Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2008, 13:57   #901
Senior - BHPian

Would rather look at the latest Panasonic Plasma. They cost extra, but they are the best in the business. Look at them before you make a decision.
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:05   #902
BANNED

i dont mind getting panasonic the one im getting has contrast of 7000 while sony is 8000 rest all is same and so is the price. my budget is 40000 grey or bill i do not care from bombay itself. so advise. sony im getting for 33000 after exchange the v series im getting for 37000
Old 5th April 2008, 00:46   #903
Senior - BHPian

Best in Plasma Business is Pioneer, but they cost a bomb.
Panasonic is the next best option at a very good value for money offering and is also a
market leader
Old 5th April 2008, 09:14   #904
Senior - BHPian

The Panny plasma's are nice. Nice price too. Got a qoute of 65K for the P7, and 76 for P70. Both 42".
I might have messed up the model numbers slightly.
Old 8th April 2008, 12:16   #905
Distinguished - BHPian

need to get a 37 inch lcd for my room

What are the best available models and prices?

There dont seem to be many full HD 37inchers, so whats the next best spec level available.

A friend got the 37inch Sony S series for 52k last month but i did not like the picture quality much so i would like something better.
Old 9th April 2008, 09:45   #906

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Recently picked up the Samsung LA40R8 for 80k from the samsung shorwoom.Decent picture quality,the design of the lcd is good.
Default video settings are crappy and was very unhappy and regretted buying a lcd but later got the hang of the settings and now the picture quality is decent.Im using Dishtv.Im stressing on decent picture clarity,my 29" samsung slim Crt still has better picture clarity.
The viewing distance from the lcs id close to 12ft and at times ,i get a headache while watching action movies or fast panning shots since the whole shot appears blurred,probably due to the 8ms response time.
One thing is for sure,im not selling my Crt any time soon.
Old 10th April 2008, 00:06   #907
Senior - BHPian

I am glad you came up with this. As you are not the first one to face this issue.
But unfortunately many owners suffer from post purchase false contentment and refuse to accept that there is any such issue and do not provide unbiased reviews.

It's a common but lesser known problem with all LCDs. (incl with the ones with 5ms response). LCDs are really bad in displaying motion or sports scenes.

Disclaimer: I only own a CRT, but planning to pick a plasma/LCD this year...
Old 10th April 2008, 02:47   #908

my suggestion wouold be to pick up the best no matter how expensive it is or dont buy at all.No point hanging in between beause you lose money and dont even get satisfied.One of the grouses while watching shows on the lcd(that too 40") is that you can see the picture getting pixelated.A friend bought the LA32R8,and the problem isnt as severe in his tv(probably due to screen size).

i knew the flaws of the lcd tv,particularly the model i bought but had to buy it due to space constraints in the bedroom.Lets just say,this model is the sweeter poison in its category.
Old 10th April 2008, 08:41   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
It's a common but lesser known problem with all LCDs. (incl with the ones with 5ms response). LCDs are really bad in displaying motion or sports scenes.
::Warning: Flaky tech analysis follows::

Have noticed this on my TV hunt trips. However, my understanding is that the "cause" is the scaling of regular feed to 16:9/high-res, and since its an extrapolation, its lossy. The effect is accentuated for faster changing scenes, but is there anyway. If so, this would be the same for all widescreens, including plasma. Just that for a lower response time the "corrrection" may be quicker and less observable, but surely still there. For true 16:9 feeds (of which there are few in the world, none in India) these TVs will work perfectly - so they're a little ahead of time ?
Old 10th April 2008, 09:45   #910

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
::Warning: Flaky tech analysis follows::

Have noticed this on my TV hunt trips. However, my understanding is that the "cause" is the scaling of regular feed to 16:9/high-res, and since its an extrapolation, its lossy. The effect is accentuated for faster changing scenes, but is there anyway. If so, this would be the same for all widescreens, including plasma. Just that for a lower response time the "corrrection" may be quicker and less observable, but surely still there. For true 16:9 feeds (of which there are few in the world, none in India) these TVs will work perfectly - so they're a little ahead of time ?
so basically till the time we dont get 16:9 feeds,no point buying a lcd/plasma?
Old 10th April 2008, 10:33   #911
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellspawn View Post
so basically till the time we dont get 16:9 feeds,no point buying a lcd/plasma?
Don't know if that's an answer, but its sure a question I've been living with for a while.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:37   #912
BHPian

Quote:
The viewing distance from the lcs id close to 12ft and at times ,i get a headache while watching action movies or fast panning shots since the whole shot appears blurred, probably due to the 8ms response time.
Quote:
It's a common but lesser known problem with all LCDs (incl with the ones with 5ms response). LCDs are really bad in displaying motion or sports scenes.
Hi guys, a query... An 8 ms response time means 125 fps right, shouldn't that be more than adequate ? Even the current-gen HD games on the 360 & PS3 are only 60 fps right ?

Hellspawn - I'm planning to pick up, or rather I was planning to pick up, Samsung's LA40F71B or LA40M81B in a few weeks ! Supposing I get a Sony KLV-40X200A (very pricey though) would I still face this problem with motion lag ? My major primary use would be with a XBox 360.
Old 10th April 2008, 10:42   #913
BHPian

Quote:
I am glad you came up with this. As you are not the first one to face this issue.
But unfortunately many owners suffer from post purchase false contentment and refuse to accept that there is any such issue and do not provide unbiased reviews.

Disclaimer: I only own a CRT, but planning to pick a plasma/LCD this year...
I second the CRT still being superior than LCDs/Plasma. Had done a lot of research on LCD/Plasmas ...then finally bought a 34 inch Sony WEGA.. thats a kick *** TV... beats all the LCD's/Plasma ive seen so far....
Old 10th April 2008, 10:48   #914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Recently picked up the Samsung LA40R8 for 80k from the samsung shorwoom.Decent picture quality,the design of the lcd is good.
Default video settings are crappy and was very unhappy and regretted buying a lcd but later got the hang of the settings and now the picture quality is decent.Im using Dishtv.Im stressing on decent picture clarity,my 29" samsung slim Crt still has better picture clarity.
The viewing distance from the lcs id close to 12ft and at times ,i get a headache while watching action movies or fast panning shots since the whole shot appears blurred,probably due to the 8ms response time.
One thing is for sure,im not selling my Crt any time soon.
Whew, this is what I called a well-timed review !! My BIL was about to pick up a Samsung 40" lcd last Sunday to replace his 14" CRT, but as luck would have it, we could not make it to the shop.
I will send him this feedback so that he can take an informed decision.
Thanks hellspawn, now I too will abandon my plan to chuck away my 29" Panasonic CRT.
Do you think a 40" plasma will also suffer from the same issues?
Old 10th April 2008, 13:30   #915

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi guys, a query... An 8 ms response time means 125 fps right, shouldn't that be more than adequate ? Even the current-gen HD games on the 360 & PS3 are only 60 fps right ?

Hellspawn - I'm planning to pick up, or rather I was planning to pick up, Samsung's LA40F71B or LA40M81B in a few weeks ! Supposing I get a Sony KLV-40X200A (very pricey though) would I still face this problem with motion lag ? My major primary use would be with a XBox 360.
yes but a CRT has a response time in milliseconds or around 0.86ms.Compare this to 8ms of the lcd and you can figure out the difference.Im not too sure about the features of the models you have mentioned,but look for:
1.response time(as low as possible)
2.viewing angle(as close to 180 deg)
3.dynamic contrast ratio(should be as high as possible)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk456 View Post
I second the CRT still being superior than LCDs/Plasma. Had done a lot of research on LCD/Plasmas ...then finally bought a 34 inch Sony WEGA.. thats a kick *** TV... beats all the LCD's/Plasma ive seen so far....
I agree.CRT's offer an unparalled viewing pleasure,colour purity and awesome contrast ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Whew, this is what I called a well-timed review !! My BIL was about to pick up a Samsung 40" lcd last Sunday to replace his 14" CRT, but as luck would have it, we could not make it to the shop.
I will send him this feedback so that he can take an informed decision.
Thanks hellspawn, now I too will abandon my plan to chuck away my 29" Panasonic CRT.
Do you think a 40" plasma will also suffer from the same issues?
Im not sure of a plasma as i havent used it but plasma's are better than lcd's when it comes to displaying fast moving pictures,have way better response time.Though plasma's have flaws of their own just like lcd's.
If you are talking about pixelation,motion blur ..then NO!,plasmas dont face this problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks