Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2012, 13:37   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BSNL BroadBand Issues

@krish, take the modem & the adapter to SP road. Ask around & once you find an adapter that fits, make sure that the modem powers up with the new adapter.

But if you are renting your modem, you can ask BSNL to replace it. Take it to the exchange office from where they attend to your complaints. (not the customer service center for your area)

Last edited by condor : 20th September 2012 at 13:38.
Old 20th September 2012, 13:40   #722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
The power adapter for my BSNL modem (UT300R2U) has stpped working. It seems to be an unusual spec Output : 10V, 550mA - not able to find it in the local markets in Bangalore - Would anyone know from where I can source this adapter in Bangalore ?
You can try for multi-voltage adapters. They're available in most electronic shops.
Old 20th September 2012, 17:05   #723
Senior - BHPian

Since you guys are talking about attenuation and noise, I think I should also check it up.
A few weeks ago, I had been facing a strange problem.
The DSL link used to go down after 7 PM or so. Basically the link would come up for a few seconds and then start blinking again and then dead. This cycle used to repeat till late night. Checking in the morning, everything would be back to normal.
I complained using 1500/ 1504, but there was no call back or anything.
Nowadays, that problem is almost gone.

I realized that I am using auto IP configuration in Windows so cannot reach the router on 192.68.1.1 (perhaps that was the IP by default).
Now, I might have to change IP settings on my computer first, then connect to the router and hopefully I remember the password for root.
Then I can report back my SNR and other values.

As an aside, I just did bluetooth tethering with my Idea 3G and the speed was incredibly fast. It left my 2Mbps BSNL connection far behind. And all this while I thought I had a fast Internet connection.

Edit: About the Selfcare portal
1. Works fine now with Chrome
2. Payment is not done on the same portal (not good)
3. Change of broadband plan cannot be done online (not good)
4. Can view last six months bills (good)
5. Usage data is available (good).

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th September 2012 at 17:08.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:47   #724
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish11 View Post
The power adapter for my BSNL modem (UT300R2U) has stpped working. It seems to be an unusual spec Output : 10V, 550mA - not able to find it in the local markets in Bangalore - Would anyone know from where I can source this adapter in Bangalore ?
I managed to get a power adapter with Output spec of 10V, 1A (required was 10V, 550mA). Have run the modem with this adapter for 4 hours last night without issues. Hope the higher current rating will not affect the modem in any way ???
Old 1st October 2012, 13:15   #725
BHPian

Need help folks. Was browsing this forum & googling other sites as well. But am still not sure. And thankfully - BSNL folks does not have a clue on - what am talking about !!!

1. I have a BSNL Broadband with ADSL modem purchased from them (AR800 V (the wifi enabled one) - is this type 2 ?).
2. This is fixed on Room 1 and the coverage gets limited/NIL - when we move to living / other room.
3. Want to extend the coverage. Hence, bought WIFI Range extender (Netgear - WN3000 RP (http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WN3000RP.aspx#)

4. Though the setup is simple & working fine, the extender does not connect to the router/modem.

Now, am thinking of Logical question - Is the BSNL Modem/Router capable/enabled to transmit to the extender or not ?.

(or) should i buy a new Router - replacing the BSNL one
(or) should i get another router but connect to BSNL modem/router through cable & then use extender

And any suggestions on the products ?.

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st October 2012, 13:29   #726
Senior - BHPian

@gjiyap1

I think it has to do with the set up more than anything. Would try out the wired version and see if that works. If that works then the wireless mode should be set up issue.

The extender simply extends the signal and does not require you to change the modem.
Old 1st October 2012, 15:23   #727
BHPian

Thanks VW2010.

You mean, connect the extender to BSNL Modem through ethernet ?.

The FAQ on Netgear user guide says
"
Will the Extender work if I connect it to the router with an Ethernet cable?
No. The Extender is designed to connect wirelessly to the router"

Just to clarify this further - my devices (laptop, mobile etc) are connecting good with BSNL router. And connection of those devices - to the extender is also fine. But just that the connection between the BSNL router & Extender is not happening.

But yes - let me try this as well. sometimes, user guides are not actually user guides

Last edited by gjiyap1 : 1st October 2012 at 15:27. Reason: formatting
Old 9th October 2012, 22:25   #728
BHPian

Let me share what my son did to connect his CPU to the wireless. At the one end he connected to USB cable,the wireless Dongle to pick signals from the router (BSNL's Nokia Siemens Router/Modem). He used multiple sets of USB cables and took right upto his CPU and connected it through the USB Port. Voila - he got very good connectivity using this method.

Hope this helps.
Old 10th October 2012, 10:03   #729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjiyap1 View Post
4. Though the setup is simple & working fine, the extender does not connect to the router/modem.

Now, am thinking of Logical question - Is the BSNL Modem/Router capable/enabled to transmit to the extender or not ?.

(
I don't think this has got anything to do with capabilities of the BSNL ADSL modem + router.
As far as that router is concerned, it does not know about the Extender equipment as a specialized equipment. The only knowledge it may get is the MAC address of the Extender device.

I assume you have tried everything described on this page:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21361

Can you disable encryption and then test?
Old 14th October 2012, 12:12   #730
BHPian

Thanks S_U_N.

Yes. Even I believe that. It is some silly setup issue and no one knows the solution....

The extender and router connecting good. It is only the extender not able to connect to internet !!!

We have tried options of various security/encryption method n without that as well. Result is same. I get call from net gear every second day asking for update. But sad - they are expecting me to solve the problem and tell them case closed :(.
Old 20th October 2012, 15:12   #731
Senior - BHPian

My Wifi Modem is Teracom, model number is t2-b-gawv1.4u10y-bi. Current firmware version is 10.4.3.12.12.

Anybody has any info on where to get the latest firmware for teracom modems? I am having a DSL issue for the last 3 months (It takes hours to get DSL steady after a restart). BSNL said they tried everything they can, and is blaming my modem. So I was wondering whether a firmware update can solve the issue.
Old 20th October 2012, 20:11   #732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
... I am having a DSL issue for the last 3 months (It takes hours to get DSL steady after a restart). BSNL said they tried everything they can, and is blaming my modem. So I was wondering whether a firmware update can solve the issue.
Was the modem provided by BSNL or did you buy it separately? Unfortunately, Teracom firmware is tied to BSNL (for BSNL supplies), and there are no other updates.

I got bugged of the overheating problems, and after 4 tries finally got one from BSNL in which everything works - ADSL, LAN and Wifi! Your only solution is to patiently pester the JE of your area to get a decent replacement.

The other issue could be line state after monsoons.
Old 21st October 2012, 02:49   #733
Senior - BHPian

Have had a very bad experience with their Teracom modem routers. Its pretty clear now that Teracom makes extremely low quality stuff. Even the senior technician from BSNL Dataone said the same thing. He also said that due to number of complaints from Teracom users, BSNL stopped sourcing further stock from Teracom.

And its not like I had issues with one piece. Four of them turned out to be faulty till date. Wasted a great deal of time with them, hence this brief review.

Brief list of number of issues experienced, some I never suspected could be caused by a router -

1) Prevented desktop from staying in standby mode (connected to ethernet port). I fear the modem may even damage the ethernet card/motherboard...

2) Smartphone would not reconnect to WiFi after the WiFI slept.

3) Slow and erratic throughput after few days/months of use.

4) Take a long time to get connected.

Design is also very poor - much bigger so occupies lot more desk space than most other modems. LED lights are so inset that you can only see them if you are directly in front of the modem.

I would caution anybody from wasting their money on these very poor quality products even if they are much cheaper. Recently some online sites have been selling them at a very tempting price. Not only do they not work properly and are not durable, its possible they may damage equipment.

Last edited by Raccoon : 21st October 2012 at 02:52.
Old 21st October 2012, 10:37   #734
BHPian

The terracom, Utstar and beetel models are abosolute crap and most of the models disconnect at an average of say 5 hours and takes ages to reconnect.
I tried all these and finally settled for the D-Link for a little premium.

So far its good which has got some nice set of features too especially a 3G device connectivity as backup if your main line is out of order.
Old 22nd October 2012, 02:17   #735
Senior - BHPian

Well, actually, UTStar is amongst the best modem-routers that BSNL has given, besides Huawei. Further, according to the BSNL tech, VMC is as bad as Terracom.

Currently using a BSNL UTStar. Even the software is better. This is the 2nd UTStar I'm using. Anyway, AFAIK, UTStar and even Huawei is not available in the market. So this is relevant only for those who are getting it from BSNL... which is unlikely now, as they seem to have stopped giving out new modems anyway. That's better than giving out garbage like Terracom and VMC.

Interestingly the better stuff - Huawei and UTStar are Chinese made and the worst - Terracom and VMC are Made in India. Shame!

Last edited by Raccoon : 22nd October 2012 at 02:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks