Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2012, 16:49   #706
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

In our new apartment, always faced burnt telephone lines and a unstable internet connection for a year. Today, the entire internal wiring was stripped and replaced with high quality CAT5 cable. Now it is doing wonders. @Clevermax, your attenuation is abnormal. Even with a screwed up line, I had lesser attenuation values. You should ideally have a high SNR value and less attenuation. Here are my stats:

SNR Margin (dB): 33.9 26.9
Attenuation (dB): 20.5 9.0
Output Power (dBm): 12.3 9.9
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 19266 1526
Rate (Kbps): 1996 496

Modem takes more time to get DSL if the line is bad. Usually, in this case, you can also experience line drop when you get a call or pick up the phone. You can run the net without splitter, but the telephone line will be noisy and also DSL will be unstable.

Last edited by audioholic : 11th August 2012 at 16:50.
Old 13th August 2012, 09:55   #707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Can anyone tell me whether anything off the limits here?

Attachment 967932

My DSL was down and I connected the modem without the splitter (filter) to the modem and DSL came up. I am not sure whether it is because of a bad filter or my luck. So, just wanted to check the SNR values.

EDIT: Now connected the modem via the splitter, no DSL.
EDIT2: DSL is up after few minutes, via splitter. This seems to be some other issue.

Question: If the splitter has gone bad, is this scenario likely? (Modem taking several minutes to bring DSL up)
Its probably your filter gone bad. Mostly because of oxide deposits on the contacts. Your SNR figures looks OK for the attenuation figures provided. Attenuation normally depends on the distance from exchange to your home, the farther you go higher the attenuation will become. Most DSL lines have a typical attenuation of about 14dB/km. You can have a safe and stable connection above 15dB SNR
Old 14th August 2012, 08:37   #708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
Its probably your filter gone bad. Mostly because of oxide deposits on the contacts. Your SNR figures looks OK for the attenuation figures provided. Attenuation normally depends on the distance from exchange to your home, the farther you go higher the attenuation will become. Most DSL lines have a typical attenuation of about 14dB/km. You can have a safe and stable connection above 15dB SNR
Thanks. Meanwhile, i have cleaned the filters pins and put it back. New observation is, irrespective of whether I connect using the filter or directly, it takes several hours for the dsl to be up. This seems like a different issue altogether. Any clue?

My upstream SNR seems to be very low (7db), is that the issue?

Last edited by clevermax : 14th August 2012 at 08:40.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:50   #709
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir, I had such a low SNR when my phone line was literally burnt to ashes. So please get the wiring checked. I too had the issue of the splitter contacts getting corroded. All solved after getting the wiring changed. Now, DSL lights up within half a minute.
Old 14th August 2012, 08:57   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
The tech guys had to personally visit & after changing the ZTE port (I specifically remember) the problem cured. My modem's DSL lamp wasn't getting stable.
Same case, how did you change ZTE port?

Also a query, I have been paying bills online, however am not getting 1% discount on subsequent bills. Any idea, whom to complain?
Old 14th August 2012, 09:47   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Meanwhile, i have cleaned the filters pins and put it back. New observation is, irrespective of whether I connect using the filter or directly, it takes several hours for the dsl to be up. This seems like a different issue altogether. Any clue?

My upstream SNR seems to be very low (7db), is that the issue?
Upstream SNR is OK I guess. I've had information that some modems report required SNR instead of actual (that is the SNR required by the DSLAM to sync the modem) . What is your modem model? Normally it hovers around 10dB in my DSL connection. Also, if you have a telephone connected, you can try this exercise.

1) Take up your receiver.
2) Toggle the hang up switch some 10-15 times in 2-3 seconds interval.

This will improve the signal power to an extend and reduce noise due to partially corroded coppers. If there is no telephone connected you can also try shorting the lines 10-15 times in short bursts
Old 14th August 2012, 10:16   #712
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Upstream SNR is OK I guess. I've had information that some modems report required SNR instead of actual (that is the SNR required by the DSLAM to sync the modem) . What is your modem model? Normally it hovers around 10dB in my DSL connection. Also, if you have a telephone connected, you can try this exercise.

1) Take up your receiver.
2) Toggle the hang up switch some 10-15 times in 2-3 seconds interval.

This will improve the signal power to an extend and reduce noise due to partially corroded coppers. If there is no telephone connected you can also try shorting the lines 10-15 times in short bursts
My modem is Terracom. Will update the actual model number when I get back home.

Yes, I tried shorting the lines few times (5 or 6 times in quick bursts) and also tried the telephone exercise already.. it doesn't seem to help. I guess line is alright because I could see small sparks while I short circuited.

The modem was connected the whole night, and sometime during the night, DSL came up. The thing is, we can't predict when it will be up - sometimes within 15 minutes of turning it on, and sometimes after several hours. However, DSL never comes up within a minute as it used to be.

Could it be a bust DSLAM port at the exchange?

Last edited by clevermax : 14th August 2012 at 10:17.
Old 14th August 2012, 10:20   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Could it be a bust DSLAM port at the exchange?
I was about to tell this. I had issues with broken DSLAM port at exchange and was fixed in a blink once the JE came to my home and asked technical team to change port at DSLAM
Old 14th August 2012, 10:27   #714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was about to tell this. I had issues with broken DSLAM port at exchange and was fixed in a blink once the JE came to my home and asked technical team to change port at DSLAM
Thanks! Now the most difficult part lies ahead - calling someone up and making them understand the issue and getting it sorted out. I hate doing this with BSNL... like everyone else
Old 14th August 2012, 10:34   #715
BHPian

I have been observing a strange problem lately. The connection seems to get disconnected too often (PVC-0 shows disconnected) DSL status shows green. I have to reboot the modem to set things right, sometimes it requires multiple reboots. Wonder if its the modem fault or the remote server is just throwing out the connection. Has anyone else faced the same problem?

PS: I took the modem to BSNL office, once it showed, its connected they said everything is fine (which was expected )
Old 14th August 2012, 10:52   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Now the most difficult part lies ahead - calling someone up and making them understand the issue and getting it sorted out. I hate doing this with BSNL... like everyone else
Don't ever try to tell them regarding port and all in their premises or in a phone call. The best way out is to make them come to your place, you can act like a total dumb The maximum you can say is that you had a friend with the same issue which was sorted out once something was changed in the exchange Once they come home and have a look at your statistics, the technical officer if knowledgeable will easily understand the situation.

Heres my story. There was constant signal drops in my DSL connection for a couple weeks and then it died completely. My SNR figures were around 25dB for downstream and 10dB for up. Being a telecommunications engineer by academics, I told the JTO that this may probably be a port issue at DSLAM and the he with all his arrogance and superiority complex never listened to me. As the connection in question was at my hometown where I visit only on weekends, I lost 3 whole weekends on this issue. He made my father carry their dumb modems from and to home three or four times after me telling them that the modem is not the issue. Finally I fed up and called up BSNL kerala GM at tvm (I don't know him in person) and guess what. There was a jeep full of technical people from BSNL at my door step in exactly less than 2 hours after the call. JTO came, called someone at exchange and told to change port, fixed the issue and during getting back to the jeep he asked me "Sir, how you know the GM"? I just smiled at him. A whole month of time waste was solved by mere a phone call to top.

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 14th August 2012 at 10:55.
Old 10th September 2012, 11:46   #717
Senior - BHPian

Why is the broadband usage details not showing up at the data.bsnl.in site? It's been a couple of months since it's acting like this. All I find is the download links to the self-care module, and that too nothing for Kerala. Even the DataFox tool for Chrome stopped working and I guess the DataFox tool takes data from data.bsnl.in.

Any alternatives to check up my broadband usage?
Old 10th September 2012, 12:08   #718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any alternatives to check up my broadband usage?

The details have been moved to Self care portal by BSNL and its a far more integrated service.

http://selfcare.sdc.bsnl.co.in/selfc...sdc.bsnl.co.in

Each zone has its own self care portal.

How is Airtel able to offer higher bandwidth, cheaper connection while BSNL is still stuck with slow connection and very low limits like 20G.

Paying 1500 in Airtel one can get the 4MBPS line for 75GIG while the 1350 connection has 4mbps for 20GIG.
Old 10th September 2012, 16:19   #719
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Paying 1500 in Airtel one can get the 4MBPS line for 75GIG while the 1350 connection has 4mbps for 20GIG.
In my city I have to pay 1399 for 30GB and 2Mbps bandwidth (Airtel). 1500 for 75GB seems to be a good plan. Which city?
Old 20th September 2012, 13:01   #720
BHPian

The power adapter for my BSNL modem (UT300R2U) has stpped working. It seems to be an unusual spec Output : 10V, 550mA - not able to find it in the local markets in Bangalore - Would anyone know from where I can source this adapter in Bangalore ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks