Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2012, 15:22   #2926
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Looking for a basic OTG. Will be predominantly used for baking cakes, trying pizzas and occasional chicken. Any recommendations and helpful tips from fellow bhpians ?
Old 19th June 2012, 15:59   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Looking for a basic OTG. Will be predominantly used for baking cakes, trying pizzas and occasional chicken. Any recommendations and helpful tips from fellow bhpians ?
We are using a Morphy Richards OTG 28 RSS for baking cakes, making chicken/fish etc. and also for pizza. We are quite happy with this and have had this for more than three years now. Though I have not been happy with the Mixer/Grinder of Morphy Richards, am quite happy with this one. It has a rotisserie too which I have used a few times while doing a whole chicken (not very large ones). The only draw back with this is that it has no inbuilt light and no fan to circulate the air. Inspite of this we are able to make fabulous cakes using this.

Last edited by pjbiju : 19th June 2012 at 16:04.
Old 19th June 2012, 18:27   #2928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are some points
. Cakes require medium temperature
. Pizzas and bread high temparature
. Chicken will need a large volume

So get an OTG with
. Fairly large volume. It should be capable of taking in a large chicken with space to spare. Preferably a 10" pizza dish should fit in too.
. The thermostat should be capable of 100-300 degrees settings
. The heating elements should be totally enclosed. Desist from getting one where the heating element glows like a bulb (as in some room heaters), better get one where the heating elements is coated and black.
. If possible buy one which has a thick power cable. Cheap ones will have a thin and short cable (a give away of quality)
Old 27th June 2012, 16:38   #2929
BHPian

I am looking to purchase remote control ceiling fans. I have come across a brand called "Mountain Air" unfortunately do not know where to source them from.

Do revert incase anyone has come across ceiling fans which can be easily bought in Mumbai and also sturdy and hassle-free

Cheers
Old 27th June 2012, 16:54   #2930
Senior - BHPian

I think you need a remote controlled switchboard rather than remote controlled fan.

Quick searches got me the following links:
http://stores.ebay.in/neongate/Light..._fsub=14027764
Remote Switches,Remote Switch,Remote Control Switches,Remote Control For Lights,Remote Control For Fans,Remote Control for Fan,Remote Control for Light,Remote Control for Dimmer

I remember seeing such system on tradus for as low as 600rs!
Old 27th June 2012, 17:18   #2931
BANNED

Panasonic refrigerator finally Ok

My son bought a Panasonic BW415VN1N Inverter unit from Panasonic. It was not cooling properly. After a lot of noise the chap came and first diagnosed a bad sensor and replaced it a day later. The problem persisted. Now he took the unit giving a smaller Direct Cool unit as a standby. Then they said they will have to replace the compressor. Finally it was fixed after replacing the card. Excellent products, lousy service. The unit is in Manipal and service is from Udupi.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:40   #2932
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Panasonic refrigerator finally Ok

My son bought a Panasonic BW415VN1N Inverter unit from Panasonic. It was not cooling properly. After a lot of noise the chap came and first diagnosed a bad sensor and replaced it a day later. The problem persisted. Now he took the unit giving a smaller Direct Cool unit as a standby. Then they said they will have to replace the compressor. Finally it was fixed after replacing the card. Excellent products, lousy service. The unit is in Manipal and service is from Udupi.
How is it an excellent product if the sensor and compressor broke down?
Old 28th June 2012, 07:09   #2933
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How is it an excellent product if the sensor and compressor broke down?
Looks like the issue was the card all along. The ergonomics is brilliant, this is what I meant. The service guy did not have a clue. The compressor was never an issue, except in his mind.

This brings up another issue worth pondering. One can expect any White Good to have about a decade of life. Now what I am wondering is that if the inverter control card fails in say five years, then will replacements / service be available. In the non-inverter electronics the electronics is pretty standard and by and large there will be substitutes available, even if the vendor says sorry. One more imponderable.
Old 28th June 2012, 08:10   #2934
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
This brings up another issue worth pondering. One can expect any White Good to have about a decade of life. Now what I am wondering is that if the inverter control card fails in say five years, then will replacements / service be available. In the non-inverter electronics the electronics is pretty standard and by and large there will be substitutes available, even if the vendor says sorry. One more imponderable.
I have a Haier Dryer. 3 years after I bought it, there were problems and they repaired it but one particular bearing or some pad (or something like that - some cheap part) they did not have because the model is no longer sold. For a month they kept the dryer and tried to source the part but couldn't. Finally the guy said that I could use the dryer but it will be noisier than before. It's been 3 more years now & the drier is running fine without the part - just a teeny bit noisier.

Anyway, my point - the problem was 2 things - Haier doesn't sell much and also dryers don't sell much in India. I can't do anything about the 2nd, thing, but I am going to buy only the mass market, high volume brands (LG etc). It's like buying a Maruti - even after 20 years, I am sure you will get parts.

Last edited by carboy : 28th June 2012 at 08:16.
Old 28th June 2012, 09:55   #2935
BHPian

Quote:
Anyway, my point - the problem was 2 things - Haier doesn't sell much and also dryers don't sell much in India. I can't do anything about the 2nd, thing, but I am going to buy only the mass market, high volume brands (LG etc). It's like buying a Maruti - even after 20 years, I am sure you will get parts.
Even the mass market items like a Philips Toaster doesnt have basic heating element available for service. I have 2 of them lying with me and when the last one conked off I was forced to buy a new one.
The companies prefer a new sale than a repair - the days of 'repair'/ 'service' are over...
Old 28th June 2012, 10:52   #2936
BHPian

Quote:
I have a Haier Dryer. 3 years after I bought it, there were problems and they repaired it but one particular bearing or some pad (or something like that - some cheap part) they did not have because the model is no longer sold. For a month they kept the dryer and tried to source the part but couldn't. Finally the guy said that I could use the dryer but it will be noisier than before. It's been 3 more years now & the drier is running fine without the part - just a teeny bit noisier.

I went through a similar ordeal recently. I have a Haier front-loading washing machine which worked flawlessly for 4 years but then one day it's drum developed some problems. I have a AMC from Reliance Digital so called them and they took the machine for repairs. After a week I got a call that parts aren't available and it would take some more time to repair it.

This some more time turned out to be more than 2 months; I had to go to Reliance Digital store at least 5-6 times and blast them off. The only positive side is that they have replaces almost all internal parts. Only the outer shell is old, otherwise it's a completely new machine
Old 28th June 2012, 11:54   #2937
BANNED

Quote:
Even the mass market items like a Philips Toaster doesnt have basic heating element available for service. I have 2 of them lying with me and when the last one conked off I was forced to buy a new one.
The companies prefer a new sale than a repair - the days of 'repair'/ 'service' are over...
Try some small corner shops. I have Murphy Richards Drip Coffee Machine. The heating element conked off, the company said the charge to replace it was 1000 Rs. and they would instead offer a new machine at a discounted price of Rs. 1500. I tried 2-3 small shops & finally was able to find one who could repair it. The guy kept it for a week, somehow managed to fit some home made or some other machine's heating element on to it & it works fine. Cost me 400Rs.

And I also have a Prestige Drip Coffee machine. The heating element got screwed there also - but the company replaced it for Rs. 200 including service charge. Which is why I am off Murphy Richards for life.
Old 28th June 2012, 13:08   #2938
BANNED

I think we agree that a toaster or something similar costing, say, under Rs,4k is different from an AC or Refrigerator costing in excess of 25k.

Globally small appliances are designed to be use and throw, repairs are not envisaged. So either you replace it or do the good old jugaad.
Old 28th June 2012, 14:45   #2939
BHPian

The trend from mass market to niche, cheap to costly is getting towards lack of availability of spares/ service options - that is the point I am trying to make....
Old 2nd July 2012, 03:58   #2940
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for a big refrigerator in the 600-700L range. Budget it around 100k, a bit stretchable. Any suggestions?

Was browsing websites and found this to be pretty good in terms of space, organization and looks.

French Door Refrigerators, French Door Fridge, Big French: Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd

My current 300L whirlpool is on its deathbed and I want something that lasts me at least 8-10 years. I need as much space as possible as I shop for groceries only once every two weeks. I'm too lazy to go to the market often.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks