Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2015, 12:15   #3781
BHPian

Am in Bangkok and considering picking up an ultra hd 55" TV. Is it worth the customs hassle? Any idea of recent purchases anyone?
Old 15th August 2015, 14:15   #3782
Senior - BHPian

re: The Online Shopping Thread

As long as you are willing to pay the customs duty there is no hassle. Do find out whether the airline that you intend to fly on levies any extra charges on screens beyond a certain size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Am in Bangkok and considering picking up an ultra hd 55" TV. Is it worth the customs hassle? Any idea of recent purchases anyone?
Old 15th August 2015, 15:31   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Flat 36%, inescapable before airline charges and customs chai paani. (they contest the amount on which 36% is to be applied, ie MSRP vs what you paid).

Check prices here online before buying.
Old 17th August 2015, 09:27   #3784
Senior - BHPian

I suspected since long that PayTM jacks up the price of Alot of the products (especially ones that it sells with the cashback offer).

Last evening I noticed PayTM was selling FeviKwik (the 5Rs one) in a pack of 60 for Rs.498/-! with a cashback that made the price as Rs.324/- ! Obviously, the price should be Rs.300/- (Rs.5/- x 60Pcs).

So I tweeted the same to them with a screenshot, but there was no response.

Looks like they've found a way to circumvent the liability of pricing something like that. The very reason I've been reluctant to buy this Ambrane 13000mAh powerbank from them for Rs.719/-, who knows if it'll be original.

I guess now on, in my books PayTM is reserved only for Uber or Taxi For Sure payments.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 17th August 2015 at 09:28.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:36   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
I suspected since long that PayTM jacks up the price of Alot of the products (especially ones that it sells with the cashback offer).

There are many price jacked items but there are good deals too. I am pretty shocked at some of the prices myself but am riding the wave on stuff that cannot be faked. For eg I purchased an asus 11.6 laptop for 21k whereas prevailing retail prices was around 24-26k in chennai. Got some other decent stuff too in terms of prestige cookware, branded handbags etc Purchased one fake looking Hugo boss EDT which I returned and promptly got a refund. So no issues with customer support and returns etc. infact my two returns till date got credited within an hour of the return pickup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
As long as you are willing to pay the customs duty there is no hassle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Flat 36%, inescapable before airline charges and customs chai paani.

Thanks guys, I gave it a miss but the prices were really good there!! Checked only one store and the prices till the 55" UHD were like 60-70% of what I see here. Sorry didn't take any pics and I don't recall them now.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 17th August 2015 at 11:00. Reason: merging back to back posts
Old 18th August 2015, 13:10   #3786
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
Ordered for a kids bed from fabfurnish.com and the product was delivered to me on time but upon opening the outer carton the dimensions mentioned on the product box was different from what was mentioned on their website making the product useless for me. So called up their customer care number and reported the problem on Aug 3rd and I was assured that the return will be done in 48hrs but it's been already 10 days and there is no sign of response from their side. If I call their CC number they either say the same had been forwarded to their logistics dept or they'll call me back in 1hr and that doesn't happen at all. I paid for the order by COD.

Any advice on how to get my money back will be appreciated. TIA
Hi all finally got my money refunded to my bank account after numerous calls and a tweet that worked Now the hunt for a kids bed continues
Old 18th August 2015, 23:49   #3787
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
They are indeed final authority but normally they wont overcharge or rip you ,your courier guy must have given you details of duty charged , I
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I bought a Leather jacket and it was shipped from the USA, I was charged net 20% customs. The rates must have gone up now.

Or, apart from the specified customs, they charge additional 12.5% and 3%. Maybe that drove up the typical 25% to 40% in your case.
Thanks to both of you for the response. Apologies for the delay as I had misplaced the receipt given by the post office. Anyway, there are no details about the breakup in the receipt I got. I'll try to mail the customs id which had earlier asked me to email the invoice and check with them once.
Old 19th August 2015, 09:49   #3788
Senior - BHPian

Nikon taken to court by Flipkart for caution notice on Flipkart purchases.

Source

Drugs act may also be modified to allow for online purchase of medicines - already prevalent in other countries like the US.

Source

Last edited by sdp1975 : 19th August 2015 at 09:57.
Old 19th August 2015, 12:43   #3789
BHPian

Automobile Items Sale on PAYTM

Just ordered a Jopasu Microfiber Duster for a net price of Rs.335/-

Actual Price-670
Cash Back-50%

Last time I have paid about Rs.620/- for the same duster on Snapdeal.

The Online Shopping Thread-jopasu.jpg

Last edited by iVento : 19th August 2015 at 13:00.
Old 19th August 2015, 13:06   #3790
BHPian

HI All,

Has anyone got experience with www.shop4hella.com?

Looking to order lamps & Mounting Bar from them.
Any suggestions!

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 19th August 2015, 13:07   #3791
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post
Automobile Items Sale on PAYTM

Just ordered a Jopasu Microfiber Duster for a net price of Rs.335/-

Actual Price-670
Cash Back-50%

Last time I have paid about Rs.620/- for the same duster on Snapdeal.

Attachment 1405178
PayTM's cashback offers (available on all most all products), is just fantabulous!

I don't think that with this much cashback, any product can be cheaper elsewhere.

How do these guys manage their profits? Is there a catch, that i am missing?

Last edited by DCEite : 19th August 2015 at 13:08.
Old 19th August 2015, 14:55   #3792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
PayTM's cashback offers (available on all most all products), is just fantabulous!

I don't think that with this much cashback, any product can be cheaper elsewhere.

As a customer, you have to 'make hay while the sun shines'.

As long as the product reaches you in good condition, you have scored a great deal. The customer service experience in case of major issues is reportedly not very great.
Whatever interaction I have had with customer care was brief emails and I have received prompt response and explanation.

So, just keep fingers crossed and keep PayTMing.
The people burning cash are: Ant Financial (AliPay), SAIF Partners, Sapphire Venture and Silicon Valley Bank.
Old 19th August 2015, 15:52   #3793
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Whatever interaction I have had with customer care was brief emails and I have received prompt response and explanation.

I must say that their customer support is not up to the mark, that's the price one would pay for receiving an healthy paytm cashback on each order. Few of my orders like perfumes & diapers were counterfeit and they did very little to correct them. I doubt the authenticity of other items too on their website, so exercise caution while ordering them.

Agree that they seem to be burning a lot of cash at the moment through these cashback offers.
Old 19th August 2015, 19:54   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Few of my orders like perfumes & diapers were counterfeit and they did very little to correct them.

I got a EDT which I thought was counterfeit. Sent an email and within 2 hours got a call from the pickup courier. Told him I wasn't expecting a call so soon and didn't have any RMA number or packed the product. He told me nothing is needed. Came and picked up as is and gave me a receipt and within one hour I had the refund in my account!
Old 20th August 2015, 02:54   #3795
Senior - BHPian

Someone signed up Snapdeal with my email ID on 12th. Shockingly they dont verify email IDs. I complained on twitter asap. Standard assurances came.

On 14th, I got a product despatch email!! More empty promises on twitter.

On Sunday noon, I got pissed and found out I could click on "Cancel Order" in the original email itself, so I did the needful. Half a dozen tweets marking even Kunal Bahl besides the SD ID resulted in no followups.

I am thoroughly disappointed and pissed. Turns out Flipkart atleast sends a verification email upfront. SD doesn't.

Most Viewed