Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2010, 12:56   #1111
BHPian

Quote:
When scratched with equal force, the roughness of the Ceramic Enamel surface increases only 7.5% compared to 106% from conventional stainless steel.
Does seem to be overkill. The scratches on the ceramic sample were, maybe at max, 1/3rd of those on stainless steel sample.

And there was a funny kind of blue texture on the ceramic which, trust me, you wouldn't want on your car.
Old 4th August 2010, 13:35   #1112
BHPian

^^ moreover, ceramic will be more brittle. It will be worse than having a fiber glass body for car!

And I couldnt understand one thing. Are we talking about scratches inside the microwave or the outer surface.

In microwaves we generally keep plastics or glass bowls, that too on a glass plate...where is the question of getting it the interiors scratched?

Regards,
Old 4th August 2010, 14:15   #1113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does seem to be overkill. The scratches on the ceramic sample were, maybe at max, 1/3rd of those on stainless steel sample.

And there was a funny kind of blue texture on the ceramic which, trust me, you wouldn't want on your car.

^^ moreover, ceramic will be more brittle. It will be worse than having a fiber glass body for car!

And I couldnt understand one thing. Are we talking about scratches inside the microwave or the outer surface.

In microwaves we generally keep plastics or glass bowls, that too on a glass plate...where is the question of getting it the interiors scratched?
Guys,

Where are you getting these ideas from. Ceramic is a wonder material, it is an insulator and a very tough material. Some every day uses include pottery, table & cook ware, electric insulators, refractory material, clear coatings on cars (actually top end cars such as Ferrari and Rolls Royce use only ceramic clear coats to keep their surfaces scratch free not merely scratch resistant) and last but not the least coatings in microwaves. Ceramic tiles are also used as heat deflectors on space shuttles and satellite launch vehicles and on satellites themselves.

BTW are there any Llardo collectors or fans here?

Do understand that the coatings are clear coats, the blue that you see in the Samsung microwave is a dye based pattern that is used to give it an appearance different from bare stainless steel. What you are essentially getting is a body made out of stainless steel + blue dye pattern + ceramic clear coat and this is what it essentially looks like after 14 year of everyday use.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-samsung-microwave.jpg  

Last edited by khoj : 4th August 2010 at 14:34.
Old 4th August 2010, 20:51   #1114
Senior - BHPian

^^^ You have explained it well. However its not clear what point you are making thru that picture. Can't see the interiors well. The border looks almost like new, as far as I can make out thru the pic. Are you saying that the coating is as good as new/faded/changed colour?

And is that your own MW that you have been using for 14 years? Which brand?

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th August 2010 at 20:58.
Old 4th August 2010, 21:32   #1115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^ You have explained it well. However its not clear what point you are making thru that picture. Can't see the interiors well. The border looks almost like new, as far as I can make out thru the pic. Are you saying that the coating is as good as new/faded/changed colour?

And is that your own MW that you have been using for 14 years? Which brand?
Not making any point just letting members know what the ceramic coated microwave looks like.

See interior photo attached.

Again, I am not saying anything. Yes as mentioned in my earlier post it is a Samsung bought 14 years ago. The coating has endured well as you can make out from the plates reflection in the sidewalls but at one places it has pitted at the lower border where a metallic cleaning brush was inadvertently used. The once white hooks for the grill & rotating attachment though have gone off white over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Appliance thread-dsc01755.jpg  

Last edited by khoj : 4th August 2010 at 21:35.
Old 5th August 2010, 00:51   #1116
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Interesting. So the thing does seem to last. But some points - I hope your oven been used in convection and/or grill modes quite a bit? Because the microwave mode is obviously not going to be a good test of its durability.

Also it would be interesting to know how stainless steel endures over 14 years in similar conditions. Anybody has one that is so old?
Old 7th August 2010, 17:04   #1117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I have mentioned any 8/4 KG model. Looks like you are looking at a discontinued model. Can you post the model number?
just today I bought a IFB Steam Washer Dryer 9kg/7kg in Pune, the machine will be delivered and installed on monday evening

don't know the entire features as yet, can post details and pictures after delivery
Old 7th August 2010, 17:18   #1118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
1. Yes they are superior to the old pulley system. Reliability is good but since the whole unit is a CBU, repairing (in case required) would be expensive.

2. USP of Direct drive system is less noise and vibrations. IFB have pulley systems.
I was just about to pickup the Direct Drive from IFB today but then chose a Steam Washer Dryer 9/7<pulley> instead,

as for pulley vs. DD, I understand that pulley is easier to manage where as direct motor coupling (DD) is a challenge on high load machine for the need to dynamic balancing

also I think the conventional pulley belted machine have counter weights above the drum and are spring suspended. I haven't witnessed the DD layout personally yet

however, LG I guess has Inverter tech DD Steam Washer Dryer 9/5 in its stable now but at an exhorbitant price of 70K+
Old 7th August 2010, 17:59   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Even my IFB conked off a couple of days back. And the repair guy who comes these days doesn't know what to do. Last time also he had visited 2-3 times, before he could rectify the issue . Maybe we should form a group and complain to higher ups in IFB. Looks like there are many ppl in our forum itself who are facing constant issues with IFB.
Guys, despite experiences such as above I went in for the most expensive and high tech model from IFB over other brands

hear the story...............

just as an FYI, this is the 3 rd replacment machine in our household since 1993. the 1st being IFB, with a change in 2002 with a Whirlppol front loader, which was bought back from the grave atleast thrice before it finally hit the bucket last week

now, I have a mental block against korean, though I have few product in the household and they are really serving fine..but stil..

so..the brands I was considering was Siemens and IFB, with a high degree of inclination towards Siemens as although we have owned IFB in the past with 100% satisfaction, the current sitrualtions of IFB apparently sings a differnt tune altogether

we have a neighbour who bought a siemen wm a year back and he has few more frienfs who are happy owners of Siemens WM, in general Siemens commands good respect in the market, so I started checking out the models, visited all sort of dealers and the website of siemens, it was surprising to see that there was no consistency amongs models thru shops, Siemens does not sell WM directly but thru a distributor called RBS <[COLOR=#008000]www.rbs-home.com[/COLOR]> the models listed on thier site is obsolete and no more available, more than half of the site was not functioning which I checked, called up thier brand shops in Mumbai, he did not have detailed infor but he said he will email me the brouchure, which despite 4 reminders over the day he did no. this obviously spooked me off.. and however good the product may be if they are not serious about it then there is no point. did we not have many reputed global car makers in india falling flat on thier face because of good product but no service netwrok

with no option left, started exploring out IFB and was quite satisfied with the info provided on the site, moreover I found a friend in the circle who helped me to chose the right machine, though a little scared I went ahead with his recommendation which is 99.9% latest technology such as Steam, Washer, Dryer, sprinkle drum, etc just with the DD missing with the payload of 9kg for wash and 7 for dryer, the same will be delivered and installed on Monday evening

we were a little scared of going for such advanced technology but then thought..what the heck..let's just do it

if you guys find the post interesting, will share the experience as per the passing stage

as of now..both hands on my chest!! saying all iss well!!
Old 7th August 2010, 18:22   #1120
BANNED

Very interesting POV, Anupam. How much did you pay for it? Which dealers did you consider?

And yes, let us pray that you do not run into problems in usage.
Old 8th August 2010, 00:15   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Very interesting POV, Anupam. How much did you pay for it? Which dealers did you consider?

And yes, let us pray that you do not run into problems in usage.
how much did I pay?..I dont have the official invoice yet so will disclose the damage a little later

this machine has been bought directly from thier warehouse here in Pune as the machine is not launched as yet and is still a prototype, very likely that the dealers will not have no clue of it, nonetheless it carries the standard warranty and assurance from the manufacturer that they will sort out any complications if so happens

let the machine come on monday, will upload the picture along with full specs from the manual

as for problems in the coming days, all I can say is that I am going in good faith and let's see what happens
Old 8th August 2010, 12:55   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Folks planning to pick Washing machne (Top loader, Automatic)for 6.2kgs spech machine both Samsung and LG cost about 11+K which one you guys suggest?

i dont like LG for some reason hehehhe
Old 8th August 2010, 13:06   #1123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Folks planning to pick Washing machne (Top loader, Automatic)for 6.2kgs spech machine both Samsung and LG cost about 11+K which one you guys suggest?

i dont like LG for some reason hehehhe
check Panasonic and other Japanese brands, specially panasonic have been globally famous for thier top notch top loaders, I have been seeing them since I was a kid, those days people used to get it from abroad and even the semi-auto twin tub was a status symbol, I don't think full auto had arrived by then
Old 8th August 2010, 13:06   #1124
Senior - BHPian

I would recommend Whirlpool for TOP LOAD fully automatic design with a stainless steel drum. I have been using one since last 8 years + .Though my mother who has a Whirlpool front loader machine feels her machine washes better.
Old 8th August 2010, 15:48   #1125
BHPian

Guys, planning to buy an oven for occasional Naan, Pizza and Bread making at home. Got used to ovens in the US of A where almost all houses come equipped with ovens. Can someone suggest me a good energy efficient brand in India that makes ovens?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks