Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2014, 12:44   #1606
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Online Shopping" Thread

Have great experience with Amazon but cant say the same for Ebay.

Amazon delivered the below products on or before the stipulated time frame:
1) San disk 16Gb MSD
2) Transcend 16 GB MSD
3) Lamborghini Forza perfume
4) Dr. Morepen digital thermo meter

Had ordered a room heater from E bay. They screwed up and didnt deliver and refunded the amount.

Now, I have ordered a Philips digital photo frame to gift in laws n 19th of July.

It was to be shipped by 21st July. Checked the status today and it is still not shipped.
Would have preferred Amazon any day but the product was a lot more expensive so went with E bay.

Hope I receive the same quickly.
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:33   #1607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Would some one please provide me WS retail address, which is the primary seller on Flipkart.....
By the way, who is WS retail CEO and where can i get his address. Why are they not easily
reachable on internet?
http://corporatedir.com/company/ws-r...rivate-limited
Old 23rd July 2014, 14:53   #1608
gemi_kk

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Thanks mate for the information. I will soon be dropping my love letter to them.

Old 23rd July 2014, 15:24   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Had ordered a Lens hood on DX.com 4 weeks back, yet to receive it!

Shipping is done over Hongkong post & delivered here by India Post, SLA is 15 business days, which is over now...

Not sure if I need to wait for few more days, also service by India Post is quite unreliable here in Blore...
Finally, after 50 days I received the order yesterday!

I had placed this order at DX.com based on some positive feedback shared on this thread, but I am very disappointed with this experience, two reasons mainly:
1. It took 50 long days for the delivery!
Even if it was regular postal service, do you need 50 days? Can't believe it!
2. Main reason - I ordered a Nikon HB-32 lenshood, looking at the item pic & description at their website, it definitely looks like a original Nikon lenshood.
http://www.dx.com/p/nikon-hb-32-plas...8#.U8-CFo26bZ4
But, shockingly, the one I received doesn't have 'Nikon' or 'Made in China' printed on the lens hood, it just says 'HB-32'.
Undoubtedly, they sent me a fake lens hood.
I can digest 50 days delivery, but not a fake product at a price of original item!

I will try raising a ticket & demand for return and refund, but I don't expect a positive response!

And this is my first & last purchase at a shady chinese website!!!
Old 23rd July 2014, 15:43   #1610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I had --------snip----------site!!!
50 days is a little on the higher side, although, if you check, you'll see that it would have spent the longest time with customs.
And refund won't be a problem if you raise a ticket. You either get the money back, or, he'll ship you a new one.
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:33   #1611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Would some one please provide me WS retail address, which is the primary seller on Flipkart. I am planning to drop a mail, but couldnt find there address anywhere on internet

I am planning to send a complaint to him. By the way, who is WS retail CEO and where can i get his address. Why are they not easily reachable on internet?
http://www.flipkart.com/s/contact this states the address as

Flipkart Internet Private Limited,
Ozone Manay Tech Park,
#56/18 & 55/09, 7th Floor,
Garvebhavipalya, Hosur Road,
Bangalore - 560068,
Karnataka, India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I don't know if it is the same but you can get similar film applied at any 3M Car Care outlet.
Unfortunately no 3M outlet in my city, Mangalore

Last edited by Eddy : 23rd July 2014 at 17:58.
Old 23rd July 2014, 16:41   #1612
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I had placed this order at DX.com based on some positive feedback shared on this thread, but I am very disappointed with this experience

And this is my first & last purchase at a shady chinese website!!!
The original lens hood costs about 14 USD. No offense but you weren’t really expecting the original hood for that low, were you?

Dealextreme shipments take anywhere from 15 days to 3 months for delivery. I am not really sure what causes this but I am betting on our customs department more than anything else. I have received an HDMI to DVI adapter (4 years back when it wasn’t available here as it does today) in 15 days whereas a bunch of 3m HDMI cables took 3 months! I did not bother filing a complaint since it was dirt cheap and had no hopes of a refund. The package arrived after a long delay when I wasn’t expecting it. Sometimes, the shipment may not deliver at all. It has happened with me once. Again, it was a cheap plush toy.

Did you try local Indian websites for the hood? Lastly, does the DX hood fit your lens properly?
Old 23rd July 2014, 17:11   #1613
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The original lens hood costs about 14 USD. No offense but you weren’t really expecting the original hood for that low, were you?
Agree, but why are they showing the pic of original Nikon lenshood in their website?
This is misleading! If I knew it was a fake, would have NEVER bought it, rather bought the Omax lenshood from Flipkart!
Quote:
Did you try local Indian websites for the hood? Lastly, does the DX hood fit your lens properly?
Indian websites doesn't have original Nikon lenshood, they have Omax etc.

Also, the fake lenshood doesn't have dot marking that help to align with & fit onto the lens, with some struggle was able to fit it. Anyways, I am not going to use this fake lenshood!
Old 24th July 2014, 10:39   #1614
BHPian

Polo OEM armrest ordered from Aliexpress!

Hi All

I took the plunge to order my first purchase from China! And it was delightful experience.

Thanks to @Gannu_1, whose thread/post I referred to for this.

The vendor was courteous, and I was able to bargain US$2.50 , plus complimentary "anti-slip mat" and "GTI" sticker.

Total cost: US$115 (incl US$50 FedEx charges).

My payment stays in an escrow A/c till I've received the product, and when satisfied, I can then release the payment to the vendor. Excellent buyer protection mechanism!

I placed the order on 18 Jul, and was at my doorstep on 23 Jul! Didnt get stuck in customs, as the vendor had quoted a US$30 gift invoice (although they can't guarantee customs clearance).

All in all great experience.
Attached Thumbnails
The Online Shopping Thread-photo1.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-photo2.jpg  

The Online Shopping Thread-photo3.jpg  

Old 24th July 2014, 11:20   #1615
Senior - BHPian

For mobiles, computer components, accessories, and some electronics; I find that over the last 1 year, I have completely shifted to online. There are 2 factors for me that caused the switch: lower prices and service.

In my experience, offline shops used to be price competitive till around 2012-13 but online are much cheaper now and recently I saw a online price advantage of 3,000 on a 45,000 mobile, and 5,000-6,000 on iphone 5s. Faced with this, offline shops trot out these excuses (if you believe them, go for offline)
1. online give second hand
2. online give old products
3. online do not deliver soon
4. online give no service (as if a brick and mortar retail shop is going to repair your mobile, AC etc)
5. the most ridiculous excuse: we are not competing against offline and you should not compare us with offline. Why should I not. I get cheaper price which is somewhat offset by instant delivery for offline (4-5 hours to 3-4 days online).

The second point is service and returns. Let me relate two recent June-july 2014 experiences in this regard:
1. Amazon, July 2014: bought a replacement HTC mobile charger which when delivered looked used and did not work. Immediately filed a return on amazon. The seller told me to courier the item at his cost and promised a replacement. Now why should I go to the hassle of doing this and take the risk of courier cost. So I posted a feedback on amazon india with my comments and the lowest possible rating. Within 15 mins, I got a call from the seller and after apologising, he promised a replacement which came after 2 days. He said that if there are enough negative feedbacks, amazon removes the seller from its site.

3. Flipkart, July 2014: I had bought a HTC One M8 in June 2014 and amazed by its battery life, ordered a second one in mid-July 2014. It arrived in 1 day (paid Rs. 90 extra). However, the battery life was not as great and so worried, I filed a return/replacement after 36 hours of purchase. Subsequently, I think the issue was with some bloatware that I had installed on the phone and there was no problem with the phone as such. Anyway, I kept the return in place and flipkart promised a reply in 24 hours. Nothing happened in 24 hours (Mon morn-Tues morn). So on Tuesday 1030 am, I gave a call to flipkart and asked. They said they will do it on priority and get back in hours. Nothing happened and so a more stern call was made at 5 pm. They said they will mail me on the status (return/new replacement) on the same day before 9 pm. Nothing happened again and so on Wed morning 630 pm, I gave a call again and became even more agitated. The flipkart rep asked me to troubleshoot which I said I had done. So he said, he will approve the return/replacement request and I will get a brand new replacement on same day. This time, they kept their word, and I got the brand new htc one m8 at 530 pm. Although it ended well, I was not impressed by flipkart's callous attitude and putting the onus on the customer to follow up.

The bottomline is that regardless of the somewhat painful experience with flipkart, it would have been far worse with offline retailers who would perhaps asked me to contact HTC. Plus, prices are cheaper online and I feel more confident about getting a redressal on a defective product.

Last edited by vasudeva : 24th July 2014 at 11:23.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:37   #1616
Team-BHP Support

Re: Polo OEM armrest ordered from Aliexpress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanomics View Post
I placed the order on 18 Jul, and was at my doorstep on 23 Jul! Didnt get stuck in customs, as the vendor had quoted a US$30 gift invoice (although they can't guarantee customs clearance).
Awesome!

And lucky you! I had to pay 3700 Rs. to India Post along with submitting a bunch of documents to get it cleared from the customs. This is a great deal although you had to pay more for the FedEx shipping. But with FedEx/DHL/UPS, you get a proper tracking system, assured delivery and a faster delivery. China Post would have taken anywhere from 20 days to a month.

EDIT: And looks like my review on his feedback section got him quite a few orders from India.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 24th July 2014 at 11:47.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:39   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post

In my experience, offline shops used to be price competitive till around 2012-13 but online are much cheaper now and recently I saw a online price advantage of 3,000 on a 45,000 mobile, and 5,000-6,000 on iphone 5s. Faced with this, offline shops trot out these excuses (if you believe them, go for offline)
1. online give second hand
2. online give old products
3. online do not deliver soon
4. online give no service (as if a brick and mortar retail shop is going to repair your mobile, AC etc)
5. the most ridiculous excuse: we are not competing against offline and you should not compare us with offline. Why should I not. I get cheaper price which is somewhat offset by instant delivery for offline (4-5 hours to 3-4 days online).
The fact is that they cannot compete against the online stores. Flipkart and Amazon do not have to open multiple showrooms across the city to attract customers, pay rent and other associated costs.

A couple of years back I had read this article that brick and motor shops were now becoming the place where people touch and feel the product and buy online.

Let me ask you this question - Would you like a situation where phones/laptops etc are 'only' sold online - No display - No place to see it?

The showrooms too are adapting and offering products online which is the way they can survive. The only solace they have is that the volumes can offset the obvious cost mismatch they have.
What I hate is the bookshops with their huge profit margin will never pass the benefits to customers. I used to be a weekly customer at Starmark in Calcutta and they never deemed fit to give me any discount for my patronage.

In the end the market develops in the way it is beneficial to the customer and if this indeed the way to go, it will.
P.S. I buy products both online and in showrooms. Hell I even buy groceries online.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:45   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post

Let me ask you this question - Would you like a situation where phones/laptops etc are 'only' sold online - No display - No place to see it?
Everyone has their personal preference, but for phones, computer components, etc; I am quite comfortable with not seeing them before purchase. Anyway, in most of the shops, many of the products that they offer are not for display or one sees a dummy mockup. I felt the HTC One M8 (and an earlier HTC One M7) the first time, when I got it at home. The phones were bought online.

In June 2014, I did a check for HTC One M8 price online, went to offline shops (to get instant delivery). However, the offline shops were at dearer by a minimum of 2,000 and a max of 4,000. When I quoted the online price, and after bargaining, the 2,000 difference was reduced to 1,000. What turned me off was that when you quote the online price or say you have bought online, the regular shops think you are an idiot for even considering buying online. So I saved a min of 2,000 but got the phone 21 hour later.

Last edited by vasudeva : 24th July 2014 at 11:56.
Old 24th July 2014, 11:51   #1619
BHPian

Offline shops does match online price, in my experience. You need to bargain harder. Recently bought Toshiba 32P2305 from Gopu Nandhilath,TVM at exactly same price listed in Flipkart. They are aware that the online shops are taking away their business.
Old 24th July 2014, 12:05   #1620
Senior - BHPian

I had placed an order on DX.com about a month back and am yet t receive it. It was a low value order and hence there was no tracking number provided. I was prepared for a 15-20 days wait, but this is getting too long and I am wondering if I should just cancel this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks