Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2012, 21:59   #2881
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
In the outdoor models shouldn't the vent be long enough that it takes the exhaust up to the roof where it is safe to be released? I mean are the fans powerful enough for that or is it model specific? We live in an area where houses are pretty close to each other.

Well, we've seen (what we feel is a dangerously bad) example of outdoor venting in our neighbourhood. The vent just brings the exhaust out of the kitchen wall and blasts out at people climbing the stairs in the adjacent house - feels something like those hotel kitchens. What's worse is that the fumes enter the higher floors of all neighbours. I want to pick the right model to avoid something like this happening.
The fans are not that powerful to push the exhaust to the rooftop unless you are on top floor. But to avoid blasting the exhaust onto the people on stairs, you can get a flexible pipe installed that can be bent at right angles after its exited your wall. But since its hot air, you wont be able to prevent it from going up towards the other floors.
Old 21st May 2012, 13:41   #2882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
What will u cook with this? For cerelac, a kettle works perfectly!
Flipkart: Black & Decker JA 08 Electric Kettle: Electric Kettle
Looking for an electric kettle for my 1.5 yr old kids while travelling - either .5 Litre or 1Litre capacity.

Do these 1000 W kettles need the larger plug points ( 15 Amps ) or the usual smaller points ( 5 Amps) .

Most hotels don't have the large 15Amps points.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:25   #2883
BANNED

@sdp1975; 1000W is just over 4A (1000/230 A), so the answer is obvious. I will howver use plugs with solid brass pins (and not a two piece construction) like Crabtree or Northwest to be doubly sure.
Old 21st May 2012, 21:47   #2884
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think it as obvious as the simple sum suggests. I've set fire to a 5-amp socket by plugging a kettle into it.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:07   #2885
BHPian

Good Washing Machine with Service support

I have a IFB top loader which was bought 4 years ago during my marriage. It served well, and recently it is showing troubles. The customer support says the model has been stopped and circuit board is difficult to source.

A quick glance through the maintenance and ownership costs makes me think, should I go for IFB again? or go for some other brands?. FYI, see the ownership and maintenance costs below.

1. Machine Cost - Rs.13500
2. Two years Ext Warranty - Rs.2700
3. Stand - Rs.900
4. Water Softner (bought two in 4 years) - Rs.3600
5. IFB Descaling Powder (bought over 4 years) - Rs. 5000 appx

Total = Rs. 25700

Performance of the machine was good. But the customer support was not on par when I was in Chennai. Their service franchise was keen on selling all sorts of powders and maintenance things rather than fixing issues. When I moved to Bangalore, the CS was kind of okay. The SE was honest in his opinions and not pushy trying to sell the powders.

Last week onwards, the machine started going on infinite loop during RINSE and SPIN cycles. So I am thinking about buying a new one rather than fixing the issues.

Can fellow bhpians, let me know which brand (Top loaders) is good with proper service in bangalore? As my budget is tight, I am opting for top-loader. Otherwise I'd have gone for front-loader.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:29   #2886
BHPian

Hi All,

I am in for replacing my 11yr old Samsung 180ltr refrigerator with a new one. Last week went to Croma ,Koramangala and saw the Samsung model RT3135TNB. This is with Inverter technology and 5 star rating. As per Croma, the price is 27900 and is the latest model.

Is this a good price ? How can I ensure that they won't give a display item ? What should be the price which I can expect for my old one if I go for exchange ?

Regards,
Gopi.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:14   #2887
Senior - BHPian

sdp,

for the black & decker kettle i posted, regular socket does just fine. tested across 6 countries and almost 20 hotels till date

my siblings have bought the same model as well

Last edited by phamilyman : 22nd May 2012 at 11:15.
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:25   #2888
BHPian

Re: Good Washing Machine with Service support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
Can fellow bhpians, let me know which brand (Top loaders) is good with proper service in bangalore?
Iam using samsung 6.2KG top loader since 5 years with not a single issue till date. Highly recommend it. Have a look and decide.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:12   #2889
BHPian

Re: Good Washing Machine with Service support

Quote:
Can fellow bhpians, let me know which brand (Top loaders) is good with proper service in bangalore? As my budget is tight, I am opting for top-loader. Otherwise I'd have gone for front-loader.
I have been using a Whirlpool Whitemagic since 2005. With the exception of two years in between when the machine was not in use, the machine goes through one lot of clothes almost every day. The cleaning is good and the motor is an original GE rated for 550 W. Never had any trouble with the machine. With solid sheet metal body, it is still one of the most reliable ones I've seen till date. The washing is good too (approved by my MIL, when she came visiting. She says it's even better than the IFB front loader that she has) My mother too bought the same machine a year back and is very happy with the performance. Also, it has a agitator and with a 1-2, 1-2 motion unlike other machines, it is fairly efficient at removing dirt.
Old 25th May 2012, 02:07   #2890
BHPian

Need advice in getting a faulty Fridge replaced

Hi TBHPians, I purchased a Whirlpool fridge on 12 May from Pai Electronics, Indiranagar, Bangalore. The issue with this piece is that interior cabin lights in both the compartments is not working. After much follow up a service guy visited my place on 14th May and said the piece will be replaced in 2-3 days. I wrote an email to the dealer asking for a replacement/refund. The Whirlpool guys called me on 16th May and took down the serial number and said replacement will happen in 3-4 days and some on will soon call me. No one did so on 18th May i called up customer care and came to know that the ticket has been closed. When i escalated the matter i got a call back after 30mins saying that the replacement will happen in 7-10 days and someone will call in 1-2 days. Its been a week since i last spoke with any of the Whirlpool guys. I have a hunch that these fellas will procrastinate this thing repeatedly without doing any thing to resolve the matter. So far no service guy has visited my place to re-look into this issue nor any information has been given on when will the replacement take place. It does not appear a very complicated issue to me either changing the LED or the circuit could have solved the matter but the service guy suggesting a replacement has left me in a lurch. Can any one let me know how long should i wait before i lodge a case in consumer court ? Should the case be against the dealer or Whirlpool or both ? I know it's too early but i feel this is what will end up happening, so let me be prepared. P.S: I am quite straight yet polite with CC and dealer and have not yet used any strong language with them. Any advise on how to proceed with this matter is highly sought after.

Last edited by shubhamAT : 25th May 2012 at 02:08.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:29   #2891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need advice in getting a faulty Fridge replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Hi TBHPians, I purchased a Whirlpool fridge on 12 May from Pai Electronics, Indiranagar, Bangalore. The issue with this piece is that interior cabin lights in both the compartments is not working. After much follow up a service guy visited my place on 14th May and said the piece will be replaced in 2-3 days. I wrote an email to the dealer asking for a replacement/refund. The Whirlpool guys called me on 16th May and took down the serial number and said replacement will happen in 3-4 days and some on will soon call me. No one did so on 18th May i called up customer care and came to know that the ticket has been closed. When i escalated the matter i got a call back after 30mins saying that the replacement will happen in 7-10 days and someone will call in 1-2 days. Its been a week since i last spoke with any of the Whirlpool guys. I have a hunch that these fellas will procrastinate this thing repeatedly without doing any thing to resolve the matter. So far no service guy has visited my place to re-look into this issue nor any information has been given on when will the replacement take place. It does not appear a very complicated issue to me either changing the LED or the circuit could have solved the matter but the service guy suggesting a replacement has left me in a lurch. Can any one let me know how long should i wait before i lodge a case in consumer court ? Should the case be against the dealer or Whirlpool or both ? I know it's too early but i feel this is what will end up happening, so let me be prepared. P.S: I am quite straight yet polite with CC and dealer and have not yet used any strong language with them. Any advise on how to proceed with this matter is highly sought after.
Just register a case in the consumer court, as your appliance was delivered defective.
Old 25th May 2012, 13:26   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Just register a case in the consumer court, as your appliance was delivered defective.
Today i have been given a time till coming Tuesday. If it still does not happen i am definitely approaching consumer court. I plan to contact ICRPC for this matter. Does any one have a feedback on them ?
Old 26th May 2012, 10:54   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
No one did so on 18th May i called up customer care and came to know that the ticket has been closed. When i escalated the matter i got a call back after 30mins saying that the replacement will happen in 7-10 days and someone will call in 1-2 days. Its been a week since i last spoke with any of the Whirlpool guys.
Welcome to the "Ticket Closed club" mate. I too faced that situation. Got my ticket closed when I asked them to replace a blown circuit board in my Home Inverter. That too, I was willing to pay. Whirlpool is kind of pathetic in their service now a days. It takes many phone calls to get their service guy visit your place. And more, your ticket will be closed automatically without your consent. .

This is one reason why I am staying away from whirlpool for my washing machine purchase.
Old 1st June 2012, 12:01   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome to the "Ticket Closed club" mate. I too faced that situation. Got my ticket closed when I asked them to replace a blown circuit board in my Home Inverter. That too, I was willing to pay. Whirlpool is kind of pathetic in their service now a days. It takes many phone calls to get their service guy visit your place. And more, your ticket will be closed automatically without your consent. .

This is one reason why I am staying away from whirlpool for my washing machine purchase.
Finally, the light was fixed what turned out to be a loose connection. Prior to that after much follow up with customer care and then the local office of Whirlpool a technician with a more senior person visited my place on Tuesday. I had discreetly recorded a video of whatever they were doing. The technician had told that whole wiring is faulty and replacement is the only option.

Later, i called up the WPL local office and told them that i want a refund, sometime later i talked to someone one level up. Those people finally agreed to send me a fresh piece by Friday to which i agreed. I also casually mentioned that i have recorded a Video just in case.

After one hour the same technician called me that he wants to have another look. I said ok. This time within 10mins he got the leds light up without replacing anything. He just opened the main board and detached/attached a socket and every thing was as good as new. I too did not pester again for a replacement since in principle nothing needed to be replaced and also i did not want to unnecessarily prolong this.

Verdict on WPL: Product may be good but the debugging team of this company (at least in Bangalore) is a total scam. I don't think they will try to fix something unless someone higher in the chain castigates them. So fellas whatever white-good you buy make sure that the service support is good and responsive.

Also, when buying a fridge/ac don't wait for 1 hour, as i did (as the delivery guy says), before switching it on. Test it out in front of the delivery guy and only when every thing is in order sign on the delivery challan.

Finally, make sure that muhurat is right when buying anything else god will torment you by having you deal with the CC .
Old 4th June 2012, 15:54   #2895
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread / Ceiling Fans

Need to buy 10 ceiling fans for a flat in the making. Havells is advertising their energy efficient fans with 1200- 1400 mms, 50 W consumption.. confused!! Want some advise and guidelines on buying Ceiling fans, any information on the energy saving part wold be useful.

Thanks,

--Ramky
=====

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks