Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 14:14   #3706
BHPian

re: The Online Shopping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post

All in all, its a VFM device for 1999/- (now 2300 less 10% disc for APP purchases) , with 2 years warranty.

I have also ordered for the same product on Snapdeal. Just wanted to know how long they took to deliver the product to you? I ordered it on Aug 7 and it has been two days now and it still has not been dispatched.
Old 10th August 2015, 03:39   #3707
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
They want people to buy from the app. That is their way of telling their investors "Look we were right. People prefer to buy via App. That is the future". This in turn buys them investor confidence. No one cares about profitability it seems.
They are really trying to push their stupid app down ur throats. Besides the intrusive permissions and privacy concerns and the like, whats equally worse is that they are forcing their awful app even on phones that have very little internal memory. Now the funny thing is the pre-installed app wastes space, and assuming you want to keep it and want to update the app, you may not be able to as the update will take additional internal memory. So you need space for 2 apps. Whats more they are pre-installing their e-book app also, so its reserving space for 4 apps.

Whats more they seem to be wanting to create a trend (app only) instead of offering the customer choices and convenience. In that sense, and in way, they seem to be applying Steve Job's belief that the customer does not know what he wants.

Their design is clear - by hook or by crook they want to coerce everyone to install and KEEP their intrusive apps on your phone and keep bombing customers with notifications.

I probably won't ever buy thru the app. But then who knows, economics/steal deals/exclusive offers might change that infrequently... and I presume its the same for more of us here. So even if you do install the thing for a specific purchase, I'd really suggest you uninstall it after purchasing. And maybe giving it one star in the Play Store for trying to force feed us. Lets show that Steve Jobs wasn't right about everything (at least literally).

Personally, we very rarely buy from Flipkart as their prices are almost always uncompetitive and service and experience significantly behind Amazon, and even some other smaller players. They seem to be surviving mostly because being older, a lot many people seem to be buying from them without comparing prices or due to the inertia of going elsewhere.

Really hope other sites don't start copying FK's consumer choice be damned strategy. But there are signs of it going otherwise. Its upto us customers to coerce our preference.

Last edited by Raccoon : 10th August 2015 at 03:45.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:07   #3708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I have also ordered for the same product on Snapdeal. Just wanted to know how long they took to deliver the product to you? I ordered it on Aug 7 and it has been two days now and it still has not been dispatched.
It took about 6 days from Order placement (28th July) to final delivery (3rd August). I think it should take about the same time for you too.
For me, it showed the path from Bhiwandi (Mumbai), Pune and to Bangalore.

Last edited by hrman : 10th August 2015 at 10:08.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:18   #3709
Senior - BHPian

Was looking for a mixer and was impressed with the following model
http://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-mx...er=from-search
4600 was the lowest price I could find in online sites. So checked out the same in a local shop. Shockingly the price was 4550 and after exchange the price came down to 4090. Now I would like to know why on earth we should buy items online? We get fully warranty dealer stamped item for a price lower than online sites. That too instant delivery where you can check for damages and similar issues.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:40   #3710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
Was looking for a mixer and was impressed with the following model
http://www.flipkart.com/panasonic-mx...er=from-search
4600 was the lowest price I could find in online sites. So checked out the same in a local shop. Shockingly the price was 4550 and after exchange the price came down to 4090. Now I would like to know why on earth we should buy items online? We get fully warranty dealer stamped item for a price lower than online sites. That too instant delivery where you can check for damages and similar issues.
Usually, B&M shops quote high and bring the price down when you show them it is available for much lesser online.

I will thank the e-commerce companies, that the B&M stores have pulled up their socks and are trying to keep their heads above the water by matching the prices of online stores. At the end of the day, the consumer is benefiting.

In my personal experience, FK does not have one of the least prices on the net. Their Independence day deals, credit/debit card cash back etc, will help bring prices down further. You can see if the Citi/SBI bank cashback will bring it down further if you intend to purchase from FK.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:47   #3711
BHPian

Good Morning Members!

I was looking for an external USB 2 TB hard drive (without separate power source) and came across offers on Amazon today. I am unable to decide whether I should go for Seagate or Western Digital.

Any one with hands on experience / first hand exposure kindly advise on which one to go for from the below 2 products -

SEAGATE - http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Backup-...productDetails INR 6801 excluding 15% cashback

WD - http://www.amazon.in/WD-Elements-Por...productDetails INR 6175 excluding 15% cashback

Apart from the quoted prices, a 15% cash back is available on HDFC and YES BANK (cash back to be credited in November 2015, but I am fine with that) for all transactions exceeding INR 5000.

Looking forward to your valuable inputs!

Last edited by Safety is Param : 10th August 2015 at 10:48.
Old 10th August 2015, 10:55   #3712

I am a loyal Seagate user . I even have a 10 year old external drive which still functions perfectly. The customer service is also pretty good. If you want to be able to store data and then access it even a few years down the line without worrying that it will be lost, I suggest that you go for Seagate.
Old 10th August 2015, 11:04   #3713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety is Param View Post
I was looking for an external USB 2 TB hard drive. I am unable to decide whether I should go for Seagate or Western Digital. Any one with hands on experience / first hand exposure kindly advise on which one to go for from the below 2 products
Well, both are reputed brands, and both support USB 3.0; so go for either one. Between the two linked products, WD is cheaper. Ensure you connect it to a USB 3.0 port on your computer to enjoy the best transfer rates. Also, if you're going to carry this around, please invest in a dedicated HDD case, rather than risking your data.

I've personally tended towards WD, more out of brand loyalty than anything else (there was a specific period when certain models of Seagate were problematic, but that time is now gone).

I've had failures with both brands, and my one WD failure was within warranty and that experience was good (in fact the replacement drive has been chugging along happily for 3 years and counting). Go with an assumption that your hard disk will fail the minute you finish transferring your data onto it, and set up a backup strategy to safeguard yourself. Not doing so on the assumption that brand X is more reliable than brand Y is just setting yourself up for grief!

Last edited by arunphilip : 10th August 2015 at 11:07.
Old 10th August 2015, 11:20   #3714
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good Morning Members!

I was looking for an external USB 2 TB hard drive (without separate power source) and came across offers on Amazon today. I am unable to decide whether I should go for Seagate or Western Digital.

Any one with hands on experience / first hand exposure kindly advise on which one to go for from the below 2 products -

SEAGATE - http://www.amazon.in/Seagate-Backup-...productDetails INR 6801 excluding 15% cashback

WD - http://www.amazon.in/WD-Elements-Por...productDetails INR 6175 excluding 15% cashback

Apart from the quoted prices, a 15% cash back is available on HDFC and YES BANK (cash back to be credited in November 2015, but I am fine with that) for all transactions exceeding INR 5000.

I was also looking at these options and then went for the seagate as I had bad experiences with WD. went through the app and HDFC to get the 15% cash back
Old 10th August 2015, 12:52   #3715
Distinguished - BHPian

MIUI allows independent control of app permissions. I have kept the flipkart app on my phone, but denied what I see as privacy-intruding permissions.

I don't know if the app still works. Seems like there would be an opportunity for a blocking app that, when asked for contacts, photos, etc, responds that there aren't any, or provides some random nonsense. Maybe someone has done that already.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:57   #3716
Senior - BHPian

The 3M Small Car Care Kit is available for Rs. 599 on Amazon today.

Anyone know how much this cost before?
Old 10th August 2015, 13:00   #3717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just bought the WD one as my 3 and half year old Seagate 2TB failed yesterday and is no longer under warranty. So went for WD this time as I have had better previous experience with it.
Old 10th August 2015, 13:05   #3718
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
The 3M Small Car Care Kit is available for Rs. 599 on Amazon today.

Anyone know how much this cost before?
I bought it for 400 during May sale on amazon.
Old 10th August 2015, 14:55   #3719
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
MIUI allows independent control of app permissions. I have kept the flipkart app on my phone, but denied what I see as privacy-intruding permissions.

I don't know if the app still works. Seems like there would be an opportunity for a blocking app that, when asked for contacts, photos, etc, responds that there aren't any, or provides some random nonsense. Maybe someone has done that already.
+1. I do the same for practically all apps that I install on my phone. Apps still work fine - though may be with reduced functionality. For ex - if you deny contacts permission to paytm/airtel, you wont be able to pick numbers from your contact list to recharge.

Next version of Android is supposed to come with such a permission control right out of the box and also with priority notifications. So there would not be a need for 3rd party apps.
Old 10th August 2015, 15:09   #3720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
It took about 6 days from Order placement (28th July) to final delivery (3rd August). I think it should take about the same time for you too.
For me, it showed the path from Bhiwandi (Mumbai), Pune and to Bangalore.
Thank you for the reply!

Let us see it is the 4th day today since I ordered and they had promised delivery by tomorrow. But the item status shows "Packed and waiting for warehouse pickup".

EDIT: Just received a mail stating that estimated delivery date is 14 AUG now. It was 11AUG previously.

Last edited by Shanksta : 10th August 2015 at 15:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks