Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 23:59   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Convestion/Microwave Combo: Do you need it?

If baking, roasting and oven cooking in general is usual for you, or you want to try it, then go for it. If you just want to use the microwave for re-heating and steaming, etc, then it is a waste of money.

Consider the needs before shopping!
Old 13th January 2010, 02:30   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We almost bought the IFB machine (in NCR). When asked about delivery time, the guy is like "within 24 hours", atmost 48 hours.
We were like no ways.
Finally got the LG.
They shop guy said 2 hours installation time.
Exactly 20 minutes after purchase we get automated SMS from LG saying our ticket has been opened with so and so ticket number.
One hour later the LG guy calls up, can he come, as the machine arrived from shop.
I tell him to wait and call up shop guy who says its on its way.
2 hours after purchase, machine is with us, and 30 minutes later the installation guys come, and do the job. Within 3 hours we have the working machine.
Thats what I call great service.

We had a doubt about some dip in the rubber gasket, the guy came very next day and showed us that its normal.
LG is miles ahead of competition when it comes to service. Prompt service, mechanics taking appointments before coming, SMS alerts, feedback calls etc will make you feel a privileged customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

If baking, roasting and oven cooking in general is usual for you, or you want to try it, then go for it. If you just want to use the microwave for re-heating and steaming, etc, then it is a waste of money.

We have a convection Microwave at home and it cooks lovely roasted chicken. That said 90% of Indians use the microwave only for reheating so do consider your needs.
Old 13th January 2010, 12:43   #693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I agree with Thad, I have a Rotary Grill/ Convection MW. if you talk about grilling 10 pieces of Chicken, will take 1 hr(in 2 batches of 30 min each) to grill. So you can imagine if there are some guests at home the grill becomes useless because of the time it takes and not to speak of the electricity it will consume during that period.

My suggestion to those wanting grill/ convection function. Buy a bare basic MW only, from LG/ Samsung etc and buy a Bajaj etc Oven/toaster for your grilling and baking needs. Works out much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
We have a convection Microwave at home and it cooks lovely roasted chicken. That said 90% of Indians use the microwave only for reheating so do consider your needs.
I think you meant "griller", convection is for baking, grill for roasting.

Last edited by dadu : 13th January 2010 at 12:45.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:24   #694
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I agree with Thad, I have a Rotary Grill/ Convection MW. if you talk about grilling 10 pieces of Chicken, will take 1 hr(in 2 batches of 30 min each) to grill. So you can imagine if there are some guests at home the grill becomes useless because of the time it takes and not to speak of the electricity it will consume during that period.

My suggestion to those wanting grill/ convection function. Buy a bare basic MW only, from LG/ Samsung etc and buy a Bajaj etc Oven/toaster for your grilling and baking needs. Works out much better.
Dadu, wouldn't the OTG also take the same time to grill the chicken? My question was more with the quality/output. For example, i bake a cake in a OTG and in convection mode in a MW ( using only the convection mode)..would the output the same?

As for requirements, my needs are moderate levels of defrosting, cooking, reheating and occasional baking/grilling.

P.S. A bunch of guys talking about cooking in a automobile forum...it can happen only in t-bhp i guess
Old 13th January 2010, 14:32   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I suspect he did mean convection (excuse my typo!), although I believe a grill/microwave can be used with a chicken, the grill browning the skin.

All but the most basic microwave ovens seem to come with a grill, the higher range ones coming with convection, and something that cooks with steam seems to have come on the market since I last looked, too. I have never used the grill function on my microwave --- but I have always had a cooker with a grill.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 13th January 2010 at 14:33.
Old 13th January 2010, 14:53   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Dadu, wouldn't the OTG also take the same time to grill the chicken? My question was more with the quality/output. For example, i bake a cake in a OTG and in convection mode in a MW ( using only the convection mode)..would the output the same?

As for requirements, my needs are moderate levels of defrosting, cooking, reheating and occasional baking/grilling.

P.S. A bunch of guys talking about cooking in a automobile forum...it can happen only in t-bhp i guess
Depends on the cubic size and the heating coil ratings, OTG usually will have the coil covering most sides whereas in a Microwave its usually at the back with a fan working to circulate the heat (in convection).

OTG will give you more flexibility in choosing the temperature (on higer side) Vs Microwaves. OTG will bake faster than MW although the results will be the same in the end, MW has no advantage here over OTG.

You need to check the Grill and convection power ratings in a MW and compare to that of an OTG power rating for the electricity consumption as it might differ based on sizes.

Quote:
I suspect he did mean convection (excuse my typo!), although I believe a grill/microwave can be used with a chicken, the grill browning the skin.

All but the most basic microwave ovens seem to come with a grill, the higher range ones coming with convection, and something that cooks with steam seems to have come on the market since I last looked, too. I have never used the grill function on my microwave --- but I have always had a cooker with a grill.
Microwave and Convection will cook the food but will not brown/ roast something like chicken which can be done only by a grill.

You can even cook a cake using only MW but then be ready to eat a white (if no added colurs are present) flour cake with no browning et all.

Last edited by dadu : 13th January 2010 at 14:56.
Old 13th January 2010, 18:45   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Microwave and Convection will cook the food but will not brown/ roast something like chicken which can be done only by a grill.
But... an ordinary, non-micorwave, convection oven will roast and brown --- it is just an simple oven with fans to move the heat around so that the temperature is more even.

I'd expect a convection/microwave to do everything a plain oven will do, but (in combination mode) just a bit quicker.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:01   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But... an ordinary, non-micorwave, convection oven will roast and brown --- it is just an simple oven with fans to move the heat around so that the temperature is more even.

I'd expect a convection/microwave to do everything a plain oven will do, but (in combination mode) just a bit quicker.
Agreed, Plain convection in MW or OTG will definitely cook and brown but if you cook meat/ chicken etc it will take more time than the griller for tandoor browning because griller generates more concentrated heat and is always at max, there is no temp setting for griller.

In combination its definitely quicker and I use it sometimes to cook first and then grill to save some time but not much gets saved. Like I said even plain MW will cook but you won't get that tandoor browning.
Old 13th January 2010, 20:03   #699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post

Hah. There is another thread where the same nerds talk about recipes.
Old 13th January 2010, 22:22   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey! We were comparing soap powders not so long ago!

All good stuff
Old 14th January 2010, 08:55   #701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey! We were comparing soap powders not so long ago!

All good stuff
Yeah! and I missed the Top loading WM Vs Front discussions, who says we are nerds
Old 14th January 2010, 13:33   #702
BHPian

Quote:
I meant convection only, it may not be Tandoori chicken in technical sense but then its yumm and without oil.
Old 14th January 2010, 19:55   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anku94 View Post
Thanks Amohit. Can anyone tell me about IFB's after sales service ?
We have a IFB dishwasher. While the service is not as good as the LG service people have mentioned here, it isn't too bad, here in Poona. The machine gave good performance for about 20 days, and after that the results were just not acceptable. The lower rung of the service guys are no good, but when they could not figure out the problem, the upper rung was sent. They were quite ok, but could not figure out the problem either. They themselves recommended to the company that the machine should be replaced... but the company was not ready to do it readily, as they wanted to know what the problem was (or so they said). Finally, to cut a long story short, they replaced the machine after about a dozen visits from the service personnel could not figure out the problem. We had to make do with a machine that did not do its job well for several weeks, in the interim... which was frustrating. But finally, they did replace it.

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th January 2010 at 19:57.
Old 15th January 2010, 00:38   #704
BHPian

After reading all those posts, I'm not gonna go for an IFB...even if they offer an induction plate with it. [Which they were].

I'm thinking of getting this one now. What do you say ??

Convection Microwave Oven (MC 9243JR) For Healthy Cooking | LG Electronics India

BTW, nice discussion...:P
Old 18th January 2010, 11:02   #705
BHPian

Guys, need help

My better half got hooked to south indian food and wants me to get hold of a wet grinder for her. Had been to a couple of places in bangalore, but could not figure out which brand is a better part w.r.t service and reliability.

Can anyone be kind enough to help me out in choosing the same.

Choice is 2 ks one. I have seen the ones with two rollers, 3 rollers etc. Confused on the brands like vijaylakshmi, Ultra, pigeon etc.

Help me guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks