Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 02:32   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

^^^See if Panasonic has one. Their mixies have the best build quality compared to all the others I'v seen in the Indian Market. Price is likely to be significantly higher.

Sharpest knives I'v seen are those inexpensive Made in Germany ones. Fabulous blade. Can't recall the brand. I doubt if any of the fancier and pricier brands will have a blade like that.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 07:50   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
I want to purchase a good Food Processor, I don't know what they can be used for but my mother asked me to look for a good one, Please suggest.
I would suggest Maharajaa Whiteline, very durable. Have one which has lasted for years.

While browsing the channels yesterday came across this channel StarCJ where there was an offer for the Food processor for 2500/- or something. Do check their website for details.

Guys - I am planning to buy a Vaccum cleaner VM1630 model from Black & Decker. Getting it for 6K from Easyday stores in Thane. How's this company and any ideas about their products for durability, availability of spares etc. Kindly advise.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:01   #2748
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
1. See if Panasonic has one. Their mixies have the best build quality compared to all the others I'v seen in the Indian Market. Price is likely to be significantly higher.

2. Sharpest knives I'v seen are those inexpensive Made in Germany ones. Fabulous blade. Can't recall the brand. I doubt if any of the fancier and pricier brands will have a blade like that.
1. I swear by Kenwood. I bought my kitchen centre in the UK in 1989 and it (or rather the liquidizer base) packed up in December 2011. One interesting thing spares are still available but can only be shipped to a European Address. I had bought myself a new Chef. It is expensive (Rs.44k incl. four accessories) but then it is arguably the best. We also had a Sunbeam (same as Oster) Kitchen Centre bought in 1975 which I gave away after my parents death in 1999. There is one US firm who claims to have the sharpest knives (no serrations here).

2. Agree, that German's have the best blades. You may include the Austrians and the Swiss in this group. Make sure you get a Knife Iron to sharpen (we have a Victorinox Iron- Swiss Army Knife fame). Just make sure that the handles can take Dishwashers, if you use one.

Last edited by sgiitk : 5th March 2012 at 10:03.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 10:45   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Need a good quality small refrigerator. 165 ltrs or less. Samsung, LG seem to be the standard easily accessible, serviceable ones. Since I am currently in a remote location, can't access any boutique brands as well. Is there any brand I am missing and should consider in this segment ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dushie View Post
There are few other brands you can look at like whirlpool and Godrej which are also good and value for money. Primarily you should stick between these 4.
Quote:
^^^See if Panasonic has one. Their mixies have the best build quality compared to all the others I'v seen in the Indian Market. Price is likely to be significantly higher.

So finally got a Panasonic Ar190SS refrigerator. Was looking mainly at LG & Samsung, but Panasonic was the only 170/190 ltr 5 star energy with the minimum quote (10K) whereas Samsung 5 star energy rating range started from 12.5K. 11.5K for LG. Ease of transport and service availability were the main criteria. So far I have bought everything from LG keeping these in mind. Let's see where Panasonic experience leads me.

It's made in their Chennai plant and has a 5 year warranty on compressor and 1 year warranty on the body/plastics etc. So far so good.
Old 5th March 2012, 17:36   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
This is a repost(updated) of an earlier post, Top Loader Vs Front Loaders, having used both, Samsung and IFB respectively.

Top Loaders

Overall I am much happier with a Top Loader.
The major minus point of top loaders are that most support only hot water from external sources; they dnt have built in support to heat water.

Last edited by bblost : 5th March 2012 at 22:10. Reason: Removed a part of the large quoted text. Thanks/
Old 5th March 2012, 18:11   #2751
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
1. I swear by Kenwood. I bought my kitchen centre in the UK in 1989 and it (or rather the liquidizer base) packed up in December 2011. One interesting thing spares are still available but can only be shipped to a European Address. I had bought myself a new Chef. It is expensive (Rs.44k incl. four accessories) but then it is arguably the best. We also had a Sunbeam (same as Oster) Kitchen Centre bought in 1975 which I gave away after my parents death in 1999. There is one US firm who claims to have the sharpest knives (no serrations here).

2. Agree, that German's have the best blades. You may include the Austrians and the Swiss in this group. Make sure you get a Knife Iron to sharpen (we have a Victorinox Iron- Swiss Army Knife fame). Just make sure that the handles can take Dishwashers, if you use one.
But do you get Kenwood in the Indian market? And does it have the quality you have experienced? All the brands I'v seen in the market seem to have pathetic quality except Panasonic. Philips would be second (just tolerable).

I'v never seen Swiss made or Austrian made knives here. Once in a while you come across Made in Germany ones, with inexpensive prices like Rs. 25 - 40 or so. IIRC they are usually marketed and packed by local importers. The blades are just fabulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I would suggest Maharajaa Whiteline, very durable. Have one which has lasted for years.

While browsing the channels yesterday came across this channel StarCJ where there was an offer for the Food processor for 2500/- or something. Do check their website for details.
Well, there we go again. I'm sure you are speaking after experiencing Maharaja products maybe a decade old. Their current stuff is utter garbage. I'm pretty sure its Chinese garbage at that. Rather than this, a much better bet would be to go for Made in India brand like Preethi.

There is another Indian brand which I'v heard good words about - Ronald. But they sell thru direct marketing only.

Last edited by Raccoon : 5th March 2012 at 18:14.
Old 5th March 2012, 21:37   #2752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I thought that Maharaja products have exited the market, today went to a few malls but could'nt find Maharaja products will try in local market.

Quote:
Agree, that German's have the best blades. You may include the Austrians and the Swiss in this group. Make sure you get a Knife Iron to sharpen (we have a Victorinox Iron- Swiss Army Knife fame). Just make sure that the handles can take Dishwashers, if you use one.
Ans I thought Kenwood is a well trusted brand? Are these knives with imported quality available in our market?

BTW, what is kitchen center?

P.S: Just saw Vita-Mix food processors online and they have some good line-up but too expensive I liked the Vita-Mix 5000 model but tempted whether should buy online or not.
Old 6th March 2012, 09:24   #2753
BANNED

Quote:
But do you get Kenwood in the Indian market? And does it have the quality you have experienced? All the brands I'v seen in the market seem to have pathetic quality except Panasonic. Philips would be second (just tolerable).

I'v never seen Swiss made or Austrian made knives here. Once in a while you come across Made in Germany ones, with inexpensive prices like Rs. 25 - 40 or so. IIRC they are usually marketed and packed by local importers. The blades are just fabulous.
Yes, Kenwood is available in India (Kenwood - Kenwood food mixers, Kenwood Chef, Food Processor). Even Infibeam (Blender Price India, Buy Kenwood Titanium Chef KM010 Online, Best Blender Reviews - Infibeam.com) were selling it on mail order. I got mine from the Kolkata distributor, and my daughter was able to bargain about 5% off. Also, we replaced the Meat Grinder with an SS Liquidizer bowl.

I will be surprised of the type of knives I am referring to are that cheap. I would expect about 10-20x the price you mention.

Experience with Reliance Digital

We bought a LG F1256NDP Front Loading Washing Machine from the local Reliance Digital Store on Saturday. It was delivered on Sunday. On Monday a couple of people came to install it. They made a mess of it. Obviously they may have experience with top loaders but definitely not with Front Loaders. The mistakes:

1. They removed the shipping bolts but did not remove the rubber bungs from the top holes. When I pointed it out they said it is not required.

Due to a buliders bug (the height at the rear is a shade under 850mm), we have to remove the top cover (we replace it with a sheet of polythene. I heard some clicks and then found the locator in the bungs striking the shipping holes in the drum!

2. They pocketed the caps for the top bolts, all four bolts and two bungs. Now hoe does one ship/move the washer if required.

3. They wanted to lay the outlet at the floor level (as in top loaders). I pointed out that the outlet is above the ground, and there should be a U-bracket for the outlet (I saw one in the showroom as well). Finally we found it and then again the way the chap was trying to insert the hose into the bracket it was obvious that he did not know.

Having had Front Loaders since 1980 I think, I have a fair idea of the job. At the location as inlet tap (3/4" screw), outlet pipe (about 20"above the bottom, and power point all there).

I confirmed from the manual that my view is correct. I am going to call them up today to return the caps, bolts and the two bungs.

Last edited by sgiitk : 6th March 2012 at 09:26.
Old 6th March 2012, 11:50   #2754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I will be surprised of the type of knives I am referring to are that cheap. I would expect about 10-20x the price you mention.
In fact, when I saw that, I thought, whoa! UK pounds, not rupees, because that is what my UK-bought French-made kitchen knives cost. So that is 70-80 x!

There is always a compromise with sharp edges: the harder the steel, the more difficult it will be to sharpen, but the longer it will stay sharp. I don't use stainless-steel kitchen knives, I use high-carbon steel. It is easy to sharpen, gets very sharp, but needs sharpening almost every time it is used. It also goes black, and rusts if not dried after washing. Decades ago, one could get a better edge on these knives, and they were a pro choice: now, extremely good stainless knives are available, and they are much lower-maintenance. Then there's really exotic stuff, like Japanese knives, and hand-made knives, that might cost hundreds of UK pounds. Sell the car and buy a set of knives!

My continuing use of carbon-steel kitchen knives is just a continuation of a personal quirk, and because, hey, that's what I've got, and I'm never, now, going to have budget for a set of high-quality stainless. And I don't cook that much any longer. Even with occasional grinding to restore the shape of the blade, I expect my knives, now, to outlive me. Come to think of it, a couple of them are thirty years old already!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 6th March 2012 at 11:54.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:09   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am going to call them up today to return the caps, bolts and the two bungs.
My uncle was ignorant about the transit bolts, he shifted the washing machine without those and damaged the dampers inside. Where those chaps who came for installment from LG or Reliance. For installing my washing machine a service executive from LG came down and he was quite knowledgeable.
Old 6th March 2012, 14:06   #2756
BANNED

@ecenandu; They were from Reliance. The LG crew is pretty knowledgeable. I called up Reliance. The chap promised to ask his senior engineer to get in touch with me. Obviously, the joker is not in yet!!

I quite know the importance of the shipping or transit bolts. If the jokers do not show up today then I will remove the rubber bungs, and put some masking tape on the holes. Also, I may report to Reliance Corporate. The jokers have opened just a month back and already showing their colours. I will also try and ensure that none of my friends buys from them.

I would have been better off doing the installation myself. I have done at least two similar machines in the past.
Old 6th March 2012, 15:56   #2757
Distinguished - BHPian

The manuals always tell how to install the machines. It is not difficult, and I think we people understand the necessity of levelling the machine better than the installers do.

Our LG installer seemed very good, but he did not know about the rat guard. We were very particular about the rat guard, as the area that our machine is in has only gates, not doors, and rats
Old 6th March 2012, 16:21   #2758
BANNED

Called them up again. Some new chap picked up the phone. Told him that if the machine is not fixed by this evening then I put it out on the Intranet (they will lose a lot of potential customers) and also complain to corporate. He wanted to know who were the engineers, and I told I do not know. Within half an hour one of the chaps called. First he claimed that he had left the plugs, bungs and bolts at my home. I told him I saw him put it in his bag, and fired him that,'Now you are calling me a liar'. Told him that if it is not fixed by 7:00pm I complain to Corporate. The chap says that he is in Unnao area and will come pronto. Let is wait and see. I have every intention of writing to corporate if they do not show up by lunchtime tomorrow.
Old 6th March 2012, 16:49   #2759
Senior - BHPian

I install practically every home appliance well before the installation chaps arrive. All that they do is to verify that the machine is working perfectly.

Most of the appliances come with detailed instruction, which the installation chaps rarely read, hence I always do my own installation.

Last year a novice came to install my window AC - a really no brainer, for all you have to do is to take the old one out and slide the new one in. Well he "forgot" to take the wooden blocks restraining the compressor during transport, and the AC created a terrific racket. One phone call and he realized what he had missed out. So I am extremely careful if an installer comes.
Old 6th March 2012, 18:15   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Kenwood is available in India (Kenwood - Kenwood food mixers, Kenwood Chef, Food Processor). Even Infibeam (Blender Price India, Buy Kenwood Titanium Chef KM010 Online, Best Blender Reviews - Infibeam.com) were selling it on mail order. I got mine from the Kolkata distributor, and my daughter was able to bargain about 5% off. Also, we replaced the Meat Grinder with an SS Liquidizer bowl.

Experience with Reliance Digital

We bought a LG F1256NDP Front Loading Washing Machine from the local
Will have a look at Kenwood soon.

Well, the ones I'm referring to are that cheap! And they have awesome blades. Zero maintenance. They remain sharp for quite a long time - months to years, depending on what you do with them. And at that price you can afford to replace them. Never tried sharpening them. I doubt if there is any advantage of getting pricier and fancier stuff other than bling value.

Good to read that you are giving those vandals a hard time. The worst thing anyone can do is to ruin something right when you take it out of the box. But thats the case with most installation guys and even technicians in India... Reliance or otherwise. Sigh...

Most Viewed