't get fired for misleading customers...
+1 ! I had returned my modem, but kept getting bills saying that I did NOT return it and had to pay 2500/- or so. My luck; I had the acknowledgement bill for the device return and escaped because of that.

Thumb rule is, if you go for BSNL, please keep all your bills secure. Even better, if you can scan those and keep an online copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
...So for 675 Rs. (excluding service tax) monthly, you get 512 Kbps flat speed for whole month......
They have a cap on the download limit?
Old 25th June 2014, 14:01   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post

Attachment 1226137
This is because of bad attenuation figures. The attainable rate itself is low. No way he is going to get 4mbps on this line unless the line issue is resolved.
Old 25th June 2014, 15:25   #810
BHPian

Quote:
I have submitted an online request for disconnection. Today I will call their customer care with the request number. Let's see how things unfold here on. Will keep you updated.
how is the battle going? any update?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks