Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2016, 22:23   #856
BANNED

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

BSNL service is highly location dependent. My experience is that as long as it works, it is excellent. But even God may not be able to do much if it fails. The problem is both the exchange staff and the line man. In the 100m or so of line from the box once I found two places where the wire had been cut and twisted together. At the box also wires are not properly punched just twisted together. When we put in ADSL on IIT Campus (now it all Gigabit fibre) we did some testing (by some Bangalore experts), and the biggest issue found was improper wire joints. So given the 'expertise' of their linemen they are incapable of providing any broadband service.

After some two years I surrendered broadband and they also disabled my landline. After about two months I managed to catch the JE, and she coolly said, did you get your broadband removed. I said yes, but I had specifically asked for the Phone line to be kept. She said she can restore it with a new number, but the old number will take three weeks. I caught hold of a colleague who is in some top DoT committees. He got it fixed in half an hour. I asked him, what was the issue. He said they had disconnected on their own, and restoring means informing the centre in Chandigarh. By giving me a fresh number they will make it appear as a number change at the customer's request, else they have to explain. As it happens in our colony most of the people off the main road have either not taken or surrendered their BSNL lines due to poor to non-existent service.

Yes, I know BSNL in Manipal is good. My son had Airtel for many years, and then he moved into a building where Airtel had no spare capacity. So he had to get BSNL and the service was excellent. Two lightening strikes killed the modems, and they were changed (on payment of course) within half a day.

Now in Gurugram they had Nextra for over two years (fibre into the flat) and except if a breakdown was over the weekend the service was good. They changed flats, and Nextra were being stroppy, 'Sir it will take a minimum of eight days'. So he went to ADSL on Airtel, and for the month or so I was there it worked quite nicely. Only every power outage the service will also go off or a minute. There are a lot of IT couples there and have two connections just to be sure.

I have another issue, if your phone goes then so does the broadband. BSNL are talking of fibre to home, but I am a pucca skeptic, since the skill levels of the staff are very variable.

Last edited by sgiitk : 17th June 2016 at 22:26.
Old 17th June 2016, 22:29   #857
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
.. and restoring means informing the centre in Chandigarh.
Dont think it goes to that extent. Just that reconnection goes through more checks for un-paid dues. So if they follow their normal process, they take time - upto 2 weeks, as seen in a recent experience.
Old 18th August 2016, 18:28   #858
Senior - BHPian

I am using the BSNL broadband through my landline since last 13 years. I have good experience about speed and reliability.

It failed seldom and in Pune we have 3 landline help numbers available to make a complaint. Mostly, they would get the problem resolved on phone itself.

If the problem is with the line, then booking a complaint on 1500 is enough. The problem gets solved without follow-up and I never had to pay any chai - paani to any staff.

Last edited by aah78 : 13th November 2016 at 02:59. Reason: Typo.
Old 18th August 2016, 18:43   #859
Distinguished - BHPian

Been with BSNL since Aug 2006, over the past 10 years I have found it to be quite reliable provided you don't have line related issues.

If there are line issues then one is up a gum tree because lines-men don't have the wherewithal and will to fix issues. I had to get the twisted pair cables from the building junction box to my residence changed twice over the past decade.

Luckily the underground cable to the cabinet outside the colony is noise free. Even so I experience carrier drops a few times a day, courtesy of the sub par DSLAM they use. The exchange engineer told me the card requires reseating every few days.

They have now increased both data and minimum FUP speeds. Overall I am happy with the service. It now serves as a backup/fallback link on my router/firewall.

Will I recommend BSNL? Well, that's a tough one because of the inconsistency of their services. YMMV applies to BSNL more often than to other providers.
Old 11th November 2016, 23:49   #860
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MTNL's (and BSNL's?) Combo plan for broadband

List of the Many Many plans that BSNL has !!

http://easymylife.co.in/broadband/

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I have BB Combo 675 plan and its 1 GB FUP limit is now 2 GB. .
@Turbodude, can you pls check your latest bill and let me know if your 675 plan has been changed into any other plan ( 875, may be ) ?

My latest bill seems to have something other than (but close) to what I remember asking for.

Last edited by condor : 11th November 2016 at 23:52.
Old 12th November 2016, 21:29   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
List of the Many Many plans that BSNL has !!
@Turbodude, can you pls check your latest bill and let me know if your 675 plan has been changed into any other plan ( 875, may be ) ?
Dear Condor, I have changed my landline plan recently to BBG Combo ULD 499 which now offers upto 2 Mbps speed till 2 GB and upto 1 Mbps thereafter. Free calls facility from 9 pm-7 am plus Sunday whole day is still there but no extra free calls like there were 100 in BBG Combo ULD 675.

Now they have increased the limit from 2 GB to 5 GB for BBG Combo ULD 675. But I am happy because my telephone bill dropped to 574 rupees from 776 .
Old 13th November 2016, 01:24   #862
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Condor, I have changed my landline plan recently to BBG Combo ULD 499 which now offers upto 2 Mbps speed till 2 GB and upto 1 Mbps thereafter. Free calls facility from 9 pm-7 am plus Sunday whole day is still there but no extra free calls like there were 100 in BBG Combo ULD 675.

Now they have increased the limit from 2 GB to 5 GB for BBG Combo ULD 675. But I am happy because my telephone bill dropped to 574 rupees from 776 .
As you are from Pune this might be of your interest - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4037979
(₹645 per month 10 GB @4mbps & 1mbps thereafter)
Old 13th November 2016, 03:18   #863
BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
As you are from Pune this might be of your interest - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post4037979
(₹645 per month 10 GB @4mbps & 1mbps thereafter)
Guys, can you tell me which modem+router you all are using for your BSNL BB.
I have to get one soon for myself as I'm unnecessarily coughing up 110 INR per month as modem rent since I don't know how long.
Old 13th November 2016, 07:11   #864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Guys, can you tell me which modem+router you all are using for your BSNL BB..
I have used D-Link & ASUS without any problems.
Old 13th November 2016, 07:56   #865
BHPian

Quote:
Using Huawei wa1003a (bought from BSNL 11 years ago).
Old 13th November 2016, 09:00   #866
BHPian

Quote:
I have to get one soon for myself as I'm unnecessarily coughing up 110 INR per month as modem rent since I don't know how long.
I have two bsnl connections, I am using dlink for both. Dlink is quite reliable. Tp link is also good.
Old 18th December 2016, 07:59   #867
BHPian

Ever since I switched to ACT, the BSNL broadband was a backup. Thanks to Vardah, the ACT cable is fallen off at multiple places. I expect them to take a couple of more days for it to be restored.

So yesterday I tried bsnl, and found that the DSL indicator/light is solid indicating the line is available, but the internet is down. I checked for possible settings and did not find anything changed. Anyone could help if any settings has changed in the last 12 months ? The last change I had done was the login id was changed from userid@bsnl to just the userid

Also need help in setting the adsl network to be setup as a fallback on the RT-AC87U (AC2400) used for ACT. The ADSL line is connected to DSL-N55U.

Last edited by raghu.t.k : 18th December 2016 at 08:02.
Old 18th June 2018, 15:08   #868
Senior - BHPian

This might be off-topic, but didn't find a better place.

My question is, can one use BSNL's broadband service alone and surrender the land line connection? This is in Kerala.
Old 25th June 2018, 22:06   #869
BANNED

No. your phone no. is a part of the Login id for broadband pppoE. Choose your data plan wisely. Like in some combo plans. You can avoid rentals that way.

Just for record, I am actually on the waitlist for a fiber optic BB. 4 months now.
Old 25th June 2018, 23:03   #870
BHPian

Finally after suffering for many years with BSNL broadband, I switched to Airtel V Fiber. Life has been so good ever since and the service is absolutely fantastic. Had some trouble in getting the local team to visit our premises for feasibility check, but no complaints otherwise.

For me, the only thing that worked with BSNL was their billing system, nothing else. No, I'm not joking. Decided to dump it when it reached a level where escalating issues to even the highest possible levels (pgportal, KL circle head etc) didn't help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks