Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2013, 11:13   #751
BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

i am really frustrated with bsnl connection drops which happens mostly at 6:30pm and doesnt come up till 11:30pm atleast.
the bsnl customer care is pitching this issue with modem - reason cited was maybe the modem is 24hrs ON and might be faulty.
the modem is roughly 3 year old and so i am buying their argument.
but looks like this is very common issue.

any suggestions on how to handle this case?
also any modem that would not cost a bomb in case i need to purchase?
Old 15th January 2013, 12:58   #752
Senior - BHPian

I have been using the DLink 2750U with BSNL Broadband connection since late Dec 12. I haven't faced any signal dropping issues so far, even while using both the phone and the laptop simultaneously. The signal is less on my android phone compared to my laptop, even when both are kept at the same location. Hence it could be more to do with the phone (Sony Xperia Arc S) rather than the laptop.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:09   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
... bsnl connection drops which happens mostly at 6:30pm and doesnt come up till 11:30pm at least.
the bsnl customer care is pitching this issue with modem - reason cited was maybe the modem is 24hrs ON and might be faulty.
the modem is roughly 3 year old and so i am buying their argument ...
Unlikely. If it drops at 1830 and automatically reconnects after 2330, the modem cannot be faulty. If faulty, the modem wouldn't have retried in the intervening period and reconnected sometime after 2330.

The most common cause with BSNL ADSL modems is malfunction / failure due to overheating (I got one replaced today morning because of that). If your modem is rented from BSNL, you can get it replaced. I paid rental for 2 years (many years back); after that, the modem continues to appear under rental in the bill, but the rental is reversed. The advantage is immediate replacement - no questions asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
... I haven't faced any signal dropping issues so far, even while using both the phone and the laptop simultaneously. The signal is less on my android phone compared to my laptop, even when both are kept at the same location. ...
@longhorn, the problem faced by @chetans is ADSL connection dropping. You are referring to WiFi signal strength. Different things.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:19   #754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
I have been using the DLink 2750U with BSNL Broadband connection since late Dec 12. I haven't faced any signal dropping issues so far, even while using both the phone and the laptop simultaneously. The signal is less on my android phone compared to my laptop, even when both are kept at the same location. Hence it could be more to do with the phone (Sony Xperia Arc S) rather than the laptop.
Yes, in case of my phone Xperia Neo V, I also face the signal strenth issues. Only when you are within 2-3 feet of the router, it shows full signal. You move to the next room, it is barely showing one bar or none.

Last edited by shipnil : 15th January 2013 at 16:27.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:20   #755
BHPian

The bsnl guy visited my place and found that SNR margin is very less.

Details:

The modem is beetel 110TC1 and was able to update the firmware.
ADSL Firmware Version :FwVer:3.12.7.0_TC3086 HwVer:T14.F7_5.0
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin: 6.4 5.2 db
Line Attenuation: 50.0 26.5 db
Data Rate: 1335 316 kbps
Attainable Rate: 2308 308 kbps

Finally he suggested that there was problem with concealed wiring in society.
But the bsnl landline guy was talking very rudely over phone with the broadband guy.
Now i am supposed to talk to seniors to fix.

Last edited by chetans : 15th January 2013 at 16:30. Reason: details
Old 15th January 2013, 16:30   #756
BHPian

Quote:
the modem is beetel 110TC1 and was able to update the firmware.
Details:
ADSL Firmware Version :FwVer:3.12.7.0_TC3086 HwVer:T14.F7_5.0
Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin: 6.4 5.2 db
Line Attenuation: 50.0 26.5 db
Data Rate: 1335 316 kbps
Attainable Rate: 2308 308 kbps
The SNR figures are too low for a stable connection. You need to have at least 10db SNR for a seamless operation. It seems there is some issue with the splitter/line.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:35   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Unlikely. If it drops at 1830 and automatically reconnects after 2330, the modem cannot be faulty.
Exactly my thought. but just tried that option.

Quote:
The most common cause with BSNL ADSL modems is malfunction / failure due to overheating (I got one replaced today morning because of that). If your modem is rented from BSNL, you can get it replaced.
I was not aware of the heating issue.
And the modem was purchased by me some 2 yrs back.

Quote:
@longhorn, the problem faced by @chetans is ADSL connection dropping. You are referring to WiFi signal strength. Different things.
Initially i did think it might be router-wifi issue. so totally stopped using router. now my laptop is directly connected to modem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
The SNR figures are too low for a stable connection. You need to have at least 10db SNR for a seamless operation. It seems there is some issue with the splitter/line.
I think i can replace the splitter. any idea which one is good?

(i had recently purchased some ordinary splitter from an local shop)

Quote:
I think i can replace the splitter. any idea which one is good?

(i had recently purchased some ordinary splitter from an local shop)
I tried by directly connecting the line to the modem without splitter.
even then got same snr values.

So must be line issue as mentioned by the bsnl broadband guy.

Last edited by DerAlte : 15th January 2013 at 17:12.
Old 15th January 2013, 17:18   #758
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I tried by directly connecting the line to the modem without splitter.
even then got same snr values.

So must be line issue as mentioned by the bsnl broadband guy.
The BSNL guy IS right about the cabling. You need to get your hands dirty and ask the society's maintenance guy to show you where the MDB is for your flat. You just have to get your cable connection crimped again.

Ask the BSNL guys to give you a good splitter, instead of buying elsewhere. But, the splitter is seldom a cause for bad SNR, since the connector is RJ11 and not crimping.
Old 19th January 2013, 17:51   #759
BHPian

Hi Fellas!!

This is not releated to BSNL but Tata Indicom Broadband. Need your Help. I have a Tata Indicom Broadband connection in my office which goes into a belkin router and then 3 machines are wired and 1 wireless connected to Belkin. Offlate there have been issues like mails with attachments are not going. When i connect the tata cable directly to my laptop it works perfectly alright. I thought that the router might have conked off so i bought a new Netgear N150 wireless router, but the problem still persists.

Can you tell me a solution for this. One more thing might sound like a dumb question but if i remove the tata connection will i also have to let go of the mail id which was provided by them.

Cheers..

Last edited by The_Warrior : 19th January 2013 at 17:51. Reason: text edit
Old 19th January 2013, 18:31   #760
BHPian

Quote:
i am really frustrated with bsnl connection drops which happens mostly at 6:30pm and doesnt come up till 11:30pm atleast.
the modem is roughly 3 year old and so i am buying their argument.
but looks like this is very common issue.

any suggestions on how to handle this case?
also any modem that would not cost a bomb in case i need to purchase?
I too had this problem with my old modem with BSNL. I purchased a new DLink 2750U modem (from Flipkart) and since then it seem to working normally (touch wood).

Came across 2 modems/wifi routers today on desidime.com which are on offer, which I thought of sharing:

Zyxel@1407rs - http://www.desidime.com/forums/hot-d...years-warranty

Asus@1600rs - http://www.desidime.com/forums/hot-d...em-router-1600

@mods: Back to back posts (but one from yesterday & this from today). Pl. merge them.

Last edited by DerAlte : 20th January 2013 at 10:41. Reason: Merged as per OP's request
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:16   #761
BHPian

I have broadband with speed, rather claimed, of 4 mbps. I rarely touch 1mbps. When I showed this to BSNL employees they said it was problem of my Computer since it is not Windows. When I showed the same on my PC, they still said it was problem of my Mac and that is why I don't get 4mbps. Since 6 months, they haven't resolved this and worst part is I am forced to be with BSNL.
Old 23rd January 2013, 21:37   #762
Distinguished - BHPian

Have you checked the line quality? What SNR and attenuation are you having? I have a promised speed of 2mbps but I am provided 1.5mbps at all times. Next time the bsnl guy comes, go to the modem webpage where the current rate will be displayed. In my place it is displayed as 2048 kbps. Check what is your rate. If it displays less than 4096 kbps, then you will have a valid proof.
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:25   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I too had this problem with my old modem with BSNL. I purchased a new DLink 2750U modem (from Flipkart) and since then it seem to working normally (touch wood).
I am having this connection drop issues after i moved to DLink D2750U Modem+Router. I am on BSNL DateOne 750 Plan. What could be the issue here? Could anyone share the best settings for this brand of modem+router?
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:31   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I am having this connection drop issues after i moved to DLink D2750U Modem+Router. I am on BSNL DateOne 750 Plan. What could be the issue here? Could anyone share the best settings for this brand of modem+router?
I suspect it is an issue at the BSNL end. I too was facing resync issues last week with the modem coupled with dns issues (which makes me suspect BSNL). It was perfectly stable all yesterday and since morning today.
Old 23rd March 2013, 11:42   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
I suspect it is an issue at the BSNL end. I too was facing resync issues last week with the modem coupled with dns issues (which makes me suspect BSNL). It was perfectly stable all yesterday and since morning today.
Well, the symptoms are similar. But i had few drops y'day also. I suspected Modem+Router coz i upgraded to D2750U couple of weeks back. And yes, i have pointed the modem to google DNS servers. Much better!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks