Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2015, 15:42   #3721
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
+1. I do the same for practically all apps that I install on my phone. Apps still work fine - though may be with reduced functionality. For ex - if you deny contacts permission to paytm/airtel, you wont be able to pick numbers from your contact list to recharge.

Next version of Android is supposed to come with such a permission control right out of the box and also with priority notifications. So there would not be a need for 3rd party apps.
Thanks for that information. I am but a novice dabbler with Android
Old 10th August 2015, 17:04   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
Good Morning Members!

I was looking for an external USB 2 TB hard drive (without separate power source) and came across offers on Amazon today. I am unable to decide whether I should go for Seagate or Western Digital.

Any one with hands on experience / first hand exposure kindly advise on which one to go for from the below 2 products -

SEAGATE - http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Backup-...productDetails INR 6801 excluding 15% cashback

WD - http://www.amazon.in/WD-Elements-Por...productDetails INR 6175 excluding 15% cashback

Apart from the quoted prices, a 15% cash back is available on HDFC and YES BANK (cash back to be credited in November 2015, but I am fine with that) for all transactions exceeding INR 5000.

Looking forward to your valuable inputs!
Do not buy Seagate. They now have highest failure rate. Don't make the mistake of comparing decade old drives. Go for HGST (Hitachi), or even WD. BTW the latter owns the former now. If you want to go cheaper then there is Toshiba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
MIUI allows independent control of app permissions. I have kept the flipkart app on my phone, but denied what I see as privacy-intruding permissions.

I don't know if the app still works. Seems like there would be an opportunity for a blocking app that, when asked for contacts, photos, etc, responds that there aren't any, or provides some random nonsense. Maybe someone has done that already.
MIUI has pulled the rug from beneath our feet. They have pulled out ability to block device ID from MIUI 6. Don't know what else they have pulled. So there goes your privacy. Few other things have also been messed up. And for that my next phone or tablet will not be a xiaomi. Shot of a tweet to Hugo Barra about it too. He didn't bother to reply. Please consider doing the same if on Twitter... Or in their forums.

As for third party solutions you can can do it with xposed framework and x privacy. I don't have the time to do it now, for all devices, so was counting on MIUI. Then came the Chinese betrayal...

I'd still suggest uninstalling the flipkart app (after purchase, if you have so decided), so that these companies know they can't dictate trends. In any case buying experience from apps is simply below par.

Last edited by Aditya : 11th August 2015 at 07:40. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 10th August 2015, 18:32   #3723
Senior - BHPian

This being a car forum, also talking about on-line deals etc; I have a question. Do we have any sites which sells some good boxes/pouches etc. which can be used to store the car maintenance stuff like, towels, car polish, wind screen shampoos, coolant cans etc in a neat manner. Currently I just dump it in a plastic bag given by some textile shop.
I have got a couple of those typical "tool boxes", but getting a new one just for holding the above stuff seems to be an over-kill.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:36   #3724
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
This being a car forum, also talking about on-line deals etc; I have a question. Do we have any sites which sells some good boxes/pouches etc. which can be used to store the car maintenance stuff like, towels, car polish, wind screen shampoos, coolant cans etc in a neat manner. Currently I just dump it in a plastic bag given by some textile shop.
I have got a couple of those typical "tool boxes", but getting a new one just for holding the above stuff seems to be an over-kill.
You may want to look at plastic boxes/buckets available at stores. Its easier to judge the sizes and requirement in person rather than ordering something online without having seen it.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:39   #3725
Senior - BHPian

Every online retailing website I browse has plenty of fake power banks of known brands. Can anybody recommend a good 5200 or 10K mAh power bank with good performance and reasonable price.
mercedised is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 18:43   #3726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
You may want to look at plastic boxes/buckets available at stores. Its easier to judge the sizes and requirement in person rather than ordering something online without having seen it.
Any images of such boxes/buckets?
Old 10th August 2015, 18:49   #3727
BHPian

@mercedised
Know individuals who had problems with power banks bought from Croma too. Aye bought a HP 8k from one of the well known stationary shops in BOM more than a year back, and have no issues so far.
I paid approx 4k or less then, if i remember correctly.
Old 10th August 2015, 18:50   #3728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Every online retailing website I browse has plenty of fake power banks of known brands. Can anybody recommend a good 5200 or 10K mAh power bank with good performance and reasonable price.
The Huawei Honor 13000MaH has been serving me pretty well.

I got it for Rs. 1,299 on Flipkart. Performance is satisfactory. Doesn't come with a charger for itself though. So you'd be wise to buy a 2A wall charger as the 13000MaH will take ages to charge completely with anything else.

Else, you can wait for the Mi Power Bank to come back in stock. 16000MaH for Rs. 1,399.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:17   #3729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm currently using Ambrane P1310 - 13000 mAh powerbank. The input charging port is just 1A and it takes real long to charge it completely

You may buy Mi 10400 mAh powerbank (with free gel cover) from this trusted seller (allphoneunlock) on eBay for Rs 918 after discounts (apply coupon - EBAYAZAD10 for 10 percent off and pay using Mobikwik wallet for 12 percent cashback). I've bought few powerbanks for my friends, so I can vouch for the seller

You may buy the 16000 mAh Mi Powerbank from their official store during tomorrow's flash sale (2 PM, Aug 11th) for Rs 1399 (Currently the 5200 mAh and 10400 mAh power banks are out of stock on Mi Official Store)

Last edited by Klub Class : 10th August 2015 at 20:20.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:27   #3730
Senior - BHPian

@Vishyvish @ashwin.terminat@ Klub Class

Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I had some cashback amount lying in my paytm account. Got a good offer on Adata PT100 10000 mAh available for 750 Rs, should I go for it? I read some reviews on net most of them are positive about this model.
Old 10th August 2015, 20:31   #3731
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Been using this one from amazon for that last 3 months. Pretty happy with it. Has a 2.1A input and output. So performance is pretty good. It was available this morning for 999 as part of their sale. I also got it at 999. Current price is higher, but it can drop

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00T62CQ32/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1439215593&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=PNY&dpPl=1&dpID=31ylr4krp hL&ref=plSrch
Old 10th August 2015, 21:51   #3732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Besides Mi, you could consider One Plus powerbank. It was available on Amazon when I last checked. However, the price was less competitive than the options from Mi. If you are ok with the price, it would be one of the best options.
Old 10th August 2015, 22:50   #3733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
MIUI has pulled the rug from beneath our feet. They have pulled out ability to block device ID from MIUI 6. Don't know what else they have pulled. So there goes your privacy. Few other things have also been messed up. And for that my next phone or tablet will not be a xiaomi. Shot of a tweet to Hugo Barra about it too. He didn't bother to reply. Please consider doing the same if on Twitter... Or in their forums.

As for third party solutions you can can do it with xposed framework and x privacy. I don't have the time to do it now, for all devices, so was counting on MIUI. Then came the Chinese betrayal...

I'd still suggest uninstalling the flipkart app (after purchase, if you have so decided), so that these companies know they can't dictate trends. In any case buying experience from apps is simply below par.
(we digress into Android-thread territory, I suppose, but one last comment on this...)

That is bad news. The good news is that Cyanogenmod will, sometime, be available for the m4i. I believe that work is in progress.
Old 10th August 2015, 22:58   #3734
BHPian

Guys, need some info here. Never have I ordered anything via aliexpress.com. Was browsing thru' the site yesterday and could see some nice-looking watches for some pretty good (cheap) rates.

Here in this thread saw that quite a few people have bought from aliexpress. Now you should be already be knowing my questions here. How long does it take for the product to reach? How is the product quality? I, obviously, do not expect the product to be of very high quality when I buy it this cheap. But, it should not be pathetic as well.
Old 10th August 2015, 23:07   #3735
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
How long does it take for the product to reach? How is the product quality? I, obviously, do not expect the product to be of very high quality when I buy it this cheap. But, it should not be pathetic as well.
It'll be better than you may be expecting,since your expectations are anyway low.
Time maybe anything from 15-45 days.
However, totally Ali is more useful for other things, car related, mobile accessories etc. Watches, we're definitely watching for your feedback now. I also almost went for a couple of skeleton ones, but always chicken out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks