Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2010, 13:36   #1246
Team-BHP Support

Where can I buy an electric knife in India.
Online will also do.

Any recommendation for a good brand.

Usage is cutting meat, poultry and fish.
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:16   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Guys, the baking/grilling bug has bitten and the Microwave is not scratching the Itch.
Need to buy a medium sized OTG, any recommendations?
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:20   #1248
Team-BHP Support

Sammyboy: We use the Sunflame Regency.

Quite satisfied with the performance.
If I remember correctly the price was around Rs 3500.
Old 2nd September 2010, 14:34   #1249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
That's good to know. Just yesterday I ordered the Whirlpool Proton 330L Elite
Congrats ! Is it delivered? From which shop did you buy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Now, how're Whirlpool refrigerators rated in the present market?.
We have 4 1/2yr Whirlpool Iceberg 320L Elite which is working fine so far. Last month we got Whirlpool Protton 330 Dlx. We are seeing a thin layer of ice ( 1or 2mm) on the ceiling of freezer compartment. I have reported to Whirlpool Service center. 2 engineers have visited (one for demo & another to check this problem). He made some adjustments and said if this continuous he will replace the fridge.

Has anyone faced ice forming in freezer compartment in a frost-free refrigerator?
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:11   #1250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sammyboy: We use the Sunflame Regency.

Quite satisfied with the performance.
If I remember correctly the price was around Rs 3500.
Thanks bro Whats the capacity of your OTG? I think 31L should be good.

I saw a Morphy Richards sometime back, it was 28 L and the size seemed perfect. The shopkeeper was asking for about 5.5K so I decided to check here before buying it.
Old 2nd September 2010, 15:14   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
We are seeing a thin layer of ice ( 1or 2mm) on the ceiling of freezer compartment....Has anyone faced ice forming in freezer compartment in a frost-free refrigerator?
Is it in the Elite or Proton? As far as Elite is concerned, nothing of that sort I've observed in the 5+ years. Even the issue that I reported 2-3 days ago seems to be vanished by itself. I don't know how.

I'm not that happy with the explanation provided by Whirlpool engineer. He comes, sees & immediately concludes the issue with the electronic board. But, if its with the board, it should've appeared by now. In last 2 days not even once the issue has croped up. How can an electronic device repair itself?
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:03   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
We have 4 1/2yr Whirlpool Iceberg 320L Elite which is working fine so far. Last month we got Whirlpool Protton 330 Dlx. We are seeing a thin layer of ice ( 1or 2mm) on the ceiling of freezer compartment. I have reported to Whirlpool Service center. 2 engineers have visited (one for demo & another to check this problem). He made some adjustments and said if this continuous he will replace the fridge.

Has anyone faced ice forming in freezer compartment in a frost-free refrigerator?
The name says it all Frost free means no Frost should build inside the refrigerator by its own, unless its spilled water, which anyways cannot be on the ceiling.
Old 2nd September 2010, 16:39   #1253
Senior - BHPian

A few weeks ago, I had asked here if the convection mode in microwave ovens give equivalent results to that of an OTG. Here and elsewhere I got conflicting opinions regarding this.

After baking 2 cakes (not by me, I can't cook for nuts ) I found that our new LG does a pretty good job. It browns the surface of the cakes pretty good. I'm inclined to think that its similar to an OTG, though I really haven't compared and am far from being an "expert").

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd September 2010 at 16:41.
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:00   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
A few weeks ago, I had asked here if the convection mode in microwave ovens give equivalent results to that of an OTG. Here and elsewhere I got conflicting opinions regarding this.

After baking 2 cakes (not by me, I can't cook for nuts ) I found that our new LG does a pretty good job. It browns the surface of the cakes pretty good. I'm inclined to think that its similar to an OTG, though I really haven't compared and am far from being an "expert").
From my personal experience, a convection MW does the same job as an OTG in baking but an OTG might be able to do it faster and hence at lesser electricity usage (assuming the consumption rating/ hr are same).
Old 2nd September 2010, 18:38   #1255
Senior - BHPian

^^^Hmm, are you sure about that? Because I'd guess reducing time means increasing temperature. And that might not be a good idea, as the interior of the cake may not get cooked properly. Anyway, at what max temperature can a OTG cook?

Furthermore, a MW has the option to use dual mode (MW+convection). I'm guessing that should reduce baking time, but don't know what kind of results it gives. Anybody knows?
Old 2nd September 2010, 19:45   #1256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
From my personal experience, a convection MW does the same job as an OTG in baking but an OTG might be able to do it faster and hence at lesser electricity usage (assuming the consumption rating/ hr are same).
I personally prefer gas ovens. We had a Sunflame cooking range thirty years ago and upgraded to a BPL range about 15 years ago. With internal dimension of 2 x 2 x 2 feet you can do practically anything. We regularly make bread, cakes and roasts. With a rotisserie you get mouth watering roasted chicken. I tried microwave, but gas oven is way ahead in terms of size, temperature control and versatility, especially for largish quantities. Microwave is excellent for small lots (less than half a kilo) as it cooks faster if quantity is less.
Old 3rd September 2010, 01:50   #1257
Senior - BHPian

^^^Do gas ovens have automatic temperature controls and timer like a MW?
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:58   #1258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Do gas ovens have automatic temperature controls and timer like a MW?
Temperature control - Yes.
Timer is normally manual in Gas. Most of the cooking in ovens requires manual intervention, hence timer is desirable, but control is not. You do not want your cake to remain in the oven after it is switched off. Recipe for disaster!

Unfortunately very few manufacturers are represented in India. My BPL was basically an Italian make.

Some stuff available in India
Faber Gas Ovens
Siemens Siemens Home Appliances | Product Showroom - Product Showroom - Cooking - Free standing cooker - Free standing cookers - List

The reason I prefer gas is due to uncertainty of electric supply. Further electric cooking is at least two to three times as expensive. Do your own maths a cylinder costs at the most 500 and lasts a month, but geysers can tot up 2000+ in Delhi winters!

The only downside is that these ranges are big, require floor space in the kitchen and are quite expensive (30-60k) in general. But if you are into bread, cakes and roasts for as large family that is the only way to go. These ranges also double up as food warmers for parties.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:07   #1259
BANNED

Actually if the convection mode has 'fan-assist' then it should cook faster,
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:44   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
We purchased the same at Pai and a day later found the same model at Metro for 3k less.
Dont try your luck elsewhere, there is always gimmickry.
Do keep us posted about your purchase, and All the Best.
I do not believe in above statement. Hypercity in Whitefield is selling all appliance even cheaper than METRO. They are not advertising. But once you go there and check prices irrespective of independence day, you will get cheaper deal.

I just bought 32 Litre Microwave with convection and grill - Samsung-CE117ALF for the price of 11549.00 Rupees.

The Home Appliance thread-117alf.jpg

Croma Price: 12,500.00 Rupees.
Pai, Adiswaras price: 13,000.00+ Rupees.

Even HyperCity price is less than my ever trusted price check website Compare features and Shopping Online in India for Mobiles, Laptops, LCD TV, Cameras, Home Theaters, PDA, Automobiles and more

I have mentioned this also in some LCD Thread. They are also selling LCDs and LEDs way cheap than market price. Guys just check "HyperCity" in Whitefield before buying any Home Appliances.

IMHO Pai, Viveks, Adiswaras are just rip you off with your money if you do not survey market. I never prefer these stores.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks